Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
EPRDF

I ain't see no wrong over Obbo Shimeles' speech, why Amharas are so nervous about it.

Post by EPRDF » 09 Aug 2020, 17:18

What was the core message Obbo Abdisa conveyed to his crowd in caafe Oromia that offended Amharas?

He said, in short, we Oromos shall stay on power, we will shape Ethiopia by Oromo image and he added we created Biltsigina just as Woyane had created OPDO to consolidate its hegemony over the rest. He further said by embracing nation, nationalities and our multiculturalism we Oromos will rule the entire Horn in our term.

This was the center of his remark that triggered criticism in the camp of Ethiopianists.

Well for average Ethiopian political observer like myself, the ongoing political battle as obvious it is, it is Oromo nationalism VS Ethiopian nationalism and nothing else.

So-called Ethiopian nationalism is supported mainly by Amhara elites who want to keep Ethiopia that was invented in their image by emperor Minilik hundred year ago. An Ethiopia that denied the existence of its eighty plus beautiful diverse people, and that considered their custom, tradition, religion and way of life as an alien and not Ethiopian.
This kind of mentality is still active in this twenty-first century disguised behind Ethiopia and Ethiopianism so why would one surprise by Obbo Abdisa's speech for his vision of reinventing Ethiopia in Oromo image by dismantling Ethiopia of an Amhara image?

Again for an average Ethiopian like myself it is about to choose the lesser evil and nothing more. Obbo Abdisa at least he said "by embracing our diversity and multiculturalism we will go forward" and right there he scored and hat off for Obbo.

In return on Amharas side, what program do they have for nation and nationalities to live together as equal partners in a country they call her Ethiopia? They have to come out clean on this one, we are watching.

sun
Member+

Re: I ain't see no wrong over Obbo Shimeles' speech, why Amharas are so nervous about it.

Post by sun » 09 Aug 2020, 19:05

EPRDF wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:18
What was the core message Obbo Abdisa conveyed to his crowd in caafe Oromia that offended Amharas?

He said, in short, we Oromos shall stay on power, we will shape Ethiopia by Oromo image and he added we created Biltsigina just as Woyane had created OPDO to consolidate its hegemony over the rest. He further said by embracing nation, nationalities and our multiculturalism we Oromos will rule the entire Horn in our term.

This was the center of his remark that triggered criticism in the camp of Ethiopianists.

Well for average Ethiopian political observer like myself, the ongoing political battle as obvious it is, it is Oromo nationalism VS Ethiopian nationalism and nothing else.

So-called Ethiopian nationalism is supported mainly by Amhara elites who want to keep Ethiopia that was invented in their image by emperor Minilik hundred year ago. An Ethiopia that denied the existence of its eighty plus beautiful diverse people, and that considered their custom, tradition, religion and way of life as an alien and not Ethiopian.
This kind of mentality is still active in this twenty-first century disguised behind Ethiopia and Ethiopianism so why would one surprise by Obbo Abdisa's speech for his vision of reinventing Ethiopia in Oromo image by dismantling Ethiopia of an Amhara image?

Again for an average Ethiopian like myself it is about to choose the lesser evil and nothing more. Obbo Abdisa at least he said "by embracing our diversity and multiculturalism we will go forward" and right there he scored and hat off for Obbo.

In return on Amharas side, what program do they have for nation and nationalities to live together as equal partners in a country they call her Ethiopia? They have to come out clean on this one, we are watching.
Hmm....

I am not a politician to say things about politics but yet I think that the majority of your points are correct and nicely stated but on the other hand you seem to be wrong on your statement I have highlighted above in your comment.

Oromo nationalism is not contradictory to that of the Ethiopian nationalism because Oromos are some 50% of Ethiopians in which case Oromo nationalism can not be said to be against itself unless you have a magic definition of Ethiopia since that magic is with me, (Sun) :P

When it comes to nationalism every single Ethiopian nation and nationality are nationalists. Nationalism by itself is positive phenomena because it helps groups to primarily identify with what they regard as their nation or nationality. Being nationalists and respecting their nation be it Oromo nationalists, Amhara nationalists, Somali nationalists, Tigre nationalists, etc, is very good but only becomes negative and bad if these nationalists and their nationalist ideology start to become against other people's nationalism and looking down upon other nationalists while celebrating and honoring their own particular nationalism based on their own particular nation. That exactly what the former colonialists used to practice in an attempt to destroy African nationalism because they needed to demean others and steal their huamn and material resources. It seems that you have this outdated and old fashioned Amhara ruling elite definition where by they have been hiding their Amhara identity and only worshiping the Ethiopian identity just to become some sort of elephant with clay feet.

But now even Amharas woke up from their hidden Amhara identity and admitting publicly that they are Amharas as well as Ethiopians, in the same manner that Oromos have long been admitting and celebrating their being Oromo nationalists as well as also being Ethiopian nationalists just Like general Abdisa Aga who fought invading foreign enemies on two continents and liberated mamma Ethiopia, no question asked. :P

Being a nationalist Amhara, nationalist Oromo, nationalist Tigre, etc. and then coming together to be Ethiopian nationalist is by itself great to say the least. To live together as equal partners during this 21st century fast paced global and local dynamic changes means that we will be able to defend our common interests as well as also offer our unique capacities according to demand so that we may slowly but surely achieve economies of scale. Small unites and small entities can hardly compete and promote its interests in the coming cut throat regional and global competitions where resources keep diminishing while population keeps increasing. 8)