Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

One of the top priorities of the new PM, Abey Ahmed, should be stopping the Ethiopian Brain-Drain

Postby DefendTheTruth » 17 Apr 2018, 16:42

We have already discussed about the role of a quality education in the development of a country in this forum already. But the role of discussion remains discussion, hot air. Doesn't move a minute thing an inch forward.

I heard PM Abey Ahmed talked about paying due attention to quality education. The new PM and all concerned policy makers should make their priority about cutting the devastating brain-drain that has taken hold of our country, in my view.

After I listened about the story of this brilliant student, perhaps a teenager, I was amazed about how many such students our country must have lost to external beneficiaries, at its own cost.

Four top American universities have reportedly offered him a scholarship, that is great, but are they also guarantying that this young man would also return back home and serve his country, or do they have their own agenda in offering the scholarship?

Offering scholar-ship is one thing, insuring that the student also serve the people and the country where he/she is needed most is totally another thing.

Ethiopian government should make its priority that the most brilliant students in the country offered the needed facility in their own home country where they can pursue their dreams and being enabled to give back to the society that helped them achieve what they have achieved so far.

phpBB [video]

Re: One of the top priorities of the new PM, Abey Ahmed, should be stopping the Ethiopian Brain-Drain

Postby Ethoash » 17 Apr 2018, 17:40

DDT,

R U the product of Derg?

how on earth u going to stop those student who want to go to USA... SECOND how in hell u guaranty this guy come back and help out.. this guy is free to go any where he want ...if he want to come back he is most welcome but u cant tell him SHT..

In fact there is no such thing as brain-drain... look America received 100,000 Ethiopians out of those refugee 90,000 become taxi driver and parking lot attendant .. the rest go to collage but they dont mount anything ...if USA for supporting 100,000 loser Ethiopian if we give them one intelligent guy i dont see it as brain-drain

there r other who goes to USA and got education and come back and help out this way we r benefited from brain-drain out of 100 student even if one or two of them come back and help out that would be a lot of help... but if u keep all 100 of them in Ethiopia u would not get those two would have come back and help out... it is not the number matter .. it is the quality

Ethiopia have 4 million refugee out of that we have only one Al Amoudi and look what this one man doing ...

Re: One of the top priorities of the new PM, Abey Ahmed, should be stopping the Ethiopian Brain-Drain

Postby DefendTheTruth » Yesterday, 15:40

Ethoash wrote:DDT,

R U the product of Derg?

how on earth u going to stop those student who want to go to USA... SECOND how in hell u guaranty this guy come back and help out.. this guy is free to go any where he want ...if he want to come back he is most welcome but u cant tell him SHT..

In fact there is no such thing as brain-drain... look America received 100,000 Ethiopians out of those refugee 90,000 become taxi driver and parking lot attendant .. the rest go to collage but they dont mount anything ...if USA for supporting 100,000 loser Ethiopian if we give them one intelligent guy i dont see it as brain-drain

there r other who goes to USA and got education and come back and help out this way we r benefited from brain-drain out of 100 student even if one or two of them come back and help out that would be a lot of help... but if u keep all 100 of them in Ethiopia u would not get those two would have come back and help out... it is not the number matter .. it is the quality

Ethiopia have 4 million refugee out of that we have only one Al Amoudi and look what this one man doing ...

Ethioashtray,

why don't you try to teach even those two students that would going to come back to serve the country after finishing their education abroad yourself? Why don't you aspire to own a home-grown knowledge? If not now, when is this going to happen? Why do we need to wait, if you mean it would happen at sometime in the future?

You were affraid of talent when you violentely usurped state power and you remained the same till this day, after more than a quarter of a century? Is that by accident or by design??

Postby Degnet » Yesterday, 15:57

First be happy of the opportunities he has got then hope there will be a better government by the time he has finished school.he is not the first or the last brilliant Ethiopian student.Though admirable.

Postby Dawi » Yesterday, 21:31

Ethoash wrote:how on earth u going to stop those student who want to go to USA... SECOND how in hell u guaranty this guy come back and help out.. this guy is free to go any where he want ...if he want to come back he is most welcome but u cant tell him SHT..In fact there is no such thing as brain-drain... look America received 100,000 Ethiopians out of those refugee 90,000 become taxi driver and parking lot attendant .. the rest go to collage but they dont mount anything ...if USA for supporting 100,000 loser Ethiopian if we give them one intelligent guy i dont see it as brain-drain

Ethoash likes to trash taxi drivers & parking lot attendants. Those are transitional jobs for Americans but, we immigrants seem to hold on to them too long because of some barriers to find other jobs; I have a friend with PHD in Biology that drives the METRO bus; he makes more money in that than he did working as a researcher at the University.

Can Dr. Abiy pay him more or build him a lab as the Chinese do as incentives? Not in this GTP! :P For now his destiny is to drive the bus until he retires.

The number of those leaving China outnumbered those returning by more than four to one in 2000.

By 2013 things changed; 17 were coming back for every 20 that left.

To attract top scholars back to China, they offered a $160,000 relocation package and up to $1.6 million to set up laboratories.

Dr. Abiy can reinstate the offering of land to build a house; tax free car for those who move back on a one to one bases to cut those who get involved in used car business.

There was a recent YouTube Fana discussion of a Diaspora group that I found interesting.

I am sure some more incentives shall be offered by this Administration.

Postby Ethoash » Yesterday, 22:50

i always enjoy reading your comment in sea of hate...

u see u dont need money to be an entrepreneur... u told me ur buddy is friend with PHD in Biology who is working as a researcher at the University... u did not tell me what kind of biology filed he is doing research but he could have ask the University to give him old an unwanted lab equipment and set up his own lab in Ethiopia ... u have to know how to turn ur research in to business if u dont know that then keep on driving that matro bus...

here is an example researcher with entrepreneur idea.. this researcher telling us how to farm insect so that we can fed ourself

phpBB [video]

here is useless

phpBB [video]

here is another Dr. who took hair cut

phpBB [video]

now watch this Dr. he did reaserch on ማሽላ and found improved ማሽላ seed.. and this improved seed can produce more and improved the poor farmer life.. the question is is Dr. Laureate: Gebisa Ejeta Brain-Drain or Brain gain .. yes he was Brain-Drain when he was studying in USA AND WORK in Sudan but when time is right he come back home and serving mama Ethiopia all we need is one this kind of people out of 100,000

phpBB [video]

i was always joking about those taxi driver and parking lot lord .. they r funny to me they mock PMHD job while they driving taxi or working as doorman at the hotel... that is the reason i am mocking them otherwise it is not a sin to be taxi driver the only thing is instead of wasting their time they could have pool their money and invest in Ethiopia by now they would have been very rich if they had invested their money.. think about in Dc alone there are 20,000 taxi driver if each of them pool 1000 dollar that would be 20 million dollar 30 years ago by now they would have worth 200 million if not billion of dollar .... what stop them is they dont trust each other and they drinking like there is no tomorrow not being rich WHILE SETTING In USA IS A CRIME ...

Postby Dawi » Today, 01:30

Ethoash wrote:i always enjoy reading your comment in sea of hate...u see u dont need money to be an entrepreneur... u told me ur buddy is friend with PHD in Biology who is working as a researcher at the University... u did not tell me what kind of biology filed he is doing research but he could have ask the University to give him old an unwanted lab equipment and set up his own lab in Ethiopia ... u have to know how to turn ur research in to business if u dont know that then keep on driving that matro bus...

Thanks Ethoash -

I agree we can all be innovative as well; at the level of Prof. Gebisa Ejeta and others like him, guessing "Defend" had those people in mind, we can't pay them enough or as you pointed out, can't stop them from going abroad. In the first place, they're driven on their own and may even bring their own research funding as Prof. Gebisa does, to do research back home. BTW, that young man Defend talked about has a plan of coming back already if one listened to his interview.

As far as you trashing "parking lot guys", please continue to do that; for some I know, with Masters Degree [maybe from Russia! so what?] under their belt, done "parking" for decades. What is up with that? :oops:

So, no one with a high aspiration gets offended by your jab; many probably need that as a push!

Don't take me wrong; the "99,000" taxi drivers, parking attendants data you made up, cracked me up as usual; in fact, that is why I responded to this post. I like Defend but, I pick posts if I see your name on it; because you always come up with out the box ideas. Keep doing that please!

So, in fact it is good you're challenging folks to do something better Or not to go below their size; it is cool with me; I do mean it from the bottom of my heart!

Actually my bus driver friend was burnt out as a science research worker; he wasn't driven in the science to find some thing new anyway; only making a living doing it as a job. That bus driving job, not only paid more when he started, I didn't tell you that, he is now a bus base chief making 6 figures income. He is a good people's person, the bus driving has turned into a career for him now.

Cheers!

PS> I have yet to see the first video you posted; I have seen the others. Prof. Ejeta is a tower of a man in that picture; isn't he? :P

Ethoash wrote:i always enjoy reading your comment in sea of hate...

phpBB [video]

now watch this Dr. he did reaserch on ማሽላ and found improved ማሽላ seed.. and this improved seed can produce more and improved the poor farmer life.. the question is is Dr. Laureate: Gebisa Ejeta Brain-Drain or Brain gain .. yes he was Brain-Drain when he was studying in USA AND WORK in Sudan but when time is right he come back home and serving mama Ethiopia all we need is one this kind of people out of 100,000

phpBB [video]

i was always joking about those taxi driver and parking lot lord .. they r funny to me they mock PMHD job while they driving taxi or working as doorman at the hotel... that is the reason i am mocking them otherwise it is not a sin to be taxi driver the only thing is instead of wasting their time they could have pool their money and invest in Ethiopia by now they would have been very rich if they had invested their money.. think about in Dc alone there are 20,000 taxi driver if each of them pool 1000 dollar that would be 20 million dollar 30 years ago by now they would have worth 200 million if not billion of dollar .... what stop them is they dont trust each other and they drinking like there is no tomorrow not being rich WHILE SETTING In USA IS A CRIME ...

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion