Ethiopian News and Opinion Forum

Kenenisa Bekele vs. Mo Farah - showdown at the Great North Run

Postby MINILIK SALSAWI » 15 Sep 2013, 07:42

Kenenisa Bekele held off a late charge from Mo Farah to win a thrilling Great North Run on Sunday.

The Ethiopian, running his first competitive half marathon, made the break with a mile to go on the course across Newcastle and South Shields and looked to be heading for a comfortable win.

But the double Olympic and world champion began to chase down the leader over the last 400 metres and was on the heels of Bekele as the finishing line approached but was unable to find the extra speed needed to pass his opponent.

Close winner: Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele celebrates winning the 2013 BUPA Great North Run, having just edged Mo Farah

That left Bekele to cross the line first in an unofficial time of 60 minutes and eight seconds, with Farah just one second down.

Distance great Haile Gebrselassie was third.

Close contest: Mo Farah chased Bekele down over the last 400 metres but fell just short of victory

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... z2exdp1kzx

Re: Brilliant Kenenisa Bekele fights off sprint finish from Farah to edge Great North Run in just over an hour

Postby Yakume » 15 Sep 2013, 07:47

Yes, but remember, the actual winner is the Horn of Africa Nation. Both Farah and Bekele are from Ethiopia

Kenenisa Bekele beats Mo Farah in dramatic Great North Run finale

Postby revelations » 15 Sep 2013, 14:44

• Ethiopian pipped Farah to finish in 1hr 0min 8sec
• Farah one second behind with Haile Gebrselassie third

James Riach at South Shields
The Guardian, Sunday 15 September 2013

Ethiopa's Kenenisa Bekele wins the Great North Run ahead of Great Britain's Mo Farah. Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

Kenenisa Bekele could feel Mo Farah bearing down on him like a hawk swooping in for the kill. This time, however, the prey outfoxed the predator.

There was to be no glorious finale for Farah in his first attempt at a half-marathon yet Great Britain's Olympic champion can take solace from the fact that he was beaten here by one of the finest long-distance runners of the modern era. One second was the mere gap that separated Bekele and Farah in the 32nd Great North Run, but the Ethiopian timed it beautifully.

He fought his way through the fierce Tyneside wind to finish in 1hr 00min 09sec, with his compatriot Haile Gebrselassie, who set the pace for the majority of the race, third in 1:00.41. For Gebrselassie it was one more record to add to his stellar career, running the fastest half-marathon ever recorded by a man aged 40 or over.

Farah set a new British record but missed out on a glorious victory by a matter of yards. As he clawed Bekele's lead back over the final 400m it felt as if a denouement to rival last year's 5,000m and 10,000m Olympic triumphs was on the cards. But if Farah's ace in the pack is his sublime sprint finish, Bekele played his joker midway through the race.

Dropping 25m behind Farah and Gebrselassie at the halfway point, it appeared Bekele was struggling on account of a foot injury that has hindered his progress this year. So it seemed, at least, before he rejoined the pack with remarkable ease and accelerated away from his rivals with one mile remaining.

"I thought I had it," said Farah afterwards. But little did he know that Bekele's decision to drop off was a cunning ruse intended to increase the pace of the leaders and allow him to finish with a flurry. "If he had come to the front with us, he thought we might have slowed the pace down," said Farah. "So [his plan] definitely did work. I was telling Haile: 'the gap's not enough'."

Bekele said: "It's amazing. This time my injury is over, I'm getting better and have recovered. I trained well and in the end I did it."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/s ... -north-run
Last edited by revelations on 15 Sep 2013, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Brilliant Kenenisa Bekele fights off sprint finish from Farah to edge Great North Run in just over an hour

Postby Ethoash » 15 Sep 2013, 15:49

Yakume wrote:Yes, but remember, the actual winner is the Horn of Africa Nation. Both Farah and Bekele are from Ethiopia

Yes, both might be from the same place, but the actual winner is Farah, do u know how much he is going to make? By end of his careers he might be worth 200million while mr.Brilliant Kenenisa worth only 10million dollars..

Why the difference because Farah run for British mr.Brilliant Kenenisa run for poorest nation on earth.

If mr. Brilliant Kenenisa, can trun around this all he as to do is hold the host country flag and Ethiopia flag and run victory lap..this way u can run for each country u r running if u r in French u fly French flag with Ethiopia flag.. This way when mr. Farah limited only to one country mr.Brilliant Kenenisa become world brand.

Watch mr. Farrah fake smile

Postby Yakume » 15 Sep 2013, 17:16

Ethoash wrote:
Yakume wrote:Yes, but remember, the actual winner is the Horn of Africa Nation. Both Farah and Bekele are from Ethiopia

Yes, both might be from the same place, but the actual winner is Farah, do u know how much he is going to make? By end of his careers he might be worth 200million while mr.Brilliant Kenenisa worth only 10million dollars..

Why the difference because Farah run for British mr.Brilliant Kenenisa run for poorest nation on earth.

If mr. Brilliant Kenenisa, can trun around this all he as to do is hold the host country flag and Ethiopia flag and run victory lap..this way u can run for each country u r running if u r in French u fly French flag with Ethiopia flag.. This way when mr. Farah limited only to one country mr.Brilliant Kenenisa become world brand.

Ethoash aka Somalilander aka Somali-Ethio, what do you mean with "why the difference because Farah run for British mr.Brilliant Kenenisa run for poorest nation on earth"?

Postby Ethoash » 15 Sep 2013, 17:42

Yakume wrote:
Ethoash wrote:

Ethoash aka Somalilander aka Somali-Ethio, what do you mean with "why the difference because Farah run for British mr.Brilliant Kenenisa run for poorest nation on earth"?

I thought I answe that question. Both Farah and Kenenisa get wining money.in this case Kenenisa get $100,000 and Farah get $50,000 that all for mr.Kenenisa...on the other hand mr. Farah make his million dollars by advertising in Britsh TV and print...

The money is in adversistment not on wining money.

So mr.Kenenisa captured this advertisement money if he know what to do...

Late say he run in Britsh ...that means British is a host country... Million of Britsh watching u..then u hold Britsh flag and Ethiopian flag and run a victory lap.. As of now they run victory lap with Ethiopian flag...all u have to do is add the Britsh flag this will be our trade mark...when ever Ethiopia run they hold the host and Ethiopia flag this way u win the mind and the heart of million people.

Now u run in Swiss u fly Swiss flag
The another day
When Meseret Defar wins 5000m woman's Diamond League race in Zurich some one offer her Swiss flag for her to sing she push it over..because she doesn't want to sing the flag I know it is out of respect but imgine if she took photo with her fun holding Swiss flag they would have been the best marketing event.

The more people love u the more pay for ur advertisement

Re: Kenenisa Bekele vs. Mo Farah - showdown at the Great North Run

Postby Kara » 15 Sep 2013, 17:48

I HAD TO WRITE THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TO RUNNING, THERE ARE ONLY 3 GREATEST AND MOST BEAUTIFUL RUNNERS.

IF YOU HAD BEEN A RUNNER OR KNOW ABOUT RUNNING, YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

IT IS CALLED 'FORM'. THESE THREE ARE ABEBE BIKILA, KENENISA BEKELE AND TIRUNESH DIBABA.

ETHIOPIA HAS PRODUCED MANY, MANY GOOD RUNNERS AND GREAT WINNERS LIKE HAILE. BUT RUNNING IS NOT ONLY FAST MOTION OF THE BODY. THERE IS FAST RUNNING. THERE IS BEAUTIFUL FAST RUNNING.

SO, TODAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR ETHIOPIA NOT BECAUSE KENENISA BEAT FARA, BUT ETHIOPIA REGAINED ONE HER MOST BEAUTIFUL RUNNERS EVER LIVED AFTER ABEBE.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT I MEAN SEE THE 2003 RUN BETWEEN KENENISA AND HAILE. THEN YOU WILL APPRECIATE WHAT RUNNING STYLE IS ALL ABOUT.

BOSTON GLOBE DESCRIBED TIRUNESH AS SOUNDLESS WIND, TELLING ABOUT HER SMOOTHNESS.

MESERET IS LIKE HAILE, HARD RUNNER BUT NO BEAUTY.

WELCOME BACK KENENISA!!!!

Look at the angle of the body in relation to the kick, look at how they carry their hands and motion of the hands, look at how Haile sticks out his chest -bad style, look at the position and drop their shoulder - nobody runs like Kenenisa. Like a gifted singer and dancer, he is natural,,,,

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion