Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

Conflict Chronicles: Daily Updates on the Conflict in Ethiopia

Post by teodroseIII » 22 Nov 2020, 20:04

What inspired the Crisis Chronicles is a statement put out by Human Right’s Watch Director Gerry Simpson, who tweeted something that was so inflammatory that it took my breath away. He posted, in cryptic ways, that the Ethiopian National Defense Force was about to declare open season on 500,000 Mek’ele civilians. Shocked, I asked for clarification and requested that he provide the source where he got that from. I found out that the source he is citing is a Reuters report which was citing a military officer giving a warning to Mek’ele residents to leave town before the fighting starts.

Let me say from the outset that the military officer’s comments where ham-fisted and had a bit too much bravado for my liking, which is what Gerry Simpson and Reuters jumped on. The officer stated that residents should take precaution to leave the area after which he stated that there will be no mercy. Unlike TPLF, who are shooting of rockets indiscriminately into Gondar and Eritrea in an effort to induce mass casualties, the ENDF is giving advance warning so that residents are not caught in the cross-hairs.

The officer never said directly that the Ethiopian military would have no mercy for civilians, he could have also been saying that about the TPLF militia who have decided to turn the residents of Mek’ele into human shields. It is the height of mendacity to...continued...

READ FULL ARTICLE AT: https://ghionjournal.com/conflict-chron ... -ethiopia/