Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Naga Tuma
Member+

Renaissance 2.0

Post by Naga Tuma » 07 Oct 2020, 19:51

Often times, we discuss something without thinking much about what gave birth to that thing. One can argue that understanding the thing that we discuss without understanding what gave birth to it may not be fully meaningful.

Several years ago, I asked a man who taught about Gada what gave birth to it (ማልቱ ገዳ ዸልቼ?) It appeared to me that he was caught off guard by the question and didn't have an answer. I am not bringing this up here to be critical of him but to show it is a case in point here.

That question can be likened to asking what gave birth to Democracy.

Perhaps, some of the best answers would likely come from ancient Greek philosophers if they were alive today. Nonetheless, a lot of their works have become alive through the works of great thinkers over the ages.

A similar question can be asked about what gave birth to the Torah and subsequent prophetic preachings. One can argue that the most definitive answer for what gave birth to the Torah would come from Moses if he were alive today.

As the name clearly shows, the Renaissance is not something that was born as something new but a rebirth of something that had existed long before the rebirth movement started.

A corollary to understanding what gave birth to something is understanding the labor it takes to bring about that birth.

It can be postulated further that no one can possibly understand the labor of giving birth more than a mother. Granted that this postulation is not far from the truth, at least until scientists come up with some sort of simulation in order to understand it better, only about half of humanity really understands the labor of giving birth. Another corollary can be stated that no one can claim to love her child more than that child's mother.

These are very simple ideas for which no grown up needs a lecture from a layperson.

What I am trying to get at here is starting from very simple ideas in order to suggest their profound implications.

When the late U.S. President Ronald Reagan pronounced a shining city on a hill, it was a simple metaphor for a profound implication.

The 40th President of the U.S. prnounced that metaphor for a country for which a constitution of checks and balances was written more than two centuries ago by the time of that pronouncement.

Notwithstanding the shortfalls of the writters of the constitution, one can argue that there aren't man Americans who understand the labor of writing that constitution more than those who wrote it. One can argue further that as students of Renaissance men in Europe, those writers had a fairly good understanding of not only what led to writing the constitution but also leading a war of independence to live by it.

Nearly two and a half centuries later, a former leader of the country's intellegence agency is painting a dark picture today for the shining city on a hill unless things change in the coming weeks through a democratic process.

This is after watching Donald Trump on June 16, 2015, and September 29, 2020. Much of America likely watched and heard him back then and much of the world also watched and heard him about a week ago. Some Americans have called what they watched about a week ago a s-show. In between those two dates, the words s-hole and s-head have been heard in America.

I would argue that for any rational observer, the character on September 29, 2020, did not change from the one on June 16, 2015. No one needed to be a Mexican in order to observe that.

Someone may argue that the same man had two charactersitics on those two different dates. I would be hardpressed to be convinced about that.

Democratic vitures did not come out of the blue, whether it was in ancient Greece, the Renaissance, the liberté, égalité, fraternité, or the drafting of the U.S. constitution.

Anyone who doesn't understand these virtues well enough but aspires to lead a country that subscribes to the ideals of these vitures through its routinely amended constitution is beholden to neither a monarchy nor a democracy.

A ray of the shining city on a hill was reaching me in Ethiopia's countryside starting from when I was an infant. When I was at that age, my late parents, who were farmers, were able to build a second house fashioned አሜሪካን ቅድ (American cut.) Sadly, it was brought down during the villagization program in Ethiopia in the 1980's.

When I was young, I carried American kettle back and forth to fetch water for my family from local springs. Yes, I grew up drinking untreated water from natural local springs.

In that house, I grew up seeing posters of American celeberties more than Ethiopian ones. My older brothers and sisters somehow found it a hobby to collect them to decorate the rooms of the house. I remember that of Hellen Keller in particular, which was in black and white while the others were in color. I remember hers for its soberiety. I was dumbfounded after arriving in the U.S. that she was visually handicapped.

I have benefited from a meritocratic international education payed for by the American taxpayers.

All of these have not diminished my respect and yearning for democratic vitues. They have reinforced it.

I can't claim to lecture anyone about the virtues of a democratic order. I have no formal training for that at all.

However, I have wondered about the things that led to the birth of various social orders, including the Torah, ancient Greece's democracy, the Renaissance, the writing of the checks and balances in the U.S. constitution by establishing three branches of government.

My simple wonderments have taken me off guard at times.

Several years ago, I was invited by an American acquaintance to attend local Toastmasters meetings, which helps improve public speaking. I agreed. Club members make short prepared speeches, among others, and get positive feedback. In my short speeches, I talked about very simple ideas mostly about the evolution of commonly used words. One of the feedbacks I got from the American was that I "always have something new."

My talk about the words was intentional but that kind of feedback was unexpected.

Another one was by another American acquaintance. During a friendly converstation, an expression came to me naturally about not claiming a victim. I didn't think that I had said anything of siginficant value. The immediate reaction, I suppose a natural one, that I got was this: "I wish there were more people like you in the world."

I don't think that these two Americans are uninformed people. Their reactions have made me value more what I hadn't before hearing those expressions.

Intutively, I think that, perhaps, these kinds of simple ideas may have helped thinkers imagine the threshold between what is rational and what is irrational. Perhaps, understanding that threshold clearly may have helped many in the past and led them to profound ideas and ideals that many choose to live by.

I wish some Renaissance men were around to talk to them in person in order to understand their original thought processes instead of reading about their works and trying to understand them.

Their works of science have made profound contributions to humanity's transformation toward the pursuit of science, as some of the great scientists of our time would assert.

I also think intuitively and based on a very limited study of the evolution of words that just as the original U.S. constitution had shortfalls and had to be amended routinely, Renaissance 1.0 had its shortfalls if for nothing else, for its time of reference in ancient time.

If Renaissance 2.0 can be something that can overcome that shortfall, perhaps, instead of just a shining city on a hill, humanity may be able to have Planet Earth as a shining home in the cosmos.

As much as I was moved when I heard in the news President Macron of France say let us make our planet great again a while back, I am unsure but speculate if he envisions the same shining home of humanity in the cosmos. After all, the French have given the word Renaissance to the world and making our planet great again may well fit to be a call for Renaissance 2.0. At least, I wish.

Lakeshore

Re: Renaissance 2.0

Post by Lakeshore » 07 Oct 2020, 21:37

Kebt Galla you drink your areke and spit here. Get the fffuck out of here stupid

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 07 Oct 2020, 21:52

Naga Tuma wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 19:51
Often times, we discuss something without thinking much about what gave birth to that thing. One can argue that understanding the thing that we discuss without understanding what gave birth to it may not be fully meaningful.

Several years ago, I asked a man who taught about Gada what gave birth to it (ማልቱ ገዳ ዸልቼ?) It appeared to me that he was caught off guard by the question and didn't have an answer. I am not bringing this up here to be critical of him but to show it is a case in point here.

That question can be likened to asking what gave birth to Democracy.

Perhaps, some of the best answers would likely come from ancient Greek philosophers if they were alive today. Nonetheless, a lot of their works have become alive through the works of great thinkers over the ages.

A similar question can be asked about what gave birth to the Torah and subsequent prophetic preachings. One can argue that the most definitive answer for what gave birth to the Torah would come from Moses if he were alive today.

As the name clearly shows, the Renaissance is not something that was born as something new but a rebirth of something that had existed long before the rebirth movement started.

A corollary to understanding what gave birth to something is understanding the labor it takes to bring about that birth.

It can be postulated further that no one can possibly understand the labor of giving birth more than a mother. Granted that this postulation is not far from the truth, at least until scientists come up with some sort of simulation in order to understand it better, only about half of humanity really understands the labor of giving birth. Another corollary can be stated that no one can claim to love her child more than that child's mother.

These are very simple ideas for which no grown up needs a lecture from a layperson.

What I am trying to get at here is starting from very simple ideas in order to suggest their profound implications.

When the late U.S. President Ronald Reagan pronounced a shining city on a hill, it was a simple metaphor for a profound implication.

The 40th President of the U.S. prnounced that metaphor for a country for which a constitution of checks and balances was written more than two centuries ago by the time of that pronouncement.

Notwithstanding the shortfalls of the writters of the constitution, one can argue that there aren't man Americans who understand the labor of writing that constitution more than those who wrote it. One can argue further that as students of Renaissance men in Europe, those writers had a fairly good understanding of not only what led to writing the constitution but also leading a war of independence to live by it.

Nearly two and a half centuries later, a former leader of the country's intellegence agency is painting a dark picture today for the shining city on a hill unless things change in the coming weeks through a democratic process.

This is after watching Donald Trump on June 16, 2015, and September 29, 2020. Much of America likely watched and heard him back then and much of the world also watched and heard him about a week ago. Some Americans have called what they watched about a week ago a s-show. In between those two dates, the words s-hole and s-head have been heard in America.

I would argue that for any rational observer, the character on September 29, 2020, did not change from the one on June 16, 2015. No one needed to be a Mexican in order to observe that.

Someone may argue that the same man had two charactersitics on those two different dates. I would be hardpressed to be convinced about that.

Democratic vitures did not come out of the blue, whether it was in ancient Greece, the Renaissance, the liberté, égalité, fraternité, or the drafting of the U.S. constitution.

Anyone who doesn't understand these virtues well enough but aspires to lead a country that subscribes to the ideals of these vitures through its routinely amended constitution is beholden to neither a monarchy nor a democracy.

A ray of the shining city on a hill was reaching me in Ethiopia's countryside starting from when I was an infant. When I was at that age, my late parents, who were farmers, were able to build a second house fashioned አሜሪካን ቅድ (American cut.) Sadly, it was brought down during the villagization program in Ethiopia in the 1980's.

When I was young, I carried American kettle back and forth to fetch water for my family from local springs. Yes, I grew up drinking untreated water from natural local springs.

In that house, I grew up seeing posters of American celeberties more than Ethiopian ones. My older brothers and sisters somehow found it a hobby to collect them to decorate the rooms of the house. I remember that of Hellen Keller in particular, which was in black and white while the others were in color. I remember hers for its soberiety. I was dumbfounded after arriving in the U.S. that she was visually handicapped.

I have benefited from a meritocratic international education payed for by the American taxpayers.

All of these have not diminished my respect and yearning for democratic vitues. They have reinforced it.

I can't claim to lecture anyone about the virtues of a democratic order. I have no formal training for that at all.

However, I have wondered about the things that led to the birth of various social orders, including the Torah, ancient Greece's democracy, the Renaissance, the writing of the checks and balances in the U.S. constitution by establishing three branches of government.

My simple wonderments have taken me off guard at times.

Several years ago, I was invited by an American acquaintance to attend local Toastmasters meetings, which helps improve public speaking. I agreed. Club members make short prepared speeches, among others, and get positive feedback. In my short speeches, I talked about very simple ideas mostly about the evolution of commonly used words. One of the feedbacks I got from the American was that I "always have something new."

My talk about the words was intentional but that kind of feedback was unexpected.

Another one was by another American acquaintance. During a friendly converstation, an expression came to me naturally about not claiming a victim. I didn't think that I had said anything of siginficant value. The immediate reaction, I suppose a natural one, that I got was this: "I wish there were more people like you in the world."

I don't think that these two Americans are uninformed people. Their reactions have made me value more what I hadn't before hearing those expressions.

Intutively, I think that, perhaps, these kinds of simple ideas may have helped thinkers imagine the threshold between what is rational and what is irrational. Perhaps, understanding that threshold clearly may have helped many in the past and led them to profound ideas and ideals that many choose to live by.

I wish some Renaissance men were around to talk to them in person in order to understand their original thought processes instead of reading about their works and trying to understand them.

Their works of science have made profound contributions to humanity's transformation toward the pursuit of science, as some of the great scientists of our time would assert.

I also think intuitively and based on a very limited study of the evolution of words that just as the original U.S. constitution had shortfalls and had to be amended routinely, Renaissance 1.0 had its shortfalls if for nothing else, for its time of reference in ancient time.

If Renaissance 2.0 can be something that can overcome that shortfall, perhaps, instead of just a shining city on a hill, humanity may be able to have Planet Earth as a shining home in the cosmos.

As much as I was moved when I heard in the news President Macron of France say let us make our planet great again a while back, I am unsure but speculate if he envisions the same shining home of humanity in the cosmos. After all, the French have given the word Renaissance to the world and making our planet great again may well fit to be a call for Renaissance 2.0. At least, I wish.

Interesting read!

Here is Eureka moment for dummies : I being one . I am not sure though if the Eureka moment catapulate Renaissance or Renaissance lay the ground for Eureak moment to come into being ?

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 10 Oct 2020, 09:18

deleted
Last edited by Naga Tuma on 11 Oct 2020, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 11 Oct 2020, 01:33

Lakeshore wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 21:37
Kebt Galla you drink your areke and spit here. Get the fffuck out of here stupid
I can muster the capacity to lower myself down to your level and deploy lexicons from your class.

ኣንተ መሠረተቢስ ኣእምሮ የሌለህ ስድ ኣደግ ክብት። ከላይ ያለዉን ጽፌ የገብስ ኣረቄ ለማጣጣም ሄጄ ነበር። ምኑ ኣናትህ ላይ እንደወጣ ሳትናገር ኣፍህን ትከፍታለህ፣ ኣንተ ክፍት ኣፍ። በቅርቡ የሰማሁትን ሰምቼ ኢትዮጵያ ዉስጥ ጭቃ ለጣፊ መቼ ነዉ የሚነጥፈዉ ብዬ እራሴን ጠይቄ ነበር። እንደኣንተ ኣይነት ጥጃ እያለ መች ይነጥፋል?

Degnet
Senior Member+

Post by Degnet » 11 Oct 2020, 03:49

Naga Tuma wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 01:33
Lakeshore wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 21:37
I can muster the capacity to lower myself down to your level and deploy lexicons from your class.

ኣንተ መሠረተቢስ ኣእምሮ የሌለህ ስድ ኣደግ ክብት። ከላይ ያለዉን ጽፌ የገብስ ኣረቄ ለማጣጣም ሄጄ ነበር። ምኑ ኣናትህ ላይ እንደወጣ ሳትናገር ኣፍህን ትከፍታለህ፣ ኣንተ ክፍት ኣፍ። በቅርቡ የሰማሁትን ሰምቼ ኢትዮጵያ ዉስጥ ጭቃ ለጣፊ መቼ ነዉ የሚነጥፈዉ ብዬ እራሴን ጠይቄ ነበር። እንደኣንተ ኣይነት ጥጃ እያለ መች ይነጥፋል?
I was shocked too,men ale sewn benakeber.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 11 Oct 2020, 08:48

Bitter Ethiopian writing as Noble Amhara who had written a comment and deleted it, aren't you the same guy who preached or watched the preaching to that youing talented ረገዳ dancer to stop it, which is abandoning culture instead of studying and developing it? Just in case you are, that is a living exihibit that you can say Dark Age and Renaissance but understands neither well enough.