Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Axumawi

Funniest Ethiopiawinet: Raya are Oromo or Amhara

Post by Axumawi » 09 Aug 2018, 18:12

Everybody is afraid to ask the Raya people. Why.

But many go to their mountain top and claim:
Raya are Oromo biher
No Raya are Amhara biher

Lets check Anthropology, history, geography, cultural history, political history....

No just ask the people. That is the right thing to do in the first place and also they are the only ones who have the right and power to say who they are.

What do you think?

Sadacha Macca
Member+

Re: Funniest Ethiopiawinet: Raya are Oromo or Amhara

Post by Sadacha Macca » 09 Aug 2018, 18:15

They are originally Oromos who got assimilated into the cultures of their neighbors, the amhara and tigrayan, but above all, they love ethiopia and all of its people--something we all could learn from. raya is the furthest north the oromo re-conquest or expansion, went.
it's like wollo. a very mixed place. i love raya and wollo so much even tho my families from jimma and adoola.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 09 Aug 2018, 18:30

Sadacha Macca wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 18:15
They are originally Oromos who got assimilated into the cultures of their neighbors, the amhara and tigrayan, but above all, they love ethiopia and all of its people--something we all could learn from. raya is the furthest north the oromo re-conquest or expansion, went.
it's like wollo. a very mixed place. i love raya and wollo so much even tho my families from jimma and adoola.
Actually there is a lot of Oromo and nothing that can be called Amhara in Raya culture generally, as far as I know. And what ever little that is being claimed Amhara is Agew anywhay. But who are you and I to speak of their ancestry, history, psychological make up, language...etc but most importantly what they want.
They can also be independent identity regardless from which Ethnic they came from....

People should realize that Raya are not timid, shy or cowards. Quite the opposite. Ask them is what I say.

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 09 Aug 2018, 21:13

If Amara is Agaw then why do Amara call themselves Amara but not Agaw? If you weren’t emotional in this, you would have said Amara assimilated many Agaw just like Tigray assimilated many Nilotic groups and just like Agaw assimilated others, etc......

Rayya nowadays onsider themselves Tigray. galla were small ppl compared to many other Ethiopian ethnicities in the beginning of their expansion and more than half of the galla nowadays are the assimilated ones. galla say Rayya are galla who were Tigrinyized. Yes it’s true but it was few thousands galla who gallanized Agaw, Amara, Doba, Afar and Tigray there and collectively called them Rayya. But Rayya were later converted to Tigray. Ppl change identity it’s part of life.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 10 Aug 2018, 06:00

Za Dengel wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 21:13
If Amara is Agaw then why do Amara call themselves Amara but not Agaw? If you weren’t emotional in this, you would have said Amara assimilated many Agaw just like Tigray assimilated many Nilotic groups and just like Agaw assimilated others, etc......

Rayya nowadays onsider themselves Tigray. galla were small ppl compared to many other Ethiopian ethnicities in the beginning of their expansion and more than half of the galla nowadays are the assimilated ones. galla say Rayya are galla who were Tigrinyized. Yes it’s true but it was few thousands galla who gallanized Agaw, Amara, Doba, Afar and Tigray there and collectively called them Rayya. But Rayya were later converted to Tigray. Ppl change identity it’s part of life.
I did not want to comment on the current situation. All what made me wonder how simplistic our views have become because everything is politics.

I never heard any Amhara or Oromo nationalist claim Raya during the famine of 1984. Of all the rebel organizations it was only TPLF that worked with OXFAM and even left territory for Derg so the red cross that was working on Derg side can have access.
Raya was in Wollo province then, but that time was actually very crucial for connection of the people and TPLF.

The epicenter of the 1st Weyannie of 1942 was also in Raya. That is why Hatse Haileslassie moved few awrajas to Wollo as punishment.

But Politics aside what if the Raya people know what their ancestry is? What if the Raya people ancestry has nothing to do with any of the "people's" claiming them on facebook?

These kind of talk comes when people are afraid that this or that territory will separate.

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 10 Aug 2018, 06:17

Axumawi wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:00
Za Dengel wrote:

I did not want to comment on the current situation. All what made me wonder how simplistic our views have become because everything is politics.

I never heard any Amhara or Oromo nationalist claim Raya during the famine of 1984. Of all the rebel organizations it was only TPLF that worked with OXFAM and even left territory for Derg so the red cross that was working on Derg side can have access.
Raya was in Wollo province then, but that time was actually very crucial for connection of the people and TPLF.

The epicenter of the 1st Weyannie of 1942 was also in Raya. That is why Hatse Haileslassie moved few awrajas to Wollo as punishment.

But Politics aside what if the Raya people know what their ancestry is? What if the Raya people ancestry has nothing to do with any of the "people's" claiming them on facebook?

These kind of talk comes when people are afraid that this or that territory will separate.
Then Rayya have the right to claim whoever that ancestry is. But it seems highly improbable that there was another ppl there in the last 500 years other than Agaw, Tigray, Doba, Amara, galla and Afar. If majority of them for example want to be Afar, then they have the right to be.

Are you worried that some Rayya recently claimed to be Amara?

Zack

Post by Zack » 10 Aug 2018, 06:23

Agews we're the kings of Abyssinia and Ethiopia agews defeated the aksumites amhara during their reign yekuno amlak annexed and assimilated allot of agews. especially in gojjaam. Back than gallaa were in Madagascar we are talking about the 9 10 century
Before the sabean cross the red sea in to north Ethiopia much of Abyssinia and Ethiopia was cushite

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 10 Aug 2018, 06:38

Za Dengel wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:17
Axumawi wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:00
Za Dengel wrote:

Then Rayya have the right to claim whoever that ancestry is. But it seems highly improbable that there was another ppl there in the last 500 years other than Agaw, Tigray, Doba, Amara, galla and Afar. If majority of them for example want to be Afar, then they have the right to be.

Are you worried that some Rayya recently claimed to be Amara?
Not at all.
Amhara and Tigre in all of Ethiopia have never had land border direct to each other. From Sudan to Afar is all Agew in between.
Some Agew by now may have lost their language, but there are at least 6 Agew dialects still in use and these dialects are from Sudan to Wollo.

The question is I have not read or heard any explanation by any of the claimants.

The Amhara cliamants argument is Raya was in Wollo province During Derg and has to be back to Wollo now.
The Oromo claimants is that the Raya dance like Oromo, the nomads dress like Oromo nomads..etc forgettting that women dress exactly like Agew dresses. Since Agew and Tigreans are not that far apart where they border in many respects including legal system local laws..the Raya dresses could have originated with Tigreans or Agew and copied by one or the other, but definitely between the two.

I have some information. Raya like every community has tribes too. Its also an area that has changed provinces the most even inside Raya itself.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 10 Aug 2018, 06:44

Zack wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:23
Agews we're the kings of Abyssinia and Ethiopia agews defeated the aksumites amhara during their reign yekuno amlak annexed and assimilated allot of agews. especially in gojjaam. Back than gallaa were in Madagascar we are talking about the 9 10 century
Before the sabean cross the red sea in to north Ethiopia much of Abyssinia and Ethiopia was cushite
Gojjam has kept its uniqueness, maybe not as strong as before, but still considers itself as unique which is left over of the past. There is also small in number languages still in use in Gojjam.
Unlike Gonder city and environs where the Oromo is dominant, the Oromo in Gojjam is quite small.

Raya has significant Agew in the accent and dialect of Tigrigna. In many cases names of utensils, tools, building materials as well.

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 10 Aug 2018, 06:51

Axumawi wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 18:30
Sadacha Macca wrote:
Actually there is a lot of Oromo and nothing that can be called Amhara in Raya culture generally, as far as I know. And what ever little that is being claimed Amhara is Agew anywhay. But who are you and I to speak of their ancestry, history, psychological make up, language...etc but most importantly what they want.
They can also be independent identity regardless from which Ethnic they came from....

People should realize that Raya are not timid, shy or cowards. Quite the opposite. Ask them is what I say.
I have/had a kind of aunt from there,enana Tsehaynesh.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 10 Aug 2018, 07:11

Degnet wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:51
Axumawi wrote:
Sadacha Macca wrote:

Do you think Raya are Amhara or Oromo? lol

Degnet

Post by Degnet » 10 Aug 2018, 07:19

Axumawi wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Degnet wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:51
Axumawi wrote:
Sadacha Macca wrote:

Do you think Raya are Amhara or Oromo? lol
I believe in one Ethiopia,the only difference is language,think of Amhara and Oromo.I have been to Addis Abeba since I was 14 years of age,fun everyone the same.

Za Dengel

Post by Za Dengel » 10 Aug 2018, 07:38

Axumawi wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:44
Zack wrote:
Gojjam has kept its uniqueness, maybe not as strong as before, but still considers itself as unique which is left over of the past. There is also small in number languages still in use in Gojjam.
Unlike Gonder city and environs where the Oromo is dominant, the Oromo in Gojjam is quite small.

Raya has significant Agew in the accent and dialect of Tigrigna. In many cases names of utensils, tools, building materials as well.
How is Oromo dominant in Gondar? There is almost no trace of galla there nowadays and even during Zemene Mesafint, only few thousands galla went there. They only dominated the court since few thousands galla didn’t had the capacity to dominate about 70,000 inhabitants of Gondar city. If you add the population of Begemder and Dembia, then the inhabitants together numbered at least 300,000.

Yeah galla in Gojjam were small but compared to Gondar, they used to be high.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 10 Aug 2018, 15:51

Za Dengel wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 07:38
Axumawi wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:44
Zack wrote:

How is Oromo dominant in Gondar? There is almost no trace of galla there nowadays and even during Zemene Mesafint, only few thousands galla went there. They only dominated the court since few thousands galla didn’t had the capacity to dominate about 70,000 inhabitants of Gondar city. If you add the population of Begemder and Dembia, then the inhabitants together numbered at least 300,000.

Yeah galla in Gojjam were small but compared to Gondar, they used to be high.
Before we discuss numbers, its always preferable to define the area we are talking about.
The reason I said Oromo were dominant is specific Gonder city and what villages that were administered with Gonder city. As you know until 1967 Gregoraian Gonder has always had a governor who is equal to the provincial governors/enderassie. That is the Gonder I have in mind and in consideration for my statement.
The Derg Gonder comprises a lot of territory that never has been called Gonder in history. Never even governed together with the city until Hatse Haileslassie combined Begemidir, Gonder and Semiyen called the new combination Begemidir and made Gonder capital of the combination.

The Oromo be it strong or weak in political power were there around power for 100 years. Since the kings were changing fastest during Oromo rulers than others, and since every new ruler brings his tribe or sub-clan then the Oromo displaced the Hamasien (half of Eritrean highlands at the time called by this name) then even the Agew and others as numbers.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 14 Aug 2018, 20:48

Are Raya people Amhara or Oromo Biher?