Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Horus
Senior Member+

ጸረ ቄሮዋ ንግስት

Post by Horus » 10 Aug 2020, 21:47

Sam Ebalalehu

Re: ጸረ ቄሮዋ ንግስት

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 10 Aug 2020, 22:36

I like Nigist. I admire Nigist. She is one of a kind. She is one of an example that explains not everything is lost. She is an example that there are Ethiopian kids, even after thirty years of anti-Ethiopian brainwash who remain loving their country , Ethiopia.
Nigist is a hope for those who lost hope. I am an emotional person by nature. And I teared up hearing her many wise statements. A young Ethiopian who speaks Amharic and Oromegna fulhently , who is Moslem, but who believes even religion difference could not divide Ethiopians, is the very example of a true Ethiopian.
Well, today is my night. I will sleep well. And when I wake up tomorrow without a doubt a smile will be on my face. I owe Tigist for that smile.

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 10 Aug 2020, 22:51

ሳም
እኔ ለማቆላመጥ ንግስት አልኳት እንጂ የውነት ስሟ ሌላ ነው ! የጂማ ልጅ እንደ ሆነች አቃለሁ !! በጣም አስገራሚ አርቲኩሌት ወጣት ነች !!!

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 10 Aug 2020, 23:12

I agree, she is articulate, but also honest. As for her name I messed up already. In closing I named her Tigist instead of Negist. That she made my night is a fact. Rarely do I watch videos from beginning to end ; however , I did this time. That girl has a future. She has a great brain not the octogenarian tribal extremist politicians could claim to have.

kibramlak

Post by kibramlak » 12 Aug 2020, 11:00

Wow, what a matured queen, indeed
Those fake prof and others who poison others day in and day out must be ashamed

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 17 Sep 2020, 01:12

I remember coming across the YouTube video under this thread that is now removed. I wished to listen to it again.

If I remember it good enough, it was a strong debate by a young activist with respect to the views of other young activists. It sounded polarized for young activists and qualitatively different from those I remember when I was at an age not far removed from the current ages of these activists.

When I was a freshman in college, one of the brightest students was from Jimma. He was widely expected to "scale up" the score at the end of the first semester.

The day he came back from his vacation at the end of the semester, he came to me and asked me about the results. I told him that they had been posted. He asked me to take a walk with him to where they were posted. I was reluctant to take that walk with him simply because I thought that he might be a little disappointed because of not meeting the highest expectation. Without being explicit about it, I told him that they were posted on the board outside the college's library. He insisted that we take a walk there together. I agreed reluctantly.

After we arrived, he looked at his result and then scanned the results of the other students. Only our school ID numbers were displayed along with our results. I did not ask him what his score was and to this day, I do not know it. After he looked at the results and seeing the result of one of the students that stood out just a little bit, he paused and asked me: "Who is this guy?" (ይሄ ሰዉ ማነዉ?)

I do not remember saying anything or showing any body language. I remember being silent. I remember that no sooner than he asked me the question, he turned toward me and gave me a big hug with the best happiness that I have ever seen him express. That is the Ethiopia that I know, which is my main point here. It was one of the moments when I saw one relegate his personal expectation and get excited about the achievement of another so spontaneously.

Four years later, when one of our classmates was wrongfully disciplined by the leadership of the college, we protested. First we protested through the leadership of a student council. We did not question the discipline, we questioned the process that led to it because it didn't involve a representative of the student who was disciplined. It was a ነገ በእኔ moment for all of us. In fact, it was later found out to be wrong because the student was accused for an expression of another student.

The disciplining body resisted the request from the student council that the process be reviewed. The debate was a little intense that one of the leadership members likened it in passant to the Israeli-Palestinian argument.

When we couldn't go any far with the request through the student council, we protested as a body of students. We sat for hours in front of the office of the school official who led the discipline. We only wanted to talk to him about the disciple with discipline. We did not break a single window. Glass windows were everywhere to be seen around the office where we sat in protest for hours.

If I remember correctly, they relented and decided to talk to us in a hall. It was during that meeting that that bright student from Jimma told one school official እንሌት እየዘጋችሁ ስሩ ቻነል ኑ ትሉናላችሁ after the school official stated that we address our request through a channel.

Our protest was at a time when the new bosses were in town. If I remember correctly, the school officials had called representatives of the new bosses in town to observe or lead the meeting. We didn't relent but argued our case and they initially relented, agreeing that the process would be reviewed. We agreed and thought everything was getting back to normal.

Evidently, overnight, things changed and we were told the next morning that the new bosses in town were going to lead a continued discussion about the case. We went back to the hall for another meeting. Shortly after the meeting started, another new boss in town who was leading the meeting asked me my name when I started to speak about the case. His question made the protesting students furious. One of my best friends stood up and told the new boss in town ask not my name but what I had to say. If I remember correctly, it was at that moment that I waved both my hands up and down right and left to calm the students and told the boss my name. Also, if I remember correctly, no sooner than I started to speak did I notice that all the students in the hall stood up and walked out in a strong protest and had all of us walk back to where we came from, the new boss to town, the school official to his office or residence at that time, and me to my dorm room.

I am not dispensing this here to score a point now about the issue after so many years but to showcase the contrast between a disciplined protest for the right cause and undisciplined protest for whatever cause, whether real or perceived. I hope the young generation might find value in this kind of disciplined expression of views, political or otherwise.