Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Risa
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: 14 Oct 2014, 11:27

Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Risa » 08 Jan 2019, 23:04

According to the online Cambridge Dictionary, ideology is “a theory or set of beliefs, especially one on which a political system, party, or organization is based”. The term ‘ideology’ was coined in 1796 by the French philosopher Destutt de Tracy (1754–1836) to refer to a new ‘science of ideas’ (idea-ology). However, a popular meaning was assigned to the term in the writings of Karl Marx who defined ideology as the ideas of the ‘ruling class’ or the ruling ideas/ the dominant ideas at a given time. Political ideology provides politicians, political parties, and other political actors with an intellectual power to justify what they are saying and doing as well as their world view. In short, political ideology is interrelated set of ideas that guides or inspires political action. An ideology may be challenged by alternative ideologies.

There are various ideologies including Communism, Fascism, and Nazism, but in this article, I will discuss only three political ideologies: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, and Liberal Democracy.

Read More here: https://kichuu.com/choice-of-ideologies ... democracy/

Horus
Senior Member
Posts: 11519
Joined: 19 Oct 2013, 19:34

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Horus » 09 Jan 2019, 01:40

Risa,

The very idea of talking about ideology is a good thing. Asefa Alemu should be encouraged. But he very shallow and merely definitional. The topic is very serious. Choice of ideology means, asking how do individuals, parties, organizations, states or social systems select a particular idea which they want to guided by. This is a light question.


Assefa never tried to answer or even ask the most critical question: what are the available criteria on which we based our selection of this ideology from that ideology? Is ideology a belief? Is it a philosophy of life? Is it a science of society? Or is it a strategy - a way and means of doing politics or sociology? Or is it simply an algorithm of action? A description of steps for performing an act?


In order to answer these questions, one has to have a position, a place to stand? Who is talking? Why? Ideology is not some kind of wild fruit one goes out and picks at will. ideology comes from the desires, needs, wants and motives - in short from the purpose of the speaker. Who is seeking ideology? Why?


When a tribe wants ideology, it different from a working class seeks ideology? We are told that social democratic ideology serves a communitarian group? so, who is the community? What is the purpose of that community? We are told that tribes needs revolutionary ideology? Why? why do tribs need a socialist ideology but not a community?


So, this whole way of talking about ideology is totally stupid. It is the talk of uneducated folks trying to create somethnig.


This particular Assefa already concludes Liberal democratic ideology to be inapplicable to Ethiopia. I say stupid. This person has not read a single book on what 'liber; means, what a free person means? where the idea of sew, human or individual comes from?


No, any political party be it tribal or humanist can never talk about freedom and democracy without believing in liberty, ie Freedom. Social justice only to mitigate extreme individualist concept and practices.


In fact, it is the case that Ethiopia will take many years to have the resources to operate a Nordic type Welfare state. Ethiopia is poor. Poor people need freedom first and self-drive and self-sufficiency. Then Liberal society neglects certain persons and groups in terms of economic and social equality and that is when social justice comes in. But alllllllll the timmme society is founded on LIBERALISM - IE LIBERTY -IE FREEDOM OF THE PERSON -- IE THE SOVERIGNTY AND SUPREMCY OF THE FREE INDIVIDUAL ….


I HOPE SOME ONE FROM AG7 OR BLUE RESPOND TO THIS KIND OF ARTICLE...


EXCUSE FOR TYPOS …
Last edited by Horus on 09 Jan 2019, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

Telomerase
Member
Posts: 721
Joined: 19 Jun 2018, 00:53

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Telomerase » 09 Jan 2019, 04:35

An advice from a neighbor,

Liberal Democracy is the only choice, otherwise Ethiopia will end up in none ending political turmoil.

Risa
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: 14 Oct 2014, 11:27

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Risa » 09 Jan 2019, 11:06

Horus,
While scanning websites for news, I came across this article and thought it worth sharing because it is relevant, but I didn't evaluate the the article. Therefore, I am not the right person to respond to your questions.

Masud
Member+
Posts: 5657
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Masud » 09 Jan 2019, 13:18

Horus,
Your comments are not entirely bad. However, it seems that you are looking for the manual which can help you to chose ideologies by providing you step by step procedures or a text book to educate you on ideologies starting from zero. I don't think that is the intention of the writer. Even though I wish, the writer address all or most of the questions you raised, I understand providing comprehensive inform in this short article is not feasible. Your weakness is your failure to understand this fact.

