Ezema
24%
Balderas
62%

Total votes: 180

temari

Poll: Vote! Who will win in "the battleground State", Addis? 11 days Countdown

Post by temari » 10 Jun 2021, 16:35

My guess is Ezema will win but Ezema and Balderas could also split the "anti-pp" vote and hand over the victory to PP. It is all open and we are only speculating. I would be completely surprised if Balderas wins though. In my view that would be bad for the city. I never thought to witness a competitive and unpredictable election in Ethiopia in my life time. Though it is far from being perfect, I thank God nevertheless to witness this day. I feel like I'm lucky!
Last edited by temari on 15 Jun 2021, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: Poll: Vote! Who will win in "the battleground State", Addis? 11 days Countdown

Post by DefendTheTruth » 10 Jun 2021, 16:55

temari wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:35
My guess is Ezema will win but Ezema and Balderas could also split the "anti-pp" vote and hand over the victory to PP. It is all open and we are only speculating. I would be completely surprised if Balderas wins though. In my view that would be bad for the city. I never thought to witness a competitive and unpredictable election in Ethiopia in my life time. Though it is far from being perfect, I thank God nevertheless to witness this day. I feel like I'm lucky!
I hope the citizens of Addis Ababa (and that of Ethiopia) are greatful for and know who did what for them.

Forget BaldiRas, Ezema, which has got some educated members, will never deliver what PP delivered in the last 3 or so years.

People know, hopefully, what is good for them.

temari

Re: Poll: Vote! Who will win in "the battleground State", Addis? 11 days Countdown

Post by temari » 10 Jun 2021, 17:40

DefendTheTruth wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:55
temari wrote:
I hope the citizens of Addis Ababa (and that of Ethiopia) are greatful for and know who did what for them.

Forget BaldiRas, Ezema, which has got some educated members, will never deliver what PP delivered in the last 3 or so years.

Democracy is not about wining this time only but learning for the next time. If Ezema wins this time be assured that it will be compared to PP's 3 years performance and if it won't deliver then it too will be out next time. Democracy is a process of learning for both the parties and the voters. The parties learn how to handle defeat and come back strong next time and the voters learn how to vote for the proper party after voting for the "wrong" party. I don't like Wuleta in politics. Wuleta ends up in disappointment and the feeling of betrayal. The people must be given the freedom to explore and vote for the "wrong" party and learn from their mistakes. That is democracy all about. I do fear that some in PP may take their defeat not lightly and may interpreter it as ethnically motivated vote just like how Arkebe lost in 2005 even though he was popular and performed well as a Mayor. Hopefully the likes of PM Abiy help some radicals in PP to calm down, learn to handle defeat and work hard to come back next time strong. That is what we all lack and have to learn the most. Insisting to win this time by any means is the worst thing PP can do if it loses the election. PP and the PM will be truly tested in Addis.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 11 Jun 2021, 10:45

temari wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 17:40
DefendTheTruth wrote:
temari wrote:

Democracy is not about wining this time only but learning for the next time. If Ezema wins this time be assured that it will be compared to PP's 3 years performance and if it won't deliver then it too will be out next time. Democracy is a process of learning for both the parties and the voters. The parties learn how to handle defeat and come back strong next time and the voters learn how to vote for the proper party after voting for the "wrong" party. I don't like Wuleta in politics. Wuleta ends up in disappointment and the feeling of betrayal. The people must be given the freedom to explore and vote for the "wrong" party and learn from their mistakes. That is democracy all about. I do fear that some in PP may take their defeat not lightly and may interpreter it as ethnically motivated vote just like how Arkebe lost in 2005 even though he was popular and performed well as a Mayor. Hopefully the likes of PM Abiy help some radicals in PP to calm down, learn to handle defeat and work hard to come back next time strong. That is what we all lack and have to learn the most. Insisting to win this time by any means is the worst thing PP can do if it loses the election. PP and the PM will be truly tested in Addis.
I don't like wuleta?

I think the word wuleta is something like a credit (wuleta alebegn = I owe something to a third party).

If you are given wuleta and you didn't pay back, then you will be no more worthy of a wuleta anymore.

I am sometimes puzzled about your thinking logic.

temari

Post by temari » 11 Jun 2021, 11:19

All the resources and the money the politicians are investing belongs to the people. Politicians are just servants and should not act as landlords that are doing a favor aka Wuleta to their “subjects”. That is a distorted view. There is no Wuleta here. The people are the owners of both the resources and the power and can assign anyone to administer their resources as they wish. Period.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:45
temari wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 17:40
DefendTheTruth wrote:
temari wrote:

I don't like wuleta?

I think the word wuleta is something like a credit (wuleta alebegn = I owe something to a third party).

If you are given wuleta and you didn't pay back, then you will be no more worthy of a wuleta anymore.

I am sometimes puzzled about your thinking logic.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 11 Jun 2021, 15:05

temari wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:19
All the resources and the money the politicians are investing belongs to the people. Politicians are just servants and should not act as landlords that are doing a favor aka Wuleta to their “subjects”. That is a distorted view. There is no Wuleta here. The people are the owners of both the resources and the power and can assign anyone to administer their resources as they wish. Period.

I just saw your profile and it says that you have joined this forum in year 2014. It is astonishing that you remained the whole of this time just temari.

If everything belongs to them (the people) and they are the all superior of all and the partys are just there as their servants, then why do they even bother themselves to have one?

Why do these political parties should bother themselves to just get the title of being "servants", what for idiots should they be in that case?

Don't waste your time and go read what you are told to learn to be called "temari", else I would have suggested to the institution that is keeping you as its students all that long and you are unable to learn a simple logic, then you deserved to be dismissed from there and no more earned the title of "temari".

gearhead
Member+

Post by gearhead » 11 Jun 2021, 15:25

The Hunger Games was never ment to be a competition! The amhara matriarchy, her chameleon SOBs and the squatting rent-seeking gurage peddlers enjoy exhibitions.

Watch Hunger Games again; you will find all the characters play themselves out around Addis Ababa political and business environment. All the parasites are depicted very well.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70206672? ... 47225&t=cp

temari

Post by temari » 11 Jun 2021, 16:15

Please don't resort to personal attacks and character defaming. That is a pretty sure sign you are out of arguments. So stick to the issue and argue if you can. You asked why politicians bother to become servants. That is like asking why young men become soldiers and sacrifice their lives for their country. Politicians are just like soldiers who want to serve their country by sacrificing their time, energy and talent for public service. The problem with our culture is that politicians especially those who hold office think themselves not as servants but landlords.

This is may be because of our long feudal history of monarchy. But democracy is here to teach politicians a lesson that they are nothing but public servants and they should be grateful to have the opportunity to server the people. The people are the one that give them the opportunity to serve for one term and when the people say that is enough then politicians should step down graciously. Unless we understand democracy as a LONG process of learning for both the politicians and the people then we will never develop a democratic culture. And it is cultivating and developing the culture that is crucial in a democracy not wining one election. But I'm afraid our Wuleta culture may make some pp politicians and supporters feel betrayed which is learning the wrong lesson.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 15:05
temari wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:19

I just saw your profile and it says that you have joined this forum in year 2014. It is astonishing that you remained the whole of this time just temari.

If everything belongs to them (the people) and they are the all superior of all and the partys are just there as their servants, then why do they even bother themselves to have one?

Why do these political parties should bother themselves to just get the title of being "servants", what for idiots should they be in that case?

Don't waste your time and go read what you are told to learn to be called "temari", else I would have suggested to the institution that is keeping you as its students all that long and you are unable to learn a simple logic, then you deserved to be dismissed from there and no more earned the title of "temari".

temari

Post by temari » 15 Jun 2021, 14:43

Only 5 days left ...
Btw, the vote for Balderas is clearly manipulated on this thread :lol:

temari

Post by temari » 23 Jun 2021, 06:33

From the very few polling stations I could get information, it looks like PP is doing well. The popularity of PM Abiy in Addis Ababa could have helped PP a lot. Especially the adult/elderly population that was also mostly lined up at the poling stations have an emotional attachment to PM Abiy. Even some younger voters told me the opposition is not yet mature and some others were discouraged by the long lines/queues. This is just a personal opinion and the counting/verification is still going on but PP could be positively surprised.

An old lady in Addis was looking for Abiy's picture on the ballot paper even though he only ran in Jimma and not in Addis :lol:

PM Abiy on election day visited እማማ ፊሽካ ምግብ ቤት

PM Abiy today