Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Sadacha Macca
Member+
Posts: 9230
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Sadacha Macca » 09 Jan 2019, 19:02

7 were reportedly killed and 15 injured
Deputy Chief of Staff of the ENDF denied the involvement of the defence forces
Towns on West Gondar Zone on border with Sudan are on edge after Ethiopian defence forces (ENDF) shot and killed 7 people and injured 15 others Tuesday, according to multiple sources. The deaths occurred in the towns of Gende Wuha and Kokit, about 20 kms ad 40kms of Metema respectively. Western Gondar zone deputy administrator Adebabay Mulugeta confirmed about the incident and deaths, without giving an exact figure of dead or injured. Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of the Gende Wuha this morning to express their anger, some asking the defence forces to leave the area, according to Deutsche Welle Amharic radio.

Adebabay described how the attack began. “A road construction company by the name Sur was moving vehicles and other properties to Armachoho woreda. Residents who were convinced that the Company is responsible for the instability in the region demanded the vehicles should be inspected before leaving the area,” he said. A meeting was held between defence forces, zone administrators and representative of the community to resolve the stand-off and a sudden decision to let vehicles pass before the conclusion of the meeting provoked anger, causing fire exchanges between the army and some residents, he said. Witnesses who talked to DW gave a different account, saying the armed security forces began shooting residents in the streets, killing and injuring innocent people, including a seven-year-old girl. One of the victims was returning from a day’s agricultural work, one witness was quoted as saying.

Ethiopia’s Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Defense Force, General Birhanu Jula denied the involvement of the defence forces in the killing, rather pointing gingers at the armed groups in the area for opening fire on defence force members who were escorting the heavy vehicles. “The Defences forces first fired into the air, when the attack persisted, they acted in self-defence. The civilians might have been killed by bullets coming from the armed groups.” He said the incident would be investigated, in an interview with VOA Amharic.

The wounded people were taken to Metema Referral hospital. At least three people remain in a critical condition.

Head of the Amhara Regional State Communication Affairs Office, Asemahagn Aseres Bantie expressed condolences to the families and said this should have been resolved peacefully. He said the incident was being investigated and those responsible would be held accountable.

Yared Hailemariam, the executive director of the Swiss-based Association for Human Rights in Ethiopia, criticized the government’s security response, asking how come the forces in Amhara region acted so fast brutally while showing unusual patience in Oromia region when OLF, armed to the teeth, has been terrorising, killing, raping and stealing civilians. Those who carried out the killings and those who ordered should be brought to justice, he wrote on his Facebook page.

Sur Construction, part of the conglomerate that belongs to the Endowment Fund for the Rehabilitation of Tigray (EFFORT) has been accused of transporting arms and fuelling ethnic conflict between Kimant and Amhara people.

https://www.ethiopiaobserver.com/2019/0 ... nd-beyond/

AbebeB
Member
Posts: 2183
Joined: 15 Oct 2016, 10:31

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by AbebeB » 09 Jan 2019, 19:19

Sadacha Macca wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:02
7 were reportedly killed and 15 injured
Deputy Chief of Staff of the ENDF denied the involvement of the defence forces
Ethiopia’s Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Defense Force, General Birhanu Jula denied the involvement of the defence forces in the killing, rather pointing gingers at the armed groups in the area for opening fire on defence force members who were escorting the heavy vehicles. “The Defences forces first fired into the air, when the attack persisted, they acted in self-defence. The civilians might have been killed by bullets coming from the armed groups.” He said the incident would be investigated, in an interview with VOA Amharic.
So why ESAT journalists desperately shout as if military made civil murder? Is it because their are habituated to lie, rude approach, shout and conspiracy?

Mahlana
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 25 Jan 2018, 08:33

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Mahlana » 09 Jan 2019, 19:57

Sadacha Macca wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:02
7 were reportedly killed and 15 injured
Deputy Chief of Staff of the ENDF denied the involvement of the defence forces
Towns on West Gondar Zone on border with Sudan are on edge after Ethiopian defence forces (ENDF) shot and killed 7 people and injured 15 others Tuesday, according to multiple sources. The deaths occurred in the towns of Gende Wuha and Kokit, about 20 kms ad 40kms of Metema respectively. Western Gondar zone deputy administrator Adebabay Mulugeta confirmed about the incident and deaths, without giving an exact figure of dead or injured. Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of the Gende Wuha this morning to express their anger, some asking the defence forces to leave the area, according to Deutsche Welle Amharic radio.

Adebabay described how the attack began. “A road construction company by the name Sur was moving vehicles and other properties to Armachoho woreda. Residents who were convinced that the Company is responsible for the instability in the region demanded the vehicles should be inspected before leaving the area,” he said. A meeting was held between defence forces, zone administrators and representative of the community to resolve the stand-off and a sudden decision to let vehicles pass before the conclusion of the meeting provoked anger, causing fire exchanges between the army and some residents, he said. Witnesses who talked to DW gave a different account, saying the armed security forces began shooting residents in the streets, killing and injuring innocent people, including a seven-year-old girl. One of the victims was returning from a day’s agricultural work, one witness was quoted as saying.

Ethiopia’s Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Defense Force, General Birhanu Jula denied the involvement of the defence forces in the killing, rather pointing gingers at the armed groups in the area for opening fire on defence force members who were escorting the heavy vehicles. “The Defences forces first fired into the air, when the attack persisted, they acted in self-defence. The civilians might have been killed by bullets coming from the armed groups.” He said the incident would be investigated, in an interview with VOA Amharic.

The wounded people were taken to Metema Referral hospital. At least three people remain in a critical condition.

Head of the Amhara Regional State Communication Affairs Office, Asemahagn Aseres Bantie expressed condolences to the families and said this should have been resolved peacefully. He said the incident was being investigated and those responsible would be held accountable.

Yared Hailemariam, the executive director of the Swiss-based Association for Human Rights in Ethiopia, criticized the government’s security response, asking how come the forces in Amhara region acted so fast brutally while showing unusual patience in Oromia region when OLF, armed to the teeth, has been terrorising, killing, raping and stealing civilians. Those who carried out the killings and those who ordered should be brought to justice, he wrote on his Facebook page.

Sur Construction, part of the conglomerate that belongs to the Endowment Fund for the Rehabilitation of Tigray (EFFORT) has been accused of transporting arms and fuelling ethnic conflict between Kimant and Amhara people.

https://www.ethiopiaobserver.com/2019/0 ... nd-beyond/
WTF!!!!
Is he an executive director of Human rights in Ethiopia? Or in Amhara?

info
Member
Posts: 2663
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 11:33

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by info » 09 Jan 2019, 20:37

Sad that civilians were killed but good that the people still managed to block the vehicles even after the killing. Here is the VOA report on the story. I highly sense a TPLF involvement.


Sadacha Macca
Member+
Posts: 9230
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Sadacha Macca » 09 Jan 2019, 20:41

info wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 20:37
Sad that civilians were killed but good that the people still managed to block the vehicles even after the killing. Here is the VOA report on the story. I highly sense a TPLF involvement.

of course-tplf elements are probably still somewhat prominent/active in the army, which makes sense, since it took 20+ years to build up their presence there, so it'll take some time to cut them down to their rightful 6-8% size!

Sadacha Macca
Member+
Posts: 9230
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 16:46

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Sadacha Macca » 09 Jan 2019, 20:45

Mahlana wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:57
Sadacha Macca wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:02
7 were reportedly killed and 15 injured
Deputy Chief of Staff of the ENDF denied the involvement of the defence forces
Towns on West Gondar Zone on border with Sudan are on edge after Ethiopian defence forces (ENDF) shot and killed 7 people and injured 15 others Tuesday, according to multiple sources. The deaths occurred in the towns of Gende Wuha and Kokit, about 20 kms ad 40kms of Metema respectively. Western Gondar zone deputy administrator Adebabay Mulugeta confirmed about the incident and deaths, without giving an exact figure of dead or injured. Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of the Gende Wuha this morning to express their anger, some asking the defence forces to leave the area, according to Deutsche Welle Amharic radio.

Adebabay described how the attack began. “A road construction company by the name Sur was moving vehicles and other properties to Armachoho woreda. Residents who were convinced that the Company is responsible for the instability in the region demanded the vehicles should be inspected before leaving the area,” he said. A meeting was held between defence forces, zone administrators and representative of the community to resolve the stand-off and a sudden decision to let vehicles pass before the conclusion of the meeting provoked anger, causing fire exchanges between the army and some residents, he said. Witnesses who talked to DW gave a different account, saying the armed security forces began shooting residents in the streets, killing and injuring innocent people, including a seven-year-old girl. One of the victims was returning from a day’s agricultural work, one witness was quoted as saying.

Ethiopia’s Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Defense Force, General Birhanu Jula denied the involvement of the defence forces in the killing, rather pointing gingers at the armed groups in the area for opening fire on defence force members who were escorting the heavy vehicles. “The Defences forces first fired into the air, when the attack persisted, they acted in self-defence. The civilians might have been killed by bullets coming from the armed groups.” He said the incident would be investigated, in an interview with VOA Amharic.

The wounded people were taken to Metema Referral hospital. At least three people remain in a critical condition.

Head of the Amhara Regional State Communication Affairs Office, Asemahagn Aseres Bantie expressed condolences to the families and said this should have been resolved peacefully. He said the incident was being investigated and those responsible would be held accountable.

Yared Hailemariam, the executive director of the Swiss-based Association for Human Rights in Ethiopia, criticized the government’s security response, asking how come the forces in Amhara region acted so fast brutally while showing unusual patience in Oromia region when OLF, armed to the teeth, has been terrorising, killing, raping and stealing civilians. Those who carried out the killings and those who ordered should be brought to justice, he wrote on his Facebook page.

Sur Construction, part of the conglomerate that belongs to the Endowment Fund for the Rehabilitation of Tigray (EFFORT) has been accused of transporting arms and fuelling ethnic conflict between Kimant and Amhara people.

https://www.ethiopiaobserver.com/2019/0 ... nd-beyond/
WTF!!!!
Is he an executive director of Human rights in Ethiopia? Or in Amhara?

not sure but,
i think he is also exaggerating about the OLF, as well, what proof does he have for the claims he made?
he is just repeating the propaganda fed to him and others, about the OLF.

Portlandia
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: 31 May 2016, 08:56

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Portlandia » 09 Jan 2019, 21:05

If you want Ethiopians to stop backing Abiy then olf should invade addis, simply posting online to change public opinion is not going to do.

mollamo
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 12:22

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by mollamo » 09 Jan 2019, 22:20

The Tigrai General will be accountable soon for this killing

Za-Ilmaknun
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: 15 Jun 2018, 17:40

Re: Amhara and All ethiopians angered by the killings in metema

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 09 Jan 2019, 23:08

I predict this will have a far reaching consequences. The ironey of deploying lethal force when dealing with poor amhara civilians while bending over for militant Tigrai confrontation speaks louder about the state of affairs in the country. It has become now very normal to kill, uproot and displace amhara people for no credible reason. Perhaps shouldering the responsibility of keeping the country as one polity is the sin that pro Ethiopias are paying for. However, that critical point is just about approaching when people have to start shifting the whole paradigm. Enough is enough !!

Post Reply