Follow us on Facebook -
Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

KENYA has signed a power purchase deal with Ethiopia

Postby Minelik » 03 Mar 2012, 10:16

Saturday, 03 March 2012 00:15 BY STAR REPORTER AND PPS

KENYA has signed a power purchase deal with Ethiopia for the import of 400mw annually from the Addis government President Kibaki said on Thursday. He said the agreement is a good achievement that shows the interdependency of the two countries in the pursuit of the socio-economic development of their people. He cited limited infrastructural connectivity and low level of energy availability as some of the major challenges to the enhancement of trade between the two countries.

Speaking at a state banquet in honour of the visiting Ethiopian Premier Meles Zenawi at a Nairobi hotel, the President commended the Ethiopian Government for initiating hydro power generation projects beneficial to the region. On the Lamu Port-South Sudan-Ethiopia Transport Corridor, President Kibaki said the project recognises that good ports, roads and railway networks can unlock the huge untapped economic potential of the sub region.

The Head of State expressed gratitude that Kenya and Ethiopia have, over the last one year taken concrete measures to enhance bilateral relations by signing a bilateral trade agreement. “I am certain that we can facilitate increased trade by working closely within the COMESA framework as well as the Bilateral Trade Agreement”, said the President.

Meles Zenawi reassured that the relationship between Kenya and Ethiopia was so firm that even the change of government and ideological differences could not make a difference. The Prime Minister reaffirmed that Ethiopia will work with other countries in the sub region to bring tangible development.

Zenawi later visited the Olkaria geothermal plant where he was conducted on a tour by Energy Minister Kiraitu Murungi Kiraitu said that geothermal production in the country will hit 5,000mw by 2020 noting that geothermal power is the only solution of addressing high power demand in the country.

He said geothermal production would double from the current 250mw to 500mw in two years. “Kenya is the leading producer of geothermal in Africa and we plan to explore more so that we can generate 5,00 mega watts by 2020,” said Kiraitu. Kiraitu however said high cost of geothermal production posed a major challenge to private entrepreneurs.

He said lack of enough geothermal engineers is also a drawback. “It costs US dollars5 million to drill one well and you may end up hitting a dry well though the Geothermal Development Company has come up to address this through early exploration,” he said. Kengen MD Eddy Njoroge said that they would collaborate with Ethiopia on geothermal exploration. “We are currently importing 400mw of hydro-power from Ethiopian and we want to venture into their country and exploit their geothermal,”

Re: KENYA has signed a power purchase deal with Ethiopia

Postby dahlak » 03 Mar 2012, 11:10

CONGRA. BUCHLAW
EVERYTHING IN ETHIOPIA IS FOR SELL

Postby Hamassien » 05 Mar 2012, 23:05

Some one please explain, how in the heck a country like Ethiopia who is currently keeping 95% of it's own population in total darkness going to export mega watts to another a s s backward nation with no infrastructure to support the idea? Now please think and reason before you open your dog given loud, fast talking mouth. I am not interested in street talk but I am interested in reason and logic.

Give it a try and show the world and us eritreans how bright the idea is. I understand that you might think I am been condecending but I am not. I am addressing the topic simply because you have posted it thinking we will envy you for your success. To the contrary, if the idea is bright and could improve life's in Africa I say bravo but as I see it for now it is an idea born with a total moron. Please prove me wrong!

Postby Minelik » 05 Mar 2012, 23:10

Hamassien wrote:Some one please explain, how in the heck a country like Ethiopia who is currently keeping 95% of it's own population in total darkness going to export mega watts to another a s s backward nation with no infrastructure to support the idea? Now please think and reason before you open your dog given loud, fast talking mouth. I am not interested in street talk but I am interested in reason and logic.

Give it a try and show the world and us eritreans how bright the idea is. I understand that you might think I am been condecending but I am not. I am addressing the topic simply because you have posted it thinking we will envy you for your success. To the contrary, if the idea is bright and could improve life's in Africa I say bravo but as I see it for now it is an idea born with a total moron. Please prove me wrong!

woqaw green eyed shabbo stfu!

Postby YeSat-Nebelbal » 05 Mar 2012, 23:27

Minelik wrote:KENYA has signed a power purchase deal with Ethiopia

They will pay with chicken and goats.

Postby Gurage » 06 Mar 2012, 00:02

Forget the Tigryan propaganda. Electricity is a Luxury in Ethiopia.

ELECTRICITY SHORTAGE IN ETHIOPIA
Addis Ababa at night

Due to the shortage of power, electricity is rationed throughout the country by the Ethiopian Government to save energy.
In Addis Ababa and other large cities electricity is a huge problem; the power is turned off in a grid like pattern so that different areas of the cities and towns loose power at different hours and on different days. In small towns and villages the power can be turned off to the entire area for a day or two

Currently in Addis Ababa, the electricity is turned off between 7 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. every day in a grid pattern and is often kept off until as late as 10:00 p.m. The rationing schedule is not made available ahead of time so people can plan; it simply just turns off without warning. This is a huge problem as computers; copying machines and basic light to work with are shut off daily. Because of power shortage, Ethiopians are spending about 100 million birr a month in fuel cost for generators to supplement the monthly power. Generators are expensive, and while some businesses can afford them, the government offices and agencies cannot.

Many companies and restaurants suffer great financial losses due to the frequent loss of power and interruption to their work. Power rationing affects all but the very elite. Even large factories and hotels are not exempt from power rationing. The effects is felt by millions in Addis Ababa, shopkeepers sometimes operate in the dark. Millions cannot keep their food fresh without electricity, especially families trying to run a household.

Electricity in Ethiopia is primarily provided by hydroelectric dams. The government is building new plants to meet the demand. A 44 meter arch dam, the biggest of its kind in Africa, is set to generate 300 MW of power by 2010. The Ethiopian Electric and Power Corporation have started production of 75MW as a test trial. The almost 3 billion birr project is expected to solve the current severe power shortage hammering the economy.

For now, the lights are on and the power is running, but the people of Ethiopia would all agree that the severe electricity shortage has become a constant source of public and government concern.

Postby Hamassien » 06 Mar 2012, 00:02

Minelik wrote:
Hamassien wrote:Some one please explain, how in the heck a country like Ethiopia who is currently keeping 95% of it's own population in total darkness going to export mega watts to another a s s backward nation with no infrastructure to support the idea? Now please think and reason before you open your dog given loud, fast talking mouth. I am not interested in street talk but I am interested in reason and logic.

woqaw green eyed shabbo stfu!

As expected from a brainless Ehiopian cub driver. Next!

Postby Gurage » 06 Mar 2012, 00:04

Forget the Tigryans woy-anuse people propaganda. Electricity is a Luxury in Ethiopia.

ELECTRICITY SHORTAGE IN ETHIOPIA
Addis Ababa at night

Due to the shortage of power, electricity is rationed throughout the country by the Ethiopian Government to save energy.
In Addis Ababa and other large cities electricity is a huge problem; the power is turned off in a grid like pattern so that different areas of the cities and towns loose power at different hours and on different days. In small towns and villages the power can be turned off to the entire area for a day or two

Currently in Addis Ababa, the electricity is turned off between 7 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. every day in a grid pattern and is often kept off until as late as 10:00 p.m. The rationing schedule is not made available ahead of time so people can plan; it simply just turns off without warning. This is a huge problem as computers; copying machines and basic light to work with are shut off daily. Because of power shortage, Ethiopians are spending about 100 million birr a month in fuel cost for generators to supplement the monthly power. Generators are expensive, and while some businesses can afford them, the government offices and agencies cannot.

Many companies and restaurants suffer great financial losses due to the frequent loss of power and interruption to their work. Power rationing affects all but the very elite. Even large factories and hotels are not exempt from power rationing. The effects is felt by millions in Addis Ababa, shopkeepers sometimes operate in the dark. Millions cannot keep their food fresh without electricity, especially families trying to run a household.

Electricity in Ethiopia is primarily provided by hydroelectric dams. The government is building new plants to meet the demand. A 44 meter arch dam, the biggest of its kind in Africa, is set to generate 300 MW of power by 2010. The Ethiopian Electric and Power Corporation have started production of 75MW as a test trial. The almost 3 billion birr project is expected to solve the current severe power shortage hammering the economy.

For now, the lights are on and the power is running, but the people of Ethiopia would all agree that the severe electricity shortage has become a constant source of public and government concern.

Postby Gurage » 06 Mar 2012, 00:18

For those who do not know who Minilick, is. He is not a taxi driver. He works in the store that sell Ethiopians commodity's. His job title is Delivering INJERA to the customers. If the business is slow he goes to extra miles to satisfy his INJERA clients and wash their socks and underwear by hand. This feminine [deleted] is so dirty, and could go extra miles to satisfy his clients, and sooock their dildos.

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion