Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

What If Mozart Was Not Famous?

Postby teodroseIII » 20 Dec 2017, 20:30

Young Mozart was a prodigy who knew more about music before the age of seven than most musicians are able to comprehend after spending a lifetime honing their craft. Some people are just naturals; they are born into their talent more than they acquire it. Such was the case with Mozart. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was raised in a family of music; the youngest of seven children, he grew up surrounded by compositions and concertos. Yet, as talented and uber gifted as he was, Wolfgang was never appreciated as Mozart until he was “discovered” and elevated by a prince’s court. It took his death to elevate him to the level of musical royalty.

Mozart’s ability to compose music and turn notes into soaring symphonies were evident long before he became famous. For most of his youth, Mozart and his family were more like servants of the royals. The would be European king of pianos and violins was living a life closer to a pauper as his parents toiled to make ends meet. Five of Mozart’s siblings died during infancy. Luckily, Mozart lived beyond the age of his departed brothers and sisters. Before he was old enough to fully grasp the alphabets, he was already picking up bars and notes. Yet for all his aptitude and prodigious talent, Mozart was not appreciated by the broader public until Prince-Archbishop Hieronymus Colloredo noted his gift and accepted young Mozart into his court.

I write this within the context of a comment one of the readers of the Ghion Journal and my follower on Twitter made to me yesterday after reading the piece I wrote about Cornel West and Ta-Nehisi Coates [read Truths about Ta-Nehisi Coates]. I will withhold his name out of respect for his privacy, let’s just call this fellow a friendly stranger who direct messaged me to give me a word of encouragement and moral support. He noted how he has been following my work for the past couple of months and that he is fascinated by what I write about and how I convey messages of hope and inclusiveness in my articles. He specifically noted:

“Been reading your articles the last few months. Much impressed. You seem to effortlessly distill whats really going on. And I think to myself why isn’t this guy more widely known?”

To be honest, I was humbled by his feedback. In the age of snark and ad hominem, it is getting rarer and rarer to hear compliments—it seems clap backs are preferred to applauses. I responded back and thanked this friendly stranger for his kind words and responded to his query. I told him that the reason I’m not more read and why I have not reached public acclaim is most likely because a lot of the things I write about are counter to conventional wisdom. I question the very things we are conditioned to accept; consequently, I am speaking against the very gate keepers who are...continued...

read full article at: https://ghionjournal.com/before-mozart/

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion