Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
ZEMEN

Question of Loaf of Fresh White Bread.

Post by ZEMEN » 27 Jan 2021, 09:29

How much does Loaf of Fresh White Bread in Eritrea? I just want to compare with Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya. Accordingly i want figure out why the Sudanese always their protest begins with cost of bread. So, we extend this what is the cost in Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti and Uganda. Witch country has the lowest and the highest?

Abe Abraham

Re: Question of Loaf of Fresh White Bread.

Post by Abe Abraham » 27 Jan 2021, 10:40

ZEMEN wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 09:29
How much does Loaf of Fresh White Bread in Eritrea? I just want to compare with Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya. Accordingly i want figure out why the Sudanese always their protest begins with cost of bread. So, we extend this what is the cost in Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti and Uganda. Witch country has the lowest and the highest?
Let me try to answer your question in a simple way. For a loaf of fresh white bread you need flour. To import flour to the Sudan you need dollars. The government can not get enough dollars through its banks because the black market guys make sure that people do not get to the banks to exchange their dollars for local currency. So, the amount of flour imported is not enough to satisfy the needs of the country. Very expensive and small loaf of bread ( I heard a guy on youtube stating that he would need four of the small ( for profit ) loaves of bread for each meal to somewhat get satisfied. The government is now trying to fight cheating by selling bread like tomatoes based on weight. ) and scarce ( long bread rows, waiting part of the day, going home without bread, bread finished ! ) makes the lives of the people difficult.

Normally the Sudanese are patient until there is no space to be patient. The problem is that the government can not change the situation unless it gets help from foreign countries and for a very long time. That is difficult. One can get help from friends but not continually and for a very long time.

Sudan is potentially rich in terms of agriculture but as my Sudanese friends told me that agriculture needs a lot of money for investment. It is not something that you start today and you get the benefit tomorrow.

I have to add here that the Sudanese in Khartoum have problem with water shortage while the Nile passes through the capital. Too much racism, religious fanaticism,lack of prioritization .....has put the country in a very bad shape.
Last edited by Abe Abraham on 27 Jan 2021, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

ZEMEN

Post by ZEMEN » 27 Jan 2021, 11:02

Abe Abraham wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 10:40
ZEMEN wrote:
Let me try to answer your question in a simple way. For a loaf of fresh white bread you need flour. To import flour to the Sudan you need dollars. The government can not get enough dollars through its banks because the black market guys make sure that people do not got to the banks to exchange their dollars for local currency. So, the amount of flour imported is not enough to satisfy the needs of the country. Very expensive and small loaf of bread ( I heard a guy on youtube stating that he would need four of the small ( for profit ) loaves of bread for each meal to somewhat get satisfied. The government is now trying to fight cheating by selling bread like tomatoes based on weight. ) and scarce ( long bread rows, waiting part of the day, going home without bread, bread finished ! ) makes the lives of the people difficult.

Normally the Sudanese are patient until there is no space to be patient. The problem is that the government can not change the situation unless it gets help from foreign countries and for a very long time. That is difficult. One can get help from friends but not continually and for a very long time.

Sudan is potentially rich in terms of agriculture but as my Sudanese friends told me that agriculture needs a lot of money for investment. It is not something that you start today and you get the benefit tomorrow.

I have to add here that the Sudanese in Khartoum have problem with water shortage while the Nile passes through the capital. Too much racism, religious fanaticism,lack of prioritization .....has put the country in a very bad shape.
Thanks; i never thought there was much process in to the bread politics. to add to your points, for instance, bread is not as necessary as in Sudan to Ethiopia. Ethiopians and Eritreans their main stable is Injera and bread comes as luxury and the demand of it will be less, while in Sudan that is the stable and the demand is high as well as the cost for bread. Again witch country i listed has the cheapest cost of bread? i am assuming between Eritrea and Ethiopia because of Injera. this just a wild guess.

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 27 Jan 2021, 11:42

ZEMEN wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 11:02
Abe Abraham wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 10:40
ZEMEN wrote:
Let me try to answer your question in a simple way. For a loaf of fresh white bread you need flour. To import flour to the Sudan you need dollars. The government can not get enough dollars through its banks because the black market guys make sure that people do not got to the banks to exchange their dollars for local currency. So, the amount of flour imported is not enough to satisfy the needs of the country. Very expensive and small loaf of bread ( I heard a guy on youtube stating that he would need four of the small ( for profit ) loaves of bread for each meal to somewhat get satisfied. The government is now trying to fight cheating by selling bread like tomatoes based on weight. ) and scarce ( long bread rows, waiting part of the day, going home without bread, bread finished ! ) makes the lives of the people difficult.

Thanks; i never thought there was much process in to the bread politics. to add to your points, for instance, bread is not as necessary as in Sudan to Ethiopia. Ethiopians and Eritreans their main stable is Injera and bread comes as luxury and the demand of it will be less, while in Sudan that is the stable and the demand is high as well as the cost for bread. Again witch country i listed has the cheapest cost of bread? i am assuming between Eritrea and Ethiopia because of Injera. this just a wild guess.

Good points ! The Sudanese have unlearned their traditional way of life and eating kisra ( Sudanese thin, very think injera ). They depend too much on bread with its economic detriment. ( I have seen a middle class Sudanese guy on youtube who is surviving the economic problem and bread shortage in Sudan by baking his own kisra.)

If you want the latest price from Khartoum : for a small bread is 2 Sudanese pounds. There is a plan to introduce a larger bread for 5 pounds.
alrakoba.net

كشف منسقان بلجان التغيير والخدمات في اثنتين من محليات ولاية الخرطوم، عن زيادة مرتقبة في أسعار الخبز المدعوم بمخابز الولاية خلال العشرة أيام المقبلة، لافتين إلى أن الزيادة حسب المقترح المتداول داخل أروقة الجهاز التنفيذي بالولاية؛ خمس جنيهات لقطعة الخبز الواحدة، مع زيادة حجمها، بدلًا عن جنيهين للقطعة الواحدة بالحجم المعتاد.
I do not think that comparison would make sense because you have to take into consideration the buying power of the people concerned and the availability of bread in the market. If bread is cheap in Sudan compared to Ethiopia but still very expensive to the Sudanese and scarce what is the point in making comparison between the two countries.