Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Eripoblikan

CPJ condemns Ethiopian internet shutdown and Oromia Media Network raid

Post by Eripoblikan » 30 Jun 2020, 23:12

In response to a nationwide internet shutdown in Ethiopia and a police raid on the Oromia Media Network, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cpj.org/20 ... -raid/amp/

Sam Ebalalehu

Re: CPJ condemns Ethiopian internet shutdown and Oromia Media Network raid

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 30 Jun 2020, 23:48

As long as it is done for the benefit that Ethiopia cannot be sabotaged by the ethnic politics pimps , I am for it . Shut it down. Please, please Mr Prime Minister do not pay an iota attention to outsiders blabbering. We Ethiopians have to save our country from the ethnic demagogues who cannot hesitate for a second for selling Ethiopian interest for the buying Egypt. No, Mr Prime Minister, Ethiopia today has more enemy from within than from outside. They should be dealt with decidedly. Forget this blabbering foreigners who get their talking point from the very enemy who Ethiopia needs to wipe out of Ethiopian politics. Mr Prime Minister, the battle line is drawn. It is between Ethiopia and the enemies of Ethiopia. Ethiopians have full confidence you are for the interest of Ethiopia and Ethiopians. Shut it down as long as needed to be shut.

Halafi Mengedi
Senior Member+

Post by Halafi Mengedi » 30 Jun 2020, 23:58

Sam Ebalalehu wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:48
As long as it is done for the benefit that Ethiopia cannot be sabotaged by the ethnic politics pimps , I am for it . Shut it down. Please, please Mr Prime Minister do not pay an iota attention to outsiders blabbering. We Ethiopians have to save our country from the ethnic demagogues who cannot hesitate for a second for selling Ethiopian interest for the buying Egypt. No, Mr Prime Minister, Ethiopia today has more enemy from within than from outside. They should be dealt with decidedly. Forget this blabbering foreigners who get their talking point from the very enemy who Ethiopia needs to wipe out of Ethiopian politics. Mr Prime Minister, the battle line is drawn. It is between Ethiopia and the enemies of Ethiopia. Ethiopians have full confidence you are for the interest of Ethiopia and Ethiopians. Shut it down as long as needed to be shut.
It will be good to stay like that for another one year and Tigray can go and bi'tch Fe'ssaam Amhara without camera.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 01 Jul 2020, 00:00

Halafi Mengedi wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:58
Sam Ebalalehu wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:48
It will be good to stay like that for another one year and Tigray can go and [deleted] Fe'ssaam Amhara without camera.
You coward bunch talk is cheap ;

YAY

Post by YAY » 01 Jul 2020, 00:27

Dear Eripoblikan: So what? CPJ is not the ultimate judge of the best national interests

CPJ sub-Saharan Africa Representative Muthoki Mumo is the one who said that in the name of CPJ. He fails to express the fact that freedom of expression is not an absolute right. It is rather a right that could be limited by a nation for a good reason(s). Freedom of expression cannot be left unlimited and cause instabilities and ultimately the destruction of a nation. It is better to realize that freedom of expression does have disadvantages, too. It could be/have/result in:

1. HARMFUL IMPACT: People can often confuse freedom of expression with being able to say and believe anything. Freedom of expression is perceived to be limitless. Those who are devout may see it as a means to say whatever they wish.

2. LIES: When you lie or slander, its part of a disadvantage. You take things too far or impose on a fellow person's rights.

3. FORCING: Many people have amazing talent related to expressing themselves, but many people can use these to get PROFITS in an illegal way.

4. OFFENSIVE: The freedom to expression means to express yourself without the fear of consequence, but sometimes a lot of things people say can offend other people.

5. VIOLENCE: Freedom of expression can lead to violence. When your choices or ideas aren't heard by other people, it may lead to one getting angry and not being able to control emotions. This person may hurt other people in frustration.

https://5bfreedomofexpression.weebly.co ... ssion.html
Eripoblikan wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:12
In response to a nationwide internet shutdown in Ethiopia and a police raid on the Oromia Media Network, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement:

Eripoblikan

Post by Eripoblikan » 01 Jul 2020, 00:32

Harry Houdini :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome back. Your wiggling acrobatics to stay out of blunt truth is admirable to say the least.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Houdini
YAY wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 00:27
Dear Eripoblikan: So what? CPJ is not the ultimate judge of the best national interests

CPJ sub-Saharan Africa Representative Muthoki Mumo is the one who said that in the name of CPJ. He fails to hide the fact that freedom of expression is not an absolute right. It is rather a right that could be limited by a nation for a good reason(s). Freedom of expression cannot be left unlimited and cause instabilities and ultimately the destruction of a nation. It is better to realize that freedom of expression does have disadvantages, too. It could be/have/result in:

1. HARMFUL IMPACT: People can often confuse freedom of expression with being able to say and believe anything. Freedom of expression is perceived to be limitless. Those who are devout may see it as a means to say whatever they wish.

2. LIES: When you lie or slander, its part of a disadvantage. You take things too far or impose on a fellow person's rights.

3. FORCING: Many people have amazing talent related to expressing themselves, but many people can use these to get PROFITS in an illegal way.

4. OFFENSIVE: The freedom to expression means to express yourself without the fear of consequence, but sometimes a lot of things people say can offend other people.

5. VIOLENCE: Freedom of expression can lead to violence. When your choices or ideas aren't heard by other people, it may lead to one getting angry and not being able to control emotions. This person may hurt other people in frustration.

Eripoblikan wrote:

YAY

Post by YAY » 01 Jul 2020, 01:14

Dear Eripoblikan: What is blunt truth to you in this regard?

I am not using any "wiggling acrobatics to stay out of blunt truth". I am exchanging my perspective/views with you about what CPJ said about Etyopiyan "internet shutdown" and OMN "raid". And you implied that CPJ's condemnation should be accepted as final. I did not agree with the condemnation, on principle and pragmatic governance, and stated what I believe is the blunt truth. That is, on principle, the freedom of expression ("reporting news" and "freedom of speech", in this case) is a fundamental right for everyone to enjoy. However, what do you do as a nation if freedom of expression causes a nation undesired and destructive problems.

The history of governance in various countries suggest to us all the idea that it is good to avoid the disadvantages of freedom of expression by limiting such rights under certain conditions. That is how good laws and policies are discovered and debated on. And that is the blunt truth (not wiggling acrobatics) that I presented. I understand that you don't like to be asked questions, but there is no other way but to ask you and expect you to answer what you mean by "staying out of blunt truth" ?
I am asking you to learn new things from you, if any, and not to ridicule you. Stay positive.

Eripoblikan wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 00:32
Harry Houdini :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome back. Your wiggling acrobatics to stay out of blunt truth is admirable to say the least.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Houdini
YAY wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 00:27

CPJ sub-Saharan Africa Representative Muthoki Mumo is the one who said that in the name of CPJ. He fails to hide the fact that freedom of expression is not an absolute right. It is rather a right that could be limited by a nation for a good reason(s). Freedom of expression cannot be left unlimited and cause instabilities and ultimately the destruction of a nation. It is better to realize that freedom of expression does have disadvantages, too. It could be/have/result in:

Eripoblikan wrote:

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 01 Jul 2020, 02:23

YAY wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 01:14

yoyoy

i think what ato Eripoblikan: saying to u is to provide him with the same reasoning about CPJ when Golden run the show ...under Golden if u support CPJ now u cant wiggling out of Houdini acrobatics suit.

YAY

Post by YAY » 02 Jul 2020, 01:15

Hello Ethioash: My method/reasoning regarding CPJ, etc. reports is consistent

I assume that by "when Golden run the show," you mean when TPLF was the dominant group ruling Etyopiya. I also presume that you are saying that 'if you support CPJ against TPLF, you cannot stop (or wiggle out of) supporting CPJ when it is against the Prosperity Party.' I have guiding principles on evaluating any reports (CPJ or others) and reasoning out in making my own independent conclusions. I do not support or reject CPJ at all times. I could take CPJ's reports, conclusions or recommendations, or reject them, based on my reasoning or judgement. My method is consistent on such matters. If you think that I supported CPJ all the times, and especially when TPLF was ruling Etyopiya, which is not true, then, your assumptions were messing up your thinking.

Eripoblikan didn't indicate that (s)he was a member or supporter of TPLF. Eripoblikan didn't say (s)he was referring to TPLF when raising the wiggling out of the "blunt truth" issue. Let Eripoblikan speak for him-/her-self and answer my question, unless Ethoash is also Eripoblikan.
Neither one of you has answered my question. Again, I ask: what is the blunt truth to you in this regard?

Ethoash wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 02:23
YAY wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 01:14
yoyoy

i think what ato Eripoblikan: saying to u is to provide him with the same reasoning about CPJ when Golden run the show ...under Golden if u support CPJ now u cant wiggling out of Houdini acrobatics suit.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 02 Jul 2020, 01:24

CPJ has no use for Syria, Yemen, Somalia. When any political, or a media become a threat to a nation to go off the cliff. CPJ's freedom of the press is a mambo jumbo decoration. OMN was Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines of Rwanda that was agitating genocide in Ethiopia. To defend Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines of Rwanda as CPj is doing for OMN is spitting on the freedom of the press itself.

Eripoblikan

Post by Eripoblikan » 02 Jul 2020, 03:19

YAY wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 01:15
What is blunt truth to you in this regard?
The blunt truth is Isaias is a cruel and brutal dictator who has forced three generations of Eritreans to live in foreign countries. And Abiy is slowly morphing himself in the image of Isaias.

Don't bother doing your usual acrobatics trying to convince me milk is black.

Sabur

Post by Sabur » 02 Jul 2020, 05:22

Eripoblikan:

Perfect Description !

Eripoblikan wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 00:32

YAY Houdini

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 02 Jul 2020, 05:40

Good for Ethiopia, if Abyi grows some balls like Isaias!

What's a govt's first priority, after all?

Law & order!

Last year Susan Mice revealed that Getachew Assefa, held in his car a person who was planning to murder Barack Obumba. We have a prime suspect for Haacaaluu Hundeessaa's murder, with motive & means.

YAY

Post by YAY » 03 Jul 2020, 04:57

Dear Eripoblikan: Your opinion is not a blunt truth related to "CPJ condemns Ethiopian internet shutdown..."

I respect your right to give your opinion on Issaias Afwerki, President of Eritrea, or Abiy Ahmed Ali, Prime Minister of Etyopiya. I also thank you for offering your opinion. However, an opinion, by definition, is "a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

So, your opinion cannot be accepted as a blunt truth in this topic, which is "CPJ condemns Ethiopian internet shutdown and Oromia Media Network raid". You need to first prove that your statements are truths. The CPJ representative is acting both as journalist (or news reporter/analyst) and an advocate for the cause of protecting journalists. I reject his demand for the absolute and totally unlimited freedom to news/opinions broadcasters, without putting into consideration that such actions may cause instability, violence or destruction of a nation-state.

I like journalists to report relevant facts (not all facts or violence inciting opinions), but I oppose the intent of taking the recommendations of advocacy groups such as CPJ (as Eripoblikan seems to be doing) as the final word on any nation, regardless of who is in or out of power in any nation-state. Who is CPJ (without knowledge of the overall situation in the country) to decide on what is appropriate and timely action (like internet shutdown or OMN raid, etc.) for Etyopiya to take? Freedoms of journalists that cause harm to any society need to be limited by the existing laws, and these laws should be enforced, for enforcing the law is the right thing to do, and if the law stops being just, there are processes to change it peacefully.
Eripoblikan wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 03:19
YAY wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 01:15
What is blunt truth to you in this regard?
The blunt truth is Isaias is a cruel and brutal dictator who has forced three generations of Eritreans to live in foreign countries. And Abiy is slowly morphing himself in the image of Isaias.

Don't bother doing your usual acrobatics trying to convince me milk is black.