Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

Breaking! Blind Spots or Calculated Disinformation: What Media Reports on the Conflict in Ethiopia Reveal

Post by teodroseIII » 25 Nov 2020, 13:15

I’ve given up a long time ago on the idea that the mainstream media are honest brokers and arbiters of truth. Long gone are the days of muckrakers, decades of corporate consolidation and billionaires like Jeff Bezos and Rupert Murdoch snapping up one media outlet at a time transformed the news landscape from watchdogs checking power into cash cows for multinational corporation.

However, as much as I’ve come to the realization that the likes of CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post and even “publicly owned” outfits like BBC are there to serve the interests of the status quo instead of rooting out corruption, I have nonetheless been shocked at the way false narratives have been churned out by the international press when it comes to the ongoing conflict in Ethiopia over the past couple of weeks.

I guess it hits close to home because Ethiopia was actually my home until the terrors of the Derg regime forced my family and me to flee to America in 1983. However, like most Ethiopians, though my mind and body are here in the United States, a piece of my heart has always remained in Ethiopia. So when the TPLF initiated a bloody rampage on the night of November 3rd and massacred scores of Ethiopian soldiers in the...continued...

READ FULL ARTICLE AT: https://ghionjournal.com/blind-spots-ca ... -ethiopia/