Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: ቻይና የዘመናችን የኢትዮጵያ ቅኝ ገዥ፤ ኢትዮጵያዊ ከሆንክ ይህን ስማ !!!

Post by DefendTheTruth » 15 Dec 2019, 14:29

Horus wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 01:05
If you want not to be colonized by China or anbody else then the simple thing that you need to do is bring the country to stand on its own footing.

Just wish away or complain endlessily will not save you, assuming your fear is real.

The driving force behind the fate of being colonized is the drive to fill one's empty stomach. Either you fill it or you die, and no one was known so far in the whole of human history to have opted for the second option. Correct me if you know one.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 15 Dec 2019, 14:59

This core argument was actually formulated by the US to try and dissuade countries from accepting Chinese loans. Right down to that Sri Lanka example. It was nullified in our case when we managed to renegotiate the terrible terms TPLF got us into. The news on that is below if you didn't already see it.

https://ethiopianembassy.be/2019/04/24/ ... d-of-2018/

He's also not correct about the Chinese being our only lenders. Some parts of this argument might still apply for other Africans though.

And even though I'm very happy about the recent announcements of the large incoming loans from World Bank, IMF et al, those institutions scare me far more than the Chinese. There are a lot of ways to screw up the western kind of funding even with proper and honest stewardship so we have to be super careful there. I'm hoping a new parliament will also introduce more accountability on the application.

The reason I'm hopeful anyway is because there is a yearly debt reduction plan baked into the program the government is rolling out. That combined with previously lagging sectors fueled by all this foreign currency contributing to GDP growth. This should keep us from getting into distressed debt levels.

Digital Weyane
Member+

Post by Digital Weyane » 15 Dec 2019, 15:22

It was only after the World Bank and the IMF had refused to provide us with additional loans that our TPLF visionary leaders started borrowing billions of dollars from Chinese banks to develop our Republic of Greater Tigray. China wasn't our first choice to borrow money from, but we were forced to do so when we were subjected to the maximum allowable loan limits set out by the World Bank and the IMF.

It's like when your credit card is maxed out, you apply for another one, from a different bank, to maintain your lavish lifestyle.

Stop accusing our TPLF leaders who had a lot of Digital Weyane mouths to feed and family members to educate at top universities in the US. Everything we did, we did it for Ethiopia. We are innocent.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 15 Dec 2019, 15:39

opmerc,

I think to have heard also the PM raising the issue of renegotiating the debt the country bearing with the chinease. My point was the following, based on my modest economic theory understanding.

If you decide to invest then the senond step is to look for the capital that you are going to invest. Either you have your own capital or you decide to borrow somewhere else. If you don't invest, then there is nothing to worry about, you have nothing to lose and you have nothing to win as well.

The third and much tricky part is that you need to take care of the return on investment (ROI). If the ROI investment is not taken care of well, then there is a good chance that your borrowed capital can wipe out your whole resources and make you bankrupt.

In fact there is a mathematical formula which can be used to find out where the critical point at which investing own or borrowed capital could be more rewarding in your endeavour. So much I can share from my theoretical understanding of economic theory.

But there is no substitute for a productivity in the whole of the endeavor.

If Ethiopians can't roll up their sleeves and get down to the job, demand for accountability, increase their productivity and decide to pull themselves out of the captivity of poverty once and for all, then there is a good chance that the borrowed money will devour everything we had and keep us in perpetual misery.

The more we bicker about the other issues of being colonized, lacked power, enslaved and wezeterfe internally, which would eat up our meager resources to rectify such mishappenings, the more likelihood that we will be "enslaved" for decades to come by our lenders, be that from west or east.

It is in our hand to decide on our destiny.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 15 Dec 2019, 16:25

DefendTheTruth wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 15:39
opmerc,

I think to have heard also the PM raising the issue of renegotiating the debt the country bearing with the chinease. My point was the following, based on my modest economic theory understanding.

If you decide to invest then the senond step is to look for the capital that you are going to invest. Either you have your own capital or you decide to borrow somewhere else. If you don't invest, then there is nothing to worry about, you have nothing to lose and you have nothing to win as well.

The third and much tricky part is that you need to take care of the return on investment (ROI). If the ROI investment is not taken care of well, then there is a good chance that your borrowed capital can wipe out your whole resources and make you bankrupt.

In fact there is a mathematical formula which can be used to find out where the critical point at which investing own or borrowed capital could be more rewarding in your endeavour. So much I can share from my theoretical understanding of economic theory.

But there is no substitute for a productivity in the whole of the endeavor.

If Ethiopians can't roll up their sleeves and get down to the job, demand for accountability, increase their productivity and decide to pull themselves out of the captivity of poverty once and for all, then there is a good chance that the borrowed money will devour everything we had and keep us in perpetual misery.

The more we bicker about the other issues of being colonized, lacked power, enslaved and wezeterfe internally, which would eat up our meager resources to rectify such mishappenings, the more likelihood that we will be "enslaved" for decades to come by our lenders, be that from west or east.

It is in our hand to decide on our destiny.
Yes, any money we accept becoming fruitful depends on our people deciding to change their collective futures with it instead of bickering about how big their slice of the pie should be or what language we should be using when we hand out the checks. The only ones left doing that are the ones that can't imagine what else they are capable of achieving.

Another important thing to note is, there is no use in every endeavor being Ethiopian if the end result doesn't allow Ethiopians to extract maximum value from it. If a bridge or a dam falls apart in 5-10 years because of poor workmanship or thieving and cutting corners by weyane like managers, then that's just money down the drain. So in my mind, anyone can come in and show us how to do it once, then it's on us to learn from that and replicate.