Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

This Lesson I Learned from Sam

Postby teodroseIII » 08 Mar 2018, 10:52

I was not always this way. There was a time—actually just a few years ago—where I was the very demagogue and firebrand that I speak against now. I used to view life through the prism of black and white and saw injustice through the lens of the left and right divide. A life time of being conditioned to see humanity through our differences inculcated in my mind a most potent form of tribalism. I spent years trying to organize Democrats and speaking up for “black people” not realizing I was furthering the very same system of divide and conquer that is the source of injustice to begin with.

I remember the day it happened; the moment I shed tribalism from my eyes. April 21st, 2015 was a day that forever changed my life. After losing everything and finding myself homeless in South Carolina, I found shelter at the Greenville Rescue Mission—I was going through it. Mired in hopelessness and stuck in destitution, pity and sorrow were my calling cards. Then all the sudden it happened; on a Tuesday morning, my outlook on justice and fairness changed in a blink of an eye.

While I was eating breakfast in the community kitchen, I saw a little girl who was mingling with other people who were as broken as I was. Except she was not weighed down by sorrow. Even though her parents were suffering in poverty and struggling to provide for her, she maintained her innocence and laughed without a care in the world. Her exuberance was contagious, people who were otherwise bracketed by woes and neck deep in distress found themselves smiling the minute she came around. She did not judge the poor nor did she discriminate between black and white; Sam treated people society disrgeagds as lepers as if...continued...

Read full article at:

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion