Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Risa

Is Presidential System of Government Better for Ethiopia?

Post by Risa » 02 Dec 2018, 07:27

While enjoying my weekend, I came across the following article.

"Is Presidential System of Government Better for Ethiopia?" Enjoy

The debate over presidential and parliamentary system of government has long history. The students of comparative politics done myriads of research in this area and produced plenty of research papers. Therefore, I have no intention to go into the details of the theoretical analysis of these two systems. Rather, I would like to focus on evaluating both systems in relation to Ethiopian politics. Up until the introduction of the current constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) in 1995, the top officials who were heads of state of Ethiopia were also heads of government of the country. However, the current Ethiopian constitution introduced a parliamentary form of government where the head of state and head of government are separate and held by different individuals.

In 2005 political debate for election, the founder and leader of Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement (OFDM) Mr. Bulcha Demeksa argued that presidential system of government is better for Ethiopia and vowed to struggle to replace the parliamentary system of government of Ethiopia with the presidential system.

Continue reading here: http://www.aigaforum.com/article2018/Pa ... ential.htm

Ethoash

Re: Is Presidential System of Government Better for Ethiopia?

Post by Ethoash » 02 Dec 2018, 10:03

parliamentary system is good for Ethiopia ... look what it produce Dr. love so it is not a bad thing ... look what USA presidential system produce.. you see people must be informed voter in absent of this informed voter the oromo will vote for oromo the Amhara will vote for Amhara ... let use parliamentary system for next 10 or 20 years until our people economy improved and their education level improved then we can switch to Presidential system .. in fact we can do referendum what the people want ... in parliamentary system the PM IS the subservient of Parliament they can remove him if they dont want him this is very good for Ethiopian kind of political environment we have leach on PM. once we develop our democracy and understand what democracy is then we can switch but not now.. even in American system of government people think they vote for their president but they dont their representative vote for them..

Masud
Member+

Post by Masud » 02 Dec 2018, 11:07

Professor Ethoashtray Dedebit,
As usual you presented funny idea here. You attached Presidential System to development and Parliamentary System to underdevelopment. Do you think South Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, etc are more developed than Ethiopia. You better present more sounding and reasonable justification. Anyway, you don't have that caliber and I cant't blame you.

Ethoash wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 10:03
parliamentary system is good for Ethiopia ... look what it produce Dr. love so it is not a bad thing ... look what USA presidential system produce.. you see people must be informed voter in absent of this informed voter the oromo will vote for oromo the Amhara will vote for Amhara ... let use parliamentary system for next 10 or 20 years until our people economy improved and their education level improved then we can switch to Presidential system .. in fact we can do referendum what the people want ... in parliamentary system the PM IS the subservient of Parliament they can remove him if they dont want him this is very good for Ethiopian kind of political environment we have leach on PM. once we develop our democracy and understand what democracy is then we can switch but not now.. even in American system of government people think they vote for their president but they dont their representative vote for them..

Qurunde

Post by Qurunde » 03 Dec 2018, 07:13

Bulcha Demeksa is a great guy. He is full of ideas. I want to read his book " My Life".
Risa wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 07:27

The debate over presidential and parliamentary system of government has long history. The students of comparative politics done myriads of research in this area and produced plenty of research papers. Therefore, I have no intention to go into the details of the theoretical analysis of these two systems. Rather, I would like to focus on evaluating both systems in relation to Ethiopian politics. Up until the introduction of the current constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) in 1995, the top officials who were heads of state of Ethiopia were also heads of government of the country. However, the current Ethiopian constitution introduced a parliamentary form of government where the head of state and head of government are separate and held by different individuals.

In 2005 political debate for election, the founder and leader of Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement (OFDM) Mr. Bulcha Demeksa argued that presidential system of government is better for Ethiopia and vowed to struggle to replace the parliamentary system of government of Ethiopia with the presidential system.

Risa

Post by Risa » 06 Dec 2018, 01:10

You can find Bulcha's book on Amazon.com.
Qurunde wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 07:13
Bulcha Demeksa is a great guy. He is full of ideas. I want to read his book " My Life".
Risa wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 07:27