Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Cowboy Humera

Re: What Kind of Political Ideology Do We Need? LIBERAL NATIONALISM. (Medemer = Liberal Ethiopianism)

Post by Cowboy Humera » 12 Jan 2019, 16:41

Revolutionary Democracy (አብዮታዊ ዲሞክራሲ) with a little dose of Albanian communist ideology had served Ethiopia very well during the last 27 golden years of good governance, prosperity, peace and stability. In my humble opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Like our great visionary leader Meles Zenawi aka ”ውበት ካይናቸው ሽፋን የፈለቀላቸው ሊቅ ሰው!" said, "Bonapartism never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a Bonapartism yet that did not commit suicide."

ይቀጥል... ይቀጥል... ይቀጥል .... አብዮታዊ ዲሞክራሲ.... ኧረ እሱ ይምራን....

Sam Ebalalehu

Re: What Kind of Political Ideology Do We Need? LIBERAL NATIONALISM. (Medemer = Liberal Ethiopianism)

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 12 Jan 2019, 16:50

Horus, your points are well-taken. You seem to read well the EPDRF’s big shot thinking. You just however left it there. I be more generous. I introduce them to Vasily Grossman thought-provoking five sentences.
“ Human groupings have one main purpose: to assert everyone’s right to be different, to be special, to think, feel and live in his or her own way. People join together in order to win or defend this right. But this is where a terrible, fateful error is born : the belief that these groupings in the name of a race, a God, a party or a state are the very purpose of life and not simply a means to an end. No ! The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and in his right to those peculiarities.”

sun

Post by sun » 12 Jan 2019, 17:50

Horus wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 00:59
I.
It seems now that the Ethiopian political elites or class has in principle accepted the wisdom of organizing around 3-4 large and effective parties. Parties are necessary organization that articulate political processes and formulate policies that guide a government. Following the general acceptance of a few large nation-wide parties, the next issue has become the ideologies on these parties are formed.

Currently, 3 'political ideologies' are identified as possible organizing principles or theories - liberal democratic, social-democratic & revolutionary democratic 'ideologies'. There is no such an ideology known as 'revolutionary democracy'. This a Marxist-Leninist-Stalinist Maoist ideology and has nothing to do with democracy. Revolutionary democracy is actually radical or Marxian authoritarianism or dictatorship of one party or dictatorship of one group or one so-called class - be it the peasantry, working class or the petite-bourgeoisie. This is a rejected ideology and it is used by tribal nationalism because ethnic identity politics has no ideology or philosophy of its own. It is now the carrier of the defunct authoritarian and fascistic ideologies in our society.

II.
In my view, we are left with 2 closely related democratic ideologies- liberal and social democratic. In fact social democracy is founded on liberal principles of liberty (freedom) and equality and extends the principle of justice into social, economic cultural spheres. My purpose here is not to talk about the distinction or similarity or evaluation of these 2 ideologies.

Rather I want to talk about these ideologies in the Ethiopian context. At the very core of a political ideology we have our beliefs and vaues on how our society and political system should be organized and managed. Hence, the first requirement is to define our national agena, our goals and stratgies.

III.
This is the Ethiopian Agenda: We want a united, stable, & strong nation (state/country). We want a free, democratic & just Ethiopian society.We want a prosperous, educated & healthy Ethiopian people. We want a creative, ecologically balanced, & spiritually (morally) grounded culture.

IV.
Our next task is to ask: What kind of organizing principle, what kind of political system, what kind of institutions ensure the achievement of the above national agenda? In other words, our national agenda is our criteria of selection for the type ideology.

There are 100s of related political ideas and more articulated political ideologies in this world. But Ethiopia is unigue nation with its own unique existence. In other words, the most precisely and immediate ideology must use is Ethiopianism. Ethiopianism is nationalism, it is the ideology of Ethiopian nationalism. But Ethiopianism by iitself is cannot be a complete poliitcal philosophy and political ideology. Hence...

We choose Liberalism- the principle of free individual, individual rights, liberty, equality, tolerance and civility. This particular political ideology is known as Liberal Nationalism or Civic Nationalism. As we speak, these is a new party in the process of forming by AG7, Blue, Unity, EDP and others on the principle of citizenship or civic principles. These same new party holds as its core value the unity of the Ethiopian nation.

In short, the precise politcal ideology that guide this party is alled Liberal Nationaism (Liberla Ethiopianism). As I said this ideology is also called Civic Nationaism. It is simply a combination of Liberal Democracy with Ethiopian Nationalism.

I will link longer articles for you deeper reading. But for a lot students of politics it shuld not be new.

V.
The opposite of Liberal nationalism is ethnic or tribal nationalism about which we know a lot. And, one can examine that ethnic nationalism has no political principles or ideology. It does not say whether it is liberal, marxist or fascist. This is why EPRDF really has no ideology and has political theory or political philosphy. It simply organizes people based on identity and tries to apply concept that have nothing to do with identity or culture or history.

Now you know why is a pure chaos and crisis. I have always said that tribaism was not a poliitcal concept or a poliitcal category.
Really? :P

You are good at manufacturing senseless and endless jargons through your habitual high sounding phrase mongering exercises of no value.

Tribalism may or may not be a political concept for you but yet it can create and or construct political ideologies and concepts for the governance and leaderships of communities and societies.

I am tired of educating you without any pay but yet I need to tell you that there is no such thing as "The Ethiopian Nation" but only The Ethiopian State. And the Ethiopian State is composed of multiple nations and nationalities. That is why Ethiopia is known as a Multinational state and or commonly known as a museum of nations and nationalities. I am telling you this simple reality so that you may not stay detached from the realities on the ground and live in the la.. la.. land of daydreamers. What we need is acknowledge and celebrate all of our diverse nations and nationalities and then come together in unity within diversity in order to acknowledge our togetherness and unity as the Ethiopian State, OUR COMMON GARDEN OF EDEN.
:P

Horus

Post by Horus » 12 Jan 2019, 19:59

Sam Ebalalehu wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 16:50
Horus, your points are well-taken. You seem to read well the EPDRF’s big shot thinking. You just however left it there. I be more generous. I introduce them to Vasily Grossman thought-provoking five sentences.
“ Human groupings have one main purpose: to assert everyone’s right to be different, to be special, to think, feel and live in his or her own way. People join together in order to win or defend this right. But this is where a terrible, fateful error is born : the belief that these groupings in the name of a race, a God, a party or a state are the very purpose of life and not simply a means to an end. No ! The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and in his right to those peculiarities.”
Indeed, thank you Sam ! I will add my own grasp of Grossman in a while.

Horus

Post by Horus » 12 Jan 2019, 20:05

sun,

This is Horus, remember! Forget your defunct national question. There is a nation called Ethiopia !!!

Horus

Post by Horus » 13 Jan 2019, 14:43

A good ideology is good guide. Liberal Ethiopianism is an ideology of united, stable, strong, democratic, free, just, prosperous and developed Ethiopia. When you see the Ethiopian political world with the aid this ideology most current events become clear.

Consider the bombing of OLF bandits. As I have argued for 30 years, the final outcome of tribalism is division, violence, conflict, wars and finally banditry and terrorism. Consider this shameful end of OLF tribalism. We are witness the continued bankruptcy and disintegration tribalism and the rise of a LIBERAL ETHIOPIAN NATIONALISM - FREE JUST DEMOCRACTIC INCLUSIVE TOLERANT ETHIOPIAN NATION !!!

Yebo Kair !

Horus

Post by Horus » 13 Jan 2019, 21:27

TRIBALISM IS ANARCHY.

TRIBALISM IS CHAOS.

TRIBAISM IS DISORDER.

TRIBALISM IS VIOLENCE.

TRIBALISM IS WAR.

THE SOLUTION IS LIBERAL NATIONALISM.

THE SOLUTION IS LIBERAL ETHIOPIANISM.

Horus

Post by Horus » 16 Jan 2019, 01:51

Listen to this man and you will know where Ethiopia is going. Here is the foundation of Ethiopian Kosmos.

Horus

Post by Horus » 17 Jan 2019, 01:51

The Tribal Chaos and Ethiopian Kosmos facing each other man- a- mano… the people are realizing that this cancer needs to called by its true name... REJECT TRIBALISM … UPHOLD ETHIOPIANISM !!!