Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

'Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica' - South Africa's national anthem voted the best in the World. Reason? It celebrates tribalism! [BBC Report & video of the anthem]

Postby yaballo » 31 Dec 2017, 02:42

Akkam ooltani? Fayyaa? 8)

For all of those bombarding us with their tribophobia (a phobia towards Ethiopia's tribes &/or people's love of their own tribe, etc); look how it is far more practical to work with Africans' innate & strong sense of tribalism than in trying to dismiss it - worse still - trying to ban the tribes all together. Africa & African-ess does not exist without the tribes or an allegiance to a set tribe. Like one has his/her loving - or abusive - parents, Africans or humans also belong to a set tribe. It is a fact of life. The best & more pragmatic way of dealing with Ethiopians'/Africans' innate sense of tribalism is by celebrating it - not by undermining or rubbishing it. :idea:

Anyway, 'Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica' - South Africa's national anthem was voted the best in the World. Reason? .. (a) uplifting tunes, (b) unifying lyrics in five major languages of South Africa &, (c) celebrates tribal/ethnic diversity rather than trying to dismiss it. An example for troubled Ethiopia?

BBC-Africa: "South Africa's national anthem Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God Bless Africa) has been voted as the best anthem in the world by The Economist. The magazine praised the rousing tune, the added bit of pathos to dampen the eye and the inexplicable something that makes it stand out from the rest. Russia came out in second place with their tune adapted from the old Soviet anthem. But what do you think makes your national anthem special? We want to hear from you. What's your country's national anthem and can you sing it?" https://www.facebook.com/bbcafrica/

Now, a South African informs us about the unique features of the South African national anthem:

"Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God bless africa) was composed by Enoch Sontonga in 1897 as a hymn in South Africa. It was then used as a liberation song and banned during apartheid which started in 1948.
Later countries like Zambia and Tanzania adopted the tune after their independence changing the lyrics. The difference between the South African anthem and the Zambian-Tanzanian is that the South African anthem is a combination of two anthems, 'nkosi sikelel' [black African] and 'Die Stem Van Suid Afrika' ['The Call of South Africa' - in Afrikaans/Dutch- language of ethnic Dutch white South Africans]. Sung in five languages, beginning with isiXhosa,Zulu, Sotho, Afrikaans and then ends in English.. That's what makes it unique and simply the best in Africa & the world.."

Just imagine Ethiopia's post banda woyane national anthem having lyrics in major languages of Ethiopia & all school children singing it proudly, just like in today's South Africa via their world-beating national anthem called: "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God bless africa)". Of course, the other alternative is for Ethiopian school children to sing a version of Ethiopia's hopefully unifying future national anthem in their own tribal language - like in Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, etc. :idea:

Happy New Year [2018] to you all. Hope 2018 is the year Ethiopians BURY fascist bandas & their collaborators in a mass grave the size of 'The Grand Canyon' [USA]. 8)

Nagaatti/be cher.

Video: Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (south african national anthem, with lyrics) - Inno nazionale sudafricano. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by yaballo on 31 Dec 2017, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 'Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica' - South Africa's national anthem voted the best in the World. Reason? It celebrates tribalism! [BBC Report & video of the anthem]

Postby Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 02:52

South Africans were united,there were even white people supporting them.

Re: 'Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica' - South Africa's national anthem voted the best in the World. Reason? It celebrates tribalism! [BBC Report & video of the anthem]

Postby Horus » 31 Dec 2017, 02:58

Yaballo,

First, Ethiopia is not South Africa. When the entire Africans was being sold into white slavery by one of their tribes, Ethiopians actually defeated the would white slave merchant. You don't have to be Ethiopian, we are not begging you to be one. You can dream of being sold so that you can sing in your language. The problem is Ethiopians are singing in their own languages and in multiple languages. I is amazing how low and shaming such logic has reached. Again, you cannot make Ethiopia what she is not. It was the non-tribal Ethiopians battle of Adwa that saved Africa from becoming a white continent.

Yaballo, why don't you move to Liberia and leave Ethiopia alone !!!!!

Postby Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 03:29

Horus,
Don't attack this guy in what he wrote here,I have a lot of books about South Africa I bought in South African day here in Amsterdam in the 1980/90s,you need to see that in general as an African revolution.think of Mandela and Stev Biko,though I want to continue my life as a Christian,they are African heroes who were very interested in us,the Ethiopians.They loved Ethiopia more than Horus does because of their unmeasurable intellect.

Postby yaballo » 31 Dec 2017, 03:43

Horus,

You want to vanish me to Liberia? Oh well, at least Liberia is located on the African mainland unlike the great Island of Madagascar :mrgreen:

Do take it easy & most of us want something good for ALL Ethiopians. The only difference is our slightly different approaches to get there. Remember: unless you are prepared to die for Ethiopia, simply enveloping one's body with an Ethiopian flag in mass rallies in the USA or Europe or singing Hirut Bekele's 'Ethiopia Hagere .. memekyaye', etc, does NOT make one a credible patriotic Ethiopian.

Obviously, I've not sacrificed my life or a limb for Ethiopia :shock: but I have brothers & relatives who did just that in the past [though, sometimes I wonder that their sacrifices are all in vain] :twisted: .

Do you have brothers or relatives who died for Ethiopia's independence, territorial integrity or to defend its right to have access to the Sea? .. You do? Great! - at least we share something - a grief.

Anyway, here is Hirut Bekele's 'Ethiopia Hagere song', considered by some as 'Ethiopia's defacto national anthem'. Oh, as a young lady, Hirut Bekele called my hometown of Yaballo home. She went to Yaballo Primary School for few years! 8)

Video: Hirut's 'Ethiopia Hagere' with the Imperial era Police Orchestra (?) [she was with an army band before that, I think].

phpBB [video]

Horus wrote:Yaballo,

First, Ethiopia is not South Africa. When the entire Africans was being sold into white slavery by one of their tribes, Ethiopians actually defeated the would white slave merchant. You don't have to be Ethiopian, we are not begging you to be one. You can dream of being sold so that you can sing in your language. The problem is Ethiopians are singing in their own languages and in multiple languages. I is amazing how low and shaming such logic has reached. Again, you cannot make Ethiopia what she is not. It was the non-tribal Ethiopians battle of Adwa that saved Africa from becoming a white continent.

Yaballo, why don't you move to Liberia and leave Ethiopia alone !!!!!

Postby Degnet » 31 Dec 2017, 04:06

You both know the general Mengistu Neway revolution,I was very young but I had relatives in Addis Abeba at that time studying or working,great experience except for the death of people and the failer of the revolution,it is nice to hear from you once in a while even if I don't agree with you some times,especially when you are tribal,for me with all that respect,even Isaias Afewerki is Ethiopian.

Postby Benn » 31 Dec 2017, 04:11

What an iddiot !!!

Cultural tribalism and Political tribalism are different !

I know South Africa like the palm of my hand. There is no single party or province based on Ethnic, or worse, tribal identity. There is no ID or any other document that mention an individuals' tribal affiliation.

What a TPLF @$$wipe !

yaballo wrote:Akkam ooltani? Fayyaa? 8)

For all of those bombarding us with their tribophobia (a phobia towards Ethiopia's tribes &/or people's love of their own tribe, etc); look how it is far more practical to work with Africans' innate & strong sense of tribalism than in trying to dismiss it - worse still - trying to ban the tribes all together. Africa & African-ess does not exist without the tribes or an allegiance to a set tribe. Like one has his/her loving - or abusive - parents, Africans or humans also belong to a set tribe. It is a fact of life. The best & more pragmatic way of dealing with Ethiopians'/Africans' innate sense of tribalism is by celebrating it - not by undermining or rubbishing it. :idea:

Anyway, 'Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica' - South Africa's national anthem was voted the best in the World. Reason? .. (a) uplifting tunes, (b) unifying lyrics in five major languages of South Africa &, (c) celebrates tribal/ethnic diversity rather than trying to dismiss it. An example for troubled Ethiopia?

BBC-Africa: "South Africa's national anthem Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God Bless Africa) has been voted as the best anthem in the world by The Economist. The magazine praised the rousing tune, the added bit of pathos to dampen the eye and the inexplicable something that makes it stand out from the rest. Russia came out in second place with their tune adapted from the old Soviet anthem. But what do you think makes your national anthem special? We want to hear from you. What's your country's national anthem and can you sing it?" https://www.facebook.com/bbcafrica/

Now, a South African informs us about the unique features of the South African national anthem:

"Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God bless africa) was composed by Enoch Sontonga in 1897 as a hymn in South Africa. It was then used as a liberation song and banned during apartheid which started in 1948.
Later countries like Zambia and Tanzania adopted the tune after their independence changing the lyrics. The difference between the South African anthem and the Zambian-Tanzanian is that the South African anthem is a combination of two anthems, 'nkosi sikelel' [black African] and 'Die Stem Van Suid Afrika' ['The Call of South Africa' - in Afrikaans/Dutch- language of ethnic Dutch white South Africans]. Sung in five languages, beginning with isiXhosa,Zulu, Sotho, Afrikaans and then ends in English.. That's what makes it unique and simply the best in Africa & the world.."

Just imagine Ethiopia's post banda woyane national anthem having lyrics in major languages of Ethiopia & all school children singing it proudly, just like in today's South Africa via their world-beating national anthem called: "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God bless africa)". Of course, the other alternative is for Ethiopian school children to sing a version of Ethiopia's hopefully unifying future national anthem in their own tribal language - like in Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, etc. :idea:

Happy New Year [2018] to you all. Hope 2018 is the year Ethiopians BURY fascist bandas & their collaborators in a mass grave the size of 'The Grand Canyon' [USA]. 8)

Nagaatti/be cher.

Video: Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (south african national anthem, with lyrics) - Inno nazionale sudafricano. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

Postby yaballo » 31 Dec 2017, 04:41

"Ben: Cultural tribalism and Political tribalism are different!"

Really Benn? Why don't you define each before calling me 'an idiot'? Do indulge us with your superb negro intellect. Remember - ante balege doma ras ye gered lij - using rude terms in discussion is a mark of incivility & other less tolerant posters would, automatically, delete your comment of a retard. OK?

Benn wrote:What an iddiot !!!

Cultural tribalism and Political tribalism are different !

I know South Africa like the palm of my hand. There is no single party or province based on Ethnic, or worse, tribal identity. There is no ID or any other document that mention an individuals' tribal affiliation.

What an @$$wipe !

yaballo wrote:Akkam ooltani? Fayyaa? 8)

Nagaatti/be cher.

phpBB [video]

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion