Ethiopian News and Opinion Forum

Ethiopia is the 2nd poorest country on Earth - UN

Postby Silk Da Shocker » 10 Aug 2010, 15:46

Top 10 Poorest countries of the World

As of 2010, Ethiopia is the second poorest country on this planet.

According to the Oxford University, in collaboration with the United Nations, 90% of Ethiopians live in utter poverty. The study added 39% of Ethiopians live on less than $1.25 a day and a staggering 61.5% of Ethiopians are deprived of adequate education.

90% Living In Poverty
39% Living On At Least $1.25 A Day
61.5% Deprived Of Adequate Schooling

Top 10 Poorest countries of the World
Last edited by Silk Da Shocker on 04 Jan 2011, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ethiopia is the 2nd poorest country on Earth - UN

Postby revolutions » 10 Aug 2010, 18:11

Congratulations Woyanes !
Your Image economic policy has achieved its objective.

Sadly, of the 25 poorest countries researchers surveyed, 24 are located in Africa.
Last edited by revolutions on 10 Aug 2010, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Postby YeSat-Nebelbal » 10 Aug 2010, 19:00

This does not count. The Huffington report is a liberal report that is left leaning, and it is their duty to say something like that, in order to please their left friend to the North. The fact is there are several African countries that are poorer than Ethiopia, I mean dirt poor. Countries like Djibouti, DRC (Congo), Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Uganda, Angola, Mozambique, and Gambia,... etc The last time we heard Ethiopia is on major construction boom, and almost everyone has a job, and our economy has been growing 8.5% Avg. for the past seven of the last ten years, and 11.5 Avg. for the past three years.

So, I do not believe the report, I am not saying Woyanne's flawed economic report is not inaccurate, but its not as bad as the Huffington report paints it. In fact, I would argue that Woyanne has better command of Ethiopian economy than Shabia over Eritrean economy. If you say three years down the road, I would agree that Eritrea has the chance to fix many of the structural problem and currency shortages, but at the moment Ethiopia has a better economic stand than Eritrea does. Woyanne has printed currency en-mass to pay government workers, while EFFORT takes all the contracts in Ethiopian major projects financed by IMF and WB, but as far as the current condition Woyanne has upper hand over Eritrea's economic successes.

Silk Da Shocker wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/03/the-10-poorest-countries_n_668537.html#s121683

According to the Oxford University, in collaboration with the United Nations, 90% of Ethiopians live in utter poverty. The study added 39% of Ethiopians live on less than $1.25 a day and a staggering 61.5% of Ethiopians are deprived of adequate education.

90% Living In Poverty

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/0 ... ml#s121683

Postby Daniel » 10 Aug 2010, 19:21

YeSat-Nebelbal,

This does not count. The Huffington report is a liberal report that is left leaning, and it is their duty to say something like that, in order to please their left friend to the North. The fact is there are several African countries that are poorer than Ethiopia, I mean dirt poor. Countries like Djibouti, DRC (Congo), Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Uganda, Angola, Mozambique, and Gambia

Huffington did not conduct the assessment or the report. It only published the results conducted by Oxford U and the UN.

I think you have to keep in mind what measure and criteria the authors of the study used in their evaluation. Unlike most other other poverty assessment I have seen so far, this one takes in more than reported economic data. It takes into account qualitative (as opposed to just quantitative) on top of quantitative measurements. A 10% economic growth means nothing if for whatever reasons a large part of the population lives below the poverty line without sufficient access to clean water and medical treatment.

Postby Eritrean » 10 Aug 2010, 20:58

YeSat-Nebelbal wrote:This does not count. The Huffington report is a liberal report that is left leaning, and it is their duty to say something like that, in order to please their left friend to the North. The fact is there are several African countries that are poorer than Ethiopia, I mean dirt poor. Countries like Djibouti, DRC (Congo), Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Uganda, Angola, Mozambique, and Gambia,... etc The last time we heard Ethiopia is on major construction boom, and almost everyone has a job, and our economy has been growing 8.5% Avg. for the past seven of the last ten years, and 11.5 Avg. for the past three years.

So, I do not believe the report, I am not saying Woyanne's flawed economic report is not inaccurate, but its not as bad as the Huffington report paints it. In fact, I would argue that Woyanne has better command of Ethiopian economy than Shabia over Eritrean economy. If you say three years down the road, I would agree that Eritrea has the chance to fix many of the structural problem and currency shortages, but at the moment Ethiopia has a better economic stand than Eritrea does. Woyanne has printed currency en-mass to pay government workers, while EFFORT takes all the contracts in Ethiopian major projects financed by IMF and WB, but as far as the current condition Woyanne has upper hand over Eritrea's economic successes.

Silk Da Shocker wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/03/the-10-poorest-countries_n_668537.html#s121683

90% Living In Poverty

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/0 ... ml#s121683

You are retarded patriotic, Angola is a rich country while Ethiopia is probably the poorest country in the world and the dirtiest country in Africa.

Postby }:-{] » 10 Aug 2010, 21:10

Somalia 6 Ethiopia 2
Somalia: no government for over 20 years, Ethiopia: Weyane government for almost 20 years
Amazing

Postby revolutions » 10 Aug 2010, 21:15

If the millions of dollars foreign investors are raking in Ethiopia continues to be exported out of the country and there's no money left to be circulated in the country's economy, there's no money at the top that could trickle down to the bottom to create what economists call a "multiplier effect." And sadly, the millions of dollars exported out of the country is added on to Ethiopia's GDP to give the illusion of an "economic growth" when the opposite is true, or like the R&B Star Jay Z says, "... what you eat don't make me sh*t !.." :D

Another sad thing is that there are some Ethiopians who are mislead into seeing the construction of World Bank funded high rise buildings in the capital as a sign of "economic growth", totally oblivious to the repercussions of World Bank's economic policies that produce new debt for Ethiopians. Nowhere is this more vividly demonstrated than in the Philippines when the World Bank and IMF's economic policies constructed hundreds of high rise buildings, power plants, sweat shops, etc.... during the 1980's, and the people of Philippines thought they were seeing "economic growth" and many of them we misled to support the brutal dictatorship of the notorious Ferdinand Marcos.

20 years later and Ferdinand Marcos overthrown, the Philippines spend almost half of its national budget paying just the interest on debt owed to the World Bank, compared with just 3% for health care services for its citizens. As a result of the World Bank and IMF's economic policies millions of people in the Philippines lost their jobs, and that means millions of children are living in the streets.

Does that sound familiar ?

Half a million homeless children are currently living in the streets of Addis Ababa.... and the lucky ones may get to sleep on sidewalks adjacent to the newly built high rise buildings and dream of better days ahead that will never come, and the unlucky ones ... they sleep in sewers.

So much for an "economic growth" bull crap !

Postby revolutions » 10 Aug 2010, 22:38

}:-{] wrote:Somalia 6 Ethiopia 2
Somalia: no government for over 20 years, Ethiopia: Weyane government for almost 20 years
Amazing

The UN said, Somalia without a functioning government is doing better than Ethiopia under woyane's brutal occupation. Ain't that something !

Postby Gurezza » 10 Aug 2010, 23:14

as usuall the rag tag somalians bit the [deleted] :D :D . The AZMARI tigryan woyanes praching us day and night about "double digit" score. :D :D

Postby Aragaw » 10 Aug 2010, 23:16

Ethiopia is the 2nd poorest country on Earth - UN

So what? That doesn't make Eritrea the richest country on Earth. We know were are poor. We don't need shabias constant reminder. You should be concerned about your own nation. Don't act as if your own people live in paradise. You get orgy whenever there is a negative news about Ethiopia. News that goes against Ethiopia is not a successes to Eritrea.

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion