Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
ittuabafarda

Lets Do Our Part To Avert Another Calamity

Post by ittuabafarda » 08 Nov 2019, 22:43

Dear Friends in the Diaspora:

By now you should know I have nothing but unwavering love for you. This time I want to talk to you about a different issue. You must have heard the news already about a swarm of locust that has found its way into the farmlands of the old country. Many of you might have not experience the devastation of this scourge. I had seen it myself in one of its invasions in the 1950's and how it can devour every edible vegetation in sight in a matter of hours. I also remember how farmers united their efforts to drive away the swarm sometime successful and sometimes to no avail. I also remember how the government small planes whizzing by to spread DDT to exterminate the swarm, successfully I may add. They were able to do that because there was a relative peace. But those fathers were putting heroic fights on most occasions alone. I strongly believe that we should follow their example, unite and offer a helping hand in every monetary way possible. The pestilence does not discriminate. It does jump over the Oromo farm just to lay siege on the Amhara ones only and vice versa. Thank Almighty it does not use ethnicity prism. From what I've read and heard so far area in Afar, Somalia, Tigray, Amhara and Oromo regions have seen this swarm. It may be a matter of short time before its reaches my birth place of Western Hararghe. Lets us do everything we can to help the effort by donating every red cent we can spare. We will receive Our Creator's Blessings For Such Noble and Life Saving Act!!!

ittuabafarda

Re: Lets Do Our Part To Avert Another Calamity

Post by ittuabafarda » 09 Nov 2019, 23:49

I just found out that the swarm has arrived one area in the lowland of western Hararghe. It is my recollection it used to run out of esteem once it reached that part of the country but it can lay siege like no other just in a few hours. I still remember how we used to gather a bag of the live ones and selling it to one Arab shop owner. I guess it is considered a delicacy in his culinary culture. Now this is even more urgent to all of us and avail our helping hands. Lets do this!!!