Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Horus

What Does Axum Mean?

Post by Horus » 06 Jan 2019, 01:56

Any idea? Any guess? How can you all talk about Axum without knowing what it is?

Za Dengel

Re: What Does Axum Mean?

Post by Za Dengel » 09 Jan 2019, 10:22

I read “Aku” means water in Agew or Kunema languages. It means shum of water.

I also read that Geez ppl used to be nomads and conquered Aksum from Kunema by descending from the surrounding mountain.

Misraq
Member+

Post by Misraq » 09 Jan 2019, 10:39

Horus wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 01:56
Any idea? Any guess? How can you all talk about Axum without knowing what it is?
Let me predict on how you will interpret it. I am sure you will come and tell us that axum is a gurage word. axi, or axu is the son of a gurage clan father which is the older brother of sodo or 7-house and ume or uma means the name of his wife. so aksuma axiuma is a gurage clan and his wife who ruled the area.

this is based on the previous interpretations you made here in mereja

Horus

Post by Horus » 09 Jan 2019, 22:32

Ze-Dengel,

I have heard that decode a long time ago. The problem with decode is this. If the notion is related to Bahre-Neash or ruler of the Sea implying the Red Sea, there no historical evidence to that effect. Axum related to ancient Egypt not the Red Sea in its symbolism and architecture. More important, the Red Sea does not get its name from Agew language or 'Aku'. Then the word 'shum, Sum' is a classic proto- Semitic and Semitic word just as it says 'shome, seyeme'!!! No, Axum is originally an Egyptian word and in this 'Axum' form is Greek. That is my clue to you. I will leave it there for now.

misraq - this is my question to you. What does Axum mean? This is Horus. Ignorance is not a virtue !!!! Kair !!!!!!!!!!!

Fiyameta

Post by Fiyameta » 10 Jan 2019, 01:01

The name Axum was derived from the Arabic word "Kus Emek" (ኩሱመክ) meaning your mother's reproductive organ. :oops: :oops:

Masud
Member+

Post by Masud » 10 Jan 2019, 01:15

Horus wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 01:56
Horus,
Here is the answer to your question from my August 22, 2013 post here viewtopic.php?t=59563&sid=f1d42105f9b67 ... 9071a5ab50.

Do You Know What the Aksum Stele Symbolizes and the Reason for Its Erection?
Post by Masud » 22 Aug 2013, 15:31

Do You Know What the Aksum Stele Symbolizes and the Reason for Its Erection?
One of today’s articles posted on Ethiopian Review is about the stele of Aksum. The article was written by Gheladwos Araia and posted on Ethiopian Review by RestoreEthiopic. The title of the article is “The Magnificent of Aksum: Revisiting Ethiopian Civilization”. I loved the article and I will tell you why.
According to Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia, Aksum stele/obelisk is 1,700 years old and curved from granite rock. Gheladwos says it was curved from other type of rock. My objective is not to discuss about the type of rock it was made from but to share the information/history that my Tigrawai friend from Aksum shared with me about two decades ago. Up until today, I haven’t taken that history of Aksum seriously. Thanks for both Gheladwos and RestoreEthiopic, the article I read today about Aksum helped me to remind the history of Aksum stele that my Tigrawai friend told me and to take it seriously. Some of you might already know what the Aksum stele symbolizes and the reason for its erection. For those of you who don’t know, here is the not widely told history of Aksum stele. After reading this, you will know.
As Gheladwos quoted/wrote, the birthplace of Aksum stele was Gobedira. Gobedira, as Gheladwos told us, is just three miles west of Aksum and had been known for pottery making culture. Have you made different shapes out of mud when you were a child? Remember the shape you or your friends made out of that mud. If you are grown playing with Chinese toy, you missed that important experience in your life.
The name of the birth place of Aksum stele, Gobedira, is very important and has direct relationship with the not-widely told history of Aksum stele which my friend told me. Gobedira means stabbing or thrusting or jabbing sharp pointed instrument into somebody or to push something with a punching movement into somebody. This is Afaan Oromo meaning of Gobedira. If it has different meaning in Tigregna, I am ready to hear.
Don’t get me wrong I am neither saying Gobedira belongs to Oromo or Oromia nor claiming the history of Aksum. Oromo have a lot of other things to claim, not the stele of Aksum and Gobedira. As I indicated above, my intention is to share with you the not-widely told history of Aksum stele.
As the meaning of Gobedira given above hinted, the Aksum stele/obelisk symbolizes and represents male sex organ. Especially if you see the top tip of the stele and male sex organ, you agree with me without any reservation and agree with my friend who shared about the background history of the Aksum stele. As he told me, in old pre-Aksum stele period, life in Tigrai, especially in present day Aksum had been abundant. After eating and drinking, the main thing the people living there done was playing with the opposite sex. In those days, no reservation and shame to do sex and the practice was excessive (I love Paris every moment!!). Therefore, the old men and women who were not enjoying that extreme sexual interaction because of their age and dying feeling, came up with the idea of cutting the big shape of male organ ([ deleted ]) from rock and erect it so that some of them get satisfied by simply looking at that erected shape and that extreme interaction could be reduced. That was why the Aksum stele was extracted from rock, dragged several kilometers and erected at the present place of Aksum.
The stele served the intended purpose for some time. But over the course of time, as the number of people gathering everyday around the stele to calm down their sexual desire by looking at the shape which it represents and pondering to get the real shape and feeling increased, most of them started considering the stele as their god and worshipping it. Therefore, the Aksum stele served as a satisfier of physical and spiritual desire. These roles of the stele continued until Christianity was adopted by Ezana in 4th century. Now you know what the Aksum obelisk symbolizes and the reason for its erection.
The Italians might have heard this history and the reason for erecting it in the center of Rome could be this. You know the behaviors of Italians and what they like, right? What surprises me in this regard is that why the elderly TPLF officials didn’t take the Aksum obelisk to Addis Ababa and didn’t erect it in the middle of Chechnya or Bole part of the Addis. Today, their men and women are living in abundance like old days Gobedira and practicing excessive sexual interaction where other Ethiopians are starving. They should think about taking the Aksum stele to Addis, anyways the majority of Tigrawai were already migrated there and live there. What is the purpose of leaving the stele behind?

viewtopic.php?t=59563&sid=f1d42105f9b67 ... 9071a5ab50

Horus

Post by Horus » 10 Jan 2019, 01:20

Fiyameta wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 01:01
The name Axum was derived from the Arabic word "Kus Emek" (ኩሱመክ) meaning your mother's reproductive organ. :oops: :oops:
Fiyameta,

When Axum existed, there was Arabic nor Arab ethnic group. Good try thought ! Remeber Jesus spoke Aramaic not Arabic.

Horus

Post by Horus » 10 Jan 2019, 01:35

masud,

It is a good thing you do research to find truth and base you comments on facts. It is true the stone for Axum stelea was taken from Gobedera. I have not seen if Gobedera is a hill or a low flat land. Gobedera is not Oromofa. It is Semitic or Aramaic. Dera means Land or Place. Even today Der is Arabic like Der Sultan or Gonder (Gon(Ras) Der Medr like Ras Dashen - mountain or very high land. What is Gobe. It could mean Goba - Hill or mountain. If it was a low hot land, dry place - it could be Gibe. Gibe means desert is Gibe desert in Gurage.

The circles on the top of the stelea do not indicate male kolet, rather the sun and the Moon. Keep reading .!!!

Tiago

Post by Tiago » 10 Jan 2019, 01:55

Axum is neither a Ge’ez word nor Tigrigna nor an Amharic one. Like many other cities, there is no written record of why and how it was named. The book of Axum states that Axum’s old name was Azeba, which means south, maybe south of the Red Sea for good reason. There is oral tradition which does not appear to be of folk etymological construct that informs us that Axum is an Agew term: ‘Aak-shum’, which means the principal for the water (the sea). We find similar appellative titles in Agew speaking areas such as Wag in Wollo. The term ‘Wag-shum’ (principal of Wag) has for example a similar connotation as Ak-Shum. A question may arise then that Agew is a Kushitic language and the Axumites were Semitic? The answer is the Axumites were Kushitic as well as Semitic people. To understand their background it is important to note their history as written in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahdo Chronicles.

Selam/

Post by Selam/ » 10 Jan 2019, 08:12

Sun & moon it is.
Horus wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 01:35
masud,

It is a good thing you do research to find truth and base you comments on facts. It is true the stone for Axum stelea was taken from Gobedera. I have not seen if Gobedera is a hill or a low flat land. Gobedera is not Oromofa. It is Semitic or Aramaic. Dera means Land or Place. Even today Der is Arabic like Der Sultan or Gonder (Gon(Ras) Der Medr like Ras Dashen - mountain or very high land. What is Gobe. It could mean Goba - Hill or mountain. If it was a low hot land, dry place - it could be Gibe. Gibe means desert is Gibe desert in Gurage.

The circles on the top of the stelea do not indicate male kolet, rather the sun and the Moon. Keep reading .!!!