Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Damte

Corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA)

Post by Damte » 14 Mar 2019, 13:12

The degree of corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA) is extremely shocking. If someone wants to have electric power connection he/she must be registered and wait for two years. After two years, you pay the required amount with receipt to the government and again wait for six month or more because they will tell you that there is no wooden pole or cable or meter. Then they will contact you through their broker to pay them 12,000--15,000 Birr for business facilitation which they says the technicians and the top boss will share. Without this illegal payment keep waiting forever, but you will not get electric connection. Is there some one or body of management managing EELPA? Is it government institution or a Mafia Organization. It is not a service provider office, but the office of organized criminals and robbers. Where is the so called Anti- Corruption? Where is the so called the office of Ombudsman? Where is the Security, police or other Government institutions?

Particularly the employees of EELPA's Southern Addis Ababa Branch which covers Lafto and Lebu are robbing the people because ther are many new houses in this part of the city which need electric power connection. The Manager of the Lebu-Lafto Branch of EELPA Addis Ababa dispatched his staff to rob the people and bring him the loots. Is EELPA head office or higher office aware of what this tall guy is doing and what the staff in that office doing?

Masud
Member+

Re: Corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA)

Post by Masud » 14 Mar 2019, 15:06

The Woyane Queen "Engineer" Azeb Asnake was gone, who is head of EELPA now and taking his/her share from the booty? Who is the tall man?

Ethoash

Post by Ethoash » 15 Mar 2019, 02:10

Damte wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 13:12
The degree of corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA) is extremely shocking.
dear Damte,

if u building four million birr house what is 12,000 birr to connect the power ... look if u rent your house you can ear that much in just 15 days or one month .

go to any USA govt office and u tell them u need your passport rush, they will tell u must pay express service fee and they will rush your passport ... the same way if this employee doesnt take bribe and supply everyone power then it might take 6 month to reach to your tern .. by that time u would have lost 120.000 birr to 240,000 birr ... then why not pay up and get the service faster .. the guy who take the bribe also have family and he want to be house owner one day like u what is the point of working for EELPA for next 44 years and live in poverty and die in poverty .. if this employee come out of Ethiopia and went to Western nation they could earn 1000 time more what they were earning in Ethiopia so we going to lose skill employee if u keep the slavery law.

Damte

Post by Damte » 17 Mar 2019, 11:22

Dear Ethoash,
You advise make sense to some extent. It also has some business idea and how to get profit from your investment, in this case from the money you paid for bribe. However, please consider this points:

1. Assume also that an employee who get limited monthly income. I live on budget and I don't have plenty of money to pay 12,000 Birr or more extra to get power connection, after paying 4,000 Birr for government. Are you advising me to pay 16,000 Birr for a service I am supposed to get with only 4,000? Is this fair and ethical?

2. These corrupt EELPA employees turned public office to a private shop to make make money or they became parallel government to set their own rate to give the service tey are hired to provide. The Government hired them to provide a service of connecting one electric meter with only 4,000 Birr, but they created artificial shortage and connect one Electric meter at the cost of 16,000 at a minimum where 4,000 go to the government and 12,000 go into their pocket. If every government employee involved in such kind of illegal activity, how the community can survive? Do you support converting government office to private shop to make money for individual benefit?

3. Your argument implies that you are in support of corruption. Corruption is like robbing your money with force because they will tell you that unless you do this you can get this and what they ask you to do is illegal payment. Do you really support corruption?

4. These EELPA employees are doing such corruption through network, and everyone knows that. If that is the case why not government officially legalize these corruptions that we know the bottom-line?

Ethoash

Post by Ethoash » 17 Mar 2019, 11:52

Damte

i am expert economist who have no match in this world.. in short, yes, i support corruption. i will tell u two stories.. in USA ONE time they ban drinking alcohol guess what the black market for alcohol skyrocketed then the prohibition ended alcohol price stabilized, u can apply in any number of prohibition goods and service such as sex industry, drug all backfire when u ban them ... my point is corruption exist because the skill workers r not getting paid the market price ... u can replace the skilled worker with an angle in few days the angle will start asking bribe, so to fix the corruption u have to pay the worker a fair price i think if the government charge everyone 8,000 birr instead of 4000 birr and give 4,000 birr for the skilled worker as salary all the problem would have been solved but the government keep the price artificially low at the cost of the skilled worker ... now u might say u have no 8,000 birr no problem u pay 5000 birr and the rest will be paid in installment for next 10 years

money motivates the EELPA CEO and workers if the EELPA know when they increased the EELPA earning they will get a cut they will work 24 hours... but they have zero incentive now for working harder...hence they dont care if u got power or not they still get paid for working the least amount of work.. so paying them is the most motivation factor instead of hating them

now, if they know they will get the cut from EELPA profit they will find many other way to make money one simple idea is everyone in Ethiopia እንጅራ ይጋግራል፣ ወጥም ለማብስል ወይ ጋዝ ወይ ከስል ይጠቀማሉ/ ታድያ ችግሩ የድጅታል ምጣድ መግዣው ወድ መሆኑ ነው። ኤልፓ የድጅታል ምጣድ በዚሮ ቀብድ በየወሩ ይሚከፍሉት ክፍያ ዘዴ ብያዘጋጅ ምን ያህል ለጋዝ ለከስል የሚወጣው ገንዘብ ለኤልፖ ገቢ ይሆን ነበር

ይህ ብቻም አይደለም በኤሌትሪክ የሚነዳ ርክሾ (ባለሶስት ጎማ የሞተር ጋሪ)ቢያበረታቱና ድርጅቱን የመነሻ ካፒታል ቢስጡ ያ ሁሉ ርክሾ በኤሌትሪክ ሲጠቀም የሚያስገባውን ገንዘብ አስብ። ታድያ ስራተኛው መስረቅ የለበትም በሕግ ገንዘቡን በስራበት ልክ ቢያገኝ። ሌልም ብዙ ዘዴ አለ የኤልፓን ገቢ ለማሳደግ ተዝርዝሮ አያልቅም። ለግዜው ይህ ይበቃል።

አሁን ባለበት ግን ፩፪ ሺህ መክፈል ከቻልክ ከፍለህ ኤልትሪክህን አስገባ ። ይህ ያስገባልህ ስው ለዘላለም የአንተ የኤልትሪክ ጠጋኝ ይሆንልሃል ችግር ባለ ቁጥር እሱን ትጠራለህ ወይም ሌላ ሰው ኤሌትሪክ ለማስገባት ሲፈልግ ትጠረዎለህ ይህ የረዝም ግዜ ግንኙነት ነው። ይህን ሲያውቁ የኤልፓ ስራተኞች ዎጋቸውን ይቀንሳሉ። አሁን ግን በልቼ ልሙት ነው ከተያዝኩም ደህና አርህጌ በልቼ ልያዝ ነው ነገሩ ለዥህ ነው ጉቦው የተወደደው። እንጂ ስራተኛው ለዘላላም ግቦ እየጠቀበለ እንደሚኖር ካወቀ ጉቦው ይህን ያህል አይወደድም ነበር። እሁን ግን ጎቦ ሲቀበል ቢገኝ ቅጣቱ በጣም የከፋ ስለሆነ በ፻ ብር ጎቦ መያዝን አይፈልግም ለዥህም ነው ጉቦው የተወደደው።

እንዳልኩህ ገንዘብ ከሌለህ ውይም ጉቦ መስጠት ካልፈለግህ ጠብቅ ግዜህን ዓመት ውይ ሁለት ዓመት ይፈጃል እንጂ መብራትህን ታገኛለህ።

DefendTheTruth

Post by DefendTheTruth » 17 Mar 2019, 14:25

Damte wrote:
The degree of corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA) is extremely shocking. If someone wants to have electric power connection he/she must be registered and wait for two years. After two years, you pay the required amount with receipt to the government and again wait for six month or more because they will tell you that there is no wooden pole or cable or meter. Then they will contact you through their broker to pay them 12,000--15,000 Birr for business facilitation which they says the technicians and the top boss will share. Without this illegal payment keep waiting forever, but you will not get electric connection. Is there some one or body of management managing EELPA? Is it government institution or a Mafia Organization. It is not a service provider office, but the office of organized criminals and robbers. Where is the so called Anti- Corruption? Where is the so called the office of Ombudsman? Where is the Security, police or other Government institutions?

Particularly the employees of EELPA's Southern Addis Ababa Branch which covers Lafto and Lebu are robbing the people because ther are many new houses in this part of the city which need electric power connection. The Manager of the Lebu-Lafto Branch of EELPA Addis Ababa dispatched his staff to rob the people and bring him the loots. Is EELPA head office or higher office aware of what this tall guy is doing and what the staff in that office doing?

If the government takes a measure against illegal acts, then there are a lot of so called "activists" claiming about government clamp down on the poor, if the government didn't take a measure, then there are those who will come out and demand where is the government?

How is suppossed this or any other government to fulfil its duties actually?

I understand your complain here, but did you express your view with the current on-going massive malecious campaign against the government, which is accused of ethnic cleansing and genocide?

Ethoash

Post by Ethoash » 17 Mar 2019, 14:56

DefendTheTruth wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 14:25
Damte wrote:
The degree of corruption in Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA) is extremely shocking. If someone wants to have electric power connection he/she must be registered and wait for two years.
If the government takes a measure against illegal acts, then there are a lot of so called "activists" claiming about government clamp down on the poor, if the government didn't take a measure, then there are those who will come out and demand where is the government?

How is suppossed this or any other government to fulfil its duties actually?

I understand your complain here, but did you express your view with the current on-going massive malecious campaign against the government, which is accused of ethnic cleansing and genocide?

DDT,

U MAKE ME LAUGH again... for sure in EELPA there are more Amhara then any other ethnic hence if the government fire those Amhara based on corruption they will cry look the oromo government try to replace the Amhara with oromo ... yes u can win but their is always a solution here is where i come ... to solve corruption u need economist not politician...

corruption is a symptoms you dont cure the symptoms u cure the cause... the cause is low salary, no motivation, no competition, granted employment almost zero risk of getting fired.

to solve the corruption problem we have to semi privatization EELPA . i give u two example Pepsi company have small distribution agent that distribute the soft drink ... another one is transportation mister have also semi privatized their service for example if u want to learn driving their are agent that trained u and papered u for driving test the same way EELPA could semi privatized their service ... for example the guy who connect your power to EELPA COULD be a private business agent that have license from EELPA or former workers there ... the private installer might have set price and they will compete for your business this way they will hire more people and trained them and they will finished the job as soon as possible to go to next job ..this agent since they have number you can call and compliant to EELPA and it is easy for EELPA to fire them because they dont work for them they r independent workers

as i said there are million way of making EELPA efficient we should not only looking to everyone in poverty... by insisting they should live in their 2000 birr salary.. ask yourself if u r highly skill worker in EELPA every real estate developer need u to work with them and they will take you fROM EELPA . AND EELPA WILL BE LEFT with low iq workers who have no market value to do havoc on public time and money

Damte

Post by Damte » Yesterday, 12:20

Dear Ethoash,
Thank you for your advise. It seems that you are an expert in corruption as you said. You must be EELPA's Board Chairman or member. I don't mind if EELPA increase the price and pay more for its employee as you argued. However, these greedy corrupt individuals do not know the limit and never say this is sufficient. EELPA, Ethiopian Airlines, Ethiopian Commercial Bank, Tele , and Shipping Lines are well paying organizations, their employees are corrupt. You know the judges are very well paid in Ethiopia but very corrupt who sell justice for money? My decision is not to cooperate with these corrupt EELPA employees, but to fight corruption. I will work with police and set up a trap at least for one even though the whole organization is spoiled. I ask everyone to set up a trap and catch them one by one until government wake up from its sleep and save us or sell EELPA to private and privatize it.

Ethoash

Post by Ethoash » Yesterday, 12:58

Damte wrote:
Yesterday, 12:20
Dear Ethoash,
Thank you for your advise. It seems that you are an expert in corruption as you said. You must be EELPA's Board Chairman or member. I don't mind if EELPA increase the price and pay more for its employee as you argued. However, these greedy corrupt individuals do not know the limit and never say this is sufficient. EELPA,
Damte,

u make me laugh..

once i went to dentist near me and i told him have eyes problem .. the dentist told me i should go to eye doctor because he himself also looking to see eye doctor for his eye hence i should do the same ...

so if u r not expert in economy why u thing u can solve the corruption problem ... i told u i am highly gifted when it come to economy i have no match i can create the whole economy model if need be... so when i told u something u should try to understand it first before በአሽሙር ከምታወራ

ደርግ tried to stop corruption by killing them, nothing will stop corruption if you did not stop the root cause ... let take ur example u going to tell the police u have hidden camera that exposed EELPA employee, the police will take your video and sale it to higher bidder, even if u pass this one the judge will be corrupted even if u pass this stage he will be released when thing cool down .. the point is the more you exposed EEELPA .. workers they will stop working for EELPA they r very highly skilled workers they just go to private condominium constriction company and get a job there that means EELP WILL HAVE left with unskilled labor..

my point is why would u care if the EELPA workers got million as long as u got your power .. Ethiopia only have hydro cover 45% to 55% i know they r lying it might be 4% uninterrupted power

watch this video the EELPA GUY telling u what i was telling semi privatization at the end of discussion it worth to hear it the whole video

#EBC 2017 ሀገራዊ የገጠር የኤሌክትሪከ አገልግሎት ተደራሽነት

if u have few minute i forwarded it for u to listen this part alone .. if u have watch both part 1 and two if not just watch this one minute higher thinking

what the Dr. Arega Yirdaw, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) MIDROC Technology Group saying he was saying he preferred to pay import tax as long as the goods imported if he received them faster and he will make the money what the incentive give him ... that mean istead of waiting five month to save 150,000 birr he would prefere to pay 150,000 birr and get the product and work five month and make 250,000 birr profit instead minus headache

በተረፈ እነብብ እንደገና እንዴት ግቦን ለማስቀረት የምንችልበትን መንገድ። ከላይ እንደዘረዘርኩት። by the way CEO have no limited income he could make billion birr if he make the profit ... so if EELPA ceo know he will get 1% or 2% of what he make profit for hydro he would have worked day and night and computerized the task and just look the private bank soon they will out preformed our national bank... the same way when u pay the ceo billion or 100 million legally how in earth he will ask 100,000 or 12000 bribe and lose his 100 million birr income ... dont tell me the poor employee ask u 12,000 birr not the ceo no the ceo have a cut from that bribe ..