Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Axumawi

Bravo Andargachew Tsige

Post by Axumawi » 12 Jul 2018, 17:31

XXX
A lot of people talk about Eritrea Ethiopia rapprochement which is for the most part with a lot of push pull from other interests.

The mechanics of it must have come from some brainy person, principled and consistent.

His name is Andargachew Tsige.

Example: Describing something that most impressed him about Eritrea (I have heard him in person describe not from TV or Radio interviews he did) was that the simple life of President Isayas, the simple shoes, simple clothing. He said he wishes Ethiopian leaders copy this very deep and honorable culture.
I have a feeling he has mentioned to Abiy in their conversation.

Another issue which I think Andargachew impressed on Abiy is also something he talked about decades ago. Ethiopia cannot have successful peace or successful war if the north is not in it. I remember Andargachew giving example that If in Eritrea you said you are from Gojjam the impression you get from the faces is simply priceless. It gives you the impression that you are from one of Eritrea's Awrajas. And in one meeting Andargachew highlighted Hatse Haileslassie's mistake of jumping the north and spending enormous energy and wealth in Eritrea.

I have the impression that almost everything PM Abiy knows, not only knows, he may know a million things, but confidently trusts comes from Andargachew Tsige and one cannot go wrong with it.

What do you think Andargachew role was?

I did not mention Dr. Birhanu. He is too scared and timid of Tigrigna speakers from his EPRP days. He even finds it impossible to listen let alone speak Tigrinya even trying some words. He would be least to contribute about this issue. Other leaders of G7 of course and some of them being Eritreans could have contrbuted.

Do you know that Andargachew can exchange greetings in Kunama and Tigre from his short time there?

Degnet

Re: Bravo Andargachew Tsige

Post by Degnet » 12 Jul 2018, 18:10

Axumawi wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 17:31
A lot of people talk about Eritrea Ethiopia rapprochement which is for the most part with a lot of push pull from other interests.

The mechanics of it must have come from some brainy person, principled and consistent.

Example: Describing something that most impressed him about Eritrea (I have heard him in person describe not from TV or Radio interviews he did) was that the simple life of President Isayas, the simple shoes, simple clothing. He said he wishes Ethiopian leaders copy this very deep and honorable culture.

Another issue which I think Andargachew impressed on Abiy is also something he talked about decades ago. Ethiopia cannot have successful peace or successful war if the north is not in it. I remember Andargachew giving example that If in Eritrea you said you are from Gojjam the impression you get from the faces is simply priceless. It gives you the impression that you are from one of Eritrea's Awrajas. And in one meeting Andargachew highlighted Hatse Haileslassie's mistake of jumping the north and spending enormous energy and wealth in Eritrea.

I have the impression that almost everything PM Abiy knows, not only knows, he may know a million things, but confidently trusts comes from Andargachew Tsige and one cannot go wrong with it.

I did not mention Dr. Birhanu. He is too scared and timid of Tigrigna speakers from his EPRP days. He even finds it impossible to listen let alone speak Tigrinya even trying some words. He would be least to contribute about this issue. Other leaders of G7 of course and some of them being Eritreans could have contrbuted.

Do you know that Andargachew can exchange greetings in Kunama and Tigre from his short time there?
[/quote
In the first place you are not to judge Dr.Berhanu,may be he was angry of the way you treated him

Dawi

Post by Dawi » 12 Jul 2018, 18:22

Axumawi wrote:

Axumawi,

Endargachew has talked about the simplicity of Isias on ESAT as well but, that has always been the hallmark of Esu; nothing new there.

Dr. Abiy who seem to have deep understanding of Malcom X & King, can't be unaware of Esu's simplicity. Let us just say, Andy has given first hand trust worthy information on Eritrea.

AG7 role in dislodging TPLF in general is enormous. ሰማያዊ ፓርቲም ሲፈገፈግ ግንቦት ሆኖ ተገኝቷል! Who is next? :P

Having said that, is Dr. Abiy going to offer that UN Ambassador position to Dr. Berhanu or Andy? It is a possibility in my view.

BTW, part of the drawback of growing up in Addis is ending up monolingual. Yes, you can pick and learn another language on your own; the problem is which one do you pick to be fluent at and which one do you discriminate? Peripherally born Ethiopians have an advantage and obviously Abiy capitalized on that.

Axumawi wrote:

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 12 Jul 2018, 18:37

Dawi wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:22
Axumawi wrote:

Axumawi,

Endargachew has talked about the simplicity of Isias on ESAT as well but, that has always been the hallmark of Esu; nothing new there.

Dr. Abiy who seem to have deep understanding of Malcom X & King, can't be unaware of Esu's simplicity. Let us just say, Andy has given first hand trust worthy information on Eritrea.

AG7 role in dislodging TPLF in general is enormous. ሰማያዊ ፓርቲም ሲፈገፈግ ግንቦት ሆኖ ተገኝቷል! Who is next? :P

Having said that, is Dr. Abiy going to offer that UN Ambassador position to Dr. Berhanu or Andy? It is a possibility in my view.

BTW, part of the drawback of growing up in Addis is ending up monolingual. Yes, you can pick and learn another language on your own; the problem is which one do you pick to be fluent at and which one do you discriminate? Peripherally born Ethiopians have an advantage and obviously Abiy capitalized on that.

The downside of Dr. Birhanu is the man has never shown courage in his entire adult life from Adis Ababa, Asimba, Khartoum, America, Again Addis, again America. Secondly unlike Andargachew Dr. Birhanu is too much of show off and he even strated talking Mengistu style at one time.

Andargachew would be most acceptable to anything worthy by most Ethiopians, even those who never agreed with him on just about anything.

Language is something you learn if you are friendly to the people who speak it. If you find something you appreciate. It is mostly attitude. Unless you learn in school, any language you learn on your own is either its important in life like refugee or business the rest is attitude.

I know some Ethiopians who lived in South or Oromia and could not ask for drinking water in the local language.

Dawi

Post by Dawi » 12 Jul 2018, 19:29

Axumawi,

I found Dr. Berhanu to be very courageous man, when Andy was apprehended by Ethiopian Government, he immediately quit a prominent high paying job and left for Asmara. That is courage and commitment in my book.

Being freindly or not is really not the issue if you're born in the middle of Addis from a typical 2nd, 3rd generation Addis Ababan family, where everyone is trying to speak Amharic; to be a true friend is helping folks be up to speed in their Amharic to work, go along and communicate with everyone else. You're used as bouncing board by everyone; thank you. Off course, if Afan Oromo is spoken as a first language at home by both parents, that language is a given; if it is a mixed family the kids use the national language to communicate to go along with everyone unless you have a consious parent around to teach them another language. I am talking about now pre-EPRDF. Now everyone is conscious because folks are "ethnically" disposed. I may say that is probably the only positive thing "ethnic federation" brought.

It is like here in the US, many Ethiopian kids don't speak their native languange because you have mostly, lazy parents. It is easy just to speak English. Parents should take the responsibility if you want to blame someone.
Axumawi wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:37
I know some Ethiopians who lived in South or Oromia and could not ask for drinking water in the local language.
I guarantee you they're not Amara or Southerners; because an Amara don't ever plan to go back to Ankober when they grow up! :D

Axumawi wrote:
The downside of Dr. Birhanu is the man has never shown courage in his entire adult life from Adis Ababa, Asimba, Khartoum, America, Again Addis, again America. Secondly unlike Andargachew Dr. Birhanu is too much of show off and he even strated talking Mengistu style at one time.

Andargachew would be most acceptable to anything worthy by most Ethiopians, even those who never agreed with him on just about anything.

Language is something you learn if you are friendly to the people who speak it. If you find something you appreciate. It is mostly attitude. Unless you learn in school, any language you learn on your own is either its important in life like refugee or business the rest is attitude.

Last edited by Dawi on 12 Jul 2018, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

Revelations

Post by Revelations » 12 Jul 2018, 19:33

desperate times require desperate ideas to be considered. Nothing in here to save the inevitable. Keep dreaming though. There's no cost to it.
Axumawi wrote:

Horus
Member+

Post by Horus » 13 Jul 2018, 01:19

Since I am certified AG7 supporter, my TMS Schoolmate Andy and the grit Berhanu (who survived EPRP's own killing), people might no give much value to what I say. A long time ago when 'Revelations;' actually had readers for his hate trash I wrote the position AG7 too on Eritrea in the face of all odds would transform the entire region. You see, not a lot folks don't even remeber the massive insult on AG7 as a national traitor because they argued the commonality of Ethiopia and Eritrea and how Eritrea is our natural friend. Look is who dancing to the tune Ethio-Eritrea reconnection and eventual unification. This is called leadership. As we speak, it is AG7 that has the most complete and farsighted and foresighted view of the Ethiopian nation.

Welcome to reality !!! Congratulations for the recognition of reality !!!

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 13 Jul 2018, 01:58

Dawi wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 19:29
Axumawi,

I found Dr. Berhanu to be very courageous man, when Andy was apprehended by Ethiopian Government, he immediately quit a prominent high paying job and left for Asmara. That is courage and commitment in my book.

Being freindly or not is really not the issue if you're born in the middle of Addis from a typical 2nd, 3rd generation Addis Ababan family, where everyone is trying to speak Amharic; to be a true friend is helping folks be up to speed in their Amharic to work, go along and communicate with everyone else. You're used as bouncing board by everyone; thank you. Off course, if Afan Oromo is spoken as a first language at home by both parents, that language is a given; if it is a mixed family the kids use the national language to communicate to go along with everyone unless you have a consious parent around to teach them another language. I am talking about now pre-EPRDF. Now everyone is conscious because folks are "ethnically" disposed. I may say that is probably the only positive thing "ethnic federation" brought.

It is like here in the US, many Ethiopian kids don't speak their native languange because you have mostly, lazy parents. It is easy just to speak English. Parents should take the responsibility if you want to blame someone.
Axumawi wrote:
I guarantee you they're not Amara or Southerners; because an Amara don't ever plan to go back to Ankober when they grow up! :D

Axumawi wrote:

Dawi,

What do you think he was going to do if G7 succeeded in defeating EPRDF. Take a part time job one of them
Quiting his day job in America (if he had done it, you and I don't know) is easiest decision. Most difficult for him was going to Eritrea, since he had made some bombastic statements against independence of Eritrea trying to get at Weyannie, but was assured it does not matter.

The highlighted is really funny. I am going to use this one. perfect description.

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 13 Jul 2018, 02:10

Revelations wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 19:33
desperate times require desperate ideas to be considered. Nothing in here to save the inevitable. Keep dreaming though. There's no cost to it.
Axumawi wrote:

There is cost to dreaming time.
No its just that I always liked the man
I had few opportunities to attend his gatherings and also talk to personally at end
I had his book "Ye Amara hizb keyet wedet" and really understood his emotional connection to farmers and villages for a city person

Dawi

Post by Dawi » 13 Jul 2018, 04:44

Axumawi wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 01:58
Dawi,

What do you think he was going to do if G7 succeeded in defeating EPRDF. Take a part time job one of them
Quiting his day job in America (if he had done it, you and I don't know) is easiest decision. Most difficult for him was going to Eritrea, since he had made some bombastic statements against independence of Eritrea trying to get at Weyannie, but was assured it does not matter.
Axumawi,

You know Andy was a friend of Meles and was one the first ones who went back home to help EPRDF; he ended up feeling excluded and was disappointed by the lack of inclusiveness of all people to the point of quitting his post; where he ended up joining the opposition later on. Dr. Abiy can apologize to him and ask him to come back and the others as well to join him be part & parcel of change agents in EPRDF.

AG7 is a non party entity therefore, Abiy can offer Andy or Dr. Berhanu that UN position job for instance.

It shall be a great gesture and a milestone act for unity of the country by EPRDF. The Inclusion of Dr. Merera Gudina in the EBC board has already increased the seriousness of the present government, it showed to what extent it's willing to travel for the sake of inclusiveness.

Ethiopians have learned to live with Eritrea's independence; the present buddy-buddy of Isaias/Dr. Abiy "መደመር" sounds genuine.

