Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Yakume
Member+

What regions should I avoid during travels?

Post by Yakume » 15 Sep 2020, 12:22

As of July 2017, I would be very careful of the following.
Oromiya, Amhara, Harari, SNNP and Gambella. My criteria are very simple.
• Any region where there is a war or some sort of extremism going on – the case of Oromiya, Harar and Amhara regions (Oromiya QEERROO, Amhara FANO and SNNP Gurage Zerma).
• Any region where paramilitary militias are on the ground (Oromiya Liyu Hail, especially).
• Gambella to be a mess due to ethnic tension between Gambella people and highlanders.
• As of July 2017, I would be very careful of the following.
There can be some exceptions here and there, but these are very simple rules. I don’t recommend going there if you are not familiar with the place though. After this year, the above regions could be okay to travel to. They will hopefully get better over time.

Ogaden and Afar regions are the most peaceful religions in the country, and you can travel there without any hesitation.

Tigray region is similar to the Ogaden and Afar regions, but people from the Amhara and Oromiya regions might face some issues related to politics, so I don't advise them to go there.

Fiyameta

Re: What regions should I avoid during travels?

Post by Fiyameta » 15 Sep 2020, 12:37

Just stay in your Kilil Tigray and you'll be fine. But beware that the Birr in your wallet has become obsolete. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yakume
Member+

Re: What regions should I avoid during travels?

Post by Yakume » 15 Sep 2020, 13:02

In 1998, Meles Zenawi changed Birr and because of that was the Eritrean–Ethiopian War from May 1998 to June 2000, with the final peace only agreed to in 2018, twenty years after the initial confrontation.

Now, Meles Zenawi's student changed the Birr and the consequence will be a war Tigray and neighbouring Amhara and Oromo regions with the final peace only agreed to in some years after the initial confrontation.

There was peaceful selections (not elections) in Tigray and Somaliland. Tigray and Somaliland will lead new Ethiopia after Abiyout. Until that time you can visit Ogaden and Afar region. Never trust Tigray politicians who kiss children and women, whose eyebrows meet in the middle