Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
sarcasm

The U.S. Government responds to Ethiopian Government's Sovereignty Objection

Post by sarcasm » 15 Jun 2021, 10:33

"sovereignty does not come into play when you have foreign troops in your country, when your people are crossing borders into other countries, and we’re watching on national TV your people starve to death. And I’ve said and I will say here, as I’ve said in the Security Council, don’t African lives matter? ... This is a manmade disaster. This is manmade - created famine that we’re seeing in Ethiopia. And we have to address this." Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield

United States Mission to the United Nations
Office of Press and Public Diplomacy

For Immediate Release
June 14, 2021

Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield’s Interview with Mike Allen of Axios on HBO

MIKE ALLEN: I’m very blessed. I have two nephews and two nieces who were adopted from Ethiopia. Ethiopia, right now, has the world’s worst famine in 10 years, a human catastrophe particularly in the Tigray region, and you’ve been very assertive about what should be happening.

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I have been very assertive, particularly in New York, and particularly in demanding that my colleagues in the Security Council address this issue in an open meeting.

MIKE ALLEN: But China and Russia are preventing that?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I wouldn’t call out China and Russia, it’s the entire Security Council. There are countries on the Council who have pushed back against holding an open meeting and it’s not just China and Russia.

MIKE ALLEN: What’s their excuse?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: They’re making a number of arguments. One, that this is a sovereignty issue. My view is sovereignty does not come into play when you have foreign troops in your country, when your people are crossing borders into other countries, and we’re watching on national TV your people starve to death. And I’ve said and I will say here, as I’ve said in the Security Council, don’t African lives matter?

MIKE ALLEN: You have taken a personal interest and put yourself out on conflict-driven hunger.

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: Yes. My first event as President of the Security Council was an event on food security. And we have seen what happens in conflict and the impact that it has on communities, and that this is a manmade disaster. This is manmade-created famine that we’re seeing in Ethiopia. And we have to address this.

MIKE ALLEN: You’re a career foreign service officer. And over that whole career you’ve been an advocate for women’s rights. You’ve talked about investment in women and girls as an investment in peace and security.

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: Absolutely. And I have worked on these issues throughout my career. We know that if we educate girls, we empower women, we empower their communities, we empower their nations.

MIKE ALLEN: And is there any hard edge to that? Is there anything that you’re going to insist on as you talk with other leaders, or really push or prod them on?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I will always push for women to be part of the negotiation teams. I will always –

MIKE ALLEN: You notice if they’re not there?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I notice when they’re not there –

MIKE ALLEN: And you call it out?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I notice when they’re not in the room. When I’m in the room –

MIKE ALLEN: And you’ll call –

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: Sometimes I’m the only one. And I will call it out.

MIKE ALLEN: I mean that’s probably been the case a lot. What’s that been like for you?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I raised that in a particular country, before the head of state came in, and the men laughed.

MIKE ALLEN: What country?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: I am not going to tell.

MIKE ALLEN: What continent?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: Africa. Of course.

MIKE ALLEN: What was it like when you started, compared to what it’s like for a rookie, a new, young Foreign Service Officer today?

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: When I walked into the State Department in 1982, there were very few people who looked like me. There were even very few women in senior positions. And we were dealing with a system that didn’t necessarily appreciate the diversity that a woman and a person of color would bring to the table. And I think that has significantly changed. We still have some challenges; it’s not yet perfect. And I would hope that young people who see me – who are black, who are women, who are people of color – will see me as an example for what they could achieve. And I’m hoping that I can use my voice and my presence to give them a reason to be hopeful.

MIKE ALLEN: Madam Ambassador, thank you for mixing it up with Axios on HBO.

AMBASSADOR THOMAS-GREENFIELD: Well, thank you very much. It’s been delightful to speak with you.

https://usun.usmission.gov/ambassador-l ... os-on-hbo/