I suspected Andy's endorsement of Shaebia in that one ESAT interview in the past. I thought he went overboard. With the concept of "መደመር" it is much more tolerable today; I no more care of the pain & agony brought by the Eritrean secession & the way Meles/EPRDF signed it. It was hard for me to trust anything that came out of Isaias because I considered EPLF once upon a time as "አንጋፋው" liberation movement of Ethiopia; not anymore. I was very touched & happy to see Isaias laughing with Dr.Abiy; I even kind of like him today because, I have learnt to live with Eritrea being an independent country, period.

We can help each other; maybe we can re-learn & study if there is advantage of the 9 ethnic groups living in one administrative state as a possibility for adjusting our own to help resolve conflicts. Maybe Amara and Tigrai should be one state with several administrative zones. Why not?

Axumawi

Post by Axumawi » 13 Jul 2018, 08:32

Dawi wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 04:44
Axumawi wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 01:58
Dawi,

Axumawi,

You know Andy was a friend of Meles and was one the first ones who went back home to help EPRDF; he ended up feeling excluded and was disappointed by the lack of inclusiveness of all people to the point of quitting his post; where he ended up joining the opposition later on. Dr. Abiy can apologize to him and ask him to come back and the others as well to join him be part & parcel of change agents in EPRDF.

AG7 is a non party entity therefore, Abiy can offer Andy or Dr. Berhanu that UN position job for instance.

It shall be a great gesture and a milestone act for unity of the country by EPRDF. The Inclusion of Dr. Merera Gudina in the EBC board has already increased the seriousness of the present government, it showed to what extent it's willing to travel for the sake of inclusiveness.

Ethiopians have learned to live with Eritrea's independence; the present buddy-buddy of Isaias/Dr. Abiy "መደመር" sounds genuine.

I suspected Andy's endorsement of Shaebia in that one ESAT interview in the past. I thought he went overboard. With the concept of "መደመር" it is much more tolerable today; I no more care of the pain & agony brought by the Eritrean secession & the way Meles/EPRDF signed it. It was hard for me to trust anything that came out of Isaias because I considered EPLF once upon a time as "አንጋፋው" liberation movement of Ethiopia; not anymore. I was very touched & happy to see Isaias laughing with Dr.Abiy; I even kind of like him today because, I have learnt to live with Eritrea being an independent country, period.

We can help each other; maybe we can re-learn & study if there is advantage of the 9 ethnic groups living in one administrative state as a possibility for adjusting our own to help resolve conflicts. Maybe Amara and Tigrai should be one state with several administrative zones. Why not?
Regarding kilils Tigray is least of problems since wether province or kilil or zone there will be always a Tigray. The Somali kilil, Afar and Oromia are the ones that will resist the most. Since some of them only have been together only one generation which is not enough in terms culture language and unity which is really basis. Afar Tigray and Agew regions can all be a unit easily. The problem is this will easily grow into a cohesive separate "country" since this already there to some extent. Half of Afar kilil was Tigray province until EPRDF. Some Agew disctricts were also in Tigray province were kililed in Amhara kilil since the number of the community was too small to stand as zone in both Kilils.

You would think Somali killil or Sidama would be fit with Oromia, but that is not possible right now. Amhara and Tigre in one kilil, zone what ever is no go. Would be hopless waste of time and energy on most useless things. Afar Agew and Tigre have no conflict on teaching same history for their children. Tray that with Amhara and Tigre Biheresebotch lol Amhara possibly with Oromo lol.

From G7 I think Abiy would go with Andargachew. Remember the Qinijit divorce was really bad and spilled so many things about each other. Andargachew is the one who said the least. From experience he knows one thing "There will be reconciliation there fore don't say things that cannot be forgiven or tolerated.

Yes Andargachew really overdid and went off the Richter scale in his defense of Eritrea. He even tried to show as if there is democracy when they themselves said they don't need or believe they need democracy. He knows he cannot function if he doesn't do that the was minimum.

BTW he was always EPRDF even in England before he went back in 1991. He was with Addisu Leggesee, Bereket Simon during split from EPRP.
He always worked and helped them while in England. The guy never stops.