Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

Re: Dessie = Desta Yohannes

Postby ILike » 16 Mar 2013, 22:08

Too many wild claims. Dessie comes from the Amharic word "das", meaning temporary shalter. So, dassie means my shelter in Amharic. Remember, before the oromo expansion and immigration into these area, wollo's original name was "Bete Amhara". Nowadays some expansionist Oromos are going wild with their claims. They would claim any word as Oromo, even if that word has clearly semetic origins. They claim for example any word that starts with Aba. But Aba, or Abat has its roots clearly in semetic languages but they would claim it as oromo anyways. The same goes for Das. Das is not oromo word but it was adapted by oromo from Amahric. Now they claim it as if it came from Oromo. There are many freaking crazy claims of words that they originally adopted from Amahric and that are clearly of semetic origin but they want us to believe that the word is oromo origin. They are going very wild these days if you ask me.

Behind all these claims lies a confused philosophy of some oromos that say Amharas, Tigreans, Agews the Axumite Empire or anything and everything that has happened in Ethiopia is oromo origin, which is ofcourse BS!

Postby Dejazmch of Tigrai » 16 Mar 2013, 22:13

ILike wrote:Too many wild claims. Dessie comes from the Amharic word "das", meaning temporary shalter. So, dassie means my shelter in Amharic. Remember, before the oromo expansion and immigration into these area, wollo's original name was "Bete Amhara". Nowadays some expansionist Oromos are going wild with their claims. They would claim any word as Oromo, even if that word has clearly semetic origins. They claim for example any word that starts with Aba. But Aba, or Abat has its roots clearly in semetic languages but they would claim it as oromo anyways. The same goes for Das. Das is not oromo word but it was adapted by oromo from Amahric. Now they claim it as if it came from Oromo. There are many freaking crazy claims of words that they originally adopted from Amahric and that are clearly of semetic origin but they want us to believe that the word is oromo origin. They are going very wild these days if you ask me.

Behind all these claims lies a confused philosophy of some oromos that say Amharas, Tigreans, Agews the Axumite Empire or anything and everything that has happened in Ethiopia is oromo origin, which is ofcourse BS!

that's bull crap, Dessie was named for the first time by Atse Yohaness of Enderta the great period

Postby ILike » 16 Mar 2013, 22:19

Dejazmch of Tigrai wrote:that's bull crap, Dessie was named for the first time by Atse Yohaness of Enderta the great period

Yohaness was known for his killing and massacre of civilians in Wollo not for building or founding anything. Spare me with your teret teret please.

Postby EmbaSoira » 16 Mar 2013, 23:06

Yballo and I like,

Since Wollo was amhara from the begining and Dessie (my das) sounds amharic and dasey (my das) sounds tigrigna, I think the amharas named the city. But Oromos and Amharas have long history of living side by side, hence it does not matter. I bet ya kahsay mircha has nothing to do with naming Dessie. He is wanted for crime he had committed over there. :lol: :lol:

Ybello,

Seriously, aside from Tigrigna, the values and cultures of highland Eritrea resembles much more wello than tigray. The palm trees, the moslem and chrisitan women in their respective traditional clothing and their interaction, the respect for truth , the loyalty to each other and so on. If you are in dessie (I visited the city once in my childhood..we drove through the city ) it is as if you are in keren, Asmara, Mendefera or Dekemhare. We also had some good friends from Wollo.

Wedi_Ere

Postby yaballo » 16 Mar 2013, 23:18

Ilike says:

Remember, before the oromo expansion and immigration into these area, wollo's original name was "Bete Amhara". Nowadays some expansionist Oromos are going wild with their claims.

Yes, Ilike. More, before "Bete Amhara", its possible that Wollo may have had an "Agaw' or 'Shankila' names that reflected the original settlers of these localities. We don't know yet.

Also, "Bete Amhara" may not apply to the whole of Wollo but to the districts populated by ethnic Amhara (eg. Lasta). Note that only a relatively small segment of Wollo bears Oromo-sounding names. Same for Tigrai's "Raaya na Azebo" district. There is a "Raaya na Qobbo" district just south of Tigrai's "Raaya na Azebo" area. The "Raaya" were clearly Oromo & it is logical for us to find Oromo-sounding names here.

For example, there is a place called "Borana-Sa'int" in Wollo & clearly this suggests that an Oromo clan that bore the name "Borana" settled in this area. I suspect that "Borana Sa'int" was previously known as "Amhara Sa'int". Maybe the two names are still used interchangeably. Though many communities in these formerly Oromo-speaking districts no longer use Afaan Oromo (Amahric prevailed), still some expressions in Afaan Oromo pepper the Amharic spoken by people in these districts of Wollo. If you have a chance, listen to a popular Wollo song called "laale guma". The language in this song is in effect an Amharic-Oromo guramayle. One can clearly discern how the two languages & cultures fussed to transform the cultural landscape of these parts of Wollo. Interestingly, the oromo words used in "laale-guma" are very close to the Borana dialect of southern Ethiopia than to the dialects spoken say in central Oromo regions.

"Laale-guma", of course is an Oromo term & here is its rough translation. ["laale" = "eyew" or "ayehu"; guma = could be a "habt", as in a possession, or "wurs" (inheritance). All together; laale-guma means "habt-ayehu" or "wurs-ayehu", or something similar].

Oh, calm down. Most Oromos are decent citizens [ me for example :mrgreen: ] & have NO territorial claim on the brotherly Amhara people. We just want our history, culture & language to be acknowledged as an integral part of Ethiopia's multicultural heritage.

Dej Aklilu:

Yes, its Gulo zaff! Qobbo = Gulo. Hori buli (yo boorena "miriqat" neow).

Postby Difabachew » 16 Mar 2013, 23:31

yaballo wrote:Ilike says:

Remember, before the oromo expansion and immigration into these area, wollo's original name was "Bete Amhara". Nowadays some expansionist Oromos are going wild with their claims.

Yes, Ilike. More, before "Bete Amhara", its possible that Wollo may have had an "Agaw' or 'Shankila' names that reflected the original settlers of these localities. We don't know yet.

Also, "Bete Amhara" may not apply to the whole of Wollo but to the districts populated by ethnic Amhara (eg. Lasta). Note that only a relatively small segment of Wollo bears Oromo-sounding names. Same for Tigrai's "Raaya na Azebo" district. There is a "Raaya na Qobbo" district just south of Tigrai's "Raaya na Azebo" area. The "Raaya" were clearly Oromo & it is logical for us to find Oromo-sounding names here.

For example, there is a place called "Borana-Sa'int" in Wollo & clearly this suggests that an Oromo clan that bore the name "Borana" settled in this area. I suspect that "Borana Sa'int" was previously known as "Amhara Sa'int". Maybe the two names are still used interchangeably. Though many communities in these formerly Oromo-speaking districts no longer use Afaan Oromo (Amahric prevailed), still some expressions in Afaan Oromo pepper the Amharic spoken by people in these districts of Wollo. If you have a chance, listen to a popular Wollo song called "laale guma". The language in this song is in effect an Amharic-Oromo guramayle. One can clearly discern how the two languages & cultures fussed to transform the cultural landscape of these parts of Wollo. Interestingly, the oromo words used in "laale-guma" are very close to the Borana dialect of southern Ethiopia than to the dialects spoken say in central Oromo regions.

"Laale-guma", of course is an Oromo term & here is its rough translation. ["laale" = "eyew" or "ayehu"; guma = could be a "habt", as in a possession, or "wurs" (inheritance). All together; laale-guma means "habt-ayehu" or "wurs-ayehu", or something similar].

Oh, calm down. Most Oromos are decent citizens [ me for example :mrgreen: ] & have NO territorial claim on the brotherly Amhara people. We just want our history, culture & language to be acknowledged as an integral part of Ethiopia's multicultural heritage.

Dej Aklilu:

let me take you this way: what does Welega, Neqemt, Shoa, Finfine, Arusi, etc mean in Oromigna. if you cann't find the meaning, then you are going to relinquish them.

Postby EmbaSoira » 16 Mar 2013, 23:31

Ybello, through our Eritrean Billen brothers and sisters we have a connection to wello too. listen to the song on 1:10 does laley bolla mean anything to you ...

Wedi_Ere

Postby Difabachew » 16 Mar 2013, 23:34

yaballo wrote:Ilike says:

Dej Aklilu:

that is why you are mixing thing up, sir

Postby Difabachew » 16 Mar 2013, 23:38

EmbaSoira wrote:Ybello, through our Eritrean Billen brothers and sisters we have a connection to wello too. listen to the song on 1:10 does laley bolla mean anything to you ...

Wedi_Ere

emba, do you know who is aba shawul?

Postby EmbaSoira » 16 Mar 2013, 23:46

Dfabachew,

From what I heard, Aba Shawul was a Jewish resident in Asmara. Actually, a lot of Jewish were given refuge in Eritrea all the way through the 1920's. The oldest Jewish temple in Africa is located in Asmara.

Wedi_Ere

Previous Page Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion