Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

I'm a Somali that learned some amharic

Postby abyssomal » 28 Dec 2017, 03:48

Hey guys, I'm an American Somali and I've been teaching myself Amharic for about less than a year now cause I study Arabic as well and there are some similarities to them. I've found that Amharic is more easier but idk if that's cause of my previous Arabic knowledge. Anyways I'll write a formal introduction with my broken amharic lol
ዛሬ ሰላም ለናንተ፣ እንዴትናችሁ? ሶማሊ ነኝ እና የቋንቋ አማርኛ ተማርኩ, ብዙ አውቃለሁ እኔ ግን ይልቅ መማር እፈልጋለሁ. ማን ከሰዋስውዬ ጋር መርዳት ይችላል? አመሰግናለሁ

How crappy was it :lol:

Re: I'm a Somali that learned some amharic

Postby Degnet » 28 Dec 2017, 04:45

If it is honest,it is a good try,our hope is to live as brothers,civilization makes people one,in the 1960s all people were civilized,I had known a Somali Ethiopian teacher as a national service teacher from the university in Addis Abeba.

Postby yaballo » 28 Dec 2017, 06:07

No, your Amharic is very clear. Well done! Now let's examine this sentence: 'ሶማሊ ነኝ እና የቋንቋ አማርኛ ተማርኩ'. (a) In Amharic, a Somali = Sumaalle [ሱማሌ], hence: better to say: 'እኔ ሱማሌ ነኝ' or 'እኔ ሱማሌያዊ ነኝ' [I am a Somali]. (b) 'የቋንቋ አማርኛ ተማርኩ', the name of the tribe that speaks that language [Amharic] comes first, followed by the word 'ቋንቋ' that, like the prefix 'Af/Afka Soomaliga' or 'Afaan Oromoo' indicates a language. Hence, it is better to say: የአማርኛ ቋንቋ ተማርኩ። [ = I learnt/learned the Amharic language, and is in 'Past Tense format']. Or, better still, 'የአማርኛ ቋንቋ እየተማርኩ ነዉ' [I am learning the Amharic language, which is an ongoing process or in 'Present Continuous Tense']. But, most Amharic speakers would perfectly understand your message in Amharic. Good Luck.

Postby Degnet » 28 Dec 2017, 06:51

You are really giving him hope that he is also part of the people who have to make peace in that area,the last destiny of man is to know God.

Postby abyssomal » 28 Dec 2017, 07:14

Thanks bro :P one thing that helped me learn were the songs, especially Teddy Afro. I'd listen to a song, write down as many words as I could hear, and check the actual lyrics after. Of course it wasn't the only way I learned Amharic though, but it was the most useful.

Postby Khysion » 28 Dec 2017, 12:18

What kind of Somali calls himself Abssomal? I would've believed you but that name is terrible because Somalis have nothing to do with Abbysinians. Somalis believe themselves as kings and they don't claim other tribes especially not it's historical rival enemy.

"Abyssomal"

I doubt you're Somali

Postby abyssomal » 28 Dec 2017, 13:36

Lmfaoo it's an ethiopian forum so it's what I could come up with at the time :mrgreen: :lol:. This is actually my second time using this account in a while but idk how to change the name :roll:

Postby Awash » 28 Dec 2017, 14:20

All I know in sumalegna is:
"MeHatsekshe werria."

Good luck in your studies.

Postby Khysion » 28 Dec 2017, 15:38

abyssomal: Are you Ethio-Somali? Because I am and I'm from Dire Dawa, what city/zone you from?

Postby Sadacha Macca » 28 Dec 2017, 16:09

Time will tell if you're actually somali or another pretender, but.. Khysion is trying very hard to convince us that he's Somali. So don't take him too serious. He has to attack people and constantly say he's Somali so everyone can believe him. In reality, He's an insecure tigrayan. :lol: :lol:

Amharic is a beautiful and useful language indeed, so good luck. After my afaan oromo studies, I want to work on Amharic which I already speak daily with family to improve. Nothing beats actual practice of speaking a language you're trying to learn.

Best of luck man.

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion