Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
sarcasm

"Fighting in Tigray has to stop; full humanitarian access has to be provided" EU Council

Post by sarcasm » 23 Feb 2021, 09:09

"Almost four months into the conflict, 80% of the Tigray population of 6 million people remain unreachable. It is a complete black out. Today, four months after the start of the war – because we can call it a war – 80% of the people are still unreachable. And there are areas where fighting is still ongoing and there is no humanitarian access.

On behalf of the Council, I want to do this oral conclusion of our discussion today, that urgent need remains for a full and immediate humanitarian access to Tigray, the need to investigate allegations of severe human rights violations; of ending violence and discrimination; and ask for the respect of international humanitarian law. The [European] External Action Service will produce a project of conclusions which will be approved by written procedure, but I think that I am representing the debate today in the Council if I insist on that the fighting has to stop; full humanitarian access has to be provided; investigations about the allegations of human rights violations and of ending violence and discrimination, and respect of humanitarian law [must be ensured]."

Foreign Affairs Council: Press remarks by High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell
Brussels, 22/02/2021 - 22:00, UNIQUE ID: 210222_19

https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/hea ... borrell_en