Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Telomerase

Re: There is no trace of civilization in Habasha land. Axum got nothing with ethnic Tigire nor Lalibela got with Amara

Post by Telomerase » 05 Jul 2018, 19:06

Mitmitaye wrote,
The night Templars build great big churches after seeing lalibela. Older Churches in Europe are pretty small and not sophisticated. Lalibela has inspired & influenced how they saw and built the house of lord. Their first impressive church still stands in France.
:P :P :P
Again, she wrote,
You haven't answered my question. Again did your ancestors lived in that same are for the past 1200 years?
How about yours, did they ? Did the ancestors of the Italians live in Italy during the Roman Empire ? Did the ancestors of the Jewish people live in Israel, Syria, etc.....You ask a very good question :P :P

Axumawi

Re: There is no trace of civilization in Habasha land. Axum got nothing with ethnic Tigire nor Lalibela got with Amara

Post by Axumawi » 05 Jul 2018, 19:24

mitmitaye wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:54
You haven't answered my question. Again did your ancestors lived in that same are for the past 1200 years?

Btw, does it really matter how many assyrians or Persians did I know growing up? what's your point?

Again, the crusaders were inspired by lalibela churches. .

Btw, during the axumite empire the country was called Ethiopia NOT Abyssinia!

Tigre can not claim axum history either . Anyway, why did queen sheba's son was called Menilk? Amaharic word?

What does exactly mean Debtera? Is it tigrigna? Geez or amharic :mrgreen:
There is 2200 years related to Tigre-Tigrigni on stones, names of villages, towns..etc
There are laws regional laws of land tenure, marriages, rulers, written in Tigrigna from 700 years. The Eritreans have it in Museum now.
I did not say how many Assyrians you knew, but what did you know about them. I bet is very little if any at all.
Axum was called Axum ...You can refer to Roman empire or Persian empire or Assyarian empire...etc

In the most authoritative and used as authentic books about the Roman empire "The decline and fall of the Roman Empire" its refered as Axum and later Abyssinia. The official name for today's Ethiopia was Abyssinia even as member state of the league of nations during Empress Zewditu and Hatse Haileslassie later. Was only during the second world war when current Ethiopia became official, formal, diplomatic...etc.

I have no idea that Menelik is Amhara name lol. I read from an Italian officers writing about Adwa battle and one of the commanders of the Eastern Tigray army (Ras Siyum mengesha as oppsed to Ras Allula led army) was named Minelik and his original town is Adigrat. He was older than Hatse Menelik (crown name only not personal name) by age. But you and I will not conclude this. Menelik the oldest known Minelik was born in Hamasien that we can agree since there is proof for it.

Debtera is a kind of masters degree education level that takes about 4-5 years after regular priesthood. Its from Oritawian (kind of Jewish but older and slightly different). The Jewish themselves must have inherited the High priest system from previous. Literally it means scribe of the highest order or the order of scribes. Its a whole system that has its own rules.
For example before the rule went to Shiwa, every single Debtera has to have had part of his education and practice done in Gojjam. Then Shiwa started annointing Debtera or recognizing debters that did not complete their education, never been to Gojjam..etc Now the name/function DEBTERA is so soiled defiled and politicized in Ethiopia has become Toxic, unlike the aura, respect it had in Abyssinia. I am sure Bwendimu would shoot me if I said I am Debtera now. Has been completely destroyed as one of our greatest heritage.

What else?

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 05 Jul 2018, 21:12

Bwendimu,

Give us some more juicy details of your trip and investigation into the empty gurra Habesha.
I know you are good in describing/expressing your points.

Did you visit in Semiyen where your Wellega army lost/won a major battle during Ras Wube days. They had most horsemen left, but all commanders including their chief were killed. The horsemen took Sibagadis who was Ras Wube father in law and hacked him with sticks and stones, they were so mad and then scattered themselves. Cannot rule place they won and cannot go back without a single one of their commanders. They mostly settled in Semiyen by help of Ras Wube.

Did you pass through Tselemti and Adyabo (shire) antique places?

Did you see the new Lalibela church built from the ground up the same way exactly like the old ones. Amazing work by Aba Gebremeskel he replicated one of the churches just to make the point it was made by Habesha. He did not use any modern tools, tools that were not available then when the originals were built. I hope you visited it and have pictures of it. Most of your questions would have been answered about how they were made. We Habesha can prove every single one of our heritage unlike the current Egyptians who claim something not theirs.

Bwendimu
Member+

Post by Bwendimu » 05 Jul 2018, 22:11

I loved Gojam and it is so fertile and every spot was covered by crope. I also noticed they have good homes and the government is building for the people good houses. Unlike Oromos both Amara and Tigire people are extremely hard working people. From Shire Endesilase to Lalibela the landscape is horable and fertile land is few. Yet they utilize every possible space they can.
The people are innocent and are victims of the mafia stile government of TPLF. The most affected is Tigirai. There was one single hotel near Romanat where you can seat and drink coffee for 20 birr. I met a high school teacher seating without ordering any thing as he wait for his friend who never show up for over an hour. I engaged in talks with him and asked him how life is for him. He told me with 3000 birr he get in a month he couldn’t afford any thing and he wait for his friend to pass night with him. I ordered tea for him and we talked about lots of staff. The owner of my hotel at Shire (my center from where I take taxi to travel to Axume and Adwa for about 3 days or-so) was educated at Awasa. He start working for government but he hate the corruption and left. Most Tigires don’t know South exist. One elementary teacher whom I met at Adwa told me he never been to any where out of Tigirai. We eat lunch together just stone throw from where Meles Zenawi was born.
Tigire people are just like Ethiopians and suffer under brutal rule of TPLF. Few think to migrate south and take advantage of Wayane rule. So many unemployed youth. Food is very cheap hotel is very cheap. This shows there is no money at all. Life in North is cheap compared to Oromiya. I don’t think TPLF got support in Tigirai.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 05 Jul 2018, 22:46

Bwendimu wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 22:11
I loved Gojam and it is so fertile and every spot was covered by crope. I also noticed they have good homes and the government is building for the people good houses. Unlike Oromos both Amara and Tigire people are extremely hard working people. From Shire Endesilase to Lalibela the landscape is horable and fertile land is few. Yet they utilize every possible space they can.
The people are innocent and are victims of the mafia stile government of TPLF. The most affected is Tigirai. There was one single hotel near Romanat where you can seat and drink coffee for 20 birr. I met a high school teacher seating without ordering any thing as he wait for his friend who never show up for over an hour. I engaged in talks with him and asked him how life is for him. He told me with 3000 birr he get in a month he couldn’t afford any thing and he wait for his friend to pass night with him. I ordered tea for him and we talked about lots of staff. The owner of my hotel at Shire (my center from where I take taxi to travel to Axume and Adwa for about 3 days or-so) was educated at Awasa. He start working for government but he hate the corruption and left. Most Tigires don’t know South exist. One elementary teacher whom I met at Adwa told me he never been to any where out of Tigirai. We eat lunch together just stone throw from where Meles Zenawi was born.
Tigire people are just like Ethiopians and suffer under brutal rule of TPLF. Few think to migrate south and take advantage of Wayane rule. So many unemployed youth. Food is very cheap hotel is very cheap. This shows there is no money at all. Life in North is cheap compared to Oromiya. I don’t think TPLF got support in Tigirai.
Thank you
That was exactly what I was looking for.
It means you went through Hagereselam, Tembien, Wag...etc.
Very beautiful people yet not have had a break in over a hundred years.
And just to further elaborate on yours. Recently TVTigray got a tip from Tembien area that there is a project that has been reported as success, but is bigest failure and abandoned. There were about 11 projects launched with 19 youth each. The ones in Humera, east and others were fairly successful The one in Raya was so successful the youth have become milionaires and now expanding to malls. The one in Tembien was dismal.

mitmitaye

Post by mitmitaye » 06 Jul 2018, 03:47

Axumawi-bandawi, proof me that Ethiopia was called, officially, Abyssinia by Ethiopians. I have explained in the past how and why that name - Abyssinia came about. So, no need to repeat myself here. Emperor Haile Sellassie was crowned as king of Ethiopia not Abyssinia. At the nation of league he represents Ethiopia and Ethiopians not Abyssinia. He made it clear that the name Abyssinia has no meaning to us- Ethiopians, and pit an end to it officially in Europe.

You can look through historical records/letter exchanges b/n ethiopian kings and their allies in Europe. No Ethiopian king ever called himself "king of Abyssinia".

Your blabber regarding history of Ethiopia will not change the fact that our country existed as a country before axumite empire, European writers and tplf dedebit school... do yourself a favour -- read history :idea:

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 06 Jul 2018, 04:14

mitmitaye,
hulunm ke emnet ayn tenesten mayet alebn,ante yemetetsfewn kalteketatele temkehtegna amara belo yalfeh neber.

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 06 Jul 2018, 06:35

Ethiopians never called their country Abyssinia but Ethiopia (from 4th century onwards) and Habesha/Abesha (from very ancient onwards). Abyssinia is the European version of Habesha but still Ethiopians never called themselves by it. 17th century Ludolf also said that Ethiopians sometimes call their country Geez/Agazi.

We know that ancient Ethiopia wasn’t present day Ethiopia so the the adoption of the name by Aksumite was stealing. The 20th century name change from Abyssinia to Ethiopia only happened from foreigners perspective. But Habesha/Abesha is the appropriate name of the country.

mitmitaye

Post by mitmitaye » 06 Jul 2018, 07:35

there was never a land/a country called habesha.. Habesha/abesha is a state of mind... for the arabs, it was simply mean diQala rather a degrading term.. :x

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 06 Jul 2018, 09:21

Habesha isn't agasas Arab origin but probably either Horn of Africa or ancient Egyptian origin. For Arab it might mean mixed or [deleted] but for the creator of the word it meaning was/is different. Long before there was an Arab ethnic, ancient Egyptians used to refer the ppl of Punt (located in the Horn of Africa) as “ኀበሰተየ" and this word has a connection with “ሀበሻ”.

Read Girma A. Demeke and Ahmed Zakaria article “የሀበሻ ማንነትና ምንነት”.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 12:41

mitmitaye wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 03:47
Axumawi-bandawi, proof me that Ethiopia was called, officially, Abyssinia by Ethiopians. I have explained in the past how and why that name - Abyssinia came about. So, no need to repeat myself here. Emperor Haile Sellassie was crowned as king of Ethiopia not Abyssinia. At the nation of league he represents Ethiopia and Ethiopians not Abyssinia. He made it clear that the name Abyssinia has no meaning to us- Ethiopians, and pit an end to it officially in Europe.

You can look through historical records/letter exchanges b/n ethiopian kings and their allies in Europe. No Ethiopian king ever called himself "king of Abyssinia".

Your blabber regarding history of Ethiopia will not change the fact that our country existed as a country before axumite empire, European writers and tplf dedebit school... do yourself a favour -- read history :idea:
Don't get mad. Calm down. lol Abyssinia is not such a bad name either. It was just abused and misused in the Southern part of Ethiopia. It also became derogatory in Arab world since a fallen tree misar yibezal and we fell down completely most backward, most poor so its natural our name also represents poverty backwardness...Its to be expected. In Ethiopia it was misused for temporary gain and soiled the name.

Check records from League of nations.
Even though America was not a member, they have documents on State department reference or you can go to British Archive see the name for Ethiopia.
Hatse Haileslassie was foreign minister (functional) during Empress Zewditu when Ethiopia became member of League of nations.

Some people say the following as a reason:
Ethiopia had two kingdoms/sultanates that had slave trade (Shiwa and Jima)
In Abyssinia its illegal from 800 years before that time. Therefore Europeans were prevented from signing agreements if one does not stop slave trade. In the British Empire no official over metoaleqa or district secretary can sign agreement with anyone outsdie of the Empire suspected or proven to have slave trade in their territories.
Not sure if this was reason or not why in League of nations the name Abyssinia was used.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 13:02

Za Dengel wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 09:21
Habesha isn't agasas Arab origin but probably either Horn of Africa or ancient Egyptian origin. For Arab it might mean mixed or [deleted] but for the creator of the word it meaning was/is different. Long before there was an Arab ethnic, ancient Egyptians used to refer the ppl of Punt (located in the Horn of Africa) as “ኀበሰተየ" and this word has a connection with “ሀበሻ”.

Read Girma A. Demeke and Ahmed Zakaria article “የሀበሻ ማንነትና ምንነት”.
Every name regardless its origins or original meaning will take meaning relative to status and place of the so named in world or region.

I can speak with 100% certainity that if Habesha were sending a man to the moon or space from Debremarqos our name would have meant totally different to others. In Just 20 years South Tigray has changed from barren to green from food shortage to surplus so much so some of the agencies who worked there in 1984 find it hard to believe. It will take few decades for the name to follow the changed reality. Israel now uses Raya area for promoting its Foreign aid agency since they played very important role in drip farming technology transfer and support.

The Habesha name has been run to the ground in a 100 ways both internally in Ethiopia and foreign.

Arabs who never ruled themselves are always middle man for slave trade or sea trade now. They were always ruled by someone Persian, Turks, Assyrians, etc who are not Arab. Its like classes among the lower classes.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the backwardness we currently suffer from. Oil was found in Ethiopia 15 years before Saudi Arabia. Just that should tell you why a Saudi would call me Abid now. I deserve it. And until I change materially my status nothing will change.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 13:16

maryaXtigre wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 08:47
mitmitaye wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 07:35
there was never a land/a country called habesha.. Habesha/abesha is a state of mind... for the arabs, it was simply mean diQala rather a degrading term.. :x
Habesha is actually quite an insult it can very much be used in a derogatory way. Many Eritreans refuse to identify with it because of it's Arabic meaning, i can speak of Sudan for example haebshi would mean= prostitution,poor,uneducated,christian and so fourth...
Now yes last 20-30 years. Most of it coming from Kebessa in your country. But have you asked what Habesha meant in Sudan before? Ask some elder or middle age.
Habesha was the Ferenj (which they respect as we do) of Africa. The Moslems know of Negash. The Jealin know of Tigray when they were almost wiped out by Darfurians. Even an Ethiopian airline pilot who landed (the only one to do so when European and Arab airlines couldn't) was written given nicknames for weeks in their media. Hatse Haileslassie had great image some real some embelished, but great image none the less....

Times change we have fallen down to the bottom of the world relatively from where we were and that is what you get.

Mitmitaye,
Diqala by itself is zemen yametaw. There was no Diqala word and had no meaning among Kunama until recently, because your name is by mother and property inheritance was by mother. This until 1940s when christians started converting them.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 13:34

Za Dengel wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 06:35
Ethiopians never called their country Abyssinia but Ethiopia (from 4th century onwards) and Habesha/Abesha (from very ancient onwards). Abyssinia is the European version of Habesha but still Ethiopians never called themselves by it. 17th century Ludolf also said that Ethiopians sometimes call their country Geez/Agazi.

We know that ancient Ethiopia wasn’t present day Ethiopia so the the adoption of the name by Aksumite was stealing. The 20th century name change from Abyssinia to Ethiopia only happened from foreigners perspective. But Habesha/Abesha is the appropriate name of the country.

The name Ethiopia for Abyssinia is either stolen or impossed.
Me thinks first was stolen and imposed and later in 20th century was re-imposed.

That is why in Ethiopia/Eritrea the name Habesha goes through cycles good-bad-verybad-better-good-terrible...etc.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 14:29

maryaXtigre wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 14:21
Axumawi wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 13:16
maryaXtigre wrote:
mitmitaye wrote:
Habesha is actually quite an insult it can very much be used in a derogatory way. Many Eritreans refuse to identify with it because of it's Arabic meaning, i can speak of Sudan for example haebshi would mean= prostitution,poor,uneducated,christian and so fourth...
Now yes last 20-30 years. Most of it coming from Kebessa in your country. But have you asked what Habesha meant in Sudan before? Ask some elder or middle age.
Habesha was the Ferenj (which they respect as we do) of Africa. The Moslems know of Negash. The Jealin know of Tigray when they were almost wiped out by Darfurians. Even an Ethiopian airline pilot who landed (the only one to do so when European and Arab airlines couldn't) was written given nicknames for weeks in their media. Hatse Haileslassie had great image some real some embelished, but great image none the less....

Times change we have fallen down to the bottom of the world relatively from where we were and that is what you get.

Mitmitaye,
Diqala by itself is zemen yametaw. There was no Diqala word and had no meaning among Kunama until recently, because your name is by mother and property inheritance was by mother. This until 1940s when christians started converting them.
true only kebssa use it in Eritrea, Muslims in general wouldn't call them self habesha because their not habesha is a christian orthodox person from the tigrinya-tigry,Amhara,agwa ethnic groups it belong exclusively to them....

Its the same in Somali people as well. Habesha means Christian Highlander. As it had started before Christianity it must have meant Farmers and then Highlanders. For a nomad farming settled society was alien way of life.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 14:42

Bwendimu,

Did you visit anything Jewish or Moslem places that are significant around Shire?
Adyabo which is Awrajas Tahtay and Laelay around Shire is quite diverse From rich farm lands, to Itan (that is why Shire as new town grew fast and now feels like has been there for centuries), there was also and still is some gold mine that at one time was owned operated by Ottoman family. When expelled in 16th century part of the campaign of Ahmed Gragn was to restore this, but failed.

Did you see some Terrace farming like the Chinese ones and drip farming Israeli system. I have not visited these lately, but around 2007 this was the hottest idea and work until 2013.

Did you visit any of these industrial areas in South or North? Is it going to absorb the population explosion...? And also the refugees, why a lot of the money is coming from European countries.

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 06 Jul 2018, 16:32

Axumawi wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 13:34
Za Dengel wrote:

Me thinks first was stolen and imposed and later in 20th century was re-imposed.

That is why in Ethiopia/Eritrea the name Habesha goes through cycles good-bad-verybad-better-good-terrible...etc.
Why do you say it was re-imposed? Ethiopians (then Aksumite) never abandoned the name after they stole and impose it in 4th century.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 06 Jul 2018, 16:43

Za Dengel wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:32
Axumawi wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 13:34
Za Dengel wrote:

Why do you say it was re-imposed? Ethiopians (then Aksumite) never abandoned the name after they stole and impose it in 4th century.
You are right. I should have used a different word like enhanced, rejuvenated, re energized etc. With the establishment of countries in the modern way in 19th century all over the world, the name got re-energized renewed.

The stealing originally stays the same.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 09 Jul 2018, 19:07

maryaXtigre wrote:
mitmitaye wrote:

What makes you think Habesha is Arabic? What makes you think the Arabs were anywhere to give names to other people's?
Actually what makes you think Arabic language is older than Geez or Aremaic (which has lots of interchangeable words with Geez Tigrinya Tigre..?

Don't be shocked:
Current Egyptians only have 19% relation to Arabs. You need to think of Egypt Sudan even Saudi Arabia very differently when you speak of Habesha. We are the least changed people for good or bad. We are backward and poor, but if we catch up we will really make it since we do not have baggage of looking for history, identity, culture...etc

AbebeB

Post by AbebeB » 09 Jul 2018, 19:21

Bwendimu,
I can't give the habesha land zero for civilization. I tried to plot the audio records from habesha shout to analyse the its intensity and pattern over time. Consequently, I came to conclude it started from around 400BC as the started to land horn of Africa. Consequently, the land has begun shouting from ancient and now is climax. So be considerate. I have regards for the pope corn politicians otherwise ESAT could be very silent.