Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

Revisiting the Trauma of 2020: the Year that Coronavirus Broke Our Collective Hearts and Spirit

Post by teodroseIII » 08 Jun 2021, 14:46

I‘ve lived through a lot of traumatic experiences, from being torn away from my birthland Ethiopia as a seven year old and arriving in America as a political refugee, losing my dad in 2001 to lung cancer, watching my mom struggle with depression for most of my life to losing everything and becoming homeless for two years in 2015, life has been anything but a crystal stair for me. Yet given all those painful memories and the countless bouts of ennui that I’ve endured as a consequence of repressing flashbacks that I did not have the wherewithal to deal with, 2020 stands out as the most trying year that I’ve ever lived through. I write this article as one part therapy to the reflect on the distresses of last year that still haunt me and as a means of giving aid and comfort to others who are still trying to mend from the crucibles of the past 16 months.

When stories about a mysterious illness that had emerged in Wuhan, China started to trickle out at the latter end of 2019, at first I did not pay that much attention. In an era where everything is treated as a national emergency and breaking news has become a business model for mainstream media as a means of drawing eyeballs, I mostly tuned out when the word Coronavirus started to appear in headlines. However, as account after account of a deadly virus wreaking havoc throughout Wuhan started to be pumped into our collective conscience, what started off with nonchalance morphed into a growing apprehension.....continued...

READ FULL ARTICLE AT: https://ghionjournal.com/revisiting-tra ... ts-spirit/