Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Post Reply
Zmeselo
Senior Member+
Posts: 21628
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:43

Haile Menkerios, implicated in a fraud in Kenya.

Post by Zmeselo » 13 Sep 2020, 21:38

Nairobi politician caught up in Sh300m military contract scam

Sunday, September 13, 2020


Embakasi East candidate on Jubilee ticket Francis Mureithi follows proceedings at a Nairobi court on December 19,2017 during the his petition on December 19, 2017. He is being investigated for fraud by the DCI.
Photo credit: File | Nation Media Group


By DOMINIC WABALA

https://nation.africa/kenya/news/nairob ... am-1937908

_________________________________________________

What you need to know:

• Several government institutions that were asked to verify the authenticity of the documents used by the suspected fraudsters have confirmed that they are fake.
• A Mumias Sugar Company official told detectives that there was no evidence of a contract for the supply of the bags with Doc Find Company Ltd.

_________________________________________________

A politician in Nairobi is caught up in a suspected fake military tender scheme in which a former senior United Nations official is believed to have lost at least Sh300 million.

Detectives are investigating Mr Francis Mureithi, who unsuccessfully contested the Embakasi East parliamentary seat on a Jubilee Party ticket in 2017.

They are also investigating three other people for their role in the fraud in which Mr Haile Menkerios, a retired Special Representative of the Secretary General and Head of UN office of the African Union in Addis Ababa, was made to believe that he had won lucrative Ministry of Defence tenders.

Documents presented to police and found to be fake, cover five tenders for the supply of millions of jute bags to the Ministry of Defence, construction of a weighbridge at the Export Processing Zone in Athi River and supply of jute bags to cash-strapped Mumias Sugar Company in Kakamega County.

The fraud, said to have taken place between April 2015 and 2017, was masked in a layer of companies through which hundreds of millions of shillings was thought to have been shifted across several bank accounts, a source familiar with the investigation told the Sunday Nation.

Several government institutions that were asked to verify the authenticity of the documents used by the suspected fraudsters have confirmed that they are fake.

Astronomical profits

Mr Mureithi has failed to respond to summons by the investigating officers two times.

In his statement to Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) detectives, Mr Menkerios – who is an Ethiopian – said an Eritrean woman with Kenyan residency, Abeba Weldehaimanot, told him in April 2015 that she knew a reputable young Kenyan businessman with contracts to supply jute bags to the military but needed financiers.

Ms Weldehaimanot then reportedly introduced him to Mr Hussein Osman – another Eritrean – who said the tenders were genuine and that the retired diplomat would make astronomical profits.

The two, together with a Mr Francis Mwaura, are believed to have involved Mr Mureithi at that stage, with the politician supposedly providing the necessary tender details to Mr Menkerios .

A contract between Mr Menkerios and Doc Find Company Ltd was then reportedly drafted in which it was agreed that the former UN official release $235,000 (Sh23.5 million) to Ms Weldehaimanot.

Investigators say the money was then transferred to Doc Find Company Ltd.

For this transaction, the retired diplomat was promised a $23,500 profit immediately after the goods were delivered.

But Mr Menkerios said in the statement he gave police that as he waited for the profit on his investment, he was informed that another lucrative tender to supply more jute bags had been floated by the government.

Mr Menkerios was told he needed to finance that tender as well.

Together with the profits from the previous deal, the amount would be used to service the new tender. He was asked to top-up with $360,000.

Nucleus farm

Investigators believe Ms Weldehaimanot, Mr Osman and Mr Mwaura introduced Wina Trading Company Ltd into the scheme without the knowledge of the retired diplomat.

The three were listed as directors of the company and purported to open a dollar account into which the latest payments were to be deposited.

Investigations have revealed that the company was already operating a Kenya shilling account.

Mr Menkerios said he deposited money into the Wina Trading company account.

A month later and before he was paid his initial investment, Mr Menkerios said he was informed of yet another mouth-watering tender won by Doc Find Company Ltd to build a weighbridge at EPZ Athi River into which Ms Weldehaimanot, Mr Osman, Mr Mwaura, Mr Mureithi and the diplomat were to contribute equally.

He was informed that they had to buy out a company known as New Research Ltd, which had purportedly won the tender but did not have the funds to carry out the work.

EPZ Athi River, in response to a DCI inquiry about the weighbridge, denied there being such contract between it and Doc Find Company Ltd.

Investigations by detectives have since established that New Research Ltd was linked to Mr Mwaura, one of the people the diplomat was “investing” with in the mega project.

While still waiting for the returns on his multiple investments, Mr Menkerios was yet again informed that Doc Find Company Ltd had won another tender to supply 30,000 jute bags per month to Mumias Sugar Company.

He was asked to put in $1 million for another huge profit. The retired envoy told police that he deposited the amount into Wina Trading Company’s dollar account.

When he was again asked to invest in a Jubilee Party flag printing project after Mr Mureithi won the Embakasi East parliamentary primaries, the diplomat declined and instead demanded his money.

Mr Menkerios told detectives that through a series of emails, he was informed by Mr Mureithi that the payments for previous tenders had been delayed and would only be settled after the government released billions of shillings to the troubled Mumias Sugar Company.

The communication included several newspaper cuttings showing the plan by top government officials for a Sh3.2 billion bailout of the sugar miller.

He was also informed that the Department of Defence had instructed banks to release money to suppliers.

A Mumias Sugar Company official told detectives that there was no evidence of a contract for the supply of the bags with Doc Find Company Ltd.

The only previous transaction between the two entities was for the preparation of nucleus farm for planting. Months later, no money had been paid back to the retired diplomat.

Mr Menkerios, who returned to the country recently to pursue his complaint, decided to report the matter to DCI Parklands offices who then initiated investigations.

Police say a lawyer who reportedly witnessed the signing of the contract between the Ministry of Defence and Doc Find Company Ltd has denied any involvement in the tender.

Ms Weldehaimanot for her part, told police that she was introduced to the politician by Mr Osman and Mr Mwaura and once invested Sh25 million with them.

Detectives, however, doubt that as they have not traced such a transaction.

Wina Trading Company Ltd

Investigations have established that it is Mr Osman who made such a deposit into Mr Mureithi’s bank account.

It has further been revealed that Wina Trading Company Ltd into whose account most of the Sh300 million was deposited remained dormant after the money was moved.

Detectives have written to two banks, one from which the money was transferred and the other for receiving it, to inquire whether they conducted the know- your-customer procedures as is required.

Parklands DCI chief David Chebii told the Sunday Nation that he has received the report but added that he could not give details as the matter is still being investigated.
I am aware of the complaint that was filed at our office and we are doing all we can to unravel the truth,
Mr Chebii said.

Three other individuals are expected to be interrogated in the coming days. Mr Mureithi did not immediately respond to Sunday Nation enquiries.

Former Garsen MP and assistant minister Danson Mungatana is facing a court case involving fake military tenders.

[email protected]
Last edited by Zmeselo on 13 Sep 2020, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+
Posts: 21628
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:43

Re: Haile Menkerios, implicated in a fraud in Kenya.

Post by Zmeselo » 13 Sep 2020, 21:54

The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs acknowledged that the Ethiopian gov't 'briefly' detained the controversial Norwegian "researcher" and TPLF sympathizer, Kjetil Tronvoll, at Addis Ababa airport on returning from the just concluded "Illegal and unconstitutional" election in the renegade Tigray ክልል ...



(By Awelo Abdi Abdo) - የወያኔ_ቅጥረኛዉ ፕሮፌሰር ቦሌ ላይ በቁጥጥር ስር ውሏል!!

አሸባሪው ኖሪዌያዊው ፕሮፌሰር Kjetil Tronvoll እና ማንነታቸው ያልታወቁ የተወሰኑ ሰዎች ከመቀሌ ወደ አዲስ አበባ ሲጓዙ ቦሌ አለም አቀፍ አየር መንገድ ላይ በቁጥጥር ስር መዋላቸው ታውቋል!

ምንም እንኳ በአፍሪካ ጉዳዮች ላይ ተመራማሪ ነኝ ቢልም ብዙ ጊዜ የሚጽፋቸው ጽሁፎች ጸረ ኢትዮጵያ የሆኑ ጉዳዮች ላይ ነው። በተለይም ከህዋሀት ጋር ያለው ቅርበት እጅግ የሚገርም ነው። የፌስቡክ እና ትዊተር ገጹን ለጎበኘ ሰው ሰውየው የአፍሪካ ተመራማሪ ሳይሆን የህዋሀት ቃለ አቀባይ እና ኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ የሚከሰቱ የብሄር ግጭቶችን በማራገብ ወደር አይገኝለትም!

ታዲያ ይህ አለም አቀፍ ወንጀለኛ ከሰሞኑ ደግሞ ወደ መቀሌ በተጭበረበረ ቪዛ ገብቶ የጨረቃ ምርጫው ብቸኛ ታዛቢ ሆኗል። ሰውየው መቀሌ የገባው በፌድራል በጀት በሚንቀሳቀሰው በመቀሌ ዩኒቨርሲቲ ግብዣ ሲሆን የኢትዮጵያ መንግስት የሚያውቀው ለምርምር ስራ ብቻ ሀገር ቤት እንደገባ ነው።

እርሱ ግን ህዋሀት የደረበለትን አለም አቀፍ ታዛቢ የሚል ጃኬት ለብሶ በህገወጡ ምርጫ ህገወጥ ስራ ሰርቷል። በአጭሩ በተመራማሪነት ቪዛ ገብቶ በምርጫ ታዛቢነት ተግባር ላይ በመሰማራት ሽብርተኛ መሆኑን በይፋ አስታውቋል!

ሰውየው ይህ ህገወጥ ተግባሩ ከተነቃበት በኃላ እና ማህበራዊ ሚዲያው ላይ ወቀሳ ከደረሰበት በኃላ በትዊተር ገጹ እኔ ተመራማሪ እንጅ ታዛቢ አይደለሁም ብሎ ቀላምዷል። ይሁን እንጅ ሰውየው በዛሬው እለት ቦሌ አየር መንገድ ላይ በቁጥጥር ስር እንደዋለ ታውቋል!

ይህ Kjetil Tronvoll የተባለ ሰው በዜግነት ኖርዌያዊ ሲሆን በአሁኑ ሰአት በBjørknes University College የሰላም እና ግጭት አፈታት መምህር እና የOslo Analytica ዳይሬክተር ነው።

_________

Deported?



__________





Kjetil Tronvoll's failed mission: Spreading terrorist Propaganda and trying to Disrupt 🇪🇷🇪🇹Peace Deal/Create chaos in East-Africa.
(01/09/1961: @yemanekeleta)
Last edited by Zmeselo on 14 Sep 2020, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

Fiyameta
Member
Posts: 1014
Joined: 02 Aug 2018, 22:59

Re: Haile Menkerios, implicated in a fraud in Kenya.

Post by Fiyameta » 14 Sep 2020, 01:37

The much anticipated domino effect from the toppling of the Agame regime in Ethiopia is taking place. The TPLF paid Haile Menkarios millions of dollars to lend his name to their Anti Eritrea smear campaign, but he had no idea that Karma was waiting for him in Kenya. The two Eritreans who took him to the cleaners must be applauded for delivering poetic justice to the corrupt Eritrean quisling. You ain't seen nothin' yet! :oops: :oops:

Zmeselo
Senior Member+
Posts: 21628
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:43

Re: Haile Menkerios, implicated in a fraud in Kenya.

Post by Zmeselo » 14 Sep 2020, 07:24


Dr Bronwyn Bruton
Bronwyn Bruton of the @AtlanticCouncil putting the notorious conflict vulture, Martin Plaut, in his proper place after his attempt at "whitesplaining" TPLF's "democracy". Let's call a spade a spade: The genocidal ethnofascist TPLF is guilty of Crimes Against Humanity

Zmeselo
Senior Member+
Posts: 21628
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:43

Re: Haile Menkerios, implicated in a fraud in Kenya.

Post by Zmeselo » 14 Sep 2020, 08:13



'Living hell': Ethiopians detained in Saudi call for help

Anuj Chopra

https://news.yahoo.com/living-hell-ethi ... UUiyiRjheI_

September 11, 2020


Hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians have left from the Horn of Africa for Saudi Arabia in past years in rickety boats, seeking to reach the kingdom via war-torn Yemen, but many have perished as their boats have capsized

Using a smuggled-in mobile phone, a detained Ethiopian migrant pleaded for help as he described harrowing conditions in a Saudi detention centre -- overcrowded and disease-ridden cells, food scarcity and rising suicides.

Campaigners have called on Saudi Arabia to investigate allegations of the abusive and unsanitary conditions confronting migrants after some began talking to activists and international media using contraband cell phones.
It's a living hell,
a 23-year-old Ethiopian migrant told AFP from a detention centre in southern Jizan province along the Yemen border.

Images published recently by Human Rights Watch showed shirtless and scrawny men huddled together in windowless cells.

Although the exact numbers of detainees is unknown, the pictures triggered global shock, shining a rare spotlight on tightly guarded Saudi detention centres that have long remained out of public view.

Last week, Saudi officials launched a crackdown to seize the cellphones in a bid to prevent further leaks. And visiting Ethiopian diplomats warned detainees to stop speaking out, three migrants locked up in two facilities in the kingdom told AFP.

Held for more than five months, the impoverished migrants who originally escaped Ethiopia for a better life in Saudi Arabia are scraping by with barely enough food and water, the three said.

Clogged toilets are overflowing, and many migrants have developed skin infections and other diseases.
There's no medical care in prison and they don't go out,
Ethiopian activist Lema Zelalem Birhane told AFP, speaking from Addis Ababa.
People have been staying in that prison for more than five months, they didn't see any sunlight for five months.
He is in contact with the detainees and corroborated claims by the migrants to AFP that many people have taken their own lives.

Saudi Arabia's media ministry, the country's Human Rights Commission (HRC) as well as the Ethiopian embassy in Riyadh have not responded to AFP's requests for comment.


Saudi Arabia (AFP)

- 'Dire conditions' -

The New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) identified three main detention facilities frequently cited by migrants -- two in Jizan and another close to the western city of Jeddah.

The International Organization of Migration (IOM) voiced concern over the facilities' "dire conditions".
IOM has been following up closely on the extremely difficult conditions facing Ethiopian migrants in centres in Saudi Arabia,
the UN agency told AFP, adding it was in contact with the Saudi HRC, which is conducting an
internal inquiry on the conditions.
Using people smugglers and rickety boats, hundreds of thousands of poor Ethiopians have undertaken perilous journeys over the past decade from the Horn of Africa to the oil-rich kingdom in search of jobs as domestic helpers, construction workers and animal herders.

Their journey takes them through war-torn Yemen, where Huthi rebels in April forcibly expelled thousands of Ethiopians, accusing them of being "coronavirus carriers", according to migrants and HRW.

The rebels "killed dozens" as the migrants were pushed towards the Saudi border, HRW said.
Saudi border guards then fired on the fleeing migrants, killing dozens more,
it added.

As many headed to a mountainous border region, hundreds were eventually allowed to enter the kingdom and placed in detention.

- 'Silence the migrants' -

Separately, the IOM says Saudi Arabia has deported roughly 10,000 Ethiopians per month since 2017 as it cracked down on undocumented migrants.

The pace slowed earlier this year when Addis Ababa requested a moratorium amid concern the migrants were returning with coronavirus.
Hundreds if not thousands of Ethiopian migrants are now languishing in squalid detention centres in Saudi Arabia,
said Human Rights Watch researcher Nadia Hardman, calling their incarceration
arbitrary and abusive.
Earlier this month, Ethiopia's foreign ministry acknowledged it was "not doing enough" to assist the migrants, while praising Riyadh's "outstanding support" to its citizens.

Addis Ababa appears careful not to antagonise Saudi Arabia, a key investor and source of foreign remittances in Ethiopia.
We migrated from our country to change our lives,
said the 23-year-old migrant, who survived the carnage at the border in April.
We asked the Saudi prison guards to send us back to our country, but they say 'your government does not want you'.
His 21-year-old-wife is locked up in another detention facility near Jeddah along with their one-year-old infant son.

Contacted by AFP, she said pregnant Ethiopian migrants had given birth in unsanitary conditions at her facility as she voiced fears of being cut off from her husband if her phone is impounded.

Activist Birhane confirmed phones were being confiscated, saying the move was
to silence the migrants.

Post Reply