Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
banebris2013

Who cares! Typical African politics, specially Ethiopia

Post by banebris2013 » 20 Feb 2021, 21:28

Is the Soon to be held election in May a continuation of the past under the new banner or what?
Where is Ethiopia heading? Are we going to be like china, a one party state, or Russia for that matter? Can someone help?
Why African politics is a politics of "who cares as long as i am in power" type politics? What did the world learn from USA's recent election? if what happened in USA on Jan 6, happens in Africa, it will be a civil war or a successful coup d'état. But US democratic institutions where so strong to overcome the situation, though with few life losses. At the same time Trump will be in the history books as the worst president America has ever had (my opinion).
So what is the goal of Dr Abiy? is he aiming to build strong democratic institutions that enables Ethiopia overcome political upheavals or build one party state like China or Russia where elections are just to extend the life of the government? So which way Ethiopia is heading? When is Africa coming out of the politics of "Who Cares" as long as i am in power?

Jaegol

Re: Who cares! Typical African politics, specially Ethiopia

Post by Jaegol » 20 Feb 2021, 22:17

Nobody really cares
This’s to give the new king legitimacy and give the west a cover that they are working with an elected government in Ethiopia I.e follows their way of working

sun
Member+

Post by sun » 20 Feb 2021, 23:36

banebris2013 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 21:28
Is the Soon to be held election in May a continuation of the past under the new banner or what?
Where is Ethiopia heading? Are we going to be like china, a one party state, or Russia for that matter? Can someone help?
Why African politics is a politics of "who cares as long as i am in power" type politics? What did the world learn from USA's recent election? if what happened in USA on Jan 6, happens in Africa, it will be a civil war or a successful coup d'état. But US democratic institutions where so strong to overcome the situation, though with few life losses. At the same time Trump will be in the history books as the worst president America has ever had (my opinion).
So what is the goal of Dr Abiy? is he aiming to build strong democratic institutions that enables Ethiopia overcome political upheavals or build one party state like China or Russia where elections are just to extend the life of the government? So which way Ethiopia is heading? When is Africa coming out of the politics of "Who Cares" as long as i am in power?

Hmm... :P

I am not a politician but yet I think that elections seen from the perspectives of the ordinary citizens who are mostly rural and about 80% may rather prefer strong and paternalistic government instead of the visible anarchic and highly insecure firefighting of the multiple divided and bickering parties aiming power with no respect for the securities and lively hoods of the ordinary citizens as it happened in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, etc. Even if it may be imperfect election this first time, it may be a school and a learning event to become much more better in the next election, especially after the Covid-19, tplf instigated crises, Sudan and Misir direct and indirect involvements, etc. challenges are over.

It can't be only the PM alone who may be unilaterally dedicated to build strong democratic institutions but also all of those opposition parties whom the PM willingly invited home and some of them freed from jails and concentration camps with clear understanding to engage only in peaceful legal political activities. But sadly some of these oppositions returning from exile and some freed from jail just forgot their contract of peaceful participation policy instead trying to kill the PM, overthrow the government, conduct countrywide chaos and violence, etc.

just for the simple wish of grabbing power by means force and bring about the same old story, dictatorship. By stating issues along this line of thinking I don't mean to behave negative and cultivate bickering habits but only want say that opposition parties also need to see their own negative contributions which may affect how the election and democratic process may advance rather than trying to say that everything which happens does happen due to the PM's unilateral actions or inaction as if the opposition parties are not playing constantly active roles, be it negative and or positive.

The idea is that the next election after the coming election can be better than the coming one and again the election that follows after will be better and better again. Election and democracy needs to be seen as an ongoing process in which case there always chances for the opposition to put themselves in good condition and participate in future elections. Why should it be a matter of life and death for the opposition even if they may not or even able to participate this time unless they are hallucinating and thinking that they have created Ethiopia and as result all Ethiopians need to bow down and warship the creators of Ethiopia.

Last but not, yes we Ethiopians and lots of Africans like the young Prime Minster to be in power because it is a once in 3000 years gift from mother nature for the Oromos also because this same new PM made the much needed peace with Eritrea and most of the African countries, has appointed 50% female to ministerial positions for the first time in Ethiopian history, negotiated and brought back home lots of Ethiopian refugees held in foreign jails and in many cases transported these refuges back home with his own official state plane, etc.

And mind you that the Ethiopian people and whole world knows who is doing the right activities and who is running all over the places trying to grab power through the back door using direct and indirect violence as we have been witnessing in the last some 3 years.

The Oromos and all the other Ethiopians need to support the current PM his government and after his term of office is over then support the next person who takes his place and is in office so that each leader may feel safe and safely concentrate on governance and development so as to transform the country to the next higher level.

sun
Member+

Post by sun » 20 Feb 2021, 23:47

Jaegol wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 22:17
Nobody really cares
This’s to give the new king legitimacy and give the west a cover that they are working with an elected government in Ethiopia I.e follows their way of working
Hmm... 8)

The PM is already more than legitimate due to his conscious and competent positive actions which helped him to get awarded the Great Gold Medal for Peace for the first time in Ethiopian history in 3000 or 150 years. These same recognized and appreciated achievements that led to the Peace award is also the same thing that outraged and enraged all of these envious, jealous and petty Shelemixmaax Qiraqimbo village segment of the opposition tyrants.
:lol:

banebris2013

Post by banebris2013 » 21 Feb 2021, 03:25

sun wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 23:36
banebris2013 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 21:28

Hmm... :P

I am not a politician but yet I think that elections seen from the perspectives of the ordinary citizens who are mostly rural and about 80% may rather prefer strong and paternalistic government instead of the visible anarchic and highly insecure firefighting of the multiple divided and bickering parties aiming power with no respect for the securities and lively hoods of the ordinary citizens as it happened in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, etc. Even if it may be imperfect election this first time, it may be a school and a learning event to become much more better in the next election, especially after the Covid-19, tplf instigated crises, Sudan and Misir direct and indirect involvements, etc. challenges are over.

It can't be only the PM alone who may be unilaterally dedicated to build strong democratic institutions but also all of those opposition parties whom the PM willingly invited home and some of them freed from jails and concentration camps with clear understanding to engage only in peaceful legal political activities. But sadly some of these oppositions returning from exile and some freed from jail just forgot their contract of peaceful participation policy instead trying to kill the PM, overthrow the government, conduct countrywide chaos and violence, etc.

just for the simple wish of grabbing power by means force and bring about the same old story, dictatorship. By stating issues along this line of thinking I don't mean to behave negative and cultivate bickering habits but only want say that opposition parties also need to see their own negative contributions which may affect how the election and democratic process may advance rather than trying to say that everything which happens does happen due to the PM's unilateral actions or inaction as if the opposition parties are not playing constantly active roles, be it negative and or positive.

The idea is that the next election after the coming election can be better than the coming one and again the election that follows after will be better and better again. Election and democracy needs to be seen as an ongoing process in which case there always chances for the opposition to put themselves in good condition and participate in future elections. Why should it be a matter of life and death for the opposition even if they may not or even able to participate this time unless they are hallucinating and thinking that they have created Ethiopia and as result all Ethiopians need to bow down and warship the creators of Ethiopia.

Last but not, yes we Ethiopians and lots of Africans like the young Prime Minster to be in power because it is a once in 3000 years gift from mother nature for the Oromos also because this same new PM made the much needed peace with Eritrea and most of the African countries, has appointed 50% female to ministerial positions for the first time in Ethiopian history, negotiated and brought back home lots of Ethiopian refugees held in foreign jails and in many cases transported these refuges back home with his own official state plane, etc.

And mind you that the Ethiopian people and whole world knows who is doing the right activities and who is running all over the places trying to grab power through the back door using direct and indirect violence as we have been witnessing in the last some 3 years.

The Oromos and all the other Ethiopians need to support the current PM his government and after his term of office is over then support the next person who takes his place and is in office so that each leader may feel safe and safely concentrate on governance and development so as to transform the country to the next higher level.
Sun,
I get where you are coming from. But you did not answer my basic question of "Who cares politics". I can understand your reply as someone who supports Dr Abiy. But discussion about democracy should include the time after PM Abiy as well. So where is Dr Abiy taking Ethiopia? I really want you to take off your supporter hat and give unbiased opinion.