Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth

A viable solution needs to be based on a proper understanding of the underlying problem

Post by DefendTheTruth » 30 Dec 2017, 09:58

XXX
The political situation in Ethiopia is right now at best on a continuously deteriorating track or has even already slumped into an abyss of chaos which could potentially spell a much worse civil war in a country of more than about 80 different ethnic groups. Some people have started to compare the current situation in the country with a biblical term of “Original Sin” of mankind (attributed to Eva’s and Adam’s eating from the forbidden Trees of Knowledge of Goods and Evils of Eden’s garden).

We need to understand what the problem is and take a review of what has been done so far to address the identified problem and find an alternative solution, which is viable and long-lasting, instead of trying to resort to the same old solutions and expect a different outcome just because we restart the process all over again, if we take the issue at hand seriously.

To start with Ethiopia is a diverse nation, constituted by around 80 different ethnic groups, most of them may not even have a population size of a million while few are more than the threshold figure, and even fewer, a couple of them, make a two digit million in their size of the overall population size of about 100 Millions. This indicates that there is an imbalance in the sizes of the different (ethnic) groups to base some kind of structuring the state along those ethnic boundaries in an attempt to resolve the problem democratically, which is kind of decentralizing the state along the ethnic boundaries. Somebody can’t make a true democracy where it can’t also ensure the principle of equal opportunities for all of the citizens of the country. If you base the state structure to coincide with the lines of ethnic boundaries in such a set-up like it is the case in Ethiopia, you will be hard-pressed to create a semblance of democracy while ignoring the issues of equal opportunities for all of the citizens in the country. And this is precisely what we see as the root cause of today’s problem in the country, whether we like to admit it or not, in my view.

It seems perhaps because of this main challenge that a number of previous governments that ruled in the country tried to centralize the state and bring all under just one umbrella, in which case they also inadvertently tried to ignore a natural phenomenon, which is by itself omnipresent and typical of the natural make-up of our country, that is the diversity issue. Some people have already stated that Ethiopia is a natural Mosaic and ignoring this typical and natural feature of the nation while trying to seek a viable solution to its pertinent problems has proved itself a futile attempt so far, like we have seen in the fall of the previous two governments, The Derg and its predecessor, HIM of Haile Selassie, regimes. This has backfired on the architects and the other end of the political spectrum in the country took over the control and installed its own version of the solution, which has now led to the state of affairs people are comparing to the case of the “Original Sin”, as mentioned above. Here they tried to over-stress the diversity issue without trying to pay enough attention to its effect on the unity of the country. And we are on the losing track or have lost already a lot.

As a consequence this group (the force behind it) itself is now on the defensive and it is only a matter of when but not if, that it too will lose control and face perhaps the same fate that a number of its predecessor faced.

And how should the solution look like now?

I am not a politician or a social scientist but I think the solution could be now in trying to strike a balance between the two opposing views with regard to the state structure in the country. This new solution can be called celebrate our diversity to defend our unity. The two must be set in balance and both can’t succeed without the other prevailing. Ethiopia shined on the global stage only when it came together and defended what makes Ethiopia today, and we are proud of that.

But the proposals and opinions forwarded so far in this regard tried to stress the value of one of the two components at the expense of the other and the system of governments that were formed in the recent history of the country ended up failing to achieve any viable solution, that is home made and long-lasting potentially. Ethiopia is right now and in effect in an Era of The Princes, once again, which can only be dubbed as the Phase Two of the same phenomenon, after the first one ended around The Mid of the 19th Century.

In my opinion if some sort of solution over-stresses one of the two pillars of the foundation of the Ethiopian State, then it is also destined to lose on both ends, and there can’t be any win on both side of the spectrum of the political forces that propone the presumed solution. It needs to be carefully studied and implemented and those who can envision a solution in this regard may have the prospect of finally resolving Ethiopia’s endemic political problem and lead it to a prosperous future for all of its citizens independent of where they came from and in which a truly democratic and egalitarian system could finally be founded.

Without trying to get into the detail of the implementation of this concept, I may add just one or two general proposal in this regard. For the two ends to be attended to adequately there should be political parties that should be founded transcending the ethnic boundaries and capable of listening to the aspiration of those in those boundaries at the same time, after which the political parties based on an ethnic enclaves would also die their natural deaths, because they mainly ignore the issue of unity, and those who are there but didn’t listen to the aspiration of the people therein under the banner of unity will also suffer politically, because they couldn’t listen to the aspiration of the people there.

I think that this proposal, even if not with the same terms of diversity and unity but on a similar line of argument (central and decentral forces), was made already long time ago on this forum and I am not sure if the concerned players of the field paid the necessary attention to such a visionary proposal to overcome our main problem of the time. The key words I added in here are mainly diversity and unity, which are complimentary and not competing against each other in my view, if we mean to find a viable solution in our countries century old problem.

Horus
Member+

Re: A viable solution needs to be based on a proper understanding of the underlying problem

Post by Horus » 30 Dec 2017, 14:05

THE SOLUTION IS TO DISBAND ETHNIC KILIL BOUNDARIES. CREATE A DIFFERENT ORGANIZING UNITS FOR FEDERALISM AND SOLVE ETHNIC ISSUES WITHIN A FEDERAL DEMOCRACY. DEMOCRACY IS CREATED ONE MAN ONE VOTE. THAT IS ALL.

DefendTheTruth

Re: A viable solution needs to be based on a proper understanding of the underlying problem

Post by DefendTheTruth » 30 Dec 2017, 15:13

Horus,

You are not a democrat, you have already admitted to it by saying that your group will try to use violence to usurp the state power and you are confirming your claim here in saying implement your forceful "Banning". Good luck, but you are destined to fail upto the end, I am afraid.

This topic is for those who can present their views, democratically, and supplement it with their own reasoning, not about banning, forcefully. That makes the difference, I think.

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 30 Dec 2017, 15:27

ke megadeal yelek melkam ke misbut gar menegager yeshalallll/in the bible Nehmia,they wrote working with their speer in their hand.

kibramlak

Post by kibramlak » 30 Dec 2017, 15:45

For any progress to come, the current TPLF controlled institutions must but be first reformed or disbanded. You will never ever see any change if the ones who want to stay in power at any cost are at the helm of the defame-and-kill institutions. Any thing short of that is a zero game like Aba Dulla Simon, lol. These two individuals might be threatened to death and they had to accept the conditions as they see their pants are wetting. Instead of bringing a reform, the went on arm-twist to keep the status-quo. We are not talking about dissatisfaction. It is a total rejection. Unless the institutions are reformed or disbanded, no last cards will bring the things back again other than fostering a suicidal mission.

DefendTheTruth

Post by DefendTheTruth » 30 Dec 2017, 16:28

kibramlak wrote:For any progress to come, the current TPLF controlled institutions must but be first reformed or disbanded. You will never ever see any change if the ones who want to stay in power at any cost are at the helm of the defame-and-kill institutions. Any thing short of that is a zero game like Aba Dulla Simon, lol. These two individuals might be threatened to death and they had to accept the conditions as they see their pants are wetting. Instead of bringing a reform, the went on arm-twist to keep the status-quo. We are not talking about dissatisfaction. It is a total rejection. Unless the institutions are reformed or disbanded, no last cards will bring the things back again other than fostering a suicidal mission.
It is not about who should bring what ever is in your mind, it is rather how should the change look like, if we want to solve the problem. Why are you afraid? Are you someone who is bent on usurping power at all cost? But what is the "progress" you are talking about any how, can you elaborate a bit more?

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 30 Dec 2017, 17:15

I think what he is saying is real change needs to come and the so called leaders need to think about it.This person was a good person before people like Halafi Megedi made him angry and started to say bad words like the others,we have enemies who hate good things,they don't care if you are a Tigrian too

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 30 Dec 2017, 17:32

andit lij and gize melkam yemibal neger aytew ayawkum alech,yehew new eyayen yalew,ya melkam bahlachin bemaireba eyetekeyere new

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 02:34

At least we need to know to make friends just because we are Ethiopians not Amara,Oromo or Tigray.Take the good in every culture,I agree in what Horus is saying except that his knowledge is limited and childish.ewnetun yeneger.keteran/clean/ena ketebabern becha new liferun yemichelut,isolate the following people,Halafi Mengedi,Tigray will fight or some thing and Thomas H.to begin with.If we are united,they are nothing.The main goal is TPLF and all bihind it out of Ethiopia/be Egziabher tesfa adrgo deg mesrat yeshalal.

kibramlak

Post by kibramlak » 31 Dec 2017, 06:28

DefendTheTruth wrote:
kibramlak wrote:For any progress to come, the current TPLF controlled institutions must but be first reformed or disbanded. You will never ever see any change if the ones who want to stay in power at any cost are at the helm of the defame-and-kill institutions. Any thing short of that is a zero game like Aba Dulla Simon, lol. These two individuals might be threatened to death and they had to accept the conditions as they see their pants are wetting. Instead of bringing a reform, the went on arm-twist to keep the status-quo. We are not talking about dissatisfaction. It is a total rejection. Unless the institutions are reformed or disbanded, no last cards will bring the things back again other than fostering a suicidal mission.
It is not about who should bring what ever is in your mind, it is rather how should the change look like, if we want to solve the problem. Why are you afraid? Are you someone who is bent on usurping power at all cost? But what is the "progress" you are talking about any how, can you elaborate a bit more?
Are you serious that a change can come up with the current institutional setup?

kibramlak

Post by kibramlak » 31 Dec 2017, 06:53

@DTT
As you may hear, the country is under the influence of individuals who hates harmony between people, individuals who condemn those who are making progress like what Lemma & Gedu have started. How can anyone with a sane mind preach devil to keep in-fighting between people? How can anyone think that a change will come from these individuals who preach discord between people? The last thing unheard yet is the air you breath should also be with the "blessing" of these individuals.
I think, those who are trying to progress must keep listening to the people and remain to be accountable to their people.

@Degnet
I have been trying to be rational all along and have never had any problem with any people of any tribal background. However, the arrogance, the hate and madness of the individuals who side step the real questions of the people but want to keep beefing up their fat a** is something unacceptable. In addition, it is very sad to witness that some group want to keep silent (and dance, dine & wine in their comfort zone) while thousands are being killed and tortured because they requested for fair share of a living as a stakeholder of that country, as a citizen based on equality and respect. This is not only abnormal but also morally condemn-able for generations to come. After all, if we live for our ego at the expense of our moral, we wouldn't care whatever happens to others. Those who kept silent today have chosen their comfort and ego over one of the very basic human attributes God has given us - conscious and moral. I am not referring to the people in the country, am referring to those who are in the free world to speak free. That all is inexcusable

Amara Sayint

Post by Amara Sayint » 31 Dec 2017, 07:12

My suggestions are as follows:

Alpha: Promotion of Diversity in unity through Real Federalism with particular importance or attention given to local liberties.

Beta: Introduction of pluralistic multi-party system

Gamma: Proportional representation, that allows a fair representation of ethnic minorities

Delta: Imposing constitutional term limits upon the President, Prime Minister and Federal Representatives.

DefendTheTruth

Post by DefendTheTruth » 31 Dec 2017, 08:20

Amara Sayint wrote:My suggestions are as follows:

Alpha: Promotion of Diversity in unity through Real Federalism with particular importance or attention given to local liberties.

Beta: Introduction of pluralistic multi-party system

Gamma: Proportional representation, that allows a fair representation of ethnic minorities

Delta: Imposing constitutional term limits upon the President, Prime Minister and Federal Representatives.
At least yours is better for trying to propose what you think could be a solution instead of simply repeating the problems again and again without any word on what the solution should be. But you are not a democrat because your words betray you in black and white that you are someone bent on grabing the power based on your ethnic numeric size. That will not happen, because it is anti-democratic and dangerous for our country. Go and join the liberation forces, if you are not already there, or get back to them. This thread is for democrats and we demand equal opportunity for all citizens of the country without any bias based on solely their ethnic (natural) background. We are against discriminating anyone let alone the major chunk of the country's population.

On a side note, it is better if you keep your amara sayint nick aside, because we don't know much Amharas who joined the so called liberation forces and remained there stuck to what was somehow trendy 30 or 40 years back but became outdated and out of tune with the 21st century thinking paradigm of the free world.

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 08:50

DefendTheTruth,
The one can't go with out the other,be appreciative.

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 09:06

men adregu new yemtlachew,andande ewedew alehu andand gize degmo,men yemil tiake yasnesabegnal,atetabey sewn atetla.

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 09:28

sefa yale astesaseb new netsa yemiawetan.Space and freedom.

Amara Sayint

Post by Amara Sayint » 31 Dec 2017, 13:11

Mr. DefendTheTruth

Which one do you think is the antithesis of democracy? The Majority rule or Minority rule?

I prefer the majority rule, with particular attention being paid to the promotion and protection of the rights of minorities.

As far as my nickname is concerned, it was not designed to reflect political or racial themes, rather it is simply a product of my emotional bond to my place of origin, where i grew up; not to be confused with my place of birth - Meqdela.

Abdisa

Post by Abdisa » 31 Dec 2017, 17:32

DefendTheTruth wrote: Some people have started to compare the current situation in the country with a biblical term of “Original Sin” of mankind (attributed to Eva’s and Adam’s eating from the forbidden Trees of Knowledge of Goods and Evils of Eden’s garden).
I couldn't agree more. When Agame swarmed Oromia with evil intentions, they were not supposed to eat the fruits from the tree of life, but the evil that they are they did anyway, resulting in their eviction from the Garden of Eden, and Cherubim's flaming sword flashing back and forth in Oromia to prevent them re-entry 'til Kingdom come. 8)

DefendTheTruth

Post by DefendTheTruth » 01 Jan 2018, 08:45

Abdisa wrote:
DefendTheTruth wrote: Some people have started to compare the current situation in the country with a biblical term of “Original Sin” of mankind (attributed to Eva’s and Adam’s eating from the forbidden Trees of Knowledge of Goods and Evils of Eden’s garden).
I couldn't agree more. When Agame swarmed Oromia with evil intentions, they were not supposed to eat the fruits from the tree of life, but the evil that they are they did anyway, resulting in their eviction from the Garden of Eden, and Cherubim's flaming sword flashing back and forth in Oromia to prevent them re-entry 'til Kingdom come. 8)
Can you also tell us what could happen to your own Eritrea in case of the said "Original Sin", had Ethiopia's fate has to end that way?

DefendTheTruth

Post by DefendTheTruth » 01 Jan 2018, 10:23

It seems now the confession phase has already started, it remains only to bring those responsible to account for their deeds, it is human lives that is lost. It is not what we can simply forget before those responsible are held accountable.

Thank you ATV for bringing this burning issue into the public domain, hope the others will also persue the suite in this regard.
phpBB [video]
I found the following quote in the internet:

"Truth may be stretched, but cannot be broken, and always gets above falsehood, as does oil above water".

So, a single individual can put to its true size in about 10 mins what the so called EC of the EPRDF was labouring itself to give birth to for about 18 or so days.

Innocent people's blood was shed and there will not be a way out until they bring those responsible to accounte for their crime.
phpBB [video]