Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

Why are People so harsh against PM Abiy Ahmed and his government?

Post by DefendTheTruth » 09 Sep 2020, 17:36

Why are many of the distractors of PM Abiy Ahmed and his government not willing to give him a lapse or a space and tolerate him just for a while?

I heard an elderly man recently in a public meeting somewhere in Bale region of Oromia asking the public to be patient and give those in power some time to try to address the demands of the public. He added “you had a patience for the preceding time of 27 years and how come you now don’t have a patience when your own people are ruling over the country even for two years?”

Is the condition on the ground of this government’s rule just worse than that of the previous government?
There are many opponents that can gather voices against this government but many of them don’t even say clearly what they are asking from this government. Their complains are mostly concentrated around character assassination of PM Abiy Ahmed himself.

The only policy issue some people raise sometimes is that of a unitary government that they allege the current PM is favoring, that too lacks any detail of how this government or the PM is favoring and what are the concrete proof that this is the case. If there is a tendency towards a unitary government, then the signs are very very subtle in my view.

So, why are they so harsh against him? And most importantly why are they don’t have any patience?

These questions beg answers in order to get a clue about why many of the harsh critiques of the PM are much without a patience, in my view.

tolcha

Re: Why are People so harsh against PM Abiy Ahmed and his government?

Post by tolcha » 09 Sep 2020, 18:23

DefendTheTruth wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 17:36
Why are many of the distractors of PM Abiy Ahmed and his government not willing to give him a lapse or a space and tolerate him just for a while?

I heard an elderly man recently in a public meeting somewhere in Bale region of Oromia asking the public to be patient and give those in power some time to try to address the demands of the public. He added “you had a patience for the preceding time of 27 years and how come you now don’t have a patience when your own people are ruling over the country even for two years?”

Is the condition on the ground of this government’s rule just worse than that of the previous government?
There are many opponents that can gather voices against this government but many of them don’t even say clearly what they are asking from this government. Their complains are mostly concentrated around character assassination of PM Abiy Ahmed himself.

The only policy issue some people raise sometimes is that of a unitary government that they allege the current PM is favoring, that too lacks any detail of how this government or the PM is favoring and what are the concrete proof that this is the case. If there is a tendency towards a unitary government, then the signs are very very subtle in my view.

So, why are they so harsh against him? And most importantly why are they don’t have any patience?

These questions beg answers in order to get a clue about why many of the harsh critiques of the PM are much without a patience, in my view.
I think they are harsh, because their IQ is faster than your dormant brain. You need to go back to school to learn how to understand and react at a speed of light. Gegna!!

Fed_Up
Senior Member+

Post by Fed_Up » 09 Sep 2020, 19:06

ምክኒያቱም ህዝቡ ዱላ እና ጥፊ ነው የለመደው ...ሚኒስትሩን ንቀውታል ። አምባገነን ካልሆንክ መንግስት አትመስለውም። ተጠያቂዎቹ ሃይለስላሰ መንግስት …የደርግ መንግስት እና የደንቆሮዎቹ መንግስት ( ወያኔ) ብቻና ብቻ ናቸው።

እኔ ሚኒስትሩን ብሆን መንበሩን ለጃዋር ሰጥቼ ..ቢራ ይዥ ተለቪዥን እያየሁ እስቅ ነበር '

ደስ የሚለው ግን ብዙሃኑ (ዝምተኛው) ህብረተስብ ዋናው ደጋፊው ነው። የሚንጫጫው አናሳው ቁጥር ደግሞ በቅርቡ ዝም ይላል። ያው የወያኔ ኪስ እስኪደርቅ ነው።

gagi

Post by gagi » 09 Sep 2020, 19:18

Indeed! The silent majority whose support really matters support PM Abiy!

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 09 Sep 2020, 20:13

DefendTheTruth wrote:

These questions beg answers in order to get a clue about why many of the harsh critiques of the PM are much without patience, in my view.
I don't think anyone in the recent history of Ethiopia had gotten as much public support as Abiy has. And many people still don't count most of his shortcomings because they understand that what weyane messed up for 27 years can not be fixed in two years. Here is where he kept on falling: His words and deeds don't match. The people who he put in the position of power are doing the opposite of what he is preaching, time and time again, and they don't pay anything for their mishandling " if it is a mishandling" cause except providing anecdotes and justifications he has not dear to face the problem face on , he just brushing it aside as if nothing happened. If there is one person who consistently showed to say what he meant and demonstrate his conviction of leadership is Somalia kill administrator Mustefe. There are many Ethiopians who give Abiy the benefit of the doubt, but if he keeps on say one thing and the people who he is assigning to do his reform do the opposite of what he says and don't get reprimanded but get a promotion to other position without consequences; the trust drains and he looks more a charlatan than a reformer leader. He is getting closer and closer to be perceived that way.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 17 Sep 2020, 16:11

TGAA wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 20:13
DefendTheTruth wrote:

These questions beg answers in order to get a clue about why many of the harsh critiques of the PM are much without patience, in my view.
I don't think anyone in the recent history of Ethiopia had gotten as much public support as Abiy has. And many people still don't count most of his shortcomings because they understand that what weyane messed up for 27 years can not be fixed in two years. Here is where he kept on falling: His words and deeds don't match. The people who he put in the position of power are doing the opposite of what he is preaching, time and time again, and they don't pay anything for their mishandling " if it is a mishandling" cause except providing anecdotes and justifications he has not dear to face the problem face on , he just brushing it aside as if nothing happened. If there is one person who consistently showed to say what he meant and demonstrate his conviction of leadership is Somalia kill administrator Mustefe. There are many Ethiopians who give Abiy the benefit of the doubt, but if he keeps on say one thing and the people who he is assigning to do his reform do the opposite of what he says and don't get reprimanded but get a promotion to other position without consequences; the trust drains and he looks more a charlatan than a reformer leader. He is getting closer and closer to be perceived that way.
TGAA,

The intention of my post was not to question about why people are opposing the PM and his government for that is one of the basic requirements of building democratic institutions and these are the ones that we all aspire to get to at the end.

Opposing on itself is not the issue, what I am trying to understand is the cause of the intensity of the opposition, because I felt the intensity is markedly more higher even in the face of the preceeding governments of EPRDF (assuming this one is called EPP) and that of the Derg.

Is it worse than the preceeding 2 governments?

If you too admit that this government is not perfect but still better than that of the preceeding, then the reason of the intensity of opposition must be somewhere else. Don't you think?

One of the reason that came to my mind when I asked this question was that this PM is a well versed strategist, hope you don't disagree with my assumption here. Even Prof. Mesfin Wolde Mariam noted that the PM is a good strategist, adding that what he (the PM) is doing is not necessarily for today, but will going to shine for decades to come, as an example he mentioned the job he did with regard to Entoto Park.

Entoto Park, the Prof. said, will not add anything for the currently in dire living condition in the country but it will be a big symbol and pride after some 30 or so years (or somthing very similar in the direction).

Another opposition figure in the country noted, after having visited the Wondemamachoch Park and other finished projects in the capital, saying the PM has raised the bar. He added, if I wish to be the next PM replacing the current, then I have to be also prepared to do more and show that I can do better, which is becoming very difficult considering what the PM has achieved so far (here also in something very similar words).

If the PM is keeping raising the bar, then the next easiest way to do is try to chase him away from position as soon as possible, else the bar will keep raising higher and higher, which is not very friendly or pleasant for an opposition camp of any kind. I just feel this could be the reason, if we are honest to ourselves.

So they have to claim that they have got some "sizeable followers" and as such they can mobilize those followers to help chase the PM from office before Meskerem 30.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 17 Sep 2020, 21:46

I have no I idea how you were able to gauge the intensity of the opposition visa vie the previous two governments. There has been a big reservoir of support form get go for Abiy’s administration, and that support comes from his ProEthiopan stance, which is quite reversal and an achievement in and of itself .After 27 years of weyane’s demonstrated enmity to the country they were reign in, Abiy raised the Ethiopian nationalism in the way that all Ethiopians could proud of. So there is no comparison between the two. Derge is a category by itself. There never was any other government in Ethiopia as inept as Derge was. It was neither a technocrat nor a Nationalist, in true sense of the word. The net result after 17 years of Dearg dictatorship speaks for itself, it passed the baton to the most ardent anti-Ethiopian mafia group in Ethiopan history, Weyanes. I am not one of those people who mistook swordsmanship as sign of nationalism. Derg was the .worst in its ineptitude, and weyanes were the worst sadistic anti-Ethiopian ever to visit upon our land.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance, as the old wise man Socrates had noted. Both were ignorant of the people they were leading
So let us see what Abiy has been doing in comparison; I belive Abiy’s heart is in the right place. That is a good place to start . I give you also he a knack for planning and executing those plans. To be fair also there are limitations put on him by the institutions he inherited. And there are many political variables he has to gaggle along the way to push the needle in the reight direction. However, I do not know whether it is a cocky political calculus or moral cowards, but at times where he needs to take unequivocally clear moral stand, he equivocates. In either case, it is now clear that this equivocation cannot continue. His words should match his deeds to earn or keep his popular support. He needs to tame the us vs them mentality that is widespread in his own party. He needs to set a clear tone regarding the security of Ethiopians in every part of the country. If Mustefe can do it he should be able to do it as well. His tone-deaf response to calamities in different part of the country made most people to question whether he part of the problem or part of the solution. I agree with you though that the work he has done to beautify Addis and his plan to expand on that to include other regions to make the country a better country, and the progress GRD has been a great achievement. Most people did not think his plans would be achievable in many years but he was able to do it in 2 short years. These achievements mean nothing if the people do not feel secure to live in it. So these economic achievements are not exchangeable to the Ethiopian people’s need of security. When the latter is secured, the former gets magnified. Abiy is being measured by what he does at the moment not in comparison to the past two rotten Governments.

AbebeB
Member+

Post by AbebeB » 17 Sep 2020, 22:20

DefendTheTruth wrote:

Because of the following established facts:
1. Abiy is patented liar
2. He is inept
3. He is accustomed to serving his masters but not having his own wisdom. This can simply be illustrated by his harnessing of Amhara on his back although QBO removed TPLF from his head.
4. He is in identify crises
Therefore, he is taking us to cliff.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 18 Sep 2020, 11:01

TGAA wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 21:46
I have no I idea how you were able to gauge the intensity of the opposition visa vie the previous two governments. There has been a big reservoir of support form get go for Abiy’s administration, and that support comes from his ProEthiopan stance, which is quite reversal and an achievement in and of itself .After 27 years of weyane’s demonstrated enmity to the country they were reign in, Abiy raised the Ethiopian nationalism in the way that all Ethiopians could proud of. So there is no comparison between the two. Derge is a category by itself. There never was any other government in Ethiopia as inept as Derge was. It was neither a technocrat nor a Nationalist, in true sense of the word. The net result after 17 years of Dearg dictatorship speaks for itself, it passed the baton to the most ardent anti-Ethiopian mafia group in Ethiopan history, Weyanes. I am not one of those people who mistook swordsmanship as sign of nationalism. Derg was the .worst in its ineptitude, and weyanes were the worst sadistic anti-Ethiopian ever to visit upon our land.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance, as the old wise man Socrates had noted. Both were ignorant of the people they were leading
So let us see what Abiy has been doing in comparison; I belive Abiy’s heart is in the right place. That is a good place to start . I give you also he a knack for planning and executing those plans. To be fair also there are limitations put on him by the institutions he inherited. And there are many political variables he has to gaggle along the way to push the needle in the reight direction. However, I do not know whether it is a cocky political calculus or moral cowards, but at times where he needs to take unequivocally clear moral stand, he equivocates. In either case, it is now clear that this equivocation cannot continue. His words should match his deeds to earn or keep his popular support. He needs to tame the us vs them mentality that is widespread in his own party. He needs to set a clear tone regarding the security of Ethiopians in every part of the country. If Mustefe can do it he should be able to do it as well. His tone-deaf response to calamities in different part of the country made most people to question whether he part of the problem or part of the solution. I agree with you though that the work he has done to beautify Addis and his plan to expand on that to include other regions to make the country a better country, and the progress GRD has been a great achievement. Most people did not think his plans would be achievable in many years but he was able to do it in 2 short years. These achievements mean nothing if the people do not feel secure to live in it. So these economic achievements are not exchangeable to the Ethiopian people’s need of security. When the latter is secured, the former gets magnified. Abiy is being measured by what he does at the moment not in comparison to the past two rotten Governments.
Well, if, among others, the endless call to raise everything they have got (machete, guns of all kinds (illegal or legal), hand-grenade etc.) and start killing anybody who is considered not their own or deemed from the other side of the divide (be it real or perceived) just to raise the pressure on the government to relinquish power to them is not a guage of an intensity of an opposition, which were relatively mild in the two preceeding governments in comparison, then what should be the cause of these efforts?

