Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

Libtards and Rethugs: Insulting Each Other as the “Elites” Laugh at Us

Postby teodroseIII » 26 Dec 2017, 17:56

No need to be coy here, I’ll admit it. There is something viscerally gratifying about putting people in their place. Nothing feeds the ego more and satiates the id as much as clapping back at people who try to shine at our expense. I’m sure even the most enlightened among us have a hard time returning slights with smiles. It’s just human nature to get defensive and lash back when others say something offensive and lash at us. Yet this habit of retorting with scorn against those who try to invert our happiness with their cynicism has become toxic and is poisoning the public airwaves—we have become a society of spite and snark.

Nowhere is this contemptuous conniption of ours more evident than when we are discussing politics and governance. Egged on by a corporate media that has monetized injustice and a political class that turned outrage into a business model to get elected and grab more power, we are devolving into the abyss of pejoratives and ad hominem. Matching wits is passe, we now just throw match sticks at our opponents and hope they catch on rhetorical fire. Aided by technology, we have become a Balkanized society where people seek out like minded thinkers and lambaste anyone who dares to think differently.

Social media once promised to Democratize information and connect people who would otherwise never talk to one another. Sadly, more and more social media is used to terrorize each other with information. Algorithms and group think condition us to fortify what we already know and disregard as “fake news” anything that runs counter to the dogmas we adore. Wisdom is a tree that needs to be continually nourished by the water of new learning. If we are not being challenged to think differently and instead only gather with people who feed into our preconceived notions, we let the tree of wisdom wither as our minds atrophy. Public discourse is being drowned by the monsoon of infantile tantrums.

I write this article in light of the GIF above that I saw this morning on Gab. It was a meme meant to disparage liberals in the most mean spirited way possible. It has become acceptable to disparage people who struggle with cognitive disorders and use mental health issues as bazookas to blast political opponents. All sides engage in this level of juvenile behavior; slurs like “libtards” and “rethugs” are freely tossed about to lampoon “the other side”. This is the problem with accepting an ideology or a label; the minute you frame your outlook through the prism of...continued...

read full article at: https://ghionjournal.com/libtards-and-rethugs/

Re: Libtards and Rethugs: Insulting Each Other as the “Elites” Laugh at Us

Postby DefendTheTruth » 26 Dec 2017, 19:42

I have to admit that I have difficulties understanding many of the words you used but I think it is still perhaps one of the most important issues that you have raised in here so far, which I came across.

People worked hard to enable us get a chance to access information, that we couldn't have dreamed of previously, but we then turn back and forget a privilege has also got a responsibility to observe.

Something that was supposed to empower us is becoming a challenge to our own (collective) wellbeing, which could be a dangerous situation, just because of our own's abuse of what we have been given for free.

So the solution seems to me now it is high time to contemplate about making a new regime that will govern the way we exchange information in the era of global information high-way.

And I think there are calls from many different corners to this need, not unexpectedly

Postby Degnet » 27 Dec 2017, 01:17

DefendTheTruth,
My apology for insulting in general because of my anger for just this reason,this is the best I read from you but still bye.

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion