Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Za-Ilmaknun

Re: It dawning to all Ethiopians that NAMA is a force for Good!!

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 08 Aug 2019, 12:35

opmerc wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 21:23
Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 19:21
Who killed who in the unfortunate event that happened in the region, is now the excuse to go after whoever has a different idea about how to solve the saga that we are in. We probably won’t know the whole truth about the event that the PM declared as “mefenQile Mengist” right before it happened. However, the actions being taken following the incident have the hallmark of a well-planned action that has been well thought after and, whose execution had been in a wait for the right time to avail. That is the current state of the Amara region. Perhaps riding the docile ADP horse is much easier for the ODP power, than dealing with genuine representatives of the people in that region.

The central authority that you wish to see will never be a reality. As if we haven’t waited to see that force for the past three decade, now we are suddenly wishing about its birth. The central force that your friends sent to quash the “detractors’ are the same forces that are deployed in dozen to protect the known extreme ethnic agitators residing right next to the palace. The forces that you are hopping to see are the forces that pay blind eyes when people in and around Addis are killed and uprooted enemas. The forces that you are now endorsing as Ethiopian, are the forces that are deployed to kill Amaras just so they won’t organize. That is the security situation in the region as we speak.

We are witnessing the prescription of EZEMA as is proactively being applied on the Amara youth, while pampering those who sleep with TPLF in broad light. You seem to be living in the lala land where in, if the Amharas are not organized to protect themselves, then all will be fine. No matter how ludicrous might be your position; it is bought as justification to go after us. We will see where that leads. The false premise that asserts not working with any ethnically organized party seems to have forgotten that all the power lever in the country are totally controlled by parties exclusively organized on ethnic basis.

You seem to be at ease to cast your ill-conceived prejudice on to NAMA, while the zealots who are plotting and campaigning against the Amaras are encouraged right in front of our eyes. The PM openly stated that “the constitution won’t be changed just because one region requested to”. Now we are respecting the constitution and trying legally and openly organizing ourselves, and it suddenly became unpalatable to EZEMA.

The rest of Ethiopia burns by its own choice and hasn’t needed our input for the past 30 years. When dozens of churches were burned to ashes in Somali region last year and, in Sidama zone last month, it is the Amara who shoulder the brunt of the destruction. When the Amaras were persecuted and massacred in those places, the driving force behind the atrocities is the crimes of being Ethiopian by the Amaras. We still are paying the price for the political overture that you still seem to be indulged in. If we were to organize, we could have at least saved the precious lives that were lost to the barbarian’s fires.

You keep doing what you are doing but, please do try not to be standing with those who are bent on nuking the Amara people if they had the capacity. Our strength in organizing ourselves is our savior and, we will keep building on it. Like I said before, if you really are who you claim you are, you certainly will come to our camp pretty soon. If you are trying to derail our effort in hope of consolidating what you thought you have so far achieved for your baseline identity, you won’t succeed for we have built the resolve that is born of self-preservation.
Please don't make me go down the rabbit hole that is this coup conspiracy. I already went through over 5 pages worth on the same week of the event arguing every absurd part of it. If you want my thoughts on that, you are welcome to go look up that thread.

The central authority that I'm wishing to see is being built right now by the very people I mentioned, piece by structural piece. Just because you have your eyes and ears closed doesn't mean it's not happening. The past three decades didn't have the proper conditions for it to be created, now those elements are materializing. We also saw it's present ability to respond in various parts to various events. Go watch reports of all the people saying where Hawassa would be were it not for this central authority response.

I don't see any of the forces I mentioned deployed to kill Amhara, I am seeing government forces attack extremist Amhara followed by arresting some and releasing others. I don't see the Oromo militias getting rocked in west Oromo complaining about too much pampering either.

Were you pointing to an ODP/Oromo bias towards Somalis when it took down Abdi Illey and arrested his cohorts? or when it started arresting the Ejeto in SNNP? was there some inherent Sidama bias with that action? But suddenly security measures in Amhara region after one of the most destabilizing events a country could experience happens and you expect everyone to believe it's done because of some anti-Amhara bias? Come on.

Now, am I saying every Amhara arrested everywhere to have been so justly? Absolutely not, there is no system of government on earth that starts an investigative campaign of this size across several regions and does everything right, much less when it's done by police that graduated under the corrupt TPLF days.

Not all the parties involved in the investigation will do their jobs free of bias or won't use it as an excuse to exercise long held grudges. But it's important to have evidence of systemic, not localized, bias before you go out and make accusations of systemic bias. Such evidence just doesn't exist. You should care about that if you mean no harm to Ethiopia like you claim.

Where I have seen evidence of city-level government harassment happen towards opposition forces like Eskinder and his legal press-conferences, I'm right there with you in opposing it. And I already have. But I'm not about to make stuff up about how this is all a grand-conspiracy on all Amhara by everyone in government when no such evidence exists.

As far as changing the constitution and what the PM said, you need to learn to read his statements in relation to the position he's in. I wouldn't expect him to make any noise about constitution changes before elections. He needs to pass elections with as much Oromo support as possible. He cannot afford an extremist Oromo uproar that fractures his party and grows OLF variants.

It's very simple to surmise this because statements coming from someone not interested in any changes would just mirror statements produced by TPLF. His are neutral and ready to consider all changes once the voice of all Ethiopians are heard on it, aka elections. You can affect this chorus and make sure the voice to change it is the loudest during elections.

Or you can.. you know, continue with this 'Amhara is the most victimized and will remain the most victimized group in all of Ethiopia' campaign and urge people to give up all hope and instead worry about investing in ammunition. Just don't hold on your breath on me joining you.
The fact that you are working harder not to divide the Oromo voices as a formidable base for the PM to be elected again to the office, in fact reinforces what I have been trying to show. Your position of protecting your base while trying to nip in the bud when the Amaras are doing the same goes to show how you are using every excuse to dominate the political discourse that already is heavily tilted towards one side.

You seem to be convinced that the PM is going to be re-elected and continue to be holding his position after the “election”. Waiting for an election whose result is already known, shouldn’t be a basis to argue against doing what the office holder is already elected to do. Isn’t the PM already elected by the people and his party, to be at the helm? Why would you want to wait for double election to happen to do same thing that you are elected to do in the first place? This is the usual tactic employed by the political sharks in that party called EPRDF whose cue is always informed by what it went through while under the dubious TPLF.

The whole theme of the plot lies in making sure that ADP stays in power to serve the junior ODP control the power and, there by elongate the Jawarian/Gebissa politics at the expense of the Amaras. By the time ODP/OLF consolidates its position, if we are informed by what this party is for currently, then there will be no much of any change to begin with that will nearly create the country that you are trying to sell the image here about. One begs to ask the question why ADP does not aspire to be running for the office of the PM that you seem to be assured of anointing the current office holder for. This is what we are against! The Ethiopia that accepts Oromo/Tigre only to be the de facto leaders of the country by no means is the country that I can think of as mine.

At least, as a party that alleges to stand for all Ethiopian of any ethnic background, as a party which claims not be working with ethnically based parties, EZEMA should have worked harder for its own chance of election than standing to be a stooge to detract the genuine. This leads one to probe again what Teddy of Reyot, recently asked the EZEMA party leaders to state if they have any difference with ODP.
I read the PM’s statement for what they are and what message they convey, the same way as I understood what Lemma Megerssa said about how to change the demographics of the cities in order to reinvent the Ethiopian state in the image of ODP/OLF.

The actions of government forces that guards Hawassa but leaves Aletawondo, HagereMariam, Wondogenet, yirgalem and other smaller cities in between for the ejjeto/Qerro arsonists isn’t something that I can boast about. In fact this is done by design so as give the appearance that the government is protecting the people when in-fact protective measures could have been done before even a single individual was killed. However, same government forces were so quick to invade the entire Amara region with a few hours of the so called “mefenQile Mengist” and arrest NAMA members. This same force turned blind eyes when Balderas members are harassed by Qerro in its own front yard. So please save your lectures and rosy reports to the gullible.

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 08 Aug 2019, 13:04

Nowadays, I read my tribal politicians are way better than the others kind of argument. Those who despised ethnic politics in the past seem to feel in love with the new tribal Amhara politicians. I am not surprised. By definition tribal politicians appeal to their " kinds." There are no Oromos and Tigreans who applauded the birth of NAMA. To be honest, there are no that " significant " number of Amharas who embraced the NAMA politics either. But that is beside the point I want to make. The NAMA politicians are the extension of the Tigrean and Oromo tribal politicans. Like them they believe the Tigrean politicians care for Tigreans, the Oromo politicians for Oromos, and the Amhara politicians for Amharas. The majority of Ethiopians seemed to have rejected that kind of politics. The Abiy adminstration initial welcome by Ethiopians attest to that fact. But the NAMA politicians chose to stand against the majority of Ethiopian's wish at late hour. Their inability to read the mood of the country could be attributed to ignorance of political knowledge or pure opportunisim.
Anyway, it is sad for NAMA politicians to embrace ethnic politics when it is on the defensive.

ze_shewa

Post by ze_shewa » 08 Aug 2019, 13:32

To many delusional people out here, G7 is not fit for for purpose in the current political climate, they see the problems but they still have not got a solution. That's why Qeerroo & Fano brought down woyane in 2 years whilst G7 didn't make a dent on woyane for over 10yrs. The truth is that the last 27yrs of ethno-politics have lay the groundwork for the current politics climate whereby a pan-ethiopianist parties have very little youth support in places such as Oromia, Tigray, Ogaden. The ship has sailed and the ethno-poltical system is here to stay. Not by the choice of NAMA or Amharas but the poltical elites of tigray & oromo. The question now is about survival as a state and as a people!

Za-Ilmaknun

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 08 Aug 2019, 14:08

Sam Ebalalehu wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 13:04
Nowadays, I read my tribal politicians are way better than the others kind of argument. Those who despised ethnic politics in the past seem to feel in love with the new tribal Amhara politicians. I am not surprised. By definition tribal politicians appeal to their " kinds." There are no Oromos and Tigreans who applauded the birth of NAMA. To be honest, there are no that " significant " number of Amharas who embraced the NAMA politics either. But that is beside the point I want to make. The NAMA politicians are the extension of the Tigrean and Oromo tribal politicans. Like them they believe the Tigrean politicians care for Tigreans, the Oromo politicians for Oromos, and the Amhara politicians for Amharas. The majority of Ethiopians seemed to have rejected that kind of politics. The Abiy adminstration initial welcome by Ethiopians attest to that fact. But the NAMA politicians chose to stand against the majority of Ethiopian's wish at late hour. Their inability to read the mood of the country could be attributed to ignorance of political knowledge or pure opportunisim.
Anyway, it is sad for NAMA politicians to embrace ethnic politics when it is on the defensive.
You remind me of that proverbial ostrich which buried its head in the sand at the least sign of danger. I can understand your fear and complicity, though. The presumption that if only the Amaras refrain from organizing as Amaras, the problems of the country would just go away or much simplistic yet, the other extreme tribalism agitators would just be dissuaded from what gave them their basic strength, is far from plausible. I wish that was true for I am a true believer in merit based system to prevail in the country. However, the reality as dictated by every action of the government and its parallel equals is something proving to the contrary.

We happen to follow the developments in the country as they evolve and, there only is one kind of narrative one can only derive from. The narratives of OLF are being the official positions of the government. It would be disingenuous to oppose TPLF for the same thing that OLF is doing while giving a pass to the later. All your prescription so far is for us to sit tight and wait for the largesse that the power at the moment is willing to share. I on the other hand, demand that my rights be respected like that of the rights of Qerro herds, who are given protection while wilding machetes and preventing legal ownership of houses built by citizens.

What I fail to understand is your opposition when I and like-minded people are trying to organize ourselves to counter the relentless persecution that our identity is under for the last close to half a century and counting. Mind you, this is the only kind of organizing principle that is given legal protection as enshrined in the supreme law of the country. I do believe that if the Amaras were standing strong, the tribal politics of the rest would have had no space to expand and grow. I do not dare to lecture to you the importance of force equivalence to get to equilibrium. You may call us names or lump us with any of the forces that are bent on dismembering the country. However, you will never hear from my “kinds” a call for the destruction of the Country that you seem so fervently trying to save.

The new administration initial welcome was so huge in the region that you never seem to be in short of denigrating. However, we are now finding out the true motives of those who we embraced as would be change agents. Don’t you think one has to ask why that sea of support has dwindled so much and so fast? We don’t stand against anyone who is for the country but, at the same time we also want to be represented in the country to call it ours. If continuance of TPLF’s system with a different beneficiary is what you are expecting us to support, then we say no.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 08 Aug 2019, 16:40

Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 12:35
The fact that you are working harder not to divide the Oromo voices as a formidable base for the PM to be elected again to the office, in fact reinforces what I have been trying to show. Your position of protecting your base while trying to nip in the bud when the Amaras are doing the same goes to show how you are using every excuse to dominate the political discourse that already is heavily tilted towards one side.

You seem to be convinced that the PM is going to be re-elected and continue to be holding his position after the “election”. Waiting for an election whose result is already known, shouldn’t be a basis to argue against doing what the office holder is already elected to do. Isn’t the PM already elected by the people and his party, to be at the helm? Why would you want to wait for double election to happen to do same thing that you are elected to do in the first place? This is the usual tactic employed by the political sharks in that party called EPRDF whose cue is always informed by what it went through while under the dubious TPLF.

The whole theme of the plot lies in making sure that ADP stays in power to serve the junior ODP control the power and, there by elongate the Jawarian/Gebissa politics at the expense of the Amaras. By the time ODP/OLF consolidates its position, if we are informed by what this party is for currently, then there will be no much of any change to begin with that will nearly create the country that you are trying to sell the image here about. One begs to ask the question why ADP does not aspire to be running for the office of the PM that you seem to be assured of anointing the current office holder for. This is what we are against! The Ethiopia that accepts Oromo/Tigre only to be the de facto leaders of the country by no means is the country that I can think of as mine.

At least, as a party that alleges to stand for all Ethiopian of any ethnic background, as a party which claims not be working with ethnically based parties, EZEMA should have worked harder for its own chance of election than standing to be a stooge to detract the genuine. This leads one to probe again what Teddy of Reyot, recently asked the EZEMA party leaders to state if they have any difference with ODP.
I read the PM’s statement for what they are and what message they convey, the same way as I understood what Lemma Megerssa said about how to change the demographics of the cities in order to reinvent the Ethiopian state in the image of ODP/OLF.

The actions of government forces that guards Hawassa but leaves Aletawondo, HagereMariam, Wondogenet, yirgalem and other smaller cities in between for the ejjeto/Qerro arsonists isn’t something that I can boast about. In fact this is done by design so as give the appearance that the government is protecting the people when in-fact protective measures could have been done before even a single individual was killed. However, same government forces were so quick to invade the entire Amara region with a few hours of the so called “mefenQile Mengist” and arrest NAMA members. This same force turned blind eyes when Balderas members are harassed by Qerro in its own front yard. So please save your lectures and rosy reports to the gullible.
Why would I want Oromos divided when they are being lead by someone like the PM? Or take away his support and improve the odds of extremist Oromos getting it?

Yes, I want as much Oromo support going towards his mentality and not towards the mentality of Jawar or Daud Ibsa's. I don't want emboldened extremists happening over there and I don't want it happening on 'my side'. Even though it's actually all my side because unlike you, I haven't forgotten I'm Ethiopian. My enemy is not united Oromos or united Amhara, it's strong extremist factions of any kind being in power.

The PM has not been elected by the people, just his party. That party is still in power by cheating its way there. So we need an actual election to confirm that the Ethiopian people declare his party, lead by him, can continue. I base my assumption of his coming election (or reelection, whichever you prefer) on the incredibly large support he still enjoys, and my own personal hopes. But it's still an assumption. It's important to the future foundation of a country that if you are going to make structural changes, especially ones as required by ours, that you get a formal vote of confidence before doing it. It doesn't personally matter to me, mind you, when these changes happen but I understand why such an order is important.

I asked you to not drag me into further discussions of this coup conspiracy theory. Talking about a plot to kill ADP leaders who were staunch ODP allies so you can install new ADP members and make them a staunch ally still is going back to such mindless conspiracy theory. We could go for days on this but I just don't have the energy to convince people who refuse to follow basic concepts of common sense.

Maybe you think all problems are best solved by personally attaining power, and then making all your problems go away by force and crushing those who try to stop you. I don't blame you, ideologies like yours can't think beyond such tactics.

Others see the wisdom in recognizing partners who are already in power and letting them continue working so things of mutual benefit can materialize faster. Even with the recent setbacks, there are many still wise people in ADP and EZEMA and for that I'm grateful.

On the question of saving Hawassa but letting other cities suffer, I explained already that a central authority is in the process of being built, not that it's already done building and has it's full capacity. That means they planned to protect major cities and did so successfully. But unfortunately for us all, those thugs went to destroy things in the peripheral cities as well. Expecting the government to be capable of being omni-present within 1/2 years is ridiculously unfair.

Also government forces didn't control entire Amhara region within a few hours, they came in and supported already resisting portions of Amhara security forces. Made easier to contain when the problem is one force lead by one leader, not so when it's civilian mobs in multiple cities with no central coordination like in SNNP.

The very many conspiracy theories you listed, combined with how many of them are so easily explainable with a fraction of additional information show me how easily you are fueled by emotion and not that interested in confirming if any of it is true. This makes you a prime target for exploitation. Help yourself and learn to contain it. It only benefits you to do so.

And I hope for all our sake in time there's less and less of people that think this way.

Za-Ilmaknun

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 08 Aug 2019, 18:15

opmerc wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:40
Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 12:35

Why would I want Oromos divided when they are being lead by someone like the PM? Or take away his support and improve the odds of extremist Oromos getting it?

Yes, I want as much Oromo support going towards his mentality and not towards the mentality of Jawar or Daud Ibsa's. I don't want emboldened extremists happening over there and I don't want it happening on 'my side'. Even though it's actually all my side because unlike you, I haven't forgotten I'm Ethiopian. My enemy is not united Oromos or united Amhara, it's strong extremist factions of any kind being in power.

The PM has not been elected by the people, just his party. That party is still in power by cheating its way there. So we need an actual election to confirm that the Ethiopian people declare his party, lead by him, can continue. I base my assumption of his coming election (or reelection, whichever you prefer) on the incredibly large support he still enjoys, and my own personal hopes. But it's still an assumption. It's important to the future foundation of a country that if you are going to make structural changes, especially ones as required by ours, that you get a formal vote of confidence before doing it. It doesn't personally matter to me, mind you, when these changes happen but I understand why such an order is important.

I asked you to not drag me into further discussions of this coup conspiracy theory. Talking about a plot to kill ADP leaders who were staunch ODP allies so you can install new ADP members and make them a staunch ally still is going back to such mindless conspiracy theory. We could go for days on this but I just don't have the energy to convince people who refuse to follow basic concepts of common sense.

Maybe you think all problems are best solved by personally attaining power, and then making all your problems go away by force and crushing those who try to stop you. I don't blame you, ideologies like yours can't think beyond such tactics.

Others see the wisdom in recognizing partners who are already in power and letting them continue working so things of mutual benefit can materialize faster. Even with the recent setbacks, there are many still wise people in ADP and EZEMA and for that I'm grateful.

On the question of saving Hawassa but letting other cities suffer, I explained already that a central authority is in the process of being built, not that it's already done building and has it's full capacity. That means they planned to protect major cities and did so successfully. But unfortunately for us all, those thugs went to destroy things in the peripheral cities as well. Expecting the government to be capable of being omni-present within 1/2 years is ridiculously unfair.

Also government forces didn't control entire Amhara region within a few hours, they came in and supported already resisting portions of Amhara security forces. Made easier to contain when the problem is one force lead by one leader, not so when it's civilian mobs in multiple cities with no central coordination like in SNNP.

The very many conspiracy theories you listed, combined with how many of them are so easily explainable with a fraction of additional information show me how easily you are fueled by emotion and not that interested in confirming if any of it is true. This makes you a prime target for exploitation. Help yourself and learn to contain it. It only benefits you to do so.

And I hope for all our sake in time there's less and less of people that think this way.
You seem to be out of argument to counter the well founded and substantiated facts while resorting to calling me as ideologue lol. So much for the EZEMA, which is harassed everywhere it goes in Oromia state not even to have a cup of tea. Your descent too soon too low, in characterizing my argument about power sharing and equal opportunity, as a quest for personal power, is the basic meme of political operatives. However, quashing of dissent is much in display, as you continue attacking Amharas in Tullubolo, wellega, Addis and everywhere accusing them of being supporters of NAMA or Balderas. The actions being taken by your government unleashing its brute force on mass arresting Amaras, stands to testify to the fallacy of your belief system.

The kinds of partners in the image of Bereket the bekit are too fresh in our collective minds to stand idle and allow your ODP plant one of its moles in the name of Amara. This has been proven by the resent appointment of Mr. Temesgen to ADP leadership. I mean, that kilil leadership never fail to amaze me when it comes selling out the interests of its constituents. If not today, this will have its own cost down the road for the entire country. You are not one of us so you don’t share our feelings and, our resentments of the constant betrayal by the powers in arat killo or those who were supposed to represent us.

Your factually incorrect statement about the PM not being elected by the people only is a testament that willfully ignores the facts or misunderstood the political process currently employed in the country. This isn’t conspiracy as you may allege when confronted with irrefutable facts. Unless you are from a different planet, in the Ethiopian political system there is no any way the people directly elect their PM. The people only elect local reps and the parties elect the one to be the PM from among them.
The party that you said is still holding the power by cheating is led by none other than the PM that you never have been shy to stand together with. What does that make you?  The agenda promoted by Jewar/Ibssa/Gebissa are the agenda being executed by the government in power. Jawar issues the fatwa, and it is executed through Ouma and the PM office. You must be kidding yourself if you want us to believe otherwise.

Yeah you have become Ethiopian lately as your guy is occupying the palace and pushing your agenda through the executive means that is afforded to it. TPLF was Ethiopian too until it was pushed aside and its multibillion birr plunder has been checked. We don’t attach Ethiopiawinet with the wind that blows to the direction of our belly. All we are demanding is that we be represented as equal Ethiopians as your ethnic kins and not be relegated to second and third class citizenship.
By the way it has almost been a year and half since the current PM came to power not ½ a year like you counted. It should have been an ample time to correct so many of the intentional dangers that TPLF put the country in. It is too unfortunate to see the length that you guys go to camouflage the glaring facts just by paying lip services.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 08 Aug 2019, 19:00

Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:15
You seem to be out of argument to counter the well founded and substantiated facts while resorting to calling me as ideologue lol. So much for the EZEMA, which is harassed everywhere it goes in Oromia state not even to have a cup of tea. Your descent too soon too low, in characterizing my argument about power sharing and equal opportunity, as a quest for personal power, is the basic meme of political operatives. However, quashing of dissent is much in display, as you continue attacking Amharas in Tullubolo, wellega, Addis and everywhere accusing them of being supporters of NAMA or Balderas. The actions being taken by your government unleashing its brute force on mass arresting Amaras, stands to testify to the fallacy of your belief system.

The kinds of partners in the image of Bereket the bekit are too fresh in our collective minds to stand idle and allow your ODP plant one of its moles in the name of Amara. This has been proven by the resent appointment of Mr. Temesgen to ADP leadership. I mean, that kilil leadership never fail to amaze me when it comes selling out the interests of its constituents. If not today, this will have its own cost down the road for the entire country. You are not one of us so you don’t share our feelings and, our resentments of the constant betrayal by the powers in arat killo or those who were supposed to represent us.

Your factually incorrect statement about the PM not being elected by the people only is a testament that willfully ignores the facts or misunderstood the political process currently employed in the country. This isn’t conspiracy as you may allege when confronted with irrefutable facts. Unless you are from a different planet, in the Ethiopian political system there is no any way the people directly elect their PM. The people only elect local reps and the parties elect the one to be the PM from among them.
The party that you said is still holding the power by cheating is led by none other than the PM that you never have been shy to stand together with. What does that make you?  The agenda promoted by Jewar/Ibssa/Gebissa are the agenda being executed by the government in power. Jawar issues the fatwa, and it is executed through Ouma and the PM office. You must be kidding yourself if you want us to believe otherwise.

Yeah you have become Ethiopian lately as your guy is occupying the palace and pushing your agenda through the executive means that is afforded to it. TPLF was Ethiopian too until it was pushed aside and its multibillion birr plunder has been checked. We don’t attach Ethiopiawinet with the wind that blows to the direction of our belly. All we are demanding is that we be represented as equal Ethiopians as your ethnic kins and not be relegated to second and third class citizenship.
By the way it has almost been a year and half since the current PM came to power not ½ a year like you counted. It should have been an ample time to correct so many of the intentional dangers that TPLF put the country in. It is too unfortunate to see the length that you guys go to camouflage the glaring facts just by paying lip services.
Now that's some seriously absurd semantics. Of course there isn't direct elections, I didn't suggest that existed. I said he wasn't elected by the Ethiopian people, which is true, regardless of whether a presidential style election or parliamentary one took place. His mandate only comes from being elected into EPRDF by Oromo (note: not all Ethiopian people). EPRDF being in power itself is invalid because it overstayed the 2005 elections it didn't earn. All of that is factual.

Coming elections can endorse EPRDF under his leadership or some new party that he forms which gives him an actual mandate from all Ethiopians to govern. Where is the issue there? You think I'm some secret Oromo political operative but don't know how the elections work?

I told you your only retort to divergent ideas was to label it anti-Amhara, or keep calling me a mole. And you deliver so predictably on it. Insulting the group that you think I belong to isn't a response for my case against all extremism, it's an angry and desperate misdirection.

By the way, who died and made you king of declaring who is and isn't Amhara? Not that I need your validation, mind you, I'm just curious where you think you get this power..

Also I meant 1 OR 2 years, not half a year. I would have been more careful about my phrasing if I thought you were going to try and use even this absurd thing as an argument.

But I'm glad you've figured out that 27 years worth of problems can be solved with 2 years. Why did we ever bother worrying so much when we had people like you this whole time who can perform magic.

Za-Ilmaknun

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 08 Aug 2019, 20:14

opmerc wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 19:00
Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:15

Now that's some seriously absurd semantics. Of course there isn't direct elections, I didn't suggest that existed. I said he wasn't elected by the Ethiopian people, which is true, regardless of whether a presidential style election or parliamentary one took place. His mandate only comes from being elected into EPRDF by Oromo (note: not all Ethiopian people). EPRDF being in power itself is invalid because it overstayed the 2005 elections it didn't earn. All of that is factual.

Coming elections can endorse EPRDF under his leadership or some new party that he forms which gives him an actual mandate from all Ethiopians to govern. Where is the issue there? You think I'm some secret Oromo political operative but don't know how the elections work?

I told you your only retort to divergent ideas was to label it anti-Amhara, or keep calling me a mole. And you deliver so predictably on it. Insulting the group that you think I belong to isn't a response for my case against all extremism, it's an angry and desperate misdirection.

By the way, who died and made you king of declaring who is and isn't Amhara? Not that I need your validation, mind you, I'm just curious where you think you get this power..

Also I meant 1 OR 2 years, not half a year. I would have been more careful about my phrasing if I thought you were going to try and use even this absurd thing as an argument.

But I'm glad you've figured out that 27 years worth of problems can be solved with 2 years. Why did we ever bother worrying so much when we had people like you this whole time who can perform magic.
By your sheer opposition of the organizing of the Amaras, as encouraged by the law of the land and like all the other ethnics doing, you prove yourself to be anything but Amara. Of-course, what we witness going on in the country, where people are being arrested for who they are, is the main reason why I am trying to make the case. How is this diverting it to a different issue than what we have been talking about? I thought your opposition to NAMA is the center piece of why I have been going to a great length to show you how wrong you are.

I didn’t call you mole…unless of course you are Temesgen himself. Lol We have had enough moles already to add one more. You said you are supporter of EZEMA and, the positions taken by the current government in appeasing the Jewarian politics. I have been trying to litigate that position and in good faith helping you see my positions too. It is so annoyingly hypocritical to call NAMA extremist while sharing bed with Jawa/Gerba/Gebissa/Ibssa whose political discourse is centered on dismembering the Ethiopian state. Hello EZEMA …can you please show us which position of NAMA is extreme?

The 27 years’ worth of problems is only being exacerbated by the appeasement politics that the current government is following. You may want us to take this approach as tactical whose end game is winning the hearts and minds of the Oromo constituents. This argument in itself is very worrisome as it takes in to account that the political interest of other Ethiopians do not count as much. Worse yet, it premeditates that by unleashing the Qerro power, in case the former approach doesn’t work, they will stay in power regardless. Now they stand to lose nothing, while we are betting all our marbles on the goodwill of EZEMA and the PM. I kinda wonder if this is politics or some sort of childish game. In the world of politics, a year and half is like forever if you have the will and the resolve to do what has to be done. Counting people like me off the chart isn't new in the world where you came from, but I at least take your arguments based on their merits no matter how unhelpful.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 09 Aug 2019, 07:36

Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:14

By your sheer opposition of the organizing of the Amaras, as encouraged by the law of the land and like all the other ethnics doing, you prove yourself to be anything but Amara. Of-course, what we witness going on in the country, where people are being arrested for who they are, is the main reason why I am trying to make the case. How is this diverting it to a different issue than what we have been talking about? I thought your opposition to NAMA is the center piece of why I have been going to a great length to show you how wrong you are.

I didn’t call you mole…unless of course you are Temesgen himself. Lol We have had enough moles already to add one more. You said you are supporter of EZEMA and, the positions taken by the current government in appeasing the Jewarian politics. I have been trying to litigate that position and in good faith helping you see my positions too. It is so annoyingly hypocritical to call NAMA extremist while sharing bed with Jawa/Gerba/Gebissa/Ibssa whose political discourse is centered on dismembering the Ethiopian state. Hello EZEMA …can you please show us which position of NAMA is extreme?

The 27 years’ worth of problems is only being exacerbated by the appeasement politics that the current government is following. You may want us to take this approach as tactical whose end game is winning the hearts and minds of the Oromo constituents. This argument in itself is very worrisome as it takes in to account that the political interest of other Ethiopians do not count as much. Worse yet, it premeditates that by unleashing the Qerro power, in case the former approach doesn’t work, they will stay in power regardless. Now they stand to lose nothing, while we are betting all our marbles on the goodwill of EZEMA and the PM. I kinda wonder if this is politics or some sort of childish game. In the world of politics, a year and half is like forever if you have the will and the resolve to do what has to be done. Counting people like me off the chart isn't new in the world where you came from, but I at least take your arguments based on their merits no matter how unhelpful.
See there you go again, equating being Amhara meaning one has to support everything all Amharas do. My opposition, for the umpteenth time, is to ethnic based association, of any kind, not just Amhara. Particularly when it's in the flavor of being ethno-nationalist like NAMA. Which is not just reserved to NAMA, as I already said. It goes towards the OLFs, TPLF, and any other flavor by anyone else. I keep saying this and you keep hearing "You don't get to have Amhara organizations, but others do" I honestly don't know any other way to phrase it.

I support EZEMA's stance on many many things, yes, but I don't think they have any leaders in the caliber of Dr. Abiy, no offense to Prof. Berhanu or anyone else there. But I think with their good ideas combined with his ability to package them well for all Ethiopian minds, we can get to a very good place. That's why I support all of them and each positive steps they collaborate on. It wouldn't bother me one bit though if the tables were turned and EZEMA was on the driver seat and being counseled by Dr. Abiy's wing of ODP/ADP.

There is no appeasement of Jawar by the PM that I've seen. I do see some strategic patience much like he has shown other troublemakers in relation to the nationwide damage they can cause. And Jawar has the ability and the amoral quality to cause quite a bit.

I have gone at length in another thread about Dr. Abiy's positions towards Jawar and what, in my opinion, they mean. So I'd rather not repeat myself. But to summarize, I think there is a time to judge Dr. Abiy on his action or inaction and that is when Jawar commits a clear violation of the law for all to see. Not circumstantial threats or any of his rantings. Facebook is swimming with such talk already and all of the ones like him, Amhara included, are being tolerated due to hate speech laws still being in the works and also in the name of expanding freedom of speech. But when the law says he can't do X and he does X, with credible witnesses, then you and I can both stand there and criticize.

Although I disagree with the premise that it's appeasement, or "sharing the bed" as you put it, the alternative solution you suggest is still to continue practicing this flawed constitution in ways all those extremists are and try to beat them at their own game. Be just as fanatic as any Oromo extremist or just as lunatic as TPLF..then maybe they get scared and back off?

I'm sorry but Ethiopia is not the first country to experiment with ethnic based politics, only the latest tragic example. All the ones before that went into an arms-race of fanaticism like you suggest ended up in conflict and chaos. As stubborn as you think you are of being to advance 'your side', others will be too. On and on it will go.

Don't take my word on that, go research, you will not find a single successful place where your ideas were tried and they materialized into a helpful solution for it's people.

Za-Ilmaknun

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 09 Aug 2019, 13:24

opmerc wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 07:36
Za-Ilmaknun wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:14

See there you go again, equating being Amhara meaning one has to support everything all Amharas do. My opposition, for the umpteenth time, is to ethnic based association, of any kind, not just Amhara. Particularly when it's in the flavor of being ethno-nationalist like NAMA. Which is not just reserved to NAMA, as I already said. It goes towards the OLFs, TPLF, and any other flavor by anyone else. I keep saying this and you keep hearing "You don't get to have Amhara organizations, but others do" I honestly don't know any other way to phrase it.

I support EZEMA's stance on many many things, yes, but I don't think they have any leaders in the caliber of Dr. Abiy, no offense to Prof. Berhanu or anyone else there. But I think with their good ideas combined with his ability to package them well for all Ethiopian minds, we can get to a very good place. That's why I support all of them and each positive steps they collaborate on. It wouldn't bother me one bit though if the tables were turned and EZEMA was on the driver seat and being counseled by Dr. Abiy's wing of ODP/ADP.

There is no appeasement of Jawar by the PM that I've seen. I do see some strategic patience much like he has shown other troublemakers in relation to the nationwide damage they can cause. And Jawar has the ability and the amoral quality to cause quite a bit.

I have gone at length in another thread about Dr. Abiy's positions towards Jawar and what, in my opinion, they mean. So I'd rather not repeat myself. But to summarize, I think there is a time to judge Dr. Abiy on his action or inaction and that is when Jawar commits a clear violation of the law for all to see. Not circumstantial threats or any of his rantings. Facebook is swimming with such talk already and all of the ones like him, Amhara included, are being tolerated due to hate speech laws still being in the works and also in the name of expanding freedom of speech. But when the law says he can't do X and he does X, with credible witnesses, then you and I can both stand there and criticize.

Although I disagree with the premise that it's appeasement, or "sharing the bed" as you put it, the alternative solution you suggest is still to continue practicing this flawed constitution in ways all those extremists are and try to beat them at their own game. Be just as fanatic as any Oromo extremist or just as lunatic as TPLF..then maybe they get scared and back off?

I'm sorry but Ethiopia is not the first country to experiment with ethnic based politics, only the latest tragic example. All the ones before that went into an arms-race of fanaticism like you suggest ended up in conflict and chaos. As stubborn as you think you are of being to advance 'your side', others will be too. On and on it will go.

Don't take my word on that, go research, you will not find a single successful place where your ideas were tried and they materialized into a helpful solution for it's people.
One major substance that I do firmly agree with you is the constitution being flawed. That same constitution is the very law that the PM declared openly not to change, just because one region that represents at least 1/3 the population, requested to. That very same constitution is the document which TPLF/OLF are sworn to death to defend. NAMA shares your position and stands with you in the Journey to amend that phony excuse passed as constitution.

You also seem not to be the fan of ethnic politics, which I can safely say, is a position that I share with you too. I for once didn’t say that ethnic politics is my preferred way of forming a party and, it takes no brainer to see how destructive that could be. The one thing that I disagree with you is, in respecting the law of the land until it is amended and, operate within its bound to make sure that I have a say in things that have adverse impacts on myself and people who share my identity. I did try to oppose the system from outside of its major purview and, ended up clashing with the government that preaches the sanctity of that same legal document. Now I am here arguing with you when I try to be a legal opposition who respects the law of the land and organizes as such. Sir, I will keep respecting the law until it is changed.

The EZEMA party is basically formed by mostly by people of Guraghe and Amara origin, at least those I see at the leadership level and, a few individuals from south and Gambela. I have yet to see any Tigran or Oromo joining hands with any party that does have Ethiopia as its prefix. This occurred while the power in the country is mostly controlled by parties who are formed on ethnic lines. As for the competition of who is less ugly in today’s political landscape of the country, you have made your choice in the man of the PM and, such was the ad nauseam by TPLF boys when MZ was at the helm. I have no quest to discredit the charm offensive abilities of both individuals. However, when the field is open for all to compete, we will see if those are the norms that we, as a society, we will be considering our bests.

The objective realities on the ground inform us of the positions of that the ethno nationalist parties are pushed forward by ODP at neck breaking speed, than what was observed under TPLF. The frequent ranting of the ODP leaders overtly solidifies the very fact that they are working only to own the bigger slice of the pie to their ethnic basis, than what is best for the country at large. This is what brought the reform started at a standstill. This is what brought the likes of me to organize and defend our basic rights before it is too late. We can’t afford to wait another 27 years. No sir!

I am curious though, to know what you expect the kind of politicking there to be in the country when the PM is elected again and, have the mandate as you asserted, to allow the amendment of the phony constitution. How is the federation going to be restructured? Just seeking to understand your expectation which by extension could be the position of the forces that you are supporting?

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 09 Aug 2019, 23:45

That's a start. Recognizing you don't want this constitution to continue being law of the land is the first step. The next logical step is to be working for it's dissolution not clamoring with others to benefit from it.

You've mentioned this thing with the PM not open to changing it multiple times, but that's just not true. He was explicitly clear that he agrees changing it is legally possible (breaking it down step by step during the latest press conference), that open discussion should first take place on it's merits and that the voice of the people ought to be heard on that discussion. That's as open and fair as anyone in his position can get.

As far as NAMA's intention towards constitutional changes, we both know the message coming out of NAMA is not how to work to dissolve the constitution, it's how to be counted as 'equals' in the ethnic federalism as it currently exists. That system only exists because of this constitution. Focusing Amhara minds on how to best exist in that system prolongs, not dismantles it.

If you truly share my distaste for ethnic politics, you should also be applying it across the board, with no exceptions for your own. Your quest to obtain more rights from this system is counterintuitive to being free from it altogether.

On the point of ODP's role towards pushing ethno-nationalists, I don't see where you're observing that as a collective party action. Just like in Amhara circles, where we have some interested in breaking free from ethnic-federalism while others are going in the opposite direction, they also have a side that is moving the ball forward and others trying to stop it or scare others into not acting. That is a natural thing that occurs in any political coalition that was born out of a single mission (defeating TPLF) and being successful in achieving it's mission.

What matters is not so much what some underlings are doing to hinder the process, it's that the leadership at the top setting the agenda is interested in moving forward. And there is every evidence that is the case here.

Us supporting those leaders to isolate and remove those underlings helps them win quicker.

As far as what the future holds beyond elections, I am not a seer so I cannot predict what is to come. What I hope happens though is a rapid succession of border dispute resolutions and proceedings on which sections of the constitution to first amend. That robs TPLF of the many organic disputes that it can exploit and also brings great deal of relief for those living in ethnic regions as minorities. Anything larger like full redefinition of regions by just geography or something of that magnitude would be very welcome of course, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.