Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Axumawi
Member+

The Decline and Fall of Abyssinia

Post by Axumawi » 15 Apr 2019, 13:51

The final nail in the coffin happened in 1908, that can be taken as the official and formal date of death.

The sign that one people or empire could say they were alive was sea faring. If you were not sea faring in the 19th century, you are a nobody. All European empires had decided to hold all sea coast around Africa, Asea and Americas, anywhere from 20-100km inland.

Abyssinia sea faring days were long over by the Persians and later the Ottomans. Abyssinia has used from Suakin to Berbera at one time or another.Yet one by one lost every port and totally cut off from the sea. Travel by ships/boats for Abyssinians became either using one of the European empires or over land through Sudan/Egypt.

Negadras Gebrehiwet Baykedagn trip from Adwa to Austo-Hungary and then back to what he found Ethiopia shows the total transformation. He left Abyssinia and came back to Ethiopia. Even when exiled, he did not go back to Europe, he went to Sudan and Eritrea.

Was Abyssinia dead long before empires competition heated up for sea routes and sea coasts?

Did the competition for sea routes and coasts kill Abyssinia?

Axumawi
Member+

Re: The Decline and Fall of Abyssinia

Post by Axumawi » 15 Apr 2019, 14:01

Was watching the Real Davinci code and Romans:Julius Cesare by Tony Robinson.

What showed me was how almost all important incidents are connected and part of chain of events that accumulate into the big changes.

Example: The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Habeshas would rather Bragg about a dead empire, than trying to recover. Renaissance need to be incorporated into every economic, social, cultural endeavor, otherwise becomes meaningless.

Horus,
Thank you for reminding me that I am not an Englishman, an Israeli or a Swiss. But as I told you, It only takes 2 generations to join the club. Where do you get a chance to work at this for 2 generations is the 64 million dollar question.