Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

ESAT, ASRAT, OMF, TMN: the Acronyms of Ethnonationalism and the Media of Ethnic Chauvinists

Post by teodroseIII » 28 Aug 2019, 14:43

As if Ethiopia is not already being inundated with zeregnenet (tribalism), yet another ethnic based media company was launched recently. The same crowd that used to protest the tribal ways of TPLF decided to join the caravan of ethnonationalism . I caught a glimpse of one of their shows this weekend while I was buying some injera at a local market; I was immediately struck by the slick production that included state of the art graphics, crystal clear audio and the overall quality of the show.

Now before you think this is some endorsement of station that was launched in honor “defending Amhara people”, let me disabuse you of that thought. The minute I saw the ASRAT being aired on TV, I shook my head in a mix of disbelief and sadness. The politics of apartheid has seeped into every facet of our country; businesses, churches and media are all being overwhelmed by the insidious forces of separatism and factionalism that is shattering the foundation of Ethiopia. A free press that is supposed to seek truth without ideological lenses has been weaponized based on identity and loosened upon Ethiopia in order to ghettoize us behind the Bantustan of ethnicity.

Oromia Media Network, Ethiopian Satellite Television, Tigray Media Network and now Amhara Satellite Radio and Television, all of them truncating their names to acronyms and reporting “news” through the filter of ethnocentrism. They do a marvelous job of pretending to care about justice and tending to the suffering of their demographic, in reality they are leveraging the pains of their base to gain status as they take money from foreign entities and globalist interests who are the root cause for...continued...

Read full article at: https://ethiopians4cm.org/channels-ethn ... hauvenism/