Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

Ethiopia vs. Nigeria World Cup qualifier - update and discussions

Postby Admas » 08 Oct 2013, 07:41

First game: Sunday October 13, 4:00 PM Addis Ababa time

Ethiopias ready for Nigeria

AFP - In matching blue jerseys and red shorts, Ethiopia's footballers confidently criss-cross their home pitch, launching the ball back and forth.

The players press on under the blistering morning sun for over two hours. At this crucial stage in the 2014 World Cup Africa zone qualifiers, the team knows that every minute of training counts.

"We have tried to prepare them physically as well as mentally in the first week and now we are doing our tactical work and we will continue in the coming few days to combine the two," said Ethiopian 'Waliya Antelopes' coach Sewnet Bishaw, as his team waged a practice match behind him.

Ethiopia are preparing to face Nigeria on Sunday in their toughest qualifying match yet.

Though the odds are stacked against Ethiopia -- Nigeria rank 36th in the world, according to international football governing body FIFA, while Ethiopia clocks in at 93 - the 'Waliyas' maintain an unflinching resolve to win.

Having beaten 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa to land at the top of their group, it is the closest the Horn of Africa nation has come to reaching the finals.

Ethiopia know the next match will be far from easy. On top of their impressive global ranking, Nigeria have more international experience and boasts several players from top European leagues.

But the 'Waliyas' refuse to let that spook them.

Having played Nigeria last January at the Africa Cup of Nations, Ethiopia are familiar with the strength of Nigeria's 'Super Eagles', who won the game 2-0 before moving on to win the lift the trophy in South Africa.

"We are ready for this match, we are very ready. We learned a lesson from the mistakes we made last time," said midfielder Menyahil Teshome.

Coach Sewnet said despite Ethiopia's defeat, the Nigerian squad is not a better team and the 'Waliyas' maintained their strength until the last 10 minutes of the game.

"If you look seriously at that match, Nigeria were not a better team than us. Up to the (end) we were performing good. But in the last 10 minutes they used their experience, so they got two penalties," he said.

"I think we will have a better game in the coming match against Nigeria," Sewnet said.

But he admits training has been set back by the absence of the team's four professional players, including star striker Saladin Said, who are expected early this week.

Ethiopia, a country better known for their renowned runners than their footballers - have amazed supporters by making it this far in the qualifiers.

Menyahil said his team, regarded as underdogs among powerful African national football teams like Ghana and Ivory Coast, is bolstered by a strong sense of nationalism and a refusal to be intimidated.

"Our strength is our team spirit," he said, sweating after training at Addis Ababa's national stadium, which is lined with posters of the late Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

"We have nothing to fear. Until now, we've been supported by our people," added Menyahil, who was fielded illegally in a match against Botswana, costing the team three points.

Though preventing Nigeria from scoring away goals is crucial if Ethiopia want to proceed, coach Sewnet said the team is focused on both defending and attacking, and is not prioritising one over the other.

And while he insists he is focusing on winning each match individually, instead of pressuring his team to reach Brazil, he does not scoff at the idea of making it to the World Cup.

"Why not? I don't know Brazil, so I want to see it," he joked.

The return match is scheduled for Calabar in south-east Nigeria on November 16 and the aggregate winners qualify for the World Cup.

Re: Ethiopia vs. Nigeria World Cup qualifier - update and discussions

Postby Admas » 08 Oct 2013, 07:52

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — In African football, it's usually the unexpected marvels that capture the world's attention.

In 1990, it was Cameroon's stunning win over Argentina and its subsequent path to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, highlighted by Roger Milla's iconic hip-wiggling dance at the corner flag. In 2002, it was Senegal defeating world champion France at the showcase tournament, prompting fans to slaughter cockerels, the French mascot, on the streets of Dakar.

Now, Ethiopia is just two games away from achieving another feat that once seemed inconceivable — simply reaching the 2014 World Cup.

What a story that would be.

Champion of Africa in 1962, Ethiopia fell off the football map for three decades. Civil war ravaged the country, and terrible famine killed nearly half a million people in the early 1980s.

Sport still played a part in the country, as world-beating runners hardened by poverty and high altitude continued to come out of Ethiopia. After barefoot Abebe Bikila won back-to-back marathon golds at the 1960 Rome and 1964 Tokyo games, successive generations of Ethiopian Olympic champions inspired the next. But there were no longer any Ethiopian footballers of any great renown.

There still aren't — although that could be about to change.

To become one of five African teams that will travel to the World Cup in Brazil next June, Ethiopia must beat current African champion Nigeria in the qualifying playoffs. The first match is this coming Sunday in Addis Ababa Stadium. The return fixture is Nov. 16.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, has played in four of the last five World Cups. It can call upon stars including Chelsea's John Obi Mikel, Liverpool's Victor Moses and players from the Italian and Spanish leagues.

Ethiopia has never played in football's showcase competition. Its appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations this January was its first at a major tournament in 31 years. And few outside of Ethiopia will have heard of Saladin Said, its top player.

The striker has made the biggest mark — if it can be called that — of any player on Ethiopia's national team by playing for Belgian club Lierse. A couple of other squad members play in Libya and Kazakhstan. Ethiopia is the only team that coach Sewnet Bishaw, a schoolteacher, has ever managed.

But sport loves underdogs and the World Cup loves African success stories.

Milla became a global star in 1990 at the age of 38 as his Indomitable Lions shook world football, and Senegal went on to reach the quarterfinals in 2002 after beating old colonial power France in its first World Cup. In South Africa three years ago, Ghana provided one of the most gripping story lines as the entire continent rallied behind the Black Stars on their march to the knockout round in the first World Cup held in Africa. Having reached the quarterfinals, only Luis Suarez's infamous deliberate handball on the goal line and Asamoah Gyan's subsequent missed penalty that rebounded off the crossbar prevented Ghana from becoming the first African nation to reach the semifinals.

The passion for football in Ethiopia easily matches those West African nations.

At the African Cup this January, Ethiopia fans unfurled a banner that read: "We're sorry for our behavior but we love the game." That was after supporters hurled plastic bottles onto the field, furious at a straight red card shown to Ethiopia's goalkeeper for a flying chest-high kick on a Zambia striker.

To reach the last 10 African teams in the World Cup playoffs, Ethiopia came through a qualifying group containing 2010 host South Africa, Central African Republic and Botswana. It also overcame being docked three points for fielding ineligible midfielder Minyahile Beyene while he was suspended.

Sellout crowds in Addis Ababa drive the team on. What players lack in technique they make up for with endurance.

This is a country of runners, after all, although sometimes it only takes a single event for a sport to take a larger foothold.

In 1980, around the last time Ethiopia qualified for a major football tournament, future Olympic distance running champion Haile Gebrselassie was 7 years old. He stole his father's radio and ran into the fields around his home to listen to commentary from Moscow of Miruts Yifter winning the 10,000-meter gold at the Summer Games. That day, Gebrselassie decided that he, too, wanted to be an Olympic champion.

If they get past Nigeria, it could be Saladin and his teammates leaving a similar legacy next year in Brazil.

The last time we met in a qulifying game

Postby D9jarianman » 08 Oct 2013, 09:35

Well ! well !! Well !!! The fact that the sign outside said food is ready it does not in anyway mean that food is free

If it is not for the fact that my lovely Girlfriend is from Addis abeba I would have instructed the super eagles to make sure that you guys have a basket full of goals but not to worry since I have promised my girlfriend that I shall replicate in bed what ever my beloved super eagles do on the field , I have told them not to score more than 4 since I do not have the power to do more that 4 rounds in one night

mmmmm nonsence and ingredents . Wahala antelopes or what is it that you call yourselves come saturday you will definately see WAHALA on the field of play

Let me remind you the last time we met in a qualifying game

The players score sotey even goal keeper follow join :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Gebre Hiwot » 08 Oct 2013, 16:25

Do not rely on your team(Nigeria) much because professionals are after money/clubs not after their national team. I assure you Ethiopia will disappoint Nigeria next Sunday and sorry for you and your shamefull comments. You need descipline as far as communicating with ethiopians we are not..........

Postby Naija Visitor » 08 Oct 2013, 16:42

Gebre Hiwot wrote:Do not rely on your team(Nigeria) much because professionals are after money/clubs not after their national team. I assure you Ethiopia will disappoint Nigeria next Sunday and sorry for you and your shamefull comments. You need descipline as far as communicating with ethiopians we are not..........

These professionals need to go to the world cup to show off their goods. :wink:

Postby D9jarianman » 08 Oct 2013, 17:04

Gebre Hiwot wrote:Do not rely on your team(Nigeria) much because professionals are after money/clubs not after their national team. I assure you Ethiopia will disappoint Nigeria next Sunday and sorry for you and your shamefull comments. You need descipline as far as communicating with ethiopians we are not..........
Football players just long distance runners

since you did not finish the statement I thought I should help you out that will cost you another goal come saturday :lol: :lol:

Postby hailHIM » 08 Oct 2013, 20:53

D9jarianman wrote:
Football players just long distance runners

since you did not finish the statement I thought I should help you out that will cost you another goal come saturday :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Guys, easy on our Ethiopian sisters.

Postby Admas » 08 Oct 2013, 22:11

By Babajide Alaka

Ethiopia are a closely-knit team and play a lot of one-twos, especially in the midfield areas so it will be essential for Nigeria stars such as Ogenyi Onazi and John Obi Mikel to remain conscious of the movement around them.

Goal beams a light on some key battles that could swing the tie in either team’s favour in this first leg knock-out game of the final stage of Caf qualification.

The real orchestrator for the Antelopes is 27-year-old Saint George midfielder, Minyahel Teshome. He is very nimble, extremely mobile and scored the goal that qualified his side for this match.

Onazi (pictured, right) on the other hand is the engine of the Super Eagles and is tireless, whether marking opponents or trying to open defences from deep, while he also poses a goal threat. The more energetic of these two players will win the midfield battle.

Adane Girma is another product of Saint George and likes to float between the lines of midfield and attack, an area in which Obi Mikel operates. But with it being an away match, Mikel has to restrict his attacking tendencies, as he does at Chelsea, to help Onazi win the midfield battle.

Mikel is also needed to slow the game down to negate the effects of altitude on the team. Girma will be hoping to draw the Eagles' talisman away from that area to help create one-on-one situations between Onazi and Teshome.

The Wad Degla striker likes to make his runs from the left wing, thereby catching the last central defender on the turn. Oboabona, who has not played much football since joining Turkish side Caykur Rizespor, is likely to be that man.

Oboabona must be sharp and wary of these runs or make sure that the right-back is always on the lookout. Saladin showed what he can do at the last Nations Cup, where naivety proved the undoing of him and those around him.

Now more experienced, he will want to be a more consistent performer and raise his game in this first leg.

Emenike has not been free-scoring for Fenerbahce since his arrival from Russia, but the burly striker scored in his last two matches for the Super Eagles so will be in a buoyant mood. Debebe likes to pose a physical battle, though he is technically proficient.

It will be left to the Nigeria striker to impose his game on the Ethiopian captain. Debebe rarely makes mistakes in his tackling so it will be left to the striker to be fleet of foot and make sure to commit his opponent. An ideal situation for him would to get Debebe cautioned in the first half, making it more difficult to dive into tackles for the remainder of the contest.

In the last five matches for the Antelopes, Kebede (pictured, left) has scored three times, which spells danger for any opponent.

Echiejile has shown a propensity to overlap and help the Eagles going forward in recent matches but in thin air of Addis Ababa he must minimise those surges upfield in order to save his energy for nullifying Kebede.

The Ethiopia star likes to begin his move from the right, where he cannot be picked up by the central defenders and midfielders. The Braga man will need to almost do a man-marking job on Kebede.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... ia-nigeria

Postby Fed_Up » 08 Oct 2013, 23:49

Eagle 4:1antelope
Let's be honest
this is what will happened on sunday. The antelope will be strangulated to death just like this in their home?

Postby Kongi the king of njera-land » 09 Oct 2013, 00:08

I will supply 10yrs of free njera to everyone here if Ethiopia wins the game. :lol:

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion