Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Za Dengel

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Za Dengel » 29 Apr 2019, 14:04

Sadacha Macca wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 17:27
1) there is no consensus on the origins of the term ''galla,'' there are multiple theories in regards to its origin: but one thing's for sure: it's an insult and oromos never called themselves this. that should be sufficient if u consider urself as an ally of the oromo, or even someone who respects them and wants to co-exist with the oromo-the backbone of ethiopia.

2) yes ilma is child or child of, so ilma orma=children/or sons, of the men, or brave men.
this is what the white man found us calling ourselves upon their arrival to our part of africa.
Some Muslim Oromo groups used to prefer to be called galla than Oromo because the latter for them denoted being pagan. Watch Donald Levin ESAT interview.

Rtt

Post by Rtt » 29 Apr 2019, 14:45

AbyssiniaLady wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 13:05
Somaliman wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:45
Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar bitc.h switching identity by convenience! You can fool the newcomers on this forum but not me!
"Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo" which means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief etc
In Somali, 'Gaal' does only mean non-Muslim Period! It doesn't have any of those connotations that you're proudly but ignorantly listing out! Therefore stop talking about what you haven't got a clue about, and most of all your baseless extrapolation.

In addition, there's only 'gaal', and 'gaalo', which is the plural of 'gaal', in Somali, thus there's nothing called "Gaalla/Gaallo" in Somali. Again, keep such bullshit with yourself. Those words don't even exist in Somali, which apparently you don't seem to speak well - needless to add that you're only laying yourself open to ridicule!

There's no tangible evidence whatsoever that suggests the word "Gaal" meant anything else other than 'camel' in Somali prior to the appearance of the white colonialism in the continent. And to date, 'Gaal' is only referred to western whites and without any pejorative connotation. If we had to call someone 'Gaal/Gaalo', I believe Amharas would have been the best candidates, since for most Somalis Ethiopia used to be synonymous with Amhara prior to Ogaden War.

Someone with your IQ should have a low voice too! Just a thought!

I lived in Djibouti for well over 20 years and I read, write and speak Somali fluently, Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief (Someone like you) and Geel mean Camel.

Go to images.google.com and type Somali Geel.
Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar.
You are such a douchebag..

Afar's are more closely related to Somalis than to your Tigrayans people and linguistically, Somalis, Afar and Eritrean Saho share like 95 percent of their vocabulary, You and Halafi Mengedi are by far the dumbest Tigrayan seniors in this forum.
What is your ethinc background ? And why did you named yourself an AbisiniyansLady ? Are you an even worse, malnutritioned Afar :lol: ? An Afar talking shiit about Oromo's land is the Funniest thing I ever read in this forum :mrgreen:

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 29 Apr 2019, 16:29

AbyssiniaLady wrote:
Somaliman wrote:
Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar bitc.h switching identity by convenience! You can fool the newcomers on this forum but not me!
In Somali, 'Gaal' does only mean non-Muslim Period! It doesn't have any of those connotations that you're proudly but ignorantly listing out! Therefore stop talking about what you haven't got a clue about, and most of all your baseless extrapolation.

In addition, there's only 'gaal', and 'gaalo', which is the plural of 'gaal', in Somali, thus there's nothing called "Gaalla/Gaallo" in Somali. Again, keep such bullshit with yourself. Those words don't even exist in Somali, which apparently you don't seem to speak well - needless to add that you're only laying yourself open to ridicule!

There's no tangible evidence whatsoever that suggests the word "Gaal" meant anything else other than 'camel' in Somali prior to the appearance of the white colonialism in the continent. And to date, 'Gaal' is only referred to western whites and without any pejorative connotation. If we had to call someone 'Gaal/Gaalo', I believe Amharas would have been the best candidates, since for most Somalis Ethiopia used to be synonymous with Amhara prior to Ogaden War.

I lived in Djibouti for well over 20 years and I read, write and speak Somali fluently, Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief (Someone like you) and Geel mean Camel.

Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar.

Afar's are more closely related to Somalis than to your Tigrayans people and linguistically, Somalis, Afar and Eritrean Saho share like 95 percent of their vocabulary, You and Halafi Mengedi are by far the dumbest Tigrayan seniors in this forum.

Let me educate you a bit. Somali language is composed of two main dialects, which are Maay and Maxaa Tiri. Maay is considered as the source and origin of the Somali language - as Maxaa Tiri has evolved from Maay.

In the Maay dialect, camel is called "Gaal", and this word is borrowed from Maay and used also in Maxaa Tiri dialect for certain contexts, such as 'Xero Gaal', 'Haruub Gaal' etc.

I reiterate, 'Gaal' means in both dialects a non-Muslim, the rest of those nouns and adjectives remain your fabrication. And these days we only use it to refer a white person from the western countries.

linguistically, Somalis, Afar and Eritrean Saho share like 95 percent of their vocabulary
You must be talking out of your head!

Linguistically speaking, when two languages share more than 50% of vocabulary, they're no longer considered as separate languages but dialects of a same language, which is absolutely not the case for "Somalis, Afar and Eritrean Saho" - and anyone who speaks one of these languages would agree with me without even thinking!

You see, if there's a douchebag on this forum, it can only be you! Get informed before you drag your mouth upon this forum!

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 29 Apr 2019, 16:45

Rtt wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:45
AbyssiniaLady wrote:
Somaliman wrote:

What is your ethinc background ? And why did you named yourself an AbisiniyansLady ? Are you an even worse, malnutritioned Afar :lol: ? An Afar talking shiit about Oromo's land is the Funniest thing I ever read in this forum :mrgreen:

Not only is she funny and has identity crisis, but also is an idiot often talking about what she hasn't got a clue about.

These days she's defending and even praising Somalis, but about 10 years ago she used to demonise Somalis as the worst people on earth. Give her a few months and you'll see her switching and siding with another ethnicity - no wonder I call her a chameleon bitc.h.

I'm Somali from Somalia, but I know it has lately become customary on this forum to call Tigrayan anyone we don't agree with!

AbyssiniaLady
Member+

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 30 Apr 2019, 15:17

Tigrayman.

Somali, Afar and Saho are mutually intelligible.

These words are almost exactly the same!!

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 30 Apr 2019, 15:36

Rtt wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:45
AbyssiniaLady wrote:
Somaliman wrote:

I think she/he is Somali/Oromo mix.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 30 Apr 2019, 17:29

AbyssiniaLady wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 15:17
Tigrayman.

Somali, Afar and Saho are mutually intelligible.

These words are almost exactly the same!!
You list a dozen words and want to tell us that these languages share 95% of their vocabulary! Total nonsense! I can list a hundred words that Russian and French (or Italian) share together, yet we know Russian has little to do with Romance languages. But they all belong to the group of Indo-European languages. Not because they're distantly related that they're close to each other - leave alone sharing 95% of their vocabulary!

Only very few languages, such as Greek, Finnish, Basque, share little with other languages. in Somali we say 'lapiz' which is a Spanish word for pencil, and there's no trace the Spanish people have ever set foot in Somalia.

I keep hearing/reading that Oromo and Somali languages are related to each other. Although they're believed to be both cushitic languages, I find less than 1% of similarity when I have a look at a text written in Oromigna,

Most of those words that you've listed don't pronounce the same in the two languages in question. Etymologically they may share origin and meaning, but they sound differently, thus we cannot say they're same. Human ears are not trained to analyse the etymology of the sound they capture. Their function is to primarily capture a sound and translate it (through the brain) into something meaningful to the person. I wouldn't understand most of those words unless they're written.

Why do you think I'll be irritated by calling me a Tigrayman! Hell, I'll not as they're human-beings like anyone, as least to me!
Last edited by Somaliman on 01 May 2019, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Khysion

Post by Khysion » 30 Apr 2019, 22:27

Za Dengel wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 15:56
There might be a word galla in Somali language but you can’t for sure say it’s connected with the Oromo ppl because the word is also found in Oromo language with different meaning. For Oromo it was war cry and it’s possible that Ethiopians heard it from them and used it to identify them.
That word "Galla" comes from the Somali language. It means infidel. Basically, describing our backward neighbours. That name was imposed on Oromos by Somalis.

The word Galla originated from the Somali language but because we used it to belittle Oromos. Other groups in the Horn started copying us. The guy you just quoted from was absolutely right.

By the way, the word Galla is not found in any Oromo dialect.

Rtt

Post by Rtt » 01 May 2019, 05:08

Khysion wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 22:27
Za Dengel wrote:
There might be a word galla in Somali language but you can’t for sure say it’s connected with the Oromo ppl because the word is also found in Oromo language with different meaning. For Oromo it was war cry and it’s possible that Ethiopians heard it from them and used it to identify them.
That word "Galla" comes from the Somali language. It means infidel. Basically, describing our backward neighbours. That name was imposed on Oromos by Somalis.

