Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Where do heroes go, when they die?

Post by Zmeselo » 07 Jun 2021, 15:04

Where do heroes go, when they die?

By: Rahwa Ghebreab

https://rahwageb.medium.com/where-do-he ... 287f56919c

15 hours ago·

Ambassador Araia Desta, a proud native son of Eritrea, moved to Canada to obtain his Masters Degree in Atmospheric Physics in 1985 from the University of Toronto. He then went on to become a computer programmer for a major petroleum company in Canada. Despite the comforts of his new life, his deep love of country would not allow him to stay in Canada while the armed struggle for Eritrean Independence ensued. Ambassador Araia chose to leave his job and comfortable life in Canada and returned to Eritrea to join the revolution.

He never looked back.

Ambassador Araia survived the ravages of the war and lived to see his beloved Eritrea finally free. For the next thirty years, he would dedicate his life to serving his country in hopes that future generations of Eritreans would never suffer the indignities of colonial occupations and annexation that he witnessed. His commitment to serve did not end until the day he passed away, May 27, 2021.

I had first spoken to Ambassador Araia in 2013, when he was serving as the Permanent Representative of Eritrea to the United Nations. I had graduated from law school and was exploring the possibility of working for the mission, however my heavy law school debt made it impossible. I went on to work in private practice, but chose to focus on renewable energy and infrastructure development, in hopes that I could one day use these skills to make a small contribution towards Eritrea’s development.

I was not alone in this thinking. In March 2019, an Ethiopian friend who I met in New York invited me to attend an energy conference in Addis Ababa that was being held at the Sheraton Hotel. He along with Minister Seleshi announced the launch of Ethiopia National Electrification Program, an effort to extend access to electricity through clean energy sources to all Ethiopians.
I was waiting in the hotel lobby with two of my Ethiopian buddies from New York, when Ambassador Araia arrived. I had called him to see if I could come visit him, while I was in town. He instead came to me, because he knew I could not navigate Addis Ababa on my own.

Ambassador Araia greeted us with a big smile. I introduced him to my friends, who I explained were based in New York. He then said,
I once worked in Manhattan, it is a very energetic city.
Typical of his humility, he did not share that his “work in Manhattan” was serving as the Eritrean Ambassador to the United Nations. I of course had to interject and tell my friends who he was, as it was clear that he would never have.

We sat down to have tea.

Ambassador Araia: How are you? How is your family?

Me: I am fine Ambassador, we are all fine. Thank you for coming all the way over here to meet with me.

I felt the weight of his presence. Here before me was a giant, who committed his entire adult life to serving Eritrea. I did not want to waste such an opportunity to pick his brain, so I skipped the small talk and asked:

Me: Will this peace last, between Eritrea and Ethiopia?

Ambassador Araia: We are fighting for it. Ethiopia has been fragmented for a long time, but this new generation grew up more divided than before. We know their history very well and are fighting to change it, but there are those who wish for us to stay divided.

I thought about this last point. How much history and experience his generation had. How would that knowledge be transferred? How could our generation possibly fill their shoes? I had to ask…

Me: You have so much experience leading, so much knowledge and deep insights about the people, don’t you worry that all the effort you put in will be undermined if the next generation can’t fill your shoes? If there are gaps in knowledge, how can our generation carry the torch?

He smiled and gave me a look, that showed he was not worried one bit.

Ambassador Araia: Every generation becomes equipped with the tools it needs, to solve the problems of its time.

Did he not want us to be burdened by conflicts past and focus on building our future? Was he alluding to succession plans already in place? He continued to share more history lessons, and I became so taken by his wisdom that I left these follow up questions behind.
Ambassador Araia then pulled out his phone, an old semi-smart phone with a cracked screen and told me he had to leave for another appointment. I had to squeeze in one more question.

Me: Don’t you ever get tired? Now is the time for you to retire and go relax in Massawa.

Ambassador Araia laughed and said: Our hands are tied.

This was a phrase I had heard my dad say before when I asked him, when would he take a break from his nearly fifty years of community organizing and nation building. My father and Ambassador Araia, like many other unsung heroes, know full well that Eritrea’s sovereignty and prosperity continues to be under attack. Their love of country is in their dna and won’t allow them to sleep, until there is certainty in Eritrea’s future.

What Ambassador Araia truly meant, I will never know. What I do know is that he served his beloved Eritrea, until the day he died. His unwavering commitment reminds me of the many unsung heroes in Eritrea who keep their heads down and go to work every day to keep the country running, despite the wars, despite the media attacks, despite the low salaries, despite the constant criticisms from their own people.

At a recent Eritrea Independence Day celebration in northern California, I spoke with a veteran and prolific writer of Eritrean history. He told me that he wrote, so that the history of those who died to liberate Eritrea would never be forgotten. He said
I’m not here with them
pointing at the people around him in attendance, and looked up to the sky and said
ane misom iye zelokhu
I am with them (fallen comrades).

Where do heroes go, when they die? Wherever that is, I believe Ambassador Araia is there with them.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Where do heroes go, when they die?

Post by Zmeselo » 07 Jun 2021, 15:31

እናመሰግናለን ክቡር ፕረዚዳንት ኢሳይያስ አፈወርቂ እና በፍቅር የተሞላው ጀግናው የኤርትራ ወታደሮችና ሰፊ ሕዝብ ❤❤.
Adane Haile: @AdaneHaile3

I wish to convey my profound congratulations to H.E @abdulla_shahid, Pres-elect #UNGA76. We have no doubt that under your leadership, UNGA will steer the UN on a more strengthened multilateral cooperation in achieving its objectives.

- HE @stesfamariam, on behalf of #AfricanGroupUN
African Union Mission to the UN: @AfricanUnionUN

Eritrea's tripartite delegation is participating in the 109th International Labour Organisation's virtual conference.

Material support to disabled nationals

By Shabait

https://shabait.com/amp/2021/06/07/mate ... ssion=true

Asmara, 07 June 2021- Eritrean nationals in Sweden, known as “Eri-Childhood”, contributed 100 wheelchairs to disabled nationals.

According to Mr. Gebrehiwet Tekle, head of Physiotherapy Center at the Orotta Referral Hospital, wheelchairs will have a significant contribution in alleviating the problem of the disabled citizens and their caretakers and expressed appreciation for the initiative the members of the “Eri-Childhood” took.

Indicating that the support has been in continuation to the “Eri-Childhood” members have been contributing, Mr. Gebrehiwet said that the wheelchairs have been distributed to all regions.

Mr. Meseret Feshaye, representative of the group, on his part, said that the “Eri-Childhood” group has so far contributed 250 wheelchairs to disabled nationals.

The wheelchairs have been distributed to all-regions; including 50 to the Central region, 20 to the Southern region, 15 to Gash Barka, as well as 5 each to the Anseba, Northern, and Southern Red Sea regions.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 07 Jun 2021, 16:13

Haters gonna hate, but our sistah goes from strength to strength! :lol:

Tiffany Haddish getting offers of up to $3 million for next book

By Ian Mohr

https://pagesix.com/2021/06/07/tiffany- ... next-book/

June 7, 2021

Tiffany Haddish is shopping around a follow-up to her 2017 book, "The Last Black Unicorn."Keith Major
She’s going to spill some tea on Hollywood — literally!

Tiffany Haddish is shopping a follow-up book to her 2017 best-seller, “The Last Black Unicorn,” http://go.pagesix.com/?id=93051X1547100 ... %20%5B0%5D sources exclusively tell us — and she’s already getting offers between $2 million and $3 million for the tome.

Insiders tell us that Haddish, 41, has already written about 80 pages of the book, which is currently making the rounds with publishers. A source added that the book is being repped by Byrd Leavell of UTA, and is so far is getting bids between $2 million and $3 million.

The comedian’s previous book covered how she grew up in foster care in South Central Los Angeles and was a hype-woman at bar mitzvahs before she became famous. (“I was basically the Flava Flav of bar mitzvahs,” she wrote.)

In the new book, sources said there are some hilarious showbiz stories — including an alleged incident when Haddish
drank marijuana tea with Sharon Stone.
But when Stone tried to convince Haddish to join Jane Fonda’s climate protest on the steps of the Capitol at the time, Haddish told Stone that she couldn’t because
they’ll never let me out of jail.

Haddish’s 2017 best-seller, “The Last Black Unicorn,” covered how she grew up in foster care and worked as a hype-woman at bar mitzvahs before she became famous. Gallery Books

In 2019, Fonda famously launched her “Fire Drill Fridays” protests, https://pagesix.com/2019/12/13/sally-fi ... itol-hill/ which got support from stars including Stone, Sally Field, Ted Danson and Rosanna Arquette. Fonda was arrested numerous times https://pagesix.com/2019/11/07/jane-fon ... t-lavenue/ in Washington, DC, during the demonstrations.

Haddish and Stone star together in the new movie “Here Today,” https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/here-toda ... ia-comedy/ directed by Billy Crystal.

Along with the upcoming book, Haddish has been on a roll in Hollywood.

She is being buzzed about as a possible replacement for Ellen DeGeneres https://pagesix.com/2021/05/12/tiffany- ... ime-crown/ after filling in for the daytime host, whose show is ending. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 234951571/ As a fill-in host on “Ellen” last year, Haddish interviewed Fonda — who revealed in their chat that she regretted not sleeping with late singing legend Marvin Gaye https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/1 ... interview/ when she had the chance years ago.

It was also just announced that Haddish will produce and star in an upcoming biopic on Olympian Florence Griffith Joyner, https://variety.com/2021/film/news/tiff ... 234988017/ a.k.a. Flo-Jo.

Off-screen, Haddish has reportedly said that she’s looking into the process of adopting a child. https://pagesix.com/2021/06/02/tiffany- ... ion-plans/ She also confirmed last year that she’s in a relationship with actor-rapper Common. https://pagesix.com/2020/08/04/tiffany- ... er-common/ She said on a podcast at the time:
This is hands down the best relationship I’ve ever been in. Knock on wood! I’ve lost 20 pounds since I’ve been in this relationship.

Haddish, seen here at the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in March, has already written about 80 pages of her next book. Getty Images

Sources further told Page Six recently that her getting into top shape was also to prep for the new role as Flo-Jo.

Haddish’s literary agent, Leavell, has worked on books with Trevor Noah, Ta-Nehisi Coates and LeBron James’ NBA superagent, Rich Paul, among others.

Simon & Schuster’s Gallery Books, which published Haddish’s last book, is apparently in the running again — but it remains to be seen if the price goes too high.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 07 Jun 2021, 17:51

The Athletic’s 10 Euro stars – Alexander Isak: A modern footballing unicorn
https://theathletic.com/2611588/2021/06 ... icorn/?amp

Mighty tribute to Isaac: "Fear him"

Alexander Isak, 21, is being widely acclaimed internationally and has been singled out as "the unicorn of football".

The Swede commands respect in the European Championships.

It is clear that Spain is afraid of him,

says Mundo Deportivo journalist Xabier Isasa.

By: Mattias Tengblad

https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/ ... for-honom/

(Software translation)

With his 17 goals in La Liga, he poked Zlatan Ibrahimovic off the throne. The foremost blue-yellow goal scorer of all time in La Liga, seen over a season, is called Alexander Isak.

On Monday, The Athletic published a longer article about the Swedish star striker. Headlined: "The Athletics 10 European Championship stars - Alexander Isak: The unicorn of modern football".

The article presents Isak, as a striker for the coming decade. A type of player that really should not exist, hence the unicorn metaphor, but which can be found if you know where to look.

The article shows that Isak is part of the rare crowd of strikers who possesses the explosive strength and speed to challenge in depth, while they can act as a target, put frantic pressure on the opponents' back line and also seek out the edges.

Physically, one allows oneself to compare him with a young Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but it is a completely different player who is taken as an example when trying to place Isak in a Premier League context.

Namely Leicester City's top scorer.
Imagine Jamie Vardy, though 1.90 tall and with better dribbles.
"Alexander Isak was absolutely spectacular"

When SportExpressen talks to the Spanish Mundo Deportivo journalist Xabier Isasa, who watches Alexander Isak up close on a daily basis, the image of a young football player who is constantly taking new steps is reinforced.

And versatility is pointed out as the main strength.
Isak stood for a completely outstanding season and was also named player of the year in Real Sociedad. He was especially good after Willian José left in January, it was a key moment for Isak. January. He got more and more playing time at the same time as his self-confidence grew,
says Isasa.
He was absolutely spectacular in the spring.
While Barcelona and Real Madrid have been singled out as stakeholders, the Spanish reporter is skeptical.

Why? They simply can not afford him.
Alexander Isak's buyout clause is just over 700 million and that type of money does not exist in Spain right now,
says Xabier Isasa.
He is an expensive player for any club. It's a lot of money and at this point maybe only bigger clubs in England, with a different financial situation, can actually afford to buy him. But I think he's staying. The club is trying to renew his contract and raise his salary. From what I hear, they are optimistic,
he says.

Spain fears Alexander Isaac

Isasa believes that the Swede is one of the biggest raw materials that Real Sociedad has produced, in a long time. The club has a long tradition of developing and refining players to later sell on to, above all, the Spanish giant clubs.

He is convinced, that Alexander Isak will also go that same route. But, there is no need to be in a hurry.
He is young and has in two seasons, shown that he has an incredible future. If he continues to develop like this, he will one day be one of the great strikers in Europe. But he is still very young and I think the best thing for him is to stay in the Basque Country for a while longer,
he says and continues:
I also think, he will do that. He appears to be, a very smart young man.
Alexander Isak has scored 17 goals in the league, this season. The last time a player under the age of 21 succeeded in that feat was in 2009, when Sergio Agüero made his mark at Atlético Madrid.

The Blågult's (Swedish flag) striker has already had time to score against both, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Expect the Spanish defense to be warned and know what awaits them when the teams face each other, in the European Championship premiere on 14 June.
It is clear, that Spain is afraid of him. He is one of the most dangerous players in Sweden and everyone has seen what he has done in Spain in recent years,
says Xabier Isasa.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 07 Jun 2021, 18:02

ጽኑዕ ህዝቢ። ድሕሪ ነዊሕ ገድሊ ንኹሎም ጸላአቲ ኣብ እስራኤል ዘፍ ኣቢሎም 30 ዓመት ጽምብል ናጽነት ሂር ዪብሉ፡ ጀጋኑ ደቂ ኤረ