I see sometimes the exchanges over the social media of the semi illiterate youth and it is all filled with character assassination of the PM, which is what they can offer for now.

I am not sure if all those youths and other mangas of the political scene in the country were so much aroused to open their mouths against the preceeding governments, you may have a different opinion here.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 12 Jun 2021, 12:18

DefendTheTruth wrote:

It seems that the answer is here now, for what ever reason, such a scenario did ring a bell in my mind when I asked the question: " And most importantly why are they don’t have any patience?"

The simple answer is this: the more he stays there, the more they will get separated from their old-age wishes and ambitions, here is the proof.

Sadacha Macca

Post by Sadacha Macca » 12 Jun 2021, 12:58

I get your point, and you maybe correct, to an extent, however in Oromia's particular case: I think it's because, the same faces who ruled over Oromo's since the 1990's, committing various atrocities, [OPDO] are essentially still there, they're just more empowered. OPDO enabled the TPLF to do what it did for decades, it wasn't just tigrayan elites who committed crimes in Oromia, they had tacit, essential, support of OPDO/aka Oromo sell-outs. So, with such a track record, I think any sensible, person can see why a lot of people may be out of patience for the same people they had patience force since the 1990's.
I think it's because, the people who want to select their leaders, freely, without leaders being imposed on them by force. If Abiy and his party are so popular in Oromia, then they'd have no problem competing against OLF, OFC, and any other party, but instead, they are just doing what the TPLF did, and labelling any Oromo parties not affiliated with them, as ''terrorists'', etc.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 12 Jun 2021, 13:55

Sadacha Macca wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 12:58
I get your point, and you maybe correct, to an extent, however in Oromia's particular case: I think it's because, the same faces who ruled over Oromo's since the 1990's, committing various atrocities, [OPDO] are essentially still there, they're just more empowered. OPDO enabled the TPLF to do what it did for decades, it wasn't just tigrayan elites who committed crimes in Oromia, they had tacit, essential, support of OPDO/aka Oromo sell-outs. So, with such a track record, I think any sensible, person can see why a lot of people may be out of patience for the same people they had patience force since the 1990's.
I think it's because, the people who want to select their leaders, freely, without leaders being imposed on them by force. If Abiy and his party are so popular in Oromia, then they'd have no problem competing against OLF, OFC, and any other party, but instead, they are just doing what the TPLF did, and labelling any Oromo parties not affiliated with them, as ''terrorists'', etc.
The narrative of "enabled TPLF" rises again and again and may need to be put into perspective:

There was the path the OLF took at the arrival of TPLF in the country or Oromia and that path was vacate the places for the new arrivals and go back to the "bushes" (or refuge). OLF left, in both cases.

There was also the path former OPDO took at the same time, and it was the one to stay in and fight from within the scene, vacating the scene will never be an alternative, they said. Here the saying of the late Nelson Mandela comes to mind, who said, I will not be someone who will flee my people and "fight" from far away, comes in the support of this path, in my view.

About which road was the better alternative you can decide for yourself now, also with the benefit of the hindsight.

About pushing out of the "opponents", I just want to remind you to get and listen what OMN was broadcasting on live TV to the people in the name of freedom of speech the day after the death of the late Hachalu Hundessa. Just get the video and listen to it and judge for yourself.

But there is one general truth: privilege comes with great responsibility, no matter where and when. Those who failed to realise this, have failed themselves, and there is no reason to blame others for the failure they brought upon themselves now.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 16 Apr 2022, 13:00

DefendTheTruth wrote:
Why are many of the detractors of PM Abiy Ahmed and his government not willing to give him a lapse or a space and tolerate him just for a while?

They fear him and that is why they are so desperate (and harsh) when it comes to their detractions against him.

If they didn't fear him, then they would have simply said "we will get you, no matter how long it may take".

The losers are hopeless and so harsh against him. He is a selfless servant of his nation, the inept cadres will lose one after another, no matter how long it may take. He is transforming his nation, but the effort may take time, it is not easy to tackle such a task of transforming a nation of over 120 millions, mostly lazy and corrupt citizens. Everywhere you turn to, there are plenty of such people in the country, making it hard to do the job over night. It takes wisdom and endurance.