The word Galla originated from the Somali language but because we used it to belittle Oromos. Other groups in the Horn started copying us. The guy you just quoted from was absolutely right.

Their are many theories about the origin of Galla word, but I'm sure it didn't originated in somali. Their is no written evidence to back up your claim. Your just being a somali, taking credit for everything that doesn't belong to you.

The Oromos first had contact with amhara and other ethinc groups during their migration before somalis. They were even called Galla even before their migration. Its highly possible the name coming from a river called galan which they were bordered by. And somalis didn't had that much contact with other ethinc groups for them to lend a word. Why would amhara and other minority groups take a name from somalis when they were hostile to one onother ?

Za Dengel : I don't think "AbyssinianLady" is an Oromo mix. I've seen him/her insulting Oromo too many times for her to not be one. I don't think he/she is somali either cause she addmited to that above by saying she lived their for 20 years. If she was somali, she would not have said that. I think afar is higly possible.

Ideaforum

Post by Ideaforum » 01 May 2019, 05:22

This senseless meaning is from TPLF rats! You always try to give dividing comments! This never helped anyone even you ga*gs! If Oromo doesn’t like any word that is enough! TPLF rats are always afraid of the innocent, loving and brave Oromo! It is because once Oromo creates unity the it is difficult for thieves to survive!! Thieves are basically TPLF rats!!

pibor wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 21:23
Galla is derogatory word that came from somali language

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 09:59

I can assure you that the word "Galla" is not found in any Somali dialect either.

There's nothing called "Galla" in Somali, or any Somali dialect. You're confusing with "Gaal" which literally means nothing else other than camel or non-Muslim - the "backward neighbours" stuff is your extrapolation, I'm afraid. In addition, the word "Gaal, as I explained earlier, we've started to use it to refer to white people from western countries, such as European colonisers, peace corps, explorers, religion preachers etc - and to date this usage remains prevalent among Somalis.

Show me one little evidence that the word "Galla" has ever existed in Somali - leave alone originating from Somali!

AbyssiniaLady
Member+

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 01 May 2019, 11:39

in Somali we say 'lapiz' which a Spanish word for pencil

Free Somali lessons for Tigrayanman.

Khysion

Post by Khysion » 01 May 2019, 15:26

Rtt wrote:
01 May 2019, 05:08
Their are many theories about the origin of Galla word, but I'm sure it didn't originated in somali. Their is no written evidence to back up your claim. Your just being a somali, taking credit for everything that doesn't belong to you.

The Oromos first had contact with amhara and other ethinc groups during their migration before somalis. They were even called Galla even before their migration. Its highly possible the name coming from a river called galan which they were bordered by. And somalis didn't had that much contact with other ethinc groups for them to lend a word. Why would amhara and other minority groups take a name from somalis when they were hostile to one onother ?

Za Dengel : I don't think "AbyssinianLady" is an Oromo mix. I've seen him/her insulting Oromo too many times for her to not be one. I don't think he/she is somali either cause she addmited to that above by saying she lived their for 20 years. If she was somali, she would not have said that. I think afar is higly possible.
Somalis had contact with Abyssinians and other ethnic groups during the Ifat period. Even in ancient times, the Somali city-states had contacts with Axum. Oromo migration began in the 16th century. What nonsense are you talking about? Somalis had long borders with Oromos. The Ajuran Empire called them "Gaal madow" and Adal Sultanate called them "Gaal madow" until other groups under Somalis in Adal Sultanate used our word and it spread to Abyssinia. The Abyssinians simply Semiticized that word "Galla" but the original word was called "Gaal". Somalis used to call Oromos gaal.

I do have evidence. You should read the book called The Cambridge History of Africa

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 15:40

I do have evidence. You should read the book called The Cambridge History of Africa

You don't have any evidence, you're simply asking people to read a book! That's not an evidence.

From "Gaal" to Galla/Gaalla" constitutes the most simplistic extrapolation by convenience.

Khysion

Post by Khysion » 01 May 2019, 15:43

Somaliman wrote:
01 May 2019, 09:59

I can assure you that the word "Galla" is not found in any Somali dialect either.

There's nothing called "Galla" in Somali, or any Somali dialect. You're confusing with "Gaal" which literally means nothing else other than camel or non-Muslim - the "backward neighbours" stuff is your extrapolation, I'm afraid. In addition, the word "Gaal, as I explained earlier, we've started to use it to refer to white people from western countries, such as European colonisers, peace corps, explorers, religion preachers etc - and to date this usage remains prevalent among Somalis.

Show me one little evidence that the word "Galla" has ever existed in Somali - leave alone originating from Somali!
Adiga you're not Somali so keep your mouth shut. The word "Gaal" and "Galla" is the same thing meaning pagan. Other groups in the horn got our influence. The Habesha people simply Amharanized the word "Gaal".

Somalis used to call Oromos "Gaal Madow" and during the medieval times when Oromos tried to expand towards southern Somalia but the Ajuran Kingdom successfully repelled their expansion. The Ajurans called them "Gaal Madow".

Khysion

Post by Khysion » 01 May 2019, 15:48

Somaliman wrote:
01 May 2019, 15:40

You don't have any evidence, you're simply asking people to read a book! That's not an evidence.

From "Gaal" to Galla/Gaalla" constitutes the most simplistic extrapolation by convenience.
Yes, it is an evidence you stupid negro.

There is something called loan words. When other languages take loan words from other languages. They sometimes make a little edit on the word but the word has the same meaning. Galla is not Habesha or Oromo language.

For example, we Somalis have some loan words from the Arabic language. One example face. The Arabs say "wajah" while the Somalis say "wajiga" but both the same meaning. Just the word got Somalinized.

Same thing with Gaal and Galla which means pagan. It is not found in any Habesha sub-languages or Oromo dialects. This is a fact. They got influenced by Somalis.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 16:10

Khysion wrote:
01 May 2019, 15:26
Rtt wrote:

Somalis had contact with Abyssinians and other ethnic groups during the Ifat period. Even in ancient times, the Somali city-states had contacts with Axum. Oromo migration began in the 16th century. What nonsense are you talking about? Somalis had long borders with Oromos. The Ajuran Empire called them "Gaal madow" and Adal Sultanate called them "Gaal madow" until other groups under Somalis in Adal Sultanate used our word and it spread to Abyssinia. The Abyssinians simply Semiticized that word "Galla" but the original word was called "Gaal". Somalis used to call Oromos gaal.

"Gaal madow"
The usage of such phrase (which means black gaal = non-Muslim black) substantiates that the word "Gaal" was initially used to refer to whites exclusively, and that it has later been extended to refer to any non-Muslim by adding the colour of their skin, in the above phrase.........to the extent that we somalis even use it to refer to any self-centered Somali who doesn't help his/her relatives, or who has selfish tendency.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 16:33

Khysion wrote:
01 May 2019, 15:43
Somaliman wrote:
01 May 2019, 09:59

Adiga you're not Somali so keep your mouth shut. The word "Gaal" and "Galla" is the same thing meaning pagan. Other groups in the horn got our influence. The Habesha people simply Amharanized the word "Gaal".

Somalis used to call Oromos "Gaal Madow" and during the medieval times when Oromos tried to expand towards southern Somalia but the Ajuran Kingdom successfully repelled their expansion. The Ajurans called them "Gaal Madow".

If someone who should shut their fucking mouth (and even their arse) is apparently you, idiot, because you're talking about what you haven't got a clue about. Keep your crap with your mates at Somali cafeterias, where retards like you can talk without being listened to by anyone. All you're saying is, Somalized, Amharanized, influenced. Show us a single evidence. You're talking through your arse.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 17:48

Rtt wrote:
Khysion wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 22:27
Za Dengel wrote:

Spot On! Excellent analysis.

Since there are Somali clans called "Gaal Jecel/Gaal Jeel", which literally mean camel lovers, it might also be possible that the word "Gaal" might have matured with time and ended up in "Galla/Gaalla" for the fact that Oromos people are also known as camel pastoralists, rather than the idiotic baseless narrative that retards such as Abyssinialady, Khysion etc., are trying to stick on Oromo people.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 01 May 2019, 18:10

AbyssiniaLady wrote:
01 May 2019, 11:39
in Somali we say 'lapiz' which a Spanish word for pencil

Free Somali lessons for Tigrayanman.

Lapiz is written as Laabis in Somali, but it means pencil as it does in Spanish.

No way an Afar bitc.ch could teach me my maternal language.

FYI, Djiboutians do not speak Somali well, but as they make us laugh we don't mind.