Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
fana-solo

Thousands flee isolated Eritrea to escape Miserable life

Post by fana-solo » 05 Jul 2019, 20:11

ASMARA, Eritrea—On a cool March evening soon after his 16th birthday, Binyam Abraham waited until his mother and young siblings were sleeping and slipped away to begin the long trek toward Eritrea’s southern border.

With his father trapped in open-ended military service that would soon snare him, too, Binyam walked for 19 hours without food or water to reach Ethiopia. He made a choice 5,000 of his countrymen make each month, by a United Nations estimate: to flee Eritrea and brave the world’s deadliest migrant trail, across the Sahara and the Mediterranean to Europe.

They leave behind one of the world’s fastest-emptying nations: a country of about 4.5 million on the Horn of Africa, governed by a secretive dictatorship accused of human-rights violations, that is playing an outsize role in the biggest global migration crisis since World War II.
“I didn’t tell my mother before I left, but I didn’t have a choice,” Binyam said, sitting in a mud-brick shack at Adi-Harush, a refugee camp in the foothills of Ethiopia’s Simien Mountains that has become ground zero for Eritrea’s exodus. Flanked by five young friends, all planning to brave the same dangerous journey, he said: “I have to go to Europe so I can help my family.”

Attention is focused, amid the intensifying migration crisis, on Syrians fleeing civil war and making a dramatic run to Europe. Yet by some measures, the exodus from the smaller Eritrea is more extreme. From the start of 2017 to the middle of this year, 1 in 50 Eritreans sought asylum in Europe, nearly twice the ratio of Syrians, based on data from the European Union statistical service Eurostat.

The U.N. estimates that 400,000 Eritreans—9% of the population—have fled in recent years, not counting those who died or were stranded en route.
On the rickety smuggling boats crossing the Mediterranean, Eritreans comfortably outnumber other nationalities. More than a quarter of the 132,000 migrants arriving in Italy between January and September were Eritreans, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

Eritreans accounted for a majority of the 3,000 people who have drowned in the Mediterranean this year, humanitarian agencies say.

Despite this toll, emigration here is accelerating. The number of Eritreans seeking asylum in Europe quadrupled from 2011 to 46,000 last year. The exodus is catapulting the African country to the center of a divisive EU debate over which nations’ migrants should be granted refugee status, as the bloc struggles to respond to the wave from Syria.

The Eritreans flee one of the world’s most isolated nations, governed under emergency rule since a war with Ethiopia in 1998. Eritrea earlier fought a 30-year struggle for independence from Ethiopia, which is 20 times its size.

This David-and-Goliath dynamic has spurred Eritrea to maintain a state of emergency for 17 years, officials in Asmara said—suspending political, economic and social progress for the sake of national security.

A June U.N. report accused the regime, led by former rebel commander Isaias Afewerki, of “crimes against humanity” targeting its own population, including torture, mass surveillance and indefinite military conscription that amounts to a form of slavery. The government said the report, based on interviews done outside the country, was biased and false.

Eritrea is also under U.N. sanctions on a charge of supporting al Qaeda-linked terrorism in Somalia. In Eritrea, which is evenly split between Christians and Muslims, the government denies the charge.

Eritreans have been welcomed as refugees by EU governments since the 1980s, when they were fighting for independence against a Communist government in Ethiopia, according to the International Organization for Migration. But EU officials and migration experts say that now, Europe’s visceral debate over migration is pushing governments to reconsider that stance.

African asylum seekers are already being sidelined, say migration policy makers from the U.N. and other organizations.

present
Member+

Re: Thousands flee isolated Eritrea to escape Miserable life

Post by present » 05 Jul 2019, 23:01

But ascaris cockroach qorchames are here 24/7 hating on Ethiopians instead of at least praying for thier people

fana-solo wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 20:11
ASMARA, Eritrea—On a cool March evening soon after his 16th birthday, Binyam Abraham waited until his mother and young siblings were sleeping and slipped away to begin the long trek toward Eritrea’s southern border.

With his father trapped in open-ended military service that would soon snare him, too, Binyam walked for 19 hours without food or water to reach Ethiopia. He made a choice 5,000 of his countrymen make each month, by a United Nations estimate: to flee Eritrea and brave the world’s deadliest migrant trail, across the Sahara and the Mediterranean to Europe.

They leave behind one of the world’s fastest-emptying nations: a country of about 4.5 million on the Horn of Africa, governed by a secretive dictatorship accused of human-rights violations, that is playing an outsize role in the biggest global migration crisis since World War II.
“I didn’t tell my mother before I left, but I didn’t have a choice,” Binyam said, sitting in a mud-brick shack at Adi-Harush, a refugee camp in the foothills of Ethiopia’s Simien Mountains that has become ground zero for Eritrea’s exodus. Flanked by five young friends, all planning to brave the same dangerous journey, he said: “I have to go to Europe so I can help my family.”

Attention is focused, amid the intensifying migration crisis, on Syrians fleeing civil war and making a dramatic run to Europe. Yet by some measures, the exodus from the smaller Eritrea is more extreme. From the start of 2017 to the middle of this year, 1 in 50 Eritreans sought asylum in Europe, nearly twice the ratio of Syrians, based on data from the European Union statistical service Eurostat.

The U.N. estimates that 400,000 Eritreans—9% of the population—have fled in recent years, not counting those who died or were stranded en route.
On the rickety smuggling boats crossing the Mediterranean, Eritreans comfortably outnumber other nationalities. More than a quarter of the 132,000 migrants arriving in Italy between January and September were Eritreans, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

Eritreans accounted for a majority of the 3,000 people who have drowned in the Mediterranean this year, humanitarian agencies say.

Despite this toll, emigration here is accelerating. The number of Eritreans seeking asylum in Europe quadrupled from 2011 to 46,000 last year. The exodus is catapulting the African country to the center of a divisive EU debate over which nations’ migrants should be granted refugee status, as the bloc struggles to respond to the wave from Syria.

The Eritreans flee one of the world’s most isolated nations, governed under emergency rule since a war with Ethiopia in 1998. Eritrea earlier fought a 30-year struggle for independence from Ethiopia, which is 20 times its size.

This David-and-Goliath dynamic has spurred Eritrea to maintain a state of emergency for 17 years, officials in Asmara said—suspending political, economic and social progress for the sake of national security.

A June U.N. report accused the regime, led by former rebel commander Isaias Afewerki, of “crimes against humanity” targeting its own population, including torture, mass surveillance and indefinite military conscription that amounts to a form of slavery. The government said the report, based on interviews done outside the country, was biased and false.

Eritrea is also under U.N. sanctions on a charge of supporting al Qaeda-linked terrorism in Somalia. In Eritrea, which is evenly split between Christians and Muslims, the government denies the charge.

Eritreans have been welcomed as refugees by EU governments since the 1980s, when they were fighting for independence against a Communist government in Ethiopia, according to the International Organization for Migration. But EU officials and migration experts say that now, Europe’s visceral debate over migration is pushing governments to reconsider that stance.

African asylum seekers are already being sidelined, say migration policy makers from the U.N. and other organizations.

fana-solo

Post by fana-solo » 06 Jul 2019, 13:50

present wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 23:01
But ascaris cockroach qorchames are here 24/7 hating on Ethiopians instead of at least praying for thier people

Present you heat the nail. ጃጀውቲ ጻሕጻሕቲ ቆርማዳት ሓማሴን are cleaning themselves from the face of the earth, because they are unable to lead life in they own homeland. Looks like they miss Ethiopian ነጭ ጤፍ እና ቁርጥ ስጋ። ኢትዮጵያዊ መሆን ባርነት ነው ብሎ ጉድ ሆነ ይሄ የጣልያን ኣሽከር።
fana-solo wrote:

Cigar
Member+

Post by Cigar » 06 Jul 2019, 14:15

You two dumb as*ses filthy agames, is this a way of begging Eritreans to unite with Ethiopia because as you said we missed eating tire siga or is it because of trying to make us guilty of being an independent nation?
We rather live in misery all our lives than to be called none Eritreans.
I mean, we living in miseries is the wish of you agames. So, why do you shed crocodile tears for us even if your claim was true?
And when did we say that we hate the ethiopians?
We hate no people, unless people of any ethnic group or a country as a whole hates us first.
All we would like for the likes of you is ......even if it is forcibly to accept that we are Eritreans, just like we accept you on who you are.
It is your prerogative to vomit all your crap to demonize us, but only stupid or jealous people would say that we miss being part of Ethiopia, unless you yourselves wish that we were part of you.
By the way, stop bringing a 100 years old crap and parrot is as new.
And yes, there are more Ethiopians specially tegarus refugees than Eritreans.
That is just the fact you Eritrean identity thieves.

Degnet
Senior Member+

Post by Degnet » 06 Jul 2019, 14:19

fana-solo wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 13:50
present wrote:

Present you heat the nail. ጃጀውቲ ጻሕጻሕቲ ቆርማዳት ሓማሴን are cleaning themselves from the face of the earth, because they are unable to lead life in they own homeland. Looks like they miss Ethiopian ነጭ ጤፍ እና ቁርጥ ስጋ። ኢትዮጵያዊ መሆን ባርነት ነው ብሎ ጉድ ሆነ ይሄ የጣልያን ኣሽከር።
fana-solo wrote:

Why do you lie,there are many great Eritreans,most people have taken that Eritrea is their country’s name now.

pastlast

Post by pastlast » 06 Jul 2019, 14:22

Every Cigar rant is some form of this feces chart, Cigar the Noise-making Anous somteimes spits as the gas passes:

Cigar wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:15
You two dumb as*ses filthy agames, is this a way of begging Eritreans to unite with Ethiopia because as you said we missed eating tire siga or is it because of trying to make us guilty of being an independent nation?
We rather live in misery all our lives than to be called none Eritreans.
I mean, we living in miseries is the wish of you agames. So, why do you shed crocodile tears for us even if your claim was true?
And when did we say that we hate the ethiopians?
We hate no people, unless people of any ethnic group or a country as a whole hates us first.
All we would like for the likes of you is ......even if it is forcibly to accept that we are Eritreans, just like we accept you on who you are.
It is your prerogative to vomit all your crap to demonize us, but only stupid or jealous people would say that we miss being part of Ethiopia, unless you yourselves wish that we were part of you.
By the way, stop bringing a 100 years old crap and parrot is as new.
And yes, there are more Ethiopians specially tegarus refugees than Eritreans.
That is just the fact you Eritrean identity thieves.

Cigar
Member+

Post by Cigar » 06 Jul 2019, 14:29

Pasta*sshole, make that "you three filthy dumb as*ses agames"
Go use your weekend precious time searching your a*ss hole being invaded by your boyfriends videos and stop addressing me and wasting my time.
I am going to ignore you like I did with Adwusha 11 years ago.

pastlast

Post by pastlast » 06 Jul 2019, 14:36

Whatever Schit-mouth, your just a Toilet for Isayas and Yemane to Schit and Pee and throw their Used Cond 0ms in your Mouth! hahahaha
Cigar wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:29
Pasta*sshole, make that "you three filthy dumb as*ses agames"
Go use your weekend precious time searching your a*ss hole being invaded by your boyfriends videos and stop addressing me and wasting my time.
I am going to ignore you like I did with Adwusha 11 years ago.

present
Member+

Post by present » 08 Jul 2019, 00:49

Fana,
You are absolutely right. The ascaris thought they were going to hit a jack-pot, but instead, they hit a jack as's disaster! we have never seen or heard of before. Not even in the Bible :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fana-solo wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 13:50
present wrote:

fana-solo wrote:

present
Member+

Post by present » 08 Jul 2019, 21:14

Who is left that shi't hole? :lol: :lol:

Zmeselo

Post by Zmeselo » 08 Jul 2019, 22:03

Your ppl fought & bled for 30 odd years, for a shíthole?

You're a total dumbašs, man. :roll:

May Ethiopians, collectively, shít in your mouth.
present wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 21:14
Who is left that shi't hole? :lol: :lol:

Axumawi
Member+

Post by Axumawi » 11 Jul 2019, 01:14

fana-solo wrote:

Very sad situation

For 20 years they blamed and cursed Weyannie

Now they said Game over danced Hindu dance...yet scared shi-tless of libi tigray..

Who to blame now?