Re: አቢይና ለማ ለምን ተጣሉ?

Post by Horus » 03 Dec 2019, 10:38

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Re: አቢይና ለማ ለምን ተጣሉ?

Post by DefendTheTruth » 03 Dec 2019, 13:41

Horus and opmerc,

Let me share a joke I heard long time ago and came to my mind with you here:

I came to know someone who was a Russian student, from the Derg era Ethiopia. He once chatted with me about a cliché that they (the Russian students) used to use to jock about that country while they were students there. The story is as follows: some University professors gather and formulate a question about stool testing. The students came from many different countries and all were to be asked to identify the stool’s national identity, which national it could belong. I think it was without using any modern medical tools for the task.

Many students were asked and all of them failed to identify the stool correctly, and it was the turn of the Ethiopian students. The professors told them "now it is your turn" without expecting much a breakthrough from the not much over average Ethiopians. The (Ethiopian) students didn’t take much time and said, "oh that is easy to identify, dear Esteemed Profs. We know it".

The professors sighed and told them, "there are many good students who came before you but failed to identify it, you telling us about its being easy without even giving it the first try? You must be kidding us."

"No, Esteemed Profs, we know it for sure, we are not trying to kid you. This stool must belong to Russians, we can’t miss that because they have been sh**ting on us for fast 2 decades and we are used to it"

The Profs. accepted the claim and the puzzle was solved after that.

My claim and that of the students, of course, has nothing to do with trying to imply or mean to denigrate the people of Russia, for whom I have great respect, and Ethiopia should also have a great gratitude for the helping hand it offered to our students in educating them during those days of political partnership. This is simply about trying to make fun of political happenings around us based on some features on the ground. It is not about a bias towards Russia as such and has nothing to do with reality. It is simply a sort of cartoonist portray of phenomenon on the ground.

If I made you eager about the story now, then I will deconstruct the puzzle the next time I will come in, stay tuned.