Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Naga Tuma
Member+

What does a "respiratory compromise" mean in medical terms?

Post by Naga Tuma » 17 Sep 2020, 18:59

I came across the term "respiratory compromise" for the first time while reading sad news of wildfires. Pardon my ignorance about it but I am not a medical student. So, what does it mean in medical terms? Any physician or medical expert on this forum who can shed some light on what it means in medical terms?

I understand Google may be a good source for getting an explanation. The idea remains hazy to me after scanning a page about it on Wikipedia. Wildfire is not included on the page as one of the factors when I visited the page.

tolcha

Re: What does a "respiratory compromise" mean in medical terms?

Post by tolcha » 17 Sep 2020, 19:57

If you know the term compromise , then you can understand easily. Respiratory system is starts from nose, down to alveoli( a tiny sac like structure used for gas exchange) so respiratory compromise is simply a disorder of you breathing apparatus due many factors: in the case of fire-due to inhalation of hot mixed mixed dirty air, even to the extent of burn of the upper respiratory system could happen, and that would impair your lungs gas exchange capacity and depending on the severity of the compromise, it could be reversible or irreversible leading to recovery with/without chronic complication or death. Hope this would clear your foggy brain about respiratory compromise.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 18 Sep 2020, 03:09

tolcha wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 19:57
If you know the term compromise , then you can understand easily. Respiratory system is starts from nose, down to alveoli( a tiny sac like structure used for gas exchange) so respiratory compromise is simply a disorder of you breathing apparatus due many factors: in the case of fire-due to inhalation of hot mixed mixed dirty air, even to the extent of burn of the upper respiratory system could happen, and that would impair your lungs gas exchange capacity and depending on the severity of the compromise, it could be reversible or irreversible leading to recovery with/without chronic complication or death. Hope this would clear your foggy brain about respiratory compromise.
Wey a simpleton.

You always rush to say something but I have never seen yet anything where you have demonstrated that you are fit in what you say.

Tiago

Post by Tiago » 18 Sep 2020, 03:49

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_compromise

Respiratory compromise describes a deterioration in respiratory function with a high likelihood of rapid progression to respiratory failure and death.[1] Respiratory failure occurs when inadequate gas exchange by the respiratory system occurs, with a low oxygen level or a high carbon dioxide level.

As a primarily respiratory virus, Covid-19 compromises the ability of our lungs to acquire oxygen, producing hypoxia – a harmful biological state where cells lack sufficient levels of our most immediate source of vitality, oxygen.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 18 Sep 2020, 19:59

Tiago,

Thank you for the reference. It clearly shows the cause, in this case Covid-19, causing the compromise. In terms of cause and effect, asphyxiation may be another clear example of the cause of resporatory compromise.

tolcha,

Perhaps, you are equating suffocation to respiratory compromise. I wasn't referring to thermodynamics or aerodynamics as it applies to biological systems.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 08 Jan 2021, 02:48

Another weather news states the following: Forecast models suggest its next act may be its most impressive.

What is impressive about a storm?