Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 26 Apr 2019, 21:10

Galla is derogatory, I guess! How and why!

pibor
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 12:00

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by pibor » 26 Apr 2019, 21:23

Galla is derogatory word that came from somali language

Sadacha Macca
Senior Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Sadacha Macca » 27 Apr 2019, 15:33

they both are your nightmare and you have an unhealthy obsession with them :)

Za Dengel
Member
Posts: 478
Joined: 30 Jun 2018, 10:22

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Za Dengel » 27 Apr 2019, 15:56

pibor wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 21:23
Galla is derogatory word that came from somali language
There might be a word galla in Somali language but you can’t for sure say it’s connected with the Oromo ppl because the word is also found in Oromo language with different meaning. For Oromo it was war cry and it’s possible that Ethiopians heard it from them and used it to identify them.

mollamo
Member
Posts: 563
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 12:22

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by mollamo » 27 Apr 2019, 16:02

How come Galla is derogatory word? The people original name is Galla until the Germans gave the name Oromo to them. If you go look back to history the name Galla has been written in history books. The Oromos consider it as derogatory them sieves out of being inferior. This is the fact.

Sadacha Macca
Senior Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Sadacha Macca » 27 Apr 2019, 16:23

mollamo wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 16:02
How come Galla is derogatory word? The people original name is Galla until the Germans gave the name Oromo to them. If you go look back to history the name Galla has been written in history books. The Oromos consider it as derogatory them sieves out of being inferior. This is the fact.
Because it's an insult, and not a name we ever referred to ourselves as. A German Missionary, J Krapf came up with the term ''Ormania'' as a potential name for an Oromo country; but we've been calling ourselves ''ILMA ORMA'' before a single white man came to our part of Africa.
So, once again, you are wrong. You know nothing about us, the good thing is, I am here to put ignorant idiots like you, in check.


8)

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 27 Apr 2019, 19:17

Sadacha Macca wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 15:33
they both are your nightmare and you have an unhealthy obsession with them :)

You little donkey, I can easily put you in your place, but by doing so I might disappoint some peace loving Oromos who have a great esteem for Somalis.

Besides, what does ''ILMA ORMA'' mean!

Sadacha Macca
Senior Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Sadacha Macca » 27 Apr 2019, 20:11

Somaliman wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 19:17
Sadacha Macca wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 15:33
they both are your nightmare and you have an unhealthy obsession with them :)

You little donkey, I can easily put you in your place, but by doing so I might disappoint some peace loving Oromos who have a great esteem for Somalis.

Besides, what does ''ILMA ORMA'' mean!
You cannot do anything but talk tough online, mr tigrayan man, because in real life: you know what Oromos are capable of.
We chased away one of the most heavily armed governments in africa: do you think we will be afraid of you, a random coward on the internet?
LOL, what a joke.

Ilma Orma=son of men, or son of brave men.
It's what we called ourselves, before the White man stepped foot in our part of Africa.

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 27 Apr 2019, 20:28

Does Ilma mean child, or son as ilma(o) mean child (children) in Somali - even though you seem to be convinced that I'm a Tigrayan!

What does make you believe that I'm a Tigrayan, BTW!

simbe11
Member
Posts: 1043
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 13:02

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by simbe11 » 27 Apr 2019, 21:42

Am not sure where is the origin of the word Oromo is from. But as far as the word Galla considered, it means my own body. It sounds like “gelane” or “gelaye” for Amharic.
That’s what I was told and don’t consider it insult. But if people are offended by it, I refrain from using it.

AbyssiniaLady
Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: 04 Feb 2007, 05:44

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 28 Apr 2019, 06:18

Tigrayanman.

The word Galla is a derivative of the Somali word "Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo" which means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief etc so refrain from using that word, It's quite offensive to a lot of Muslims Oromo's, that name was imposed on Oromo's by Somalis

And the word Oromo has no meaning in all afaan Oromo dialects.

mollamo
Member
Posts: 563
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 12:22

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by mollamo » 28 Apr 2019, 12:48

The first verifiable record mentioning the Oromo people by a European cartographer is in the map made by the Italian Fra Mauro in 1460, which uses the term "Galla".[9] The map was likely drawn after consultations with Tigriyan monks (which produced notable monks such as Abba Bahrey) who visited Italy in 1441 . Galla was a term for a river and a forest, as well as for the pastoral people established in the highlands of southern Ethiopia.[25] This historical information, according to Mohammed Hassen, is consistent with the written and oral traditions of the Somalis.[26] The historical evidence therefore suggests that the Oromo people were already established in the southern highlands in or before the 15th century, and that at least some Oromo people were interacting with other Ethiopian ethnic groups. Clearly the name was theirs. They distorted history and they think that galla name was given by Amharas.

mollamo
Member
Posts: 563
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 12:22

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by mollamo » 28 Apr 2019, 12:50

The first verifiable record mentioning the Oromo people by a European cartographer is in the map made by the Italian Fra Mauro in 1460, which uses the term "Galla".[9] The map was likely drawn after consultations with Tigriyan monks (which produced notable monks such as Abba Bahrey) who visited Italy in 1441 . Galla was a term for a river and a forest, as well as for the pastoral people established in the highlands of southern Ethiopia.[25] This historical information, according to Mohammed Hassen, is consistent with the written and oral traditions of the Somalis.[26] The historical evidence therefore suggests that the Oromo people were already established in the southern highlands in or before the 15th century, and that at least some Oromo people were interacting with other Ethiopian ethnic groups

AfranQallo
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: 04 Jan 2018, 19:43

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by AfranQallo » 28 Apr 2019, 12:52

Somaliman wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 20:28
Does Ilma mean child, or son as ilma(o) mean child (children) in Somali - even though you seem to be convinced that I'm a Tigrayan!

What does make you believe that I'm a Tigrayan, BTW!
Ilma or ilmo is child. Ilma Orma meaning children or sons of men(brave men).

Ilma is the same as the Somali word for child.

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 28 Apr 2019, 15:45

AbyssiniaLady wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 06:18
Tigrayanman.

The word Galla is a derivative of the Somali word "Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo" which means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief etc so refrain from using that word, It's quite offensive to a lot of Muslims Oromo's, that name was imposed on Oromo's by Somalis

And the word Oromo has no meaning in all afaan Oromo dialects.

Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar bitc.h switching identity by convenience! You can fool the newcomers on this forum but not me!
"Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo" which means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief etc
In Somali, 'Gaal' does only mean non-Muslim Period! It doesn't have any of those connotations that you're proudly but ignorantly listing out! Therefore stop talking about what you haven't got a clue about, and most of all your baseless extrapolation.

In addition, there's only 'gaal', and 'gaalo', which is the plural of 'gaal', in Somali, thus there's nothing called "Gaalla/Gaallo" in Somali. Again, keep such bullshit with yourself. Those words don't even exist in Somali, which apparently you don't seem to speak well - needless to add that you're only laying yourself open to ridicule!

There's no tangible evidence whatsoever that suggests the word "Gaal" meant anything else other than 'camel' in Somali prior to the appearance of the white colonialism in the continent. And to date, 'Gaal' is only referred to western whites and without any pejorative connotation. If we had to call someone 'Gaal/Gaalo', I believe Amharas would have been the best candidates, since for most Somalis Ethiopia used to be synonymous with Amhara prior to Ogaden War.

Someone with your IQ should have a low voice too! Just a thought!

Sadacha Macca
Senior Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Sadacha Macca » 28 Apr 2019, 17:27

1) there is no consensus on the origins of the term ''galla,'' there are multiple theories in regards to its origin: but one thing's for sure: it's an insult and oromos never called themselves this. that should be sufficient if u consider urself as an ally of the oromo, or even someone who respects them and wants to co-exist with the oromo-the backbone of ethiopia.

2) yes ilma is child or child of, so ilma orma=children/or sons, of the men, or brave men.
this is what the white man found us calling ourselves upon their arrival to our part of africa.

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 28 Apr 2019, 18:26

Since no credible version is out there to evidence the origins of the word/name Galla, how has it evolved to gain such derogatory connotation, then! There must exist some historical evolution that has paved the way.....

Does it have same or similar reflection as "Kaffir", which is perceived as a racist slur by black South Africans!

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 1371
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Somaliman » 28 Apr 2019, 19:20

One thing is for sure, we Somalis from Somalia are just staring to realise that Ethiopians are not only raw meat eating and fleas riddled people! We're improving to an extent that I'm trying to even find out the origins of the word/name Galla!

Sadacha Macca
Senior Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by Sadacha Macca » 28 Apr 2019, 21:55

Regardless of the origin, when non Oromos used it to refer to us, a nation who never used the word to refer to ourselves, it was in the context of insulting us; hence the reason why we see it that way.

AbyssiniaLady
Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: 04 Feb 2007, 05:44

Re: What is the difference between Galla and Oromo!

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 29 Apr 2019, 13:05

Somaliman wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:45
Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar bitc.h switching identity by convenience! You can fool the newcomers on this forum but not me!
"Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo" which means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief etc
In Somali, 'Gaal' does only mean non-Muslim Period! It doesn't have any of those connotations that you're proudly but ignorantly listing out! Therefore stop talking about what you haven't got a clue about, and most of all your baseless extrapolation.

In addition, there's only 'gaal', and 'gaalo', which is the plural of 'gaal', in Somali, thus there's nothing called "Gaalla/Gaallo" in Somali. Again, keep such bullshit with yourself. Those words don't even exist in Somali, which apparently you don't seem to speak well - needless to add that you're only laying yourself open to ridicule!

There's no tangible evidence whatsoever that suggests the word "Gaal" meant anything else other than 'camel' in Somali prior to the appearance of the white colonialism in the continent. And to date, 'Gaal' is only referred to western whites and without any pejorative connotation. If we had to call someone 'Gaal/Gaalo', I believe Amharas would have been the best candidates, since for most Somalis Ethiopia used to be synonymous with Amhara prior to Ogaden War.

Someone with your IQ should have a low voice too! Just a thought!

I lived in Djibouti for well over 20 years and I read, write and speak Somali fluently, Gaal/Gaalla/Gaallo means infidel, merciless, barbaric, thief (Someone like you) and Geel mean Camel.

Go to images.google.com and type Somali Geel.
Be assured you're closer to Tigrayans more than I could be as you're a chameleon Afar.
You are such a douchebag..

Afar's are more closely related to Somalis than to your Tigrayans people and linguistically, Somalis, Afar and Eritrean Saho share like 95 percent of their vocabulary, You and Halafi Mengedi are by far the dumbest Tigrayan seniors in this forum.

Post Reply