Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

Professor Berhanu Nega

Post by DefendTheTruth » 17 Apr 2021, 16:17

I have listened to your public speeches on multiple occasions ever since you returned to Ethiopia before 2 or 3 years to lead a democratic and peaceful political movement and I have respect for your engagement for the sake of our country. More than anything you have stated on multiple occasions that you are someone who puts the interest of the country before that of the party, including the party you are its leader. This is a great wisdom, specially in the current setup in our country, where everybody is consumed by all kinds of sectarian and divisive political agendas, with no regard for the future and interests of the country.

I also saw a clip where you were taking part in the so called election debate of political parties and you made a great point, where you stated that Afan Oromo and Amharic can be both official languages of the country, after the decision would be made by a democratic means.

This point was precisely the reason why I expressed my reservation against your newly created political party, EZEMA, after I missed in its public statements and other speeches, the recognition of this vital point in them.

This is not about loving or somehow favoring the Oromo people but it is all about contributing towards the factors which could sustain the stability of the country and remove all kinds of pretexts to incite violence and all kinds of political propaganda in the country in the name of the great Oromo people and depict them as people who are negotiating on the interest of Ethiopia, a country they co-founded and sustained with all sacrifices. Oromo will never negotiate about Ethiopia and its future, only political cadres try to convey such a message and confuse others.

Instituting Afan Oromo as an official language along side Amharic and perhaps also Tigrenya for the first round is just pre-emptying the pretexts used to destabilize our country.

Ethiopia has got many many enemies, like you perhaps know better than I do, so in all of our engagements we should be always cognizant of this fact, in my view.

I have one reservation in the message that was conveyed by the opposing parties that labelled allegations against the encumbent of failing to realize the rule of law, without saying the cases concretely. I do agree the rule of law is not uphold in the country, this will be a great challenge for many many years to come. As someone who is observing from a distance I am not sure if any government can uphold the rule of law in the country right now.

There were number of violences in Oromia that caused a great deal of damage in terms of human lives and properties and the government arrested more than 9000 suspects of the violence in just one of the cases and over a period of few days, according to media reports.

According to this account if just about 4 rounds of such violence may occur in the Oromia region and then the government arrests on average the same number of people that alone will make nearly 30 000 detainees in the Oromia region alone. But such violences occur somewhere else as well and on many occasions.

Just another example: Ethiopia sacrificed a great deal of human lives and material costs to bring the perpetrators of the recent violence in Tigray to justice and the country mobilised almost all of its resources to reign on the unruly bandas (traitors) from Tigray. At the same time many were arrested and the number of people in prison swelled again with that.

As if that alone is not enough (burden) on the government resources of all kinds before we returned back from the battle field in Tigray, there were others who went on a spree of "territory reclaim" and that all also didn't happen in a green field. It is almost like that every part of the country is acting outside of the realm of rule of law, so there is no party in the country that will get all this under control any time soon.

Many of those parties who are presenting themselves as defenders of the "rule of law" in the election debate are actually the violators of the rule of law and truth needs to be told if we want to save the country and defend against all kinds of challenges.

I am not defending any party, be those in power or those trying to assume power, but just trying to say my view in the interest of our common country and its people.

So, it could have been in order if you (and others in the debate) recognised this great challenge, not only for the government but also for the country at large and the achievements the government realized in terms of getting the well orchestrated uprising in Tigray under control before it went out of hand. This was one of the great achievements of Ethiopia in its recent history, probably the second to only Adwa, I guess.

So, political parties should have acknowledged the achievements while labelling all kinds of shortcomings agains those in power to make themselves also credible, in my view.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: Professor Berhanu Nega

Post by DefendTheTruth » 17 Apr 2021, 16:38

See also the following message from those on the receiving end of the blame game.
Please wait, video is loading...

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: Professor Berhanu Nega

Post by DefendTheTruth » 18 Apr 2021, 08:07

For example, what did this guy (Christian Tadele?) say when his camp was in a mission of reclaiming territory recently in Wolkayit and somewheere else about his new found concern of rule of law?

I hope the Ethiopian people will rise up one day and hold such irresponsible actors, who act in the name of free speech and are hell-bent on disturbing the peaceful coexistence of the people of Ethiopia.

Ethiopia will be a better place without such people.

And in the case of Ato Andualem, you have listed a long list of allegations against the incumbent, which is not bad as such, but the problem is how should we know that you could make something better, if you were given the chance to grab power and don't lead us even backwards?

You don't have an iota of experience that you can provide as a testimony for you (better) competence that can make you a better alternative than the incumbent. Without such a proof we are fed up of pure election time rhetoric, without any single proof of your claims.

First win a local electition and show us that you can make better before aspiring to overtake the whole country, we are simply suspicious of such a move.