We know that Liberal Democracy is a popular ideology, but that doesn't make it to fit all situation in every country. The tone of your post looks like that you are mad at the writer and called him "stupid" who doesn't read a single book on liberal democracy. Do yo know him? I assume the reason that made you lose your rational thinking is his point on AG7. He told you that AG7 that claim to be the promoter of Liberal Democracy now turned to be the follower of Social Democracy and he used Epherem Madebo who is the Foreign Relation Officer of AG7 as reference. Therefore, if you need to be mad, you must be mad at your organization, AG7, that cheated its members and supporters.

You also called for help from AG7 to challenge the idea of the writer, but I don't think AG7 respond to your desperate call for help. Thus the option you have is to leave AG7 that betrayed you and establish your own Ginbot 8 to implement liberal or neo-liberal ideology.

Your argument which says liberty and freedom will be respected only under liberal democracy doesn't hold water because the experience of western European countries disprove your claim. To your dismay the article is becoming point of discussion on various websites. Now you got the point to accuse the writer as Woyane. http://www.aigaforum.com/article2019/Ch ... eology.htm
Horus wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 01:40
Risa,

The very idea of talking about ideology is a good thing. Asefa Alemu should be encouraged. But he very shallow and merely definitional. The topic is very serious. Choice of ideology means, asking how do individuals, parties, organizations, states or social systems select a particular idea which they want to guided by. This is a light question.


Assefa never tried to answer or even ask the most critical question: what are the available criteria on which we based our selection of this ideology from that ideology? Is ideology a belief? Is it a philosophy of life? Is it a science of society? Or is it a strategy - a way and means of doing politics or sociology? Or is it simply an algorithm of action? A description of steps for performing an act?


In order to answer these questions, one has to have a position, a place to stand? Who is talking? Why? Ideology is not some kind of wild fruit one goes out and picks at will. ideology comes from the desires, needs, wants and motives - in short from the purpose of the speaker. Who is seeking ideology? Why?


When a tribe wants ideology, it different from a working class seeks ideology? We are told that social democratic ideology serves a communitarian group? so, who is the community? What is the purpose of that community? We are told that tribes needs revolutionary ideology? Why? why do tribs need a socialist ideology but not a community?


So, this whole way of talking about ideology is totally stupid. It is the talk of uneducated folks trying to create somethnig.


This particular Assefa already concludes Liberal democratic ideology to be inapplicable to Ethiopia. I say stupid. This person has not read a single book on what 'liber; means, what a free person means? where the idea of sew, human or individual comes from?


No, any political party be it tribal or humanist can never talk about freedom and democracy without believing in liberty, ie Freedom. Social justice only to mitigate extreme individualist concept and practices.


In fact, it is the case that Ethiopia will take many years to have the resources to operate a Nordic type Welfare state. Ethiopia is poor. Poor people need freedom first and self-drive and self-sufficiency. Then Liberal society neglects certain persons and groups in terms of economic and social equality and that is when social justice comes in. But alllllllll the timmme society is founded on LIBERALISM - IE LIBERTY -IE FREEDOM OF THE PERSON -- IE THE SOVERIGNTY AND SUPREMCY OF THE FREE INDIVIDUAL ….


I HOPE SOME ONE FROM AG7 OR BLUE RESPOND TO THIS KIND OF ARTICLE...


EXCUSE FOR TYPOS …

Horus
Senior Member
Posts: 11519
Joined: 19 Oct 2013, 19:34

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Horus » 09 Jan 2019, 14:59

masud,

I don't know what you are talking about. I did not call the person stupid. I called the logic stupid. By the way, it was Ermias of ESAT who first proposed these 3 so called ideologies. In my view, there is no such an ideology called revolutionary democracy. That is a stupid concept. This writer put a group ideas together to summarize what Ermias discussed. I said that was a good start. But this is the shallowest basically unenlightening piece.

No, AG7 has not betrayed me or anybody. Berhanu has always argued for liberty and justice. How the new party will articulate these 2 core ideas- political liberalism and social-econmoic socialism or communitarianism will be the intellectual task of the leaders. AG7, Blue and others are true believers of liberty of the individual and free citizenship. Then of course, there are many collective and class issues including functions of institutions such as the state that are taken into consideration.

These are not simply copied from book or held as dogma; they are crafted. So far what is lacking are...

Discussion on political philosophy which refers to a system of political ideas including epistemological, which are logically connected by abstraction.

There is also a lack of clear discussion on political ideology - which refers to a system of political values and beliefs in terms of which perception, understanding, judgement and interpretation of the Ethiopian political world is patterned.

Political ideas come from experience and education - that is from political culture of Ethiopian society and the level of intellectual development of our political elites. Mere naming of an ideology and choosing one at will is what I called stupid. It is more complex and requires huge amount of work.

So, this is not an issue for emotional drama of tribal name calling. If you have the expertise in the field, define your point and argue or simply enjoy the ride. Zim Yale Af zimb ayigebatim.

Masud
Member+
Posts: 5657
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Masud » 09 Jan 2019, 23:16

Horus,
I know you don't believe Madebo and you are waiting to hear the bad news(merdo) ftom your man Dr. Berhanu That is fine. In the first place, I wonder why the Sidama man Madebo joined the Amhara_Guragie Alliance and became a member and spokesperson of AG7. That is not the right organization for him and I understand your contempt to him and what he said. Anyway, for the benefit of other readers, I posted below Mr. Madibo's interview.

Can please bring Ermiyas Legesse's discussion/explanation on those three ideologies. I think I missed that or the information never exists, but you thought it exists. Bring that information if it exist.


Masud
Member+
Posts: 5657
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Masud » 10 Jan 2019, 02:08

Horus,
I am waiting for you to bring Ermiyas' discussion of these three ideologies and share with us. Or else, I will accuse you for lying
. :roll:

Horus wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 14:59
masud,

I don't know what you are talking about. I did not call the person stupid. I called the logic stupid. By the way, it was Ermias of ESAT who first proposed these 3 so called ideologies. In my view, there is no such an ideology called revolutionary democracy. That is a stupid concept. This writer put a group ideas together to summarize what Ermias discussed. I said that was a good start. But this is the shallowest basically unenlightening piece.
..

Damte
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: 03 Apr 2014, 10:20

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Damte » 11 Jan 2019, 00:35

Guys, you hate Revolutionary Democracy simply it was introduced by TPLF or what is your underlining reasons? I didn't see any.

Masud
Member+
Posts: 5657
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Masud » 11 Jan 2019, 02:52

The Liar Fuga Horus failed to support his statement with evidence and officially declared a Liar of a year.
This is the Bufa Horus [email protected] here and there without any concrete evidence and fact! :lol:
:lol:


Masud wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 02:08
Horus,
I am waiting for you to bring Ermiyas' discussion of these three ideologies and share with us. Or else, I will accuse you for lying
. :roll:

Horus wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 14:59
masud,

I don't know what you are talking about. I did not call the person stupid. I called the logic stupid. By the way, it was Ermias of ESAT who first proposed these 3 so called ideologies. In my view, there is no such an ideology called revolutionary democracy. That is a stupid concept. This writer put a group ideas together to summarize what Ermias discussed. I said that was a good start. But this is the shallowest basically unenlightening piece.
..

Risa
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: 14 Oct 2014, 11:27

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Risa » 13 Jan 2019, 15:22

The explanation given on ESAT makes sense.
Masud wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 23:16
Horus,
I know you don't believe Madebo and you are waiting to hear the bad news(merdo) ftom your man Dr. Berhanu That is fine. In the first place, I wonder why the Sidama man Madebo joined the Amhara_Guragie Alliance and became a member and spokesperson of AG7. That is not the right organization for him and I understand your contempt to him and what he said. Anyway, for the benefit of other readers, I posted below Mr. Madibo's interview.

Can please bring Ermiyas Legesse's discussion/explanation on those three ideologies. I think I missed that or the information never exists, but you thought it exists. Bring that information if it exist.


Risa
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: 14 Oct 2014, 11:27

Re: Choice of Ideologies for Ethiopia: Revolutionary Democracy, Social Democracy, or Liberal Democracy

Post by Risa » 16 Jan 2019, 07:33

Telomerase wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 04:35
An advice from a neighbor,

Liberal Democracy is the only choice, otherwise Ethiopia will end up in none ending political turmoil.
The Good Neighbor,
Could you please elaborate why you think it is the only choice?


Post Reply