Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

Tedros Adhanom; DG of WHO Officially launched Media Campaign against Ethiopia using WHO as a Platform

Post by DefendTheTruth » 18 May 2021, 09:38

WHO Chief: Situation in Ethiopia's Tigray 'Horrific'
By Agence France-Presse
May 18, 2021 04:07 AM
Director General of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a virtual joint news conference with…

Isn't this office supposed to be apolitical? The man seems to have taken the issue into his own hand and malign (perhaps the international media campaign is not going far enough for him) and depicted the situation on the ground something like a hell on earth.

I don't want to downplay the situation without having firsthand knowledge about it but if it is like that, then the primary culprit is his own party, former liberation front of Tigray and he should have put it all into context.

This is outrageous, I think.

https://who.canto.global/s/JF1OG?viewIn ... u5p5v3bs1l

sarcasm

Re: Tedros Adhanom; DG of WHO Officially launched Media Campaign against Ethiopia using WHO as a Platform

Post by sarcasm » 18 May 2021, 10:59

DefendTheTruth wrote:
18 May 2021, 09:38
By Agence France-Presse
Director General of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a virtual joint news conference with…

Isn't this office supposed to be apolitical? The man seems to have taken the issue into his own hand and malign (perhaps the international media campaign is not going far enough for him) and depicted the situation on the ground something like a hell on earth.

I don't want to downplay the situation without having firsthand knowledge about it but if it is like that, then the primary culprit is his own party, former liberation front of Tigray and he should have put it all into context.

I think you only saw a clip of his response. He was asked about the situation in Tigray by Today News Africa correspondent. I don't think anyone can disagree with his response. See below the full session where you could watch the question and answer.

Start from 36:00

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: Tedros Adhanom; DG of WHO Officially launched Media Campaign against Ethiopia using WHO as a Platform

Post by DefendTheTruth » 18 May 2021, 11:14

sarcasm wrote:
18 May 2021, 10:59
DefendTheTruth wrote:
18 May 2021, 09:38
By Agence France-Presse

I think you only saw a clip of his response. He was asked about the situation in Tigray by Today News Africa correspondent. I don't think anyone can disagree with his response. See below the full session where you could watch the question and answer.

Start from 36:00
No, I took my time to watch the whole video of about 50 min.

First his colleague, the guy from Ireland, answered the question and he too tried to depict the situation as grim as possible. That was not enough for Dr. Tedros and he went over again and used all possible words that can help it look like a hell on earth. That is also his right but he is there representing Ethiopia and the WHO is not a politically motivated organisation, as far as I can say.

In all of that he didn't even mention that there is also a blame (even marginally) on the side of his own party, TPLF, which is officially now a terrorist organisation in the country. He said at a point "unprovoked killing" or something similar, which is outrageous.

It seems to me now that his bid for re-electiion to the office is now officially dashed and he is actively campaigning against the government that sent him there to represent its interest. Unfortunate!

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 18 May 2021, 11:57

I think there are some misconceptions that need clearing. Employees of UN organizations do not represent the governments of their home countries. The governments are represented by their Ambassadors.

Keeping silent about an open genocide happening in your country to keep the chances of your re-elections is the lowest low any human being could fall.

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 18 May 2021, 12:01

Eden, you are correct he doesn’t represent Ethiopia. But as WHO head he should avoid giving political press releases. He started with New York Times, and kept going. A